2010 Yosemite National Park 5 Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coin

Tomorrow, June 9, 2011 at 12:00 Noon ET, the United States Mint will begin sales of the 2010-P Yosemite National Park Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coin. This continues the steady release of the numismatic versions of the America the Beautiful Silver Coins.

The first issue featuring Hot Springs was released on April 28 and reached a sell out (waiting list) on May 13. The next issue featuring Yellowstone National Park was released on May 17 and sold out (without a waiting list) on June 1. The total availability period for each product was 15 days.

The Yosemite coin features a view of the granite rock formation known as El Capitan, which rises more than 3,000 feet above the valley floor. This was designed by Joseph Menna and sculpted by Phebe Hemphill. The obverse of the coin features the restored 1932 portrait of George Washington designed by John Flanagan.

Each coin contains 5 troy ounces of .999 fine silver and has a diameter of 3 inches. This numismatic release carries the “P” mint mark and has a special finish created through a vapor blasting technique applied after striking.

Details of the offering match those of the previous two releases. There is a total mintage of 27,000 units. Pricing will be $279.95, with an ordering limit of one per household imposed.

The US Mint does caution that the pricing is subject to change, but the same price level has been used consistently across a wide range of silver market prices. When the Hot Springs coin went on sale silver was above $48 per ounce, and when Yellowstone was first offered, silver was around $34.

It seems fairly likely that the 2010-dated numismatic America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Coins will continue to sell out. Collectors seem to be motivated by the unique nature of the offering and the limited 27,000 mintage.

Coin Update News: NGC Will Certify 2011 Silver Eagles Struck in San Francisco

Comments

1. Anonymous says

Good point, 6:16pm. Plus 69 PL and DMPL sets are the highest grade available and will be worth a lot some day esp. in PCGS holders. Some 69 DMPL coins are already worth a lot and have held their value this year and even gone up because of low pop. I have one of those (worth around $1300) which cost me $200 from an AP. Sometimes it really pays to have your coins graded, no matter what some of you folks think.

2. Anonymous says

I bet that you did not get it from APMEX. They cherry picked their coins.

They sold first strike: scratched to the public and are selling the 68,69 on their site. Check it out!

3. dr joe says

to the 8:31 pa blog

I got a set from APMEX that was graded, my only coins I have ever had graded, I received 1-69 pl and 2 of the 69dmpl grades. No I do not work for them or do I have any special relatiionship with them. I am not sure why the luck of the draw smiled on me and not others but that is life. I would be more upset at the mint and why there is such a difference betweeen coins stuck at the same place with the same machines and same blanks, not the people who sell what is sent to them.

All in all, so far a fun series to collect and share with family and friends!

4. Anonymous says

I,m amfraid the day has come where all coins must be graded. people really don,t want ungraded coins for many dif. reasons. they really have no trust in what a dealer thinks a coins grade is . those days have come and gone.

5. Anonymous says

PCGSI and NGC graded coins are starting to be side by side in their prices. In some cases NGC is starting be wourth more than PCGS

6. Anonymous says

I heard Donald Trump is collecting the 5 oz coins. Too bad he didn't run for president. He would be much better than Obama. Besides Obama is an illegal alien anyway. Trump is pure America.

7. Anonymous says

I never knew that "pure America" meant never having a real job, inheriting millions from daddy, bankrupting one company after an other, marrying chicks who only dig you for your cash, and last but not least sporting a ridiculous "hairstyle".

8. Anonymous says

Expressing "political views" in a coin forum….how delightful…. and we coin collectors thought we'd only be discussing coins….