2011 America the Beautiful Quarter Design Candidates

While collectors are still awaiting the final design announcements for the 2010 America the Beautiful Quarters, the Commission of Fine Arts (CFA) and Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee (CCAC) recently reviewed the 2011 design candidates provided by the US Mint.

Based on the US Mint’s design selection process for the American the Beautiful Quarters Program, these candidates were prepared based on source materials provided by a federal liaison to each site. The candidate designs are reviewed by the CCAC, CFA, the Secretary of the Interior, and the chief executive of the host jurisdiction. The United States Mint may make changes to the candidate designs as a result of the review process. The Director of the Mint will make a final recommendation to the Secretary of the Treasury, who has authority to make the final decision.

The images shown below represent the designs recommended by the CCAC. You read a full report on Coin Update News report written by Les Peters who attended the CCAC meeting.

Read the full article on Coin Update News:
2011 America the Beautiful Quarters CCAC Recommendations

Gettysburg National Military Park Quarter – Pennsylvania

Glacier National Park Quarter – Montana

Olympic National Park Quarter – Washington

Vicksburg National Military Park Quarter – Mississippi

Chickisaw National Recreation Area Quarter – Oklahoma

The CFA recommended the same designs for Glacier National Park and Olympic National Park. For Gettysburg National Military Park, they recommended a view of the Soldiers National Monument with some modifications. For Vicksburg Natoinal Military Park, the CFA recommended an arch located at the entrance of the park. The CFA had no clear favorite among the design candidates for Chickisaw National Recreation Area.

Comments

1. coinman says

Could I be misstaken in saying that the 2011 Vicksburg quarter is the first quarter with a military war machine on it. I dont recall any other coin on the 20th century having any tank,bomber,battleship or anything like that on it. Cant wait untill they come out I love collecting state quarters.

2. John says

I think any military themed quarter will be very successful. Both of those designs are very cool. I think a lot of people are putting down this future series but if they can pull off some interesting designs then maybe this series will be better than the state quarter series. I already like those designs better than any of the state quarters. I think in the long run our grand children would prefer the parks quarters over the state quarters because of better designs and lower mintages and less bu rolls available.

3. John says

After reading the bold prediction comments I wouldn't be surprised if there is a sell out on the 5 ouncers. Since I think most of 2010 will be boring I think this may be a big winner for the year. I guess time will tell.

4. Anonymous says

I love the Olympic, Glacier and Vicksburg designs. The Gettysburg is OK but I was hoping for something that made a more powerful statement. The Chickasaw design is very bland and I can't imagine that showing up well on a coin, especially the background. All in all I am excited though, if the 1st years has the quality of a few of these I'll be happy.

5. s. jackson says

yes yes the civil war-themed designs are very nice, something every american can get behind, we need more meaningful historically-oriented themes, i'm in for many of these.

6. Anonymous says

I LIVE IN OKLAHOMA AND HAVE BEEN TO THE SITE PORTRAYED ON THE QUARTER THAT IS IN TISHOMINGO. IF THAT IS THE BEST THEY CAN DO, THEN JUST SKIP OKLAHOMA. WE HAVE BEAUTIFUL FORESTED MOUNTAINS IN THE SOUTHEAST OR DINOSAUR FOSSILS IN THE NORTHWEST, BUT THIS DEPICTION SUCKS, REALLY. MAYBE THEY NEED TO PUT AN INDIAN CASINO ON THE COIN AS MOST INDIAN TRUST LAND IS COVERED WITH THEM TODAY. IF THEY WANT TO HONOR INDIAN PARKS, THEY COULD USE A PICTURE OF THE NEW CASINO OPENING NEXT WEEK IN DURANT, A $300,000,OOO MONUMENT TO WHAT THE INDIANS TODAY CAN DO. JUST A THOUGHT

7. Anonymous says

Maybe the mint should rename 2011 America the Beautiful quarters to…"America the less Beautiful".

Can't see much beauty in war toys!

Please, pass the ammunition…

J. W. Booth

8. Lasloo says

I'm not sure these will translate on the actual quarter, but these designs should look (I think) really nice on the big 5 ounce bullion versions.

btw, CoinWorld said that the Commission members recommended the archway over the ironclad image for the Vicksburg quarter. And the Chickasaw one, many didn't like the "swimming pool" image… preferred a bridge version and/or one with a heron in it.

Seems to me the Commissions are generally going for AB quarters that 1)lack of people, 2) focus on nature, not things.

9. Les says

@Lasloo: from my observation, there was an aversion to seeing modern individuals in the designs, but in the Chickasaw pool design, having the person there is important to provide a sense of scale.

10. Anonymous says

Impress your friends with useless trivia.
    The elk in the Olympic quarter is a Roosevelt Elk, not a Rocky Mountain Elk. Bit bigger.

J

11. Anonymous says

These will be more sought for than the State quarters if they design like the renditions show. On the Boy Scout coin, as a former scout I am very disheartened at what Secretary G. has selected. I shall not order one and I encourage all to let their Representatives and Senators know how dissatisfied we collectors are by such designs featuring PC junk. Will there be a "boy" on the Girl Scout coin?

12. Anonymous says

Looks like the 2008 Dollar sets are off the Mint website. I purchased two – are any of you opening them or keeping them sealed in the plastic shrink wrap?

13. Anonymous says

The '08 dollar sets are still available at APMEX web site for $36.21 plus shipping. I don't know how they got them at less than mint price unless they are depreciating on the open market or they make it up on shipping. I bought a Lewis & Clark set with the Bison note reproduction a few years ago. I believe the mint price was around $90 and you can now get them on fleabay for $35. Fortunately I like the set even though value dropped precipitously. Always buy what you like.

14. Anonymous says

To earlier poster:

What's that Lewis and Clark set with Bison note listed under on eBay? I did a search but didn't find it. What title or subject did you find it under? Thanks.

15. Anonymous says

Above poster the bison note in Lewis & Clark set is a reproduction of the face of the note no reverse. Very well done reproduction of the face of the note. Also there is a set or used to be on ebay of a bison note reproduction set which came out around the time of the Buffalo commemorative dollar. I can't remember exactly what that set was called. Maybe just Bison note set.

16. Anonymous says

To the Anonymous "yelling" (all CAPS) commenter from Oklahoma – the site depicted for Oklahoma is NOT in Tishomingo, it's in Sulphur – the location of Chickasaw National Recreation Area. (Hence the name "Chickasaw" at the top of the coin.)

17. Anonymous says

I'll be collecting all of the Parks quarters… in the annual proof and mint sets. I fell for the State quarters marketing hype. This one will probably do well if the mintages are lower. I doubt many of those "140 million" SQ collectors, that are now spending their worthless collections, will bother.

18. Robert Wayne says

The Vicksburg quarter should be showing the Mississippi civilians defending the city from yankee invaders instead of that gunboat.