2011 America the Beautiful Quarters Uncirculated Coin Set

The United States Mint will begin sales of the 2011 America the Beautiful Quarters Uncirculated Coin Set tomorrow, April 19, 2011 at 12:00 Noon ET. This is one of several separate sets developed for the new quarter program.
The 2011 America the Beautiful Quarters feature: Gettysburg National Military Park, Glacier National Park, Olympic National Park, Vicksburg National Military Park, and Chickasaw National Recreation Area.

The upcoming set includes uncirculated versions of the 2011 quarters minted at Philadelphia and Denver. The ten-coin set is priced at $21.95, which remains unchanged from the price of last year’s set.

The US Mint indicates that the coins included in this set feature a “brilliant uncirculated finish.” This seems to be the same “brilliant finish” that was recently adopted for the 2011 Uncircualted Mint Set.

Last year, the 2010 ATB Uncirculated Coin Set included coins with the “satin finish.” Since this set went on sale November 23, 2010, the US Mint has recorded sales of 24,553 units. The product continues to remain available for sale.

2011 Silver Proof Sets

Earlier today, the US Mint suspended sales of the 2011 Silver Proof Set and 2011 America the Beautiful Quarters Silver Proof Set. On Friday, I had mentioned such a possibility, as the price of silver exceed $42 per ounce.

In order to adjust prices for products not included under the US Mint’s gold and platinum numismatic pricing policy, new prices must be published in the Federal Register. This process can take several weeks, during which time sales are suspended.

Comments

1. Anonymous says

Michael,

After I read your article on Friday, I immediately purchased 3 siler quarter sets and 3 regular silver proof sets. As always, thank you for the timely information.

TMM

2. Anonymous says

THE US MINT HAS TAKEN THE COMMENT OFF THEIR WEB SITE THAT THEY WILL BE OFFERING FOR SALE IN THE FALL THE 2011 UNC SILVER EAGLES

3. Anonymous says

Thanks for the info on Friday. I got my two silver sets before the suspension. I was actually thinking they might go down in price later in the year but I figured I should get them now before they get any higher. I wish the mint would put out the Silver Eagle Proofs now because the way this metal market is going it may cost $100.00 just for one. Anybody remember $29.95?

4. Anonymous says

Yeah, I remember $29.95 for proof silver eagles. Even then it was still a tremendous mark-up over the metal value. But it looks pretty good today!

It's kind of like the price of gasoline. The first time it hit $2.099 a gallon, I was HORRIFIED. Now, I'd pay that with a big smile on my face the entire time I was filling up the tank. It all depends on from which direction you're approaching the number! 🙂

5. Anonymous says

I purchased gas for $1.34 in 2009 in the Denver area. Remember complaining when gas hit $1. I was paying $0.75 typically in New Mexico.

6. Anonymous says

Lets see…

Each quarter probably costs around 6 cents per quarter for the material alone.

10 quarters x 6 cents = 60 cents. This is a nice hint at their profit margins.

7. Anonymous says

I am really happy that the US Mint is still offering non-silver coin collectibles. I am a collector and enjoy collecting US Mint sets like these.

8. Mint News Blog says

"Michael, when the 2011 ATB quarter sets become available, do you think the US Mint will take down the 2010 sets?"

I think the 2010 sets will remain available. These only went on sale November 23.

9. Anonymous says

Man, I am glad I ordered 4 Silver Quarter Sets Sunday evening. Maybe I should have pulled the trigger on more, but with the FS coins going up so fast in price, I need the funds for those. Trying to keep that Proof Set going. But it is getting costly.

10. Anonymous says

I'm trying to keep one proof and two unc First Spouse sets going. Talk about costly!

This very well could be the year that I have to abandon another set (like I did my second proof set after 2008.) I hate to do it, but how much more money can I sink into this? I really wanted to have an extra complete set of uncs at the end, but then I would not have even one complete set of proofs. Sigh.

11. Anonymous says

Does anyone actually know why the Mint marks up the cost of the uncirc sets so much above the cost of the base metals in the coins? Does it really cost them that much to strike BU coins?

Nick

12. Anonymous says

Non-PM sets are truly for the collector (not the investor or flipper) as they usually lose value. I have some nice clad UC 2000 sets that I could sell on ebay for $7 each.
    Mint sells packaging for mark-up.
    Good news is that total cost of this "junk" usually will not break the bank.

13. Anonymous says

I predict that the Hot Springs 5 oz. "P" numismatic coin will be a secondary market loser. It will be able to make some mark-ups right off the bat after the inevitable first-day sellout, but will sink like a lead boot shortly after. Flippers had better unload them QUICK, and be satisfied with what they get.

Sure, if the price of silver continues to rise then there will be some protection there. However, a mintage of 27,000, while small for a silver coin, is not THAT rare these days. Remember, the 2007 First Spouse coins had 20,000 of each finish, and they are only worth melt value today. They still make money for those who bought them from the Mint (courtesy of much cheaper gold, hence a much cheaper Mint issue price) back then. But that is not guaranteed this time around.

Be smart! You might want to let your brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, Fido and Fluffy pass on these! 🙂

14. Anonymous says

Nice try, I'm not bite'n on that.
    I think it will be the most sought after piece in the series.

15. Anonymous says

Yeah. Hot Springs will be a loser. Everyone don't buy. Maybe they will lift purchase limits and the rest off us can order unlimited. HA HA

16. Anonymous says

9:21 am:

I'm not planning on selling mine, but I disagree with you. The numismatic 5oz is much more desirable than the say Martha Washington first spouse. Martha had a total mintage of 40k and she is not nice looking at. The 5 oz size is very rare. I guarantee the 5oz UC70 will be worth maybe $1000 or more.

I hope PCGS changes the holders fast or they will quickly lose market share to the far superior NGC holders.
    It cracks me up that a blogger said he didn't care that he couldn't read the 0.999 5 oz silver etched on the side of the coin since he "knew it was there". NGC has an awesome slab to see the entire "suspended" coin. I prefer the PCGS holders over the old NGC holders, but come on PCGS!, make a new slab for the big coins. The edges are too wide to be hidden/obscured in your holders! I would stay away from any current PCGS 5oz holders (much prefer raw 5oz than the PCGS slab).

I'm looking forward to my 5oz numismatic coin and KNOW it will keep a nice premium forever (unless Trump becomes president and silver tanks because we have a strong country/ dollar again…nah that won't happen).

17. Mint News Blog says

MR ALL CAPS who has been having a dialogue with himself- Can you please stop?

18. Anonymous says

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble.
    You all have heard Hans Christian Anderson's "Emperor's New Clothes"? Came out in the early 19th century?
    I've been collecting coins for 40 years and the reverse proof ain't all that!

Look at a ASE proof next to the reverse proof (side by side) and you must convince yourself that the reverse proof is something special. The "vanilla" proof is much more dramatic and pleasing to the eye than the reverse proof.

Yes, I bought some (and will not sell mine) due to my knowledge that it will command premiums, but it is not an eye popper at all. Why don't we just admit it, and stop pretending it is something that it is not.

I'm in for the numismatic ATBs.
    Too bad we can't have a subscription with a one/household limit to free ourselves from the insanity, but I guess I'll have to deal. I really think it will not sell out within the first day of offering, but I may be wrong.

Also, don't be surprised if the Mint changes their mind and raises the price to over $300 now that silver keeps going up. Maybe the offering day will be delayed since they can't seem to change silver pricing for weeks on end…

19. Anonymous says

I'm telling ya, unless you want it for yourself and want to commit to an additional $1,500+ per year for your coin collection, DUMP the Hot Springs "P" coins QUICK! With the tremendous number of them hitting the market immediately after the Mint sellout, prices will drop by the day, even the hour. If you're not careful, the fees will make you end up taking a LOSS on it!

If you have faith and don't mind sitting on that much money if prices go south, hold on to it and see what happens. Me, I'll be dumping mine for whatever I can get on day one!

20. Anonymous says

Anon 11:28, don't worry about taking a loss on it. I'll buy it from you for whatever you paid (as long as you don't put it in a PCGS holder).

21. Anonymous says

This UNC quaters set cost 21.95.Use your head and get the complete UNC set for 10.00 more dollars.

22. Anonymous says

Anon 11:28. Yes, I want one for myself. Sure, I'll commit an additional 1500.+ for my collection. Some here on this blog actually enjoy collecting and enjoy the hunt for those coins we desire. We also enjoy & appreciate Mint News Blog for timely, interesting Mint News. I for one don't enjoy your misguided/deceptive flippin' advice. Maybe an ebay forum would suit you better.

23. Anonymous says

I enjoy collecting coins too, and I also enjoy the blog. I'm not averse to making some money off my hobby, though. I'm sure many others here are not either, if they have the means.

My advice is not "misguided" or "deceptive". It's truly what I believe will happen. If it doesn't, then it will mean I was wrong.

24. Anonymous says

I think tomorrow may be the day when gold (for the first time ever on the planet as far as I know) crosses over $1500.

This should make headlines in the papers!

25. Anonymous says

Anonymous @ April 19, 2011 11:28 AM –

I wonder why you keep bashing the US Mint's Hot Springs P coin.

How many sets of dealer's ATB 5 ounce bullion coins do you have… hmmmmm?

26. Anonymous says

Excellent advice to get the whole Mint set rather than pay $10 less for just the quarters. I may be wrong but weren't last year's quarter sets $10. Why more than double the price? I agree one will never make a dime on these. I just enjoy having some collections for the pure fun (as long as the outlay is minimal). If nothing else, it's a nice set to pass on to a child to get them started.
    On the Hot Springs 5 oz, please give it a rest with the advice not to buy!! If you don't want one, don't buy one, and if you think they will do poorly, that's your view, but you will be proven wrong! The ones I personally would skip are the 2011 bullion versions. The AP's can charge whatever they want. Chatanooga is already asking $300 in a Coin World ad. The Mint's 27,000 version will cost almost the same, maybe less than what a lot of AP's will charge for the bullion esp. when silver tops $45 (probably tomorrow!). If nothing else, sell your numismatic versions as silver rises and use the profits for what you want. But there's not much logic to your argument in my humble opinion!

2011 America the Beautiful Quarters

Amidst the tumultuous announcements and events of the past few weeks, the United States Mint unveiled the design selections for the 2011 America the Beautiful Quarters.

The United States Mint typically prepares three to five design candidates for each quarter based on source materials provided by a federal liaison to the site. The design candidates are provided to the Secretary of the Interior, the chief executive of the host jurisdiction, the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee (CCAC), the Commission of Fine Arts (CFA) for review and comment. The final decision is made by the Secretary of the Treasury.

Since the opinions expressed by the CCAC and CFA are publicly available, it is always interesting to see how the final design selections compare to their recommendations.

Included below are images of the designs selected for each of the 2011 America the Beautiful Quarters, the designers and sculptors, circulation release dates, and some information about the recommendations and comments provided by the CCAC and CFA.

Images of all of the original design candidates can be found here.

Gettysburg National Military Park Quarter
Designed by Joel Iskowitz and sculpted by Phebe Hemphill
Release Date: January 24, 2011

The reverse design depicts the 72nd Pennsylvania Infantry Monument. The CCAC had discussed the design candidates for this quarter at length, due to the importance of the battle as a turning point of the Civil War. They had encouraged the US Mint to prepare other design candidates that were more symbolic in nature, but had recommended the selected design with 12 out of 33 possible votes. The CFA had recommended a different design candidate depicting Soldier’s National Monument.

Glacier National Park Quarter
Designed by Barbara Fox and sculpted by Charles Vickers
Release Date: April 4, 2011

The selected design portrays a view of the northeast slope of Mount Reynolds with a mountain goat standing on a rocky outcropping in the foreground. This design candidate was the clear favorite of both the CCAC and CFA.

Olympic National Park Quarter
Designed by Susan Gamble and sculpted by Michael Gaudioso
Release Date: June 13, 2011

A Roosevelt Elk is shown standing on a gravel river bar of the Hoh River. Mount Olympus is seen in the background. Once again, this was in agreement with the recommendations of both the CCAC and CFA.

Vicksburg National Military Park Quarter
Designed by Thomas Cleveland and sculpted by Joseph Menna
Release Date: August 29, 2011

The reverse of the quarter depicts the U.S.S. Cairo on the Yazoo River, as it would have appeared when it served during the Civil War. This was a city class ironclad gunboat of the Union Navy. The CFA had recommended this design, commenting on the quality of the composition, and its virtue of showcasing the historical significance of the Navy during the Civil War. The CFA had favored a different design candidate, which depicted the entrance arch of the park.

Chickasaw National Recreation Area Quarter
Designed by Donna Weaver and sculpted by Jim Licaretz
Release Date: November 14, 2011

The reverse design features an image of Lincoln Bridge, dedicated in 1909 for the centennial of Lincoln’s birth. The CCAC had recommended a different candidate, which depicted Buffalo Springs amid its stone spillway. The CFA did not recommend any of the design candidates, but had suggested that the selected design be further developed by simplifying or eliminating the landscape setting. No changes from the original candidate are apparent.

Comments

1. Anonymous says

These designs are so much better than the 50 state quarter set it isn't even funny. I am really looking forward to collecting all of these and if I have the money, I'll be buying the bullion versions of these as well.

2. Anonymous says

Has anyone contacted NGC or PCGS to see what the grading amount is per coins for the 5 ouncers?

3. Anonymous says

These are much better designs than this years. I'll always think Yellowstone's looks cartoonish. Olympic's, Glacier's, and Vicksburg's are great. I love the wildlife in the foreground and the geology in the background. To me these show a bit of our National treasures and some history as well.

Gettysburg is my only disappointment, it could have made a much stronger statement than it does. On the bigger coin it might be alright but that little figure isn't going to be much on a quarter.

This first year is a rushed mess but I have great hopes for the future. And yes I'm into the quarters and the "big ones" as well. These are going to be nice.

4. Anonymous says

Michael, sorry to bring this up here but the other thread has burned itself out and those 5 ouncers are the biggest story of the year and everyone's chomping at the bit as to what is happening!

Do you have any insiders who can shed some light on the situation? APMEX was supposed to announce their program today. Others' sites say they are thinking about what to do. What's the holdup?

Are their lawyers looking for loopholes? Are they trying to get together and force the Minto to change the rules? Get a Congress Critter to bend some arms?

I know they must be livid at not being able to give all the goodies to their insiders and friends.

5. Anonymous says

I am starting to get the feeling that some very shady stuff is about to take place with the 5oz ATB coins!

If any of the APs do not fully comply with the Mint's rules, they should be removed from their AP status permanately!

Then, the Mint has enough time to get things setup to start selling ALL BULLION directly from their website to the public before the end of 2011, and put the APs out of business!

6. Anonymous says

Michael, Any truth to the Mint updating their web site? And when the 2011 schedule will be released? Thank you Sir !

7. Anonymous says

Like the 2011 US Army half dollar. Don't really care for the silver or the gold. May still get a silver unless it gets priced like the 2010 proof ASE.

8. Mint News Blog says

"Any truth to the Mint updating their web site?"

The US Mint said the website would get a new look this week.

"And when the 2011 schedule will be released? "

The US Mint said they would announce the schedule for the first quarter of 2011 "later this fall", but nothing has been announced yet.

9. Anonymous says

The US Mint maybe can solve the ATB bullion mess if the AP's decline to cooperate. They have previously sold bullion direct from their website. All they have to do is put the ATB's in a pretty box and give them a name like the "ATB Grand Coins." Anyone remember the '08 Buffalo gold bullion sold in a red box direct from the mint and called a "Celebration Coin?" Anyway, the US Mint has acted properly and they are to be congratulated on dealing with this situation for the benefit of the public.

10. Anonymous says

I just spoke with APMEX and they told me that they won't know anything about the coins sold or any future sales of the coin until 10 to 14 days. This makes me believe that all the APs are either looking to find a legal way around Ed Moys new decision. Or they are looking for ways to keep their dealers from getting more then one set of these coins. Why else would they be holding back on delivery or sales of these coins? Either way it looks like no one will be getting these coins for Christmas which stinks. Does Ebenezer Scrooge come to mind here or what?

11. Anonymous says

Although these designs do appear to be much nicer.They lack the script that used to show a more eloquent look on coinage. I also believe that it was a huge mistake not to put Teddy Roosevelt on the new quarters or at least put him on the 5 oz ATBs to give him the credit that he deserves.

12. Anonymous says

I love these designs! Here's hoping the Mint continues the theme in future product lines: interesting, history details and eye appeal. Sign me up for a 2011 subscription.

Future first spouse coins would benefit from the talents of these artists.

13. Laurence says

I'm just tired of policy being set after the fact. APMEX took initiative and set the ground rules for a set of coins that were severely under produced. Then and only then did the bloggers get on the podium and complain. Oh great now the US Mint is setting rules the day they were supposed to ship the under produced coins.

14. Laurence says

We have had nothing but foolish moves by the US Mint by not producing Silver Eagles in 2009, Canceling Silver Eagle Subscriptions in 2010. Then canceling orders for the Silver Eagles in 2010. Don't be so fast to judge APMEX for noting a problem and then if you ask me they sold out in 19 hours because they simply under estimated it. I wont even go into the disappointment felt with the US Mint keeping 10K deliveries left on porches. I salute APMEX for making a decision and setting up ground rules. They have great service and packaging too.