2011-W Uncirculated Gold Eagle

The United States Mint will begin sales of the 2011-W American Gold Eagle Uncirculated Coin on May 5, 2011 at 12:00 Noon ET. This will mark the return of this collector version of the popular bullion coin, following a two year gap.

The coins are struck on specially burnished blanks and carry a finish similar to the bullion version. The collector versions carry the “W” mint mark on the obverse of the coin, while the bullion versions do not carry a mint mark.

The collectible uncirculated American Gold Eagles were introduced by the United States Mint in 2006, first issued as part of the 3-coin 20th Anniversary Gold Eagle Set. In the following month, the US Mint began sales of the coins on an separate basis, with individual one ounce, half ounce, quarter ounce, and tenth ounce coins, and a 4-coin set available. At the time, the Mint stated that these collector versions were “priced at the relative mid-point” between the proof coins and bullion coins.

For the following two years in 2007 and 2008, the US Mint also issued the uncirculated Gold Eagles in four individual denominations and the 4-coin set. As part of a sweeping elimination of products near the end of 2008, the Mint announced that the individual half ounce, quarter ounce, and tenth ounce coins, as well as the 4-coin set would be discontinued. In 2009 and 2010, the remaining one ounce version was not issued, as the US Mint canceled the product in order to meet demand for bullion coins.

The one ounce 2011-W Uncirculated Gold Eagle will be priced at $1,778.00. (This price is only $7 cheaper than the individual one ounce proof version, which went on sale a few weeks ago.) The US Mint has indicated that the collectible uncirculated coins will be minted to demand, and there will be no household ordering limits. Each coin will come encapsulated in plastic and mounted in a presentation case with a certificate of authenticity. Pricing may fluctuate weekly based on the market price of gold.

Some previous year collectible uncircualted Gold Eagles carry large secondary market premiums due to their low mintages. In fact, the 2008-W Uncirculated Gold Eagle quarter ounce coin has the lowest mintage for any coin of the series, across all versions, at 8,883 coins.

How will the 2011-W Uncirculated Gold Eagle fare? Even though the product is returning after a two year gap, there doesn’t seem to be much excitement brewing for the release. There is certainly not the impression of pent up demand that existed for the return of the Proof Gold Eagles after their one year gap.

When these “W” mint marked uncirculated coins were last available a few years ago, I was always very favorable about them. With more collectors opting for proof coins, the uncirculated coins remained overlooked and under ordered. This led to the low mintages, which eventually led to higher premiums. Could the same thing happen again?

I’ll be watching the sales numbers closely to see what happens.

Comments

1. Anonymous says

I wish the fractionals were still available, they were so much more affordable, and they had great potential to increase in value. Unfortunately the 1 ounce is out of my budget, 🙁

2. Anonymous says

The price and the unlimited mintage will make this a dud unlike the 2006-2008 coins.

3. Anonymous says

this year 2011. all uncirculated collector's version will not be burnished uncirculated. just like the bullion uncirculated one. so the mint just keep on reducing the cost. for me. just buy the bullion one. cause it is the same. beside. bullion one is much cheaper than the collector's version.

affected were the following:
    2010p ATB 5 oz collector's version.
    2011p ATB 5 oz collector's version.
    2011w AGE 1 oz unc gold coin.
    2011w ASE 1 oz unc silver coin.
    2011 uncirculated mint set.

note: 2006w to 2008w were all burnished unc gold and silver coins.

4. Anonymous says

the mint should hire persons know how to grade all collector's version coins produce from the u.s. mint. slabbed it, grade it. sell it directly to the collectors and general public. so the mint could earn more instead of passing those profit to the grading companies.

5. Anonymous says

mintage for the following:

American eagle 1 oz burnished unc gold:
    2006w – 45,053
    2007w – 18,606
    2008w – 11,908
    American eagle 1 oz burnished unc silver:
    2006w – 466,573
    2007w – 711,500
    2008w – 535,598

2011w gold and silver with an unc finish same with those bullion gold and silver coins.

6. Anonymous says

i like the obverse of these gold coins, but the reverse has to go.
    the rev of the orig st gaud is much much better

7. Anonymous says

I like cheese.

And these eagles are a lot more beautiful than the eagle on the Peace dollar or Washington quarter.

8. Anonymous says

Yellowstone 5 oz available 5/17.

Sell-out of Hot Springs prior to this. 27k mintage for both.

These products will command premiums even if silver falls more.

9. Anonymous says

I agree with Michael — I think these coins might be sleepers. But there will be plenty of time to cherry pick nearer to the end of availability, and even if gold is not a lot lower, how much higher could it really be??

10. Anonymous says

Does this mean that the finish on the 2011 gold 1oz with w mintmark will be different than the 2006-2008 1oz gold with w mint mark, because they are not using burnished blanks this time

11. Anonymous says

If you've ever taken a good look at a burnished unc gold under magnification, you know the detail is considerably better than a regular bullion coin. In my humble opinion, the mint really screwed up by not calling the coins what the really are, Matte Proofs.

12. Anonymous says

When I visit the US Mint website I can find the ATB 5 once page only if I create a search of same. The 5 oz coins are NOT listed under ANY sub-heading such as "ATB quarters", "Special Collectibles" or "Medals" that I can see. Seems to me that a sellout is made very difficult if customers cannot easily find them on the website. Am I missing something?

13. Anonymous says

This might be a good one to keep an eye on especially if you are already a gold eagle collector and since interest is "lackluster." Unlimited mintage might be an issue if it continues to be available well into 2012. Right now price is too much for me as I want to collect the 5 oz'rs and can't do both.

14. Anonymous says

I guess it won't be burnished because mint say finish "similar to bullion counterparts".Thats too bad because,although on some it was hard to tell the difference but on others, particularlly the 07half, one could see a colorful cool looking pinkish purpleish glimering haze coming out of the cartwheel.
    But I can't afford this one anyway I just don't know why they aren't burnished?

15. Anonymous says

this is the worst time to buy anything made of gold. buy low, sell high. this coin will flop its not the proof special editions one.

16. Anonymous says

The biggest difference b/w both coins is a little mark "W"
    Bullion coins do not carry a mint mark; the difference in price is obvious especially when the coins are graded; "W" coins carry a premium over bullion.

17. Anonymous says

Silver is now less than $40 per ounce.

Reuters, Thursday, May 5th.

Silver was set for its biggest
    weekly fall in over 20 years on Thursday, after the U.S. futures
    exchange operator raised margins again and exchange-traded funds
    saw their largest daily outflow this year.

POP! POP! POP! The freefall continues! Those who greedily sought silver coins to hoard will now have stash of over-valued coins. Do I feel sorry? (!)

Be wary — the only folks who want you to buy, buy, buy are those who want to make a profit from unsuspecting collectors.

Remember the Housing Market!

18. Anonymous says

The Hot Springs coin will have been on sale for one week later today. It is still on sale and there is no waiting list.

Should I keep or cancel my order?

I enjoy collecting coins because of the thrill of finding and holding onto something I really like. Bullion value has always been secondary to me.

I am really pleased that silver prices are falling, since there are a number of silver coins that I really enjoy collecting, like the American silver eagles. Lower silver values means that I can enjoy the thrill of collecting coins again.

20. Anonymous says

High silver prices were killng our hobby.
    Clad coinage now has a fighting chance.
    Hot Springs will be a long term winner with low mintages, don't kid yourself.

21. Anonymous says

This morning (7:00 am, EST) gold is below $1500. and silver below $38. It seems the market price simply increased too much, too fast – but this "correction" is really strong. Oh well, most of us purchased silver at lower prices and therefore we might not be as rich as we were last week, but we certainly have not lost our initial investment.

TMM

22. Anonymous says

@ May 5, 2011 3:57 AM

POP! POP! POP!

I told y'all so!!!! The bubble has burst. Greed rules common sense here. LOL!

———-

TMM

23. Anonymous says

Rediculous rises always leads to pop, pop, pop.
    25% fall in a few days is rediculous also.
    Hope govt steps in to investigate if all these extreme movements are legal.

24. Anonymous says

$10/oz fall in silver means $50 fall in intrinsic melt value of coin.

Common guys, I'm willing to bet there is a lot more long term (even short term) up-side than $50!

Why the panic?
    I was "in" (as was Michael) for the coin lasr year when silver was even lower. Just consider it a higher initial premium. The Mint will NEVER offer the coin again.

25. Anonymous says

I agree with above comments from anon 4:31am.

Hope they raise household limits, but doubt they will. Anyone collect the numismatic coin for "bullion value" anyhow?

26. Anonymous says

do not buy anything from the mint. wait for another drop on average gold price to below $1,500.00. to prevent return those coins to the mint.

2011w ASE unc 1 oz will then be $1,728.00 instead of $1,778.00.
    first spouse 1/2 oz gold proof will then be $904.00 instead of $929.00. and unc at $891.00 instead of $916.00.

lastly. just cancel my 5 oz ATB.

27. Anonymous says

what do you think is the better route. picking up one of these uncirculateds hoping for a low mintage or pony up the extra $$ and splurge for the 2006W 3 coin set with the reverse proof in original packaging, not graded.

28. Anonymous says

The fundamentals have not changed a tad; all this "show" is called "shakin' the tree; somebody wants in cheap-long term investors are buying more of everything; shorts, well……no comment

29. Anonymous says

Crashing and burning, PM's are crashing and burning… We are in the midst of a PM melt down, next stop $30.00 silver…

30. Anonymous says

Apparently, there were many cancellations; dun think the limit will be lifted thou'.

SO this may be the longest time (weeks) to sellout a 27K mintage for modern coins.

31. Anonymous says

Bring it on! I only hope it falls to $20 or less. Then I can correct the mistake of not buying another monster box when I had the chance. The price will go back up. I only wonder how low it will go first.

The next time it approaches $50, I'll unload the monster box for a nice profit.

32. Anonymous says

The Mint had better price the Yellowstone 5 oz. coin no higher than the Hot Springs, and even less really. At the current price of silver, the coin shouldn't cost any more than $259.95 issue price.

The thing is though, the pricing has probably been in the works for a while, and they might price it using the $48 silver as a benchmark. That would probably make it $309.95.

One thing's for sure if it's priced that high in this time of free-fall, though. You won't have to worry about a quick sell-out!

33. Anonymous says

The Mint today will "re-evaluate" the ordering limit.
    My guess is that they will extend this limit of 1 per HH.
    But if they "adjust" it even by 1 more coin, then they are gone today. Gauranteed.

34. Anonymous says

No way this dog is gone today, even if the 1 per household limit is lifted. This sleeping dog will be asleep for a long, long time. No sellout in the near future.

35. Anonymous says

I just checked my APMEX order for the ATB's

Order Status: Order Wrapped

still a good deal since they are PCGS slabbed

36. Anonymous says

I do not understand why the mint wouldtake the statemint off on product update about being made on burnished blanks. anyone no the answerfor 2011 1oz gold unc

37. Anonymous says

Yeah, the website still shows the limit of 1 is still in effect. I figured it would hold.

I wonder how many coins are left to sell? If those posting here are telling the truth, there have been several cancellations recently, and most likely even more from people who do not post here.

I was going to order more if the limit had been lifted, but I guess I won't get to.

38. Anonymous says

They are not burnished this time.
    They are just like the bullion coin but has a "w" mintmark for the collector.

39. Anonymous says

Everyone remember how much fun it is to have hedge funds investing in things for speculation now?

These hedge funds are blowing up the silver market this week!

With price action like this, no one out there can continue to pretend that gold/silver trade based on ant sort of "fundamentals" anymore, if they ever did – this price action is only explainable by the fact that hedge funds have been speculating like crazy to increase prices, and now crash them! Come to terms with it.

40. Anonymous says

POP! The bubble has burst! Do I feel sorry for those who greedily sought to increase their stash of overpriced silver? Hmmmmm, I wonder what they plan to do, now that everyone is panic selling?

LOL!

———

"It's going to be a long time before silver can find a
    bottom to turn higher again," said Dennis Gartman, publisher of
    the Gartman Letter.

Spot silver fell as much as 8 percent to a six-week
    low of $35.82 an ounce, down about 25 percent so far this week.
    It was off the day's low at $36.26 by 12:25 p.m. EDT

41. Anonymous says

How often has Gartman been dead wrong. Get the price of silver lower so I can pickup more. Thank you day traders. Leave the commodity play to the experts. Buy the coins because you love collecting. The daily ups and downs are for the short-term guys.

42. Anonymous says

Gartman is an analyst…. he will say whatever that makes him look smart so that his letters sell.

Nice hindsight Gartman… wish we could all trade in hindsight like you!

43. Rich G. says

"How does APMEX send the ATB's

Is it overnight ?"

They are sent UPS Ground. My package weighs 7 pounds according to the tracking info. Supposed to arrive 5/9. Those PCGS holders are heavy!!

44. Anonymous says

To the POP POP POP guy:

There is no PM's bubble dear, the one and only big bubble that I see is The US Economy and The World Economy.

POP POP POP POP….there goes the Worlds' Currencies….POP POP POP

Paper currency is useless

45. Anonymous says

No more hand loaded into presses, no more burnished, cutting back on costs i guess.

46. Anonymous says

@ May 5, 2011 11:45 AM

Hi Delusional.

There is no PM bubble. Everything is rosy. The sky is blue. The grass is green. The world is perfect.

47. Anonymous says

I have to dissagree with the bullion prices ruining the hobby. When silver went over $45, I went to the local coin shop and pulled quite a few AU/BU coins from the "junk" bucket. Actually, it was a lot of AU/BU coins (nearly a complete set of Franklins). The beauty of it was, the guy bought all of my original junk for just a tad less than the sell price. There is nothing like upgrading an AG Morgan to an AU for just a buck or two.

48. Anonymous says

To May 5, 2011 5:00 PM
    For once you are correct, yes, there is no PM bubble.
    I'm glad you finally see the light.

49. Anonymous says

TO May 5, 2011 5:54 PM

Hi Delusional.

I hope you will continue to buy silver at $50 an ounce. With silver continuing to go up price in the long term, what is there to lose?

The world of PMs is so rosy…. LOL

50. Anonymous says

I am dreaming about $20.00 an ounce silver. I am dreaming that I have a beautiful house and a beautiful wife. I am dreaming that I have not a problem in the world.

Where is that pop boy, I want his life. I bet his life is a dream.

POP! I just woke up.
    Popboy wake up, its not a dream.

51. Anonymous says

The Hot Springs ATB 5 ounce coins are now shipping….!

Order #: 3735#### – 1 Order Date: 4/28/11

Sold To:

Ship To:

Date Shipped: 5/05/11

Amount Charged : 284.90

Tracking ID

29562287130774016
    953210362468
    1ZE1988X2421355847

Items included in this shipment:

1. 2010 ATB SILVER COIN – HOT SPRINGS (NP1) Qty : 1

52. Anonymous says

UPS does'nt have it yet, maybe later this am. Your tracking reflects this.

53. Anonymous says

Maybe Bubble Pop Head will buy on this dip? Nah, he's a bit delusional.

54. Anonymous says

@ May 6, 2011 6:07 AM

Hi Delusional Coin Flipper.

Continue to tell people that silver will rise in value indefinitely.

Guess what? KABOOOOOM!

Get a life. LOL!

55. Anonymous says

there were 0.032727 ounce of silver or more than a dollar worth of silver content within an AGE. and never calculated dealing in buying and selling american eagle one ounce gold coin.

56. Anonymous says

Thru the ceiling.

over the top.

out of control.

glad I did.

Silver is king.

57. Anonymous says

To POP POP POP

For investors who purchased silver at $10/ounce, who cares about POP POP POP?????

Yeah, silver will see $2/ounce soon.

rosy what now?

58. Anonymous says

Man, I would buy all I could carry at $2/oz. Demand would be so heavy though, the premiums for bullion coins would be out of this world. So, we really couldn't capitalize on $2 silver. Not that it will happen anyway, but it's fun to think about!

59. Zeke says

It is amusing to reread these old comments. Look at all the terrible advice that was dispensed by people who pretended they knew the future.