2012 America the Beautiful Quarters Circulating Coin Set

On November 8, 2012 at 12:00 Noon ET, the United States Mint will begin sales of the 2012 America the Beautiful Quarters Circulating Coin Set.

This product includes circulating quality examples of the five 2012 America the Beautiful Quarters from the Philadelphia and Denver Mints. The coins are housed in packaging which can be easily opened to allow the coins to be placed within albums or other storage options.

This year’s quarters feature El Yunque National Forest, Chaco Culture National Historical Park, Acadia National Park, Hawai’i Volcanoes National Park, and Denali National Park and Preserve.

Each circulating coin set contains ten coins and is priced at $5.95 per set. This represents a reduction of $4 compared to the price for the product type in 2010 and 2011. Both of these prior year sets still remain available for sale on the US Mint’s website.

Some collectors were hoping that this year’s set might contain the circulating quality “S” mint marked coins that the US Mint introduced this year. However, so far these coins have only been available within the numismatic bags and rolls.

First Spouse Gold Coin Program

The release date for the next issue of the First Spouse Gold Coin Program will be November 15, 2012 according to a preliminary product page on the US Mint’s website. This coin will feature Frances Cleveland, who was the spouse of the 22nd President Grover Cleveland. This coin represents his first term. A subsequent release will mark the second term- two coins are required under the authorizing legislation since the terms were non-consecutive.

The Frances Cleveland (First Term) First Spouse Gold Coin will have a maximum mintage of 13,000 pieces across proof and uncirculated versions. Pricing will be determined based on the average market price of gold during the period leading up to the release date.

This coin will be released just over a month after the prior release featuring Alice Paul Suffragist, which went on sale October 11, 2012. The 2012-dated coins are being released after a long delay due to production problems. Previously the US Mint stated that all four coins would be minted and issued before the end of the calendar year. Release dates for the third and fourth coins featuring Caroline Harrison and Frances Cleveland (second term) are not yet known.

Comments

No price drop this week, since the average came in just over $1,700 anyway despite the drastic spot dip last week. Even if it had been under $1,700, the Wed pm fix would have overruled anyway.

I still haven’t bought Alice Paul, and will hold off on Frances Cleveland as well. At least I only have to consider buying one of each finish now, since I broke up the second set of uncs I was building by selling off the 2007’s a couple weeks ago. I haven’t broke up the proof set yet, but I was close.

Now I have a lot of “extra” FS unc coins that I can sell off, and since they’re the 2008’s onward, they have moderate to significant collector value. Maybe I’ll do an auction for the “keys”, the 5 with mintages under 3,000. Also an auction for the “Liberty” subset. But it won’t be any fun giving Uncle Sam and the State of Illinois their unfair share! 🙂

2. Mint News Blog says

Presidential Dollars are only issued for presidents who have been deceased for at least two years. The First Spouse Gold Coins are issued on the same schedule.

3. Discovergold says

T1 browserman, two coins are required under the authorizing legislation if the terms served were non-consecutive.

4. ABC says

So the answer is no. Also, isn’t the First Spouse program limited to 10 years? I thought it was mentioned somewhere that only the first 40 Presidential spouses/terms would be used in the program (Mrs. Reagan would be last).

5. Smiledon says

Unless Obama dies in the next 2 years, it will take another act of congress to get he, along with any one else that dies after 2016, on the coin. That is the way I understand the current law. Reagan passed away a few years ago, so Mrs. Reagan could be the only living 1st lady to get a gold coin.

6. G says

So, it looks like the S-mint marked quarters could end up being one of the great products of the year, right? I actually like the unpredictability. Do you feel lucky?

7. Smiledon says

I already have the ATB proof quarters with the S mark G. Maybe the only thing that I was lucky on in coins so far. Speaking of luck, anyone know what is the latest on the error ASE proof coins?

8. hi ho silver says

I got a 2001 silver buff! I also started my spouse collection with Jefferson and ended with a Jefferson.

9. The Hawk says

I was thinking we wouldn’t get to Nancy Reagan as the series would stop when it got to a living president, i.e. Jimmy Carter. Would Betty Ford be the last?

Samuel – I bought two 2 coin sets of the 2001 Buffs. I was on active duty and forward deployed at the time with spotty internet access. I was surprised I got them, and so glad I did.

11. Shutter says

When it gets to a living president (or one who’s been deceased for less than 2 years), he is skipped and the coins are issued for the next one. The skipped president and his wife don’t get a coin even if he meets conditions before the end of the series. So for right now Nancy Reagan is the last one right after Betty Ford.

12. posterhunter says

I hate to be picky but this spouse coin does not look much like the line drawing they OK’d for this coin or even the photograph that they used to make the line drawing. Frances Cleveland according to those photos that are easy to pull up looks very little like this coin at that age. Her nose is all wrong, her hair parts somewhat on her right side which it doesn’t on the coin, and it generally doesn’t even look like her. Even her hair is way off. I am sure if this was done to a more recent person, which may happen, there would be a lot of angry people about it.

13. Don says

I would have thought that the San Francisco ATB quarters would have been included in the 2012 Circulating ATB quarters set. I wonder if there is any chance that the Mint will put out a supplemental 5 coin set of the S quarters. I’m sure many collectors just want one or two examples of each of these San Fran. coins rathers than entire rolls.

14. DCDave says

Wow, shocker, the Mint is going to pull the 2011 items before 2013 (except looks like the 2011 proof buffalo, may continue until 2013), pathetic!

They really should not be selling PM products for more than a year.

15. KEITHSTER says

Thanks Frankie with all thats going on at the Mint it’ll be hard money wise to get what we need by the 31st. But it will be fun to see it on the NLA. list. Good luck to all order early order often$$$!!!

16. george glazener says

They ABSOLUTELY changed the Frances Cleveland engraving from what was shown earlier in the year. That might account for the long delay in the product launch as someone had to re-engrave her image and re-tool the dies. So we’re left to wonder why that original image was withdrawn?

17. S. Knight says

They’ve probably got a new staff of engravers. They gave her a NEW NOSE, MOUTH, and EYE BROWS.

L@@KS like they added about ten years to her face too. She was a cute 21 year old getting marries and having the first baby (Baby Ruth!) in the White House to Mr. Cleveland her daddy’s attorney.

That will definitely slow down sales.

She might be the KEY coin for lowest sales. Who knows, right?