2010-2013 America the Beautiful 5 oz Silver Coin Mintages

atbWith the America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Coins wrapping up their fourth year of release, I thought it would be worthwhile to take a broader look at the series and provide a summary of the mintages or last reported sales for all issues to date.

The series of over-sized silver bullion and collector coins was authorized under Public Law 110-456, which had authorized the America the Beautiful Quarters Program. Specific requirements for the series included a purity of .999 silver, diameter of 3.0 inches, weight of 5.0 ounces, and the denomination of “quarter dollar.” The bullion coins were to be distributed through the authorized purchaser network utilized to distribute other bullion products. An allowance was also made for the National Park service to resell the coins at any national site honored in the America the Beautiful Quarters Program.

Some of the legislative requirements of the series were unusual or problematic. The diameter of 3 inches made the coins wider and thinner than the 5 ounce silver coins produced by other mints. This actually caused some production problems for the mint, which prompted the introduction of legislation to change the diameter requirement to “no less than 2.5 inches and no greater than 3.0 inches.” By the time the legislation was enacted, the US Mint had already produced and released some of the coins, so they chose to maintain the wide 3.0 diameter.

The denomination of “quarter dollar” made the face value of the coins ridiculously low compared to the intrinsic value of the coins. The American Silver Eagle which contains one ounce of silver carries a denomination of “one dollar”.

The distribution of the coins through the authorized purchaser network caused initial problems. When anticipated demand far surpassed production levels for the 2010-dated issues, the US Mint was forced to halt the program in the face of complaints from consumers about unreasonable premiums being charged by some distributors. The US Mint would resume the program after establishing specific conditions for distributors which limited orders and capped premiums. For the following year, the US Mint boosted production and the conditions were not necessary.

America the Beautiful 5 oz Silver Bullion Coin Mintages
2012 Denali 20,000
2013 White Mountain 35,000
2013 Perry’s Victory 30,000
2013 Great Basin 30,000
2013 Fort McHenry 30,000
2013 Mount Rushmore 35,000

Looking over the mintage figures for the America the Beautiful 5 oz. Silver Bullion Coins shows the wide swings in production that have already occurred for the four year old series. Following the high demand and limited production for the first year of the series, the US Mint ramped up production in 2011 to high levels which ultimately proved unsustainable. The following year, the US Mint reacted by cutting production perhaps too drastically. For the current year, production levels were increased, but all issues still saw relatively quick sell outs. This may portend another increase in production for the coming year.

The current mintage high for the bullion run occurs for the 2011 Gettysburg and 2011 Glacier designs at 126,700 pieces each. The mintage lows occur for the 2012 Hawaii Volcanoes and 2012 Denali designs at 20,000 pieces each.

The five 2010-dated issues each had mintages of 33,000 pieces, but seem to drive higher secondary market premiums. This is perhaps due to the unusual circumstances of the distribution of the coins. As mentioned, the US Mint had placed special conditions on the sale of these coins. Specifically, authorized purchasers were required to limit the premium to 10% above acquisition cost and place an order limit of only one coin per design per customer. The ordering limit presumably resulted in a wider and more fragmented distribution of the coins. Whereas other issues could be purchased in roll quantities and inventoried by dealers, the 2010-dated coins were all sold one at a time until depleted.

atb-numisFollowing the unusual and sometimes frustrating launch of the series in bullion format, the US Mint would offer the first collector versions of the coins in early 2011. These coins carried the “P” mint mark and had a special finish created through a vapor blasting technique. The maximum mintage levels for the 2010-dated coins were lower than the bullion mintages resulting in intense demand.

Each of the 2010-dated issues would sell out of the maximum mintage of 27,000 design initial ordering limits of one per household. The actual sales figures for the Grand Canyon issue were reported lower, presumably due to quality issues and/or higher returns.

In response to the sell outs, the US Mint would increase the maximum mintages for the 2011-dated issues to 35,000 per design. Enthusiasm for the series seemed to fizzle and the pace of sales was dramatically lower. The 2011-dated issues actually remained available until the end of 2012 when sales concluded in the Last Chance offering at levels far below the maximum.

The US Mint responded by cutting the maximum mintage level to 25,000 per design for both the 2012 and 2013-dated issues. However, for all issues the actual production has been below lower resulting in early and often unexpected sell outs.

America the Beautiful 5 oz. Silver Uncirculated Coin Mintages
2012-P Denali 15,225
2013-P White Mountain 20,530
2013-P Perry’s Victory 17,707
2013-P Great Basin 17,792
2013-P Fort McHenry 19,802
2013-P Mount Rushmore 23,540

Looking over the mintage or last reported sales figures for the America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coins shows the highest mintages occurring for the 2010-dated issues at 27,000 each or thereabouts.

The low occurs for the 2012-P Hawaii Volcanoes coin at 14,863 pieces. Ironically, this seems to be one of the most popular designs of the series, resulting in a combination of higher demand and lower mintage both driving secondary market prices. Not far behind are the low figures for the 2012-P Acadia and 2012-P Denali design at 14,863 and 15,225 pieces, respectively.

During 2013, sales figures ranged from a low of 17,707 for the Perry’s Victory design to a high of 23,540 for the Mount Rushmore design.

In the coming year, I expect that sales figures will move to higher levels. The series now has some secondary market winners under its belt and the low price of silver seems to be spurring a further increase in interest. The recently announced 10% discount on subscription orders should also have a beneficial impact on sales.

Comments

1. high low silver says

I guess we’re not too far off, I get low minted sets (2011 ann) and trade for a proof walker.I don’t sell on ebay,(maybe I should), I still like to barter and trade .

2. mark says

Yep…I would take the proof walker. Now sitting on 20 sets of the 2013 uncirculated dollar sets and 10 pcgs 2013 w ms70 burnished first strikes. These will double in price as soon as the unciculated sets show sold out. I will flip these and buy perth mint lunar series horses with the profits. FREE SILVER with a little work.

High low~Are you saying that the dealer you know gives the coins you mentioned in their change?

KEITHSTER~The 5* gold I bought is a 69, but with only some tiny bright spots noticeable under a 9 mag loop on LIBERTY. Also, it’s capsule was a mix-match of a gold eagle proof bottom and a commemorative top which didn’t fit together well and allowed the coin to shake around inside. Good luck to you!

Must have been a Freudian slip. Seriously though, these could be winners, and we will see soon.

6. HIdalgo says

@Dustyroads – I primarily collect general circulation coins. So your find of a 1993 double die penny intrigued me. There is a way to tell if the double die is due to a rotated die or if it is due to say, a “greasy” or “slippery” die.

7. HIdalgo says

@Keithster.

Re: Last Chance Products. My thoughts.

* The backordered 5 star coins. The US Mint likely will not produce any more of these coins before the end of the year. It seems that demand has exceeded supplies. Time will tell if these will have any secondary market values.

* First Spouse coins – if low mintages are your focus, then these are winners. However, demand appears to be soft. That’s why, in general, most of the uncertified coins in the series are not selling significantly higher than their issue price. In fact, some are selling lower because of the drop in precious metal values.

8. Buzz Killington says

Another absolutely fantastic article in this blog.

If this were an article about a rotating reverse silver dollar, I would be totally all in.

Yet, just like the FS gold coins, I just don’t connect with these enough as coins to be interested at all. Some of the artwork is nice (Rushmore I think was creative), but I find myself more interested in the Zombuck medal series, which is a creative take-off on classic themes. (Having said this, I can sort of sense this series is already losing steam, but I’m ready to be proven wrong.)

If I was interested in accumulating a lot of silver bullion, I think these pieces are a fantastic way to do that, and should be more marketable than, say, an Englehard 100 oz. bar. But as a coin collector, and not a bullion accumulator, these are just too much for me.

The interest on this blog in these pieces continues my speculation that coin collecting is undergoing a fundamental transformation as coins become less a part of our everyday lives.

Happy New Year!

9. Wdg5 says

The proof version sold out today, I wonder why they had 2 different dates for the PR and U/C versions of the 5* general gold coins.

10. Brian says

The preliminary data show a total of 39,430 uncirculated half dollars sold between the individual option and the profiles set. One or more dealers got greedy and bought about 3,000 of them this week.

That puts the combined mintage only a dozen coins below the 2011 Army half. With the profile set still available it will certainly surpass it today and tomorrow.

That probably will kill any potential resale value on these. Too bad for me as I ordered a few dozen back when there was introductory pricing.

11. mark says

Thanks for the info…just cancelled my backorder for 10. Not worth the risk for a clad half dollar.

12. Eddie says

Do you think if and when they offer a Kennedy half set that the Mint would offer it in May or November?
    I know this is off topic.

Brian,
    Thanks for the info. There is still some hope as the prelim. data has been consistently wrong and too high lately, and probably includes orders that may not get filled. Plus there could be a lot of cancellations of pending orders now. I want to see tomorrow’s report # and next week’s.

14. HIdalgo says

@Eddie – I would not be surprised if the US Mint had an ordering window, like it did for the past two American Silver Eagle sets and the reverse proof Buffalo gold coin. If so, then I would say the US Mint would likely offer the Kennedy half set more towards May than November.

If the US Mint does have an order-as-many-as-you want ordering period, I would not expect secondary market values to be high for uncertified coins. Why? There would be no “surprise” factor since everyone who can afford a set can buy one.

If you look at secondary market values for the two ASE sets and reverse proof Buffalo gold coins, you’ll see that values are not significantly higher than the US Mint’s original issue price for uncertified coins.

15. HIdalgo says

@Joseph – yes, I was able to place an order in my cart. It comes and goes. Give it time. If you can’t wait, simply pick up the phone and call the US Mint’s customer service phone number.

16. gary says

With the great new line up of designs for the ATBs for 2014 I look forward to my only 5 purchases from the Mint for the year. I started with the 1st two P-Mint issues in 2010 but gave up with silver so expensive at the time. The designs of 2012-2013 were of such great quality of design that I decided to collect them but only in OGP. Ebay was a great place to pick up the coins individually this past year as so many were available for less than Mint issue prices. Happy New Year

17. Joseph says

Thank you,Hldalgo. I finally placed my order. kept trying for about 15 minutes

@Brian/Mark, the 5 * generals 3-coin set was a proof version.it had no UNC coin in it. so ,I think, those will not count toward the total of unc clad. now it is about 29k sold, still the lowest mintage of all modern commemorative clad half. am I right?

18. HIdalgo says

@Joseph – the 3 coin set was all proofs. The Profile set has all uncirculated coins. Both sets will affect the count of single proof or uncirculated versions of the coins contained in the set.

19. Steve says

Easy to overlook the seemingly still under-priced 2013-P set. The mintages on those for the most part are fewer than the ’10 set. Still a great buy. I grabbed a complete set on ebay Sunday for $1009. Would imagine with the Mint making the purchase of these more appealing starting with ’14 issues the first 4 years may turn out to be the best investments as potential for higher mintages the final six years could be 50%+ higher than ’10-13 sets. The complete 10 year set could turn out to be quite a sleeper in just a few years.

20. Steve says

I have 19 of the “P” mint marked 5 oz ATB’s I need to sell ASAP for a great price, either all together or individually. My mom is in a nursing home on hospice and no burial nor life insurance. Email me at SLSawyer@webtv.net if interested. THANKS! Will start putting them on ebay first of week (March 31) but would love to avoid all those fees.