2011 Native American Dollar

Today, the United States Mint announced the reverse design selection for the upcoming 2011 Native American Dollar.

The design depicts the hands of Supreme Sachem Ousamequin Massasoit and Governor John Carver exchanging the ceremonial peace pipe after the initiation of the first formal written peace alliance between the Wampanoag tribe and the settlers at Plymouth Bay. The reverse was designed by Richard Masters and sculpted by Joseph Menna.

The obverse of the coin will continue to feature the portrait of Sacagawea and child, designed by Glenna Goodacre.

Under the authorizing legislation for the series, the final design selection is made by the United States Secretary of the Treasury, after consultation with the Committee on Indian Affairs of the Senate, the Congressional Native American Caucus of the House of Representatives, Commission of Fine Arts (CFA), the National Congress of American Indians, and review by the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee (CCAC).

Both the CFA and CCAC had recommended the selected design, out of the six design candidates originally prepared by the US Mint. The design featuring hands exchanging a peace pipe is more symbolic and less literal than the other design candidates. This is a direction that has been urged by the CCAC in their earlier critiques on the quality of the US Mint’s coin designs.

It is worth noting that the CFA had recommended studying the text and placement of the “$1” inscription on the selected design, noting that it “may convey an inappropriately commercial association with the coin’s theme of diplomacy.” The US Mint did not make any modification to the design from the original presented.

Comments

1. Anonymous says

I like the looks of many of the coin designs like this one on paper but when they come out on the coin it seems to me they leave a lot to be desired in the translation even the proofs. At the high rate they have to crank these out probably not much strike pressure. Maybe I'm just too picky. Hope springs eternal.

2. Mercury says

I don’t like the design. That peace treaty had nothing to do with benefiting Native Americans, but everything to do with the colonies. As far as I’m concern this "2011 Native American Dollar" design just adds salt to the wound. What I’m wondering if there are any Native Americans even on the board’s selection committee… But then again it never was about them, it all about us.

3. Anonymous says

I think it shows "a tug of war" for the peace pipe…NO, it's my turn…don't bogart that pipe!!

4. Anonymous says

Very strange they would bring up the treaty of 1621. Whatever the treaty guaranteed was most likely lost in King Philip's War.

The Wampanoag Indians have a tiny reservation and no casino.

5. Anonymous says

I like the design because of the history (good or bad) associated with it. My kids might ask me what it is all about, and then I have a chance to teach them a bit of history.

The history of the world is full of examples of one tribe/group/country taking from another tribe/group/country; you can't just single out the USA like many try to do with the Indians. Rome conquered Britain/Greece, Greece conquered Persia, Persia conquered Egypt, Normans conquered the Saxons, etc. And there was even bloodshed and violence committed by the Indians against weaker people as well (unarmed settlers were murdered, raped, children were scalped and burned alive, and so forth).

Personally, my ancestors never owned slaves or killed Indians to my knowledge (and I didn't vote for the idiots that forced crappy healthcare down our throats), so I'm not going to feel guilty about any atrocities that have happened over the last 400 years on this continent.

Anyway nice coin…and I don't feel guilty at all saying it.

6. Anonymous says

That's just what the USA needs. More transit tokens that most average store clerks have no clue about. Not to mention the manganese metal that is about as stable as a steel hull ship in salt water. The design is very lack luster as well with very little of the devices covering the field. A total Lose lose IMHO. Maybe they should stop smoking that pipe and get back to reality. Oh what the heck. Just totally screw the dollar. Just when you think the $1.00 value can't get any lower you see crapola like this. UGH !!!!

7. Anonymous says

I like the design.

As to the CFA recommendation that the placement of the $1 inscription "may convey an inappropriate commercial association", have they forgotten that the coin is a medium of commerce? Some folks have too much time on their hands, including me.

8. Anonymous says

The firat pres. dollar I received was in change from a Chinese food establishment-go figure!! She also commented that this coin was not a quarter!!

9. Anonymous says

I would like to see any post mentioning health care DELETED automatically. There are plenty of public policy blogs where you can mention this. Of course, if you tried, you might be forced to say something substantive, and expose your ignorance.

That said, there is some duplicity in "honoring" Native Americans on coins, in lieu of behaving honorably toward them today. Such honorable behavior might begin with some acknowledgment of the atrocities that were committed.

Also, this is a pretty boring design, with a lot of field. Is it the first smoking implement enshrined on US money?

10. Anonymous says

The medical marijuana people may have scored a minor victory with this coin. Either that or the pc people missed the boat on a coin giving the okay to tobacco use. At the time of this treaty I don't think the pipe was filled entirely with all tobacco either. These coins may end up in California used as a challenge coin to get you into a party.

11. Anonymous says

The design of the pipe looks aztec…

Tobacco was a very profitable cash crop for the south which they sold in Europe along with lumber and Cod from New England.

Pipe Dreams

12. Anonymous says

Off topic, but not healthcare or current administration. I have been collecting rolls of the presidential dollars and some bags of half-dollars. My question is for the long term, would I be better off placing the roll in plastic tubes(long term-30-40 yrs) and if that is the case, do I save the mint paper which shows the original wrapping or do I forego the mint wrappers and go to the banks and get the stringfellow rolls and place them in tubes for storing. I have heard that if left in the paper coverings that the coins will spot and some other unspecicfied things would occur. Not sure if someone is just trying to sell plastic tubes or what. Would appreciate hearing from some of the long term collecters like grandpa and others about their experience. I do not need to look for the ms69 and 70 type coins, just collecting for my grandchildren. Thanks for any help

13. Anonymous says

I don't know if what they say about the wrappers hurting the coins is true or not, but it certainly could be, especially for the Presidential Dollars. Like someone said in an earlier comment, the finish on those coins is horribly unstable.

In actuality, your grandchildren will be better off if you buy them some gold or silver coins (preferably low-mintage gold coins like the First Spouses) instead of coins like the Presidential Dollars or America the Beautiful Quarters. Those coins will very likely never be worth much more than face value (if at all), and your heirs will more than likely end up redeeming them for face value. By then, the coins' purchasing power will be greatly reduced from what it is now.

Your grandchildren will be much better off financially and more grateful for gold or silver. I sure wish MY grandparents had done that for me!

14. Anonymous says

I agree, only collect precious metal for grandchildren. Presidential dollars will be worth $1 in 30-40 years. $1 invested in precious metals, stocks, bonds, almost anything else will be worth more.

Off topic: Any predictions for Mary Licoln sales? I think low.

15. Anonymous says

Re: Lincoln Spouse Gold

I think the sales will be fairly low…no more than the Buchanan if that many…the price is $75 more than when the Buchanan started.

To have a proof coin graded ($859 plus grading fees) you're getting up around $900.

I think I'll stay on the sidelines a while and look at sales and gold prices…this coin may be available for a full year.

Any other thoughts?

16. Anonymous says

Mary Lincoln is not such a nice looker like Julia, but the reverse looks great to me. Count me in!

17. Anonymous says

I'll buy the Mary Lincoln coins early just to be safe, to keep my sets going. The chances of ever being able to buy them on the secondary market for less than the Mint issue price will be slim I would bet.

I buy early anymore, simply because the Mint's prices have done nothing but go up the past few months, and delaying the purchase clinging to the slim hope of a price decrease will most likely result in me receiving someone else's returned defective coins. Those are what I call "sloppy seconds." 🙂

18. Anonymous says

I also do not believe the Mary Lincoln Gold will sell out, especially considering it will have a total mintage of 20,000 coins across both varieties. If it does sell out it will be the highest minted FS since the 2007 Madison FS, and with such a large mintage the premium on the secondary market will be minimal. Additionally it seems like a lot of money to spend on a single gold coin, when it will be virtually impossible to collect the entire series. IMHO, the coin to buy might be the J. Tyler Unc with a total mintage of only 2861 – if you can find one…

TMM

19. Anonymous says

To the 2:16 blogger.

In keeping with my thoughts about the stability of presidential or Sacajawea dollars. They are made of manganese which is a metal that is very unstable when kept next to each other. The reaction of these metals together are not good for long term. The ability for any paper or inks from wrappers are not good either. If I were to store these coin in any way at all. I would say they are better off stored in air tights by them selves in a controlled environment. This is an expensive way to keep these coins from going bad. But I really believe anything less is just asking for this type of metal to not last even in a correctly stored environment left in their wrappers or in plastic coin safe tubes. All this being said. I really believe these coins are a terrible investment for the long term. The only coins from these type coins I have seen come close to holding any sort of premium is the actual error coins which may or may not increase in value over the years. This is of course only my opinion. But these coins are a terrible way to leave your children a collection that would benefit their future.

20. Anonymous says

It is important to note that manganese is the basic outer shell of the presidential dollar and will wear away with use and show the brass colors under neath eventually. It will also start to darken in time causing a more antiqued look. To look at the basic facts of this coin for future investments. It is best to look at the melt values. Once you see this you may think twice before saving these for any future family members.

At today's melt values a presidential or Sacajawea dollar is worth this:
    $0.0649407 is the melt value for the 2007-2010 Presidential golden dollar on November 29, 2010.
    I think these simple facts pretty much says it all.

This is very much the reason why our US Mint wants to make these coins. They are much cheaper to produce then a paper dollar. Just not a great investment tool IMHO. It is however a great transit token and possible future Chucky Cheese token for arcade games and snack machines.

21. Anonymous says

Not trying to go off topic here. But I'd like to know if there will ever be much mention of any paper money in this blog. I have some very nice older notes and have never seen mention of notes here at all.

22. Anonymous says

This is a MINT news blog, not Bureau of Printing and Engraving. I'm sure Obama would love to talk to you about his hobby of printing money!

23. Mint News Blog says

I haven't received the new report yet. I will post the figures or a link as soon as I have the info.