2010-P Grand Canyon Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coin

It’s time for another America the Beautiful 5 oz. silver numismatic release. Today, June 29, 2011 at 12:00 Noon ET, the US Mint will begin accepting orders for the Grand Canyon National Park Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coins.

The reverse of the coin, designed and sculpted by Phebe Hemphill, features a view of the granaries above the Nankoweap Delta in Marble Canyon near the Colorado River. The obverse features the 1932 portrait of George Washington by John Flanagan.

Following the format of previous numismatic releases, the coins will include the “P” mint mark and carry a finish created through a vapor blasting technique.

The Grand Canyon Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coins are priced at $279.95 each and have a maximum mintage of 27,000. An ordering limit of one coin per household has been established and will remain in place for at least the first week of sales.

This will represent the fourth numismatic release in the program. The first release featuring Hot Springs saw a flood of orders during the opening hour of sales that took down the US Mint’s website. Orders were received to meet the 27,000 mintage following 15 days of availability, after which a waiting list was imposed.

The next release featuring Yellowstone National Park experienced a less turbulent opening, and the US Mint’s website remained operational. The pace of sales was around the same level as the prior release, with a sell out achieved after 15 days. This time, there was no waiting list.

The most recent release featuring Yosemite National Park saw opening sales that were somewhat slower than the prior two releases. However, after 14 days of availability, orders had been received to meet the 27,000 maximum and a waiting list was imposed. The coins still remain available for ordering on the US Mint’s website on a waiting list basis.

Once again, it’s likely that the Grand Canyon design will achieve a sell out of the maximum mintage. If the pattern of the last two releases holds, the coins might be available for about two weeks.

The big question is how will the US Mint handle the future numismatic releases of the series after the last of the 2010-dated coins? Presumably, the low mintage of 27,000 was the result of the limited time frame and/or precious metals blanks available before the close of last year. Given the opportunity, will the US Mint increase the mintage levels, as they did for the bullion versions of the coin? The 2010-dated bullion coins had 33,000 per design, while the 2011-dated versions have had 126,700 per design.

In terms of collector products, the US Mint has a tendency to increase mintage levels for products that quickly sell out. At some point, the increased mintages start to have the opposite effect and actually serve as a detriment to sales. A recent example is the one ounce Proof Platinum Eagle, which had a maximum mintage of 8,000 coins in 2009. This was increased to 10,000 for 2010, and finally 15,000 for the current year. The 2009 and 2010 issues sold out in about a week, while this year’s coin has been lingering and selling slowly. Nearly doubling the maximum mintage may be a significant factor in the slower sales.

Personally, I would prefer if the US Mint keeps the same 27,000 maximum mintage for the 2011-dated numismatic ATB 5 oz. Silver Coins. This would maintain a level of enthusiasm and collectibility based to the limited nature, which would help to preserve the collector base for the ongoing series.

Comments

1. Anonymous says

It's too early to tell yet, but forces are working against a price drop on gold coins next week. Today's fixes were both above $1,500, but low enough that a couple of fixes around $1,490 would pull the average down enough to make a decrease feasible. The big disadvantage working against us this period is the fact that the average could fall below $1,500, but all it takes to prevent a price drop is the Wednesday PM fix to rebound enough to be at $1,500 or more. That would be a kick in the head if that happened.

If we miss a price drop next week, I'll probably just have to fork over the extra $75 for my three coins and be done with it. I don't want to receive someone else's reject coins. Waiting any longer could result in that.

2. Anonymous says

I just checked and gold is back just below $1500. I hope is stays below $1500 so the mint lowers prices soon – I'd like to get a AGE W unc if I can get the money together.

3. Anonymous says

The Bullion versions of all these coins are SO much more appealing to the eye and REASONABLY priced to boot….
    Don't waste your funds on these sandblasted soup can tops!

4. Anonymous says

I'm finishing out ordering these last two pucks so that I will have two complete sets of P mintmark 2010 five ouncers— but that's the end of the road for me on this series with the exception of I'll pick up a 2011 Gettysburg (my home state) if offered with the P mintmark.

I'm sure I've lost my backside on the three sets of graded bullion versions of the 2010's. But I'll hold and hope that time heals the losses— I'm expecting a three year hold or so to come back to a break even point. Hopefully.

I've been switching to purchasing pure bullion— old poured 10 ounce and 100 ounce JM and Engelhard's.

5. John Abbott says

@9:34 If they're smart they'll offer the Gettysburg with a P. They have to, right?

6. Silver Sam says

There appear to be experts on sending a coin in for grading. I am new at this. Could someone give a listing of how to do it for a first timer?

Silver Sam

7. Silver Sam says

It appears that there are experts that can give me a listing on how to send a coin in for grading. I would like to try it. Any details are appreciated!!!

8. Anonymous says

12:17

If you are planning on keeping the coin I would retain the coin in OGP.

9. Anonymous says

Anyone buying these ATBs for any other reason then a long term investment is kidding themselves. Yes you might get lucky and hit a ms70 and make a good profit off of someone that believes in the grading slabs adding value. But the only way you will really be able to capitalize on these 5 oz coins is long term when silver hits $70.00+. The grading companies have been pushing plastic slabs since 1980s and more so when PCGS falsely claimed that they were the first grading company in the 90s. Some how some way and mostly through authorized dealer cooperation have these high grade slabs taken so much money out of the pockets of unknowing coin collectors that it has all but ruined the hobby IMHO. Coin collecting used to be all about history and beauty and the actual coin. Now it has fallen victim to the greed of the grading companies with their false claimed price guides and Authorized dealers who peddle this garbage that ultimately ruins a coin long term. Go with OGP and look long term and enjoy your coins and the history they provide to the up coming generations. Just my 2 cents worth. I prefer to spend my money were it is best appreciated. OGPs.

10. Anonymous says

Buyers must have enough experiences buying so-called uncirculated or "in mint's capsule since day one" that only turned out to be bull**** at closer inspection upon receipt of items in the mail to agree with me that between the two here: they'd rather take an independent grader's word than sellers' sensational descriptions of their items online many times over.

In long term, yes in the long terms, this works out cheaper and less disappointing.

11. Anonymous says

There actually exists a market and buyers who purchase only OGP. Every coin is a work of art and represents something well beyond ****-****. The grade in reality is frankly only an artifact! Even a perfect 70 grade can be neither subjective nor objective, with concomitant value referenced to a hypothetical set of data at best. And frankly, there is more ****-**** in hyped up TPG coin values than in original USMint pricing for their esteemed products.

12. Anonymous says

"can be neither subjective nor objective, with concomitant value referenced to a hypothetical set of data at best"

You sir are a mental giant, LOL!

I DO think buying 1oz coins makes more sense.
    Could you imagine cutting an ATB into five slices after paper is no longer accepted as payment for things?

13. Anonymous says

Hmm

Yes, the ancient Chinese had been cutting silver into tiny bits for daily usage for hundreds of years when silver was still money.

No, I was just joking. When that day comes, we need the entire series of 56 ATBs to buy a slice of bread (because it will be so un-popular that no one would want it).

14. Anonymous says

Yes, of course, one ounce silver will be better for daily trades when paper money is worthless. But 5 ouncers (and 100 ounce bars) are better for bigger trades, like buying a vehicle, or paying off your mortgage.