2012 America the Beautiful Quarters Silver Proof Set

The US Mint is scheduled to begin sales of the 2012 America the Beautiful Quarters Silver Proof Set tomorrow, January 10, 2012 at 12:00 Noon ET. This will represent the first numismatic product release of the year for the Mint.

Each set includes the five 2012-dated America the Beautiful Quarters in proof format with a composition of 90% silver and 10% copper. The sites featured on this year’s quarters are El Yunque National Forest in Puerto Rico, Chcaco Culture National Historical Park in New Mexico, Acadia National Park in Maine, Hawaii Volcanoes National Park in Hawaii, and Denali National Park in Alaska. Larger sized images of the designs for the quarters can be found in this post.

The 2012 America the Beautiful Quarters Silver Proof Set is priced at $41.95 per set and offered without a mintage limit or ordering limit.

Pricing for the set remains unchanged from the previous year. The 2011-dated set was released on April 1, 2011, when the market price of silver was $37.63 per ounce. Sales of the set were suspended on several occasions in the following months when the market price of silver rose above $40 per ounce. When the price of silver dropped, the price of the set was not adjusted. This is in contrast to the two price reductions for other silver numismatic products.

Also worth noting, the release date for the 2012 ATB Quarters Silver Proof Set comes ahead of the full 14-coin 2012 Silver Proof Set, which still does not have a release date announced. Last year, the US Mint released the full size annual sets in January, a few months ahead of the component sets. The change in scheduling was made in response to customer feedback.

While many collectors no doubt found the scheduling change beneficial, one of the impacts seemed to be lower sales for the component sets. By backtracking on the scheduling change, the US Mint is once again incentivizing the component sets as the first opportunity to acquire the coins included. This is not really the best set up for some collectors who will buy the component set and later the full annual set, containing some redundant coins.

Whereas last year’s scheduling was motivated by customer service, this year’s scheduling seems to be motivated by revenue maximization.

Comments

1. Sam says

“revenue maximization”

Not a big surprise — why cater to your customers when you are a monopoly?

2. mqracing says

I’m happy that the Mint is offering this product early. I don’t think it’s prudent to read much into the timing of product releases.

Just be happy we can source such a neat product at all. IMO the silver quarters are a great deal— a strong buy. If you price the set out on a per ounce basis it comes out to $46.40 per ounce. Since these are proofs compare this price on a per ounce basis to the one ounce proof silver eagle which sells for $61.95.

I’ve been collecting two annual sets of silver quarters since 1999— one set for each of my children. I don’t collect the full silver proof sets— but if I did the purchase of them would be independent of a purchase of the parks quarters sets.

MSL

3. J A says

For me this continues to be one of the least inspiring series in the last 10 years. The low level of interest and HUGE markups on 3 quarters is even more reason to pass on them.

4. Broooster says

So little interest in the ATB coins across all product lines. Will this mean lower mintages down the road??? Higher resale values??? Or, will these just continue to be dogs. I will get my usual 2 sets, maybe someday I will see a return if I ever need to sell.
    On that note, it’s a shame they didn’t go on sale today, so I could add these to my Spouse order, and save on some shipping. The mint will surely be raising prices on gold products tomorrow, so I believe the price tier we are at right now is the best we are going to see. I guess it’s time to go place that order.

That premium seems a bit high. Then again, silver has been surging hard in the last few days so the price might end up being justified. Given that the silver quarters are $40, though, I am pretty worried about what the full silver proof set will cost. Could we be looking at a price of $70+ ?

Brooster is right, prices of the collectible gold coins will go up tomorrow for sure. That’s not to say the price won’t pull back again later, but it would have to be a pretty drastic drop to reach the tier below the one currently in use. Now that we’re in 2012, the 2011 First Spouse coins are fair game to sell out at anytime. It will probably pretty much be a repeat of what happened with the 2010’s. I don’t see any of them making it to their respective one-year marks, with the possible exception of Eliza Johnson since hers is less than two months away.

The Lucy Hayes Unc will probably sell out first with the lowest mintage of 2011, so if I buy any ahead of the price increase it will be one or two more of that one. I just have to make a final decision in about 24 hours.

7. Wylson says

They went back and struck a second batch of the Eliza Uncs. I’m wondering how many they struck and if they minted the same totals for the other three cuties.

Wylson: Where did you hear or read that the Mint struck a second batch of Eliza Johnsons? I have not heard about this.

9. DNA says

“…not really the best set up for some collectors who will buy the component set and later the full annual set, containing some redundant coins.
    I’ve been collecting the 2004-date Silver Quarter Sets along with the full Silver Proof Sets. To me, there’s no such thing as “redundant” when it comes to silver coins: The more, the merrier!