2009 Quarter Release Schedule

The first quarter from this year’s District of Columbia and US Territories Quarters Program had already been released. But what does the schedule look like for the rest of the year?

So far, I have not seen the US Mint publish a release schedule for the entire series on their website. However, I did come across some dates listed on a Federal Reserve site. Since many collectors are looking for this information, I wanted to share it in this post.

Note that the dates are indicated as estimated and subject to change, but at least this will provide a rough road map for anyone awaiting the release of the 2009 Quarters. Since my last post, the US Mint has also released some coin images in place of the artist’s reversions release previously.

If the release dates are changed, I will update this page with the latest information.

District of Columbia Quarter

Release Date: September 28, 2009
Designer and Sculptor: Joseph Menna

Northern Mariana Islands Quarter
Release Date: November 30, 2009
Designer: Richard Masters
Sculptor: Phebe Hemphill

Comments

1. Anonymous says

How is it that most of these quarters are being sold on ebay already when it hasn’t been released yet? Should buyer beware?

2. Anonymous says

While Guam is in the Mariana Islands group, the 2nd quarter for this area is for the Northern Mariana Islands.

3. Anonymous says

The reason Guam has a separate coin from the Northern Marianas is because Guam is an unincorporated territory of the United States by itself. The Northern Marianas is gouped as a separate territory, CNMI, or the Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas. I should know, I live on Guam ;-)

4. Anonymous says

I am curious as to why no one here in Ohio have yet to see a single 2009 quarter yet, and its already the 4th of May? In fact I had to look up the subject of the quarters to even know IF there was anything different design wise besides the tradtional quarters minted before 1999. Would think there would have been more talk about this then there has been.

5. Anonymous says

No offense against Duke Ellington, but I thought it would have been better for the District of Columbia to have the White House or some other famous Washington DC monument on the design.

6. Michael says

The US Mint offers a collectors map with slots for the six additional coins. You can find it on usmint.gov website. I believe there are also some private label ones out there too.

7. Anonymous says

Where are these coins being circulated. I've been to five different states and have yet to find a bank that has them or seen them in circulation. Are they only being distributed in the Districts and territories?

8. Michael says

The coins should eventually circulated in all 50 states. This is taking place much more slowly than for the previous 50 State Quarters series.

The primary reasons for the delayed circulation:

An abundance of older circulating coins which have re-entered circulation due to the economy. This prevents newer coins from being released.

Lower overall mintages. The latest quarter for Guam had roughly 20% of the mintage of the average mintage for state quarters.

Check out this post for some more info:

2009 Coin Production

9. Anonymous says

Here it is early September and I have yet to see the first 2009 quarter in circulation. Thats NONSENSE !!! They mint quarters every year and I find quarters from many decades every week in my pockets so what makes the difference now. Same thing with circulating coins from the two mints, I am still hunting Denver Mint Quarters for 2006.If the government wants to do these series then they need to make sure they get ALL coins well circulated from one side of the USA to the other.

10. Michael says

Sadly, I am hearing this story a lot. Last week, I finally received my first 2009 coin in circulation. It was an American Samoa Quarter. Everything else is still a no-show.

11. Mark says

I am in the same boat as Michael. I just received an American Samoa quarter and it is now October. I didn't even know the quarter had changed for 2009 until I got this one, and looked it up on the internet.

12. Anonymous says

I have been able to get the DC, PR, and Samoa quarters BUT the coin agency has charged me $1.00 for each — both Pa & D were available. Since I started at the beginning (my bank had a service for members) but the Territory quarters apparently weren't even available there. I feel I'm being ripped of but feel I have to complete this for the children I started it for.

13. Anonymous says

I am a teller in Washington, MO and so far have seen the 09' quarters from the beginning of the year. I'm curious as to which states you live in that haven't been able to find the quarters for this year.

14. Corryvrecken says

I stumbled across a Waashington DC quarter in September and from that found out about the others for this year. Haven't seen any of the others and apparently they are all released by now. I have asked everyone I know and no one has seen any of them, not even the DC one I have. I'm not going to worry about it and I do not expect to ever complete the set.

15. Anonymous says

Here in Idaho I purchased from the bank a roll for each quarter as they were made available. My family and I only needed a few of each for our books. I hate just to release these uncirculated quarters knowing someone would want them at face value.

16. Anonymous says

Lucky Idaho person. I go every week to three local banks ( all different) and have still not gotten a roll of ANY of the 2009 quarters. Additionally I have but 1 or 2 or the first 3 quarters and have never even set eyes on number 4 and 5. Even the folks at the banks state they very seldom see any.

17. Anonymous says

I just got the Northern Mariana Islands coin. This is the first one I have seen and it is 2010. Does anyone have new information on these?

18. ben says

i just got my first circulated coin Northern Mariana islands……..and didnt know about them till just now….november of the following year they were made…thats a little sad <=/

19. Ethan says

I saw them from the beginning of the year in 2009, and found a Washington D.C. one only a month after it was released. I found the rest over the year, except I was a little late with American Samoa.

20. Ethan says

I know it is 2012, and you probably have them all by now, but
    if you live in the central states of America, I think I know the problem:
    It takes longer for the coins to reach the middle states because they are made off to the far east and west. I think that Philidelphia makes more of the quarters than Denver. They have also become more rare, because I have more than one of all of them, but even as I live in New Hampshire it is 2012 and I now see them very seldom.