2012 Infantry Soldier Silver Dollar

The United States Mint will begin sales of the 2012 Infantry Soldier Silver Dollar commemorative coins on February 16, 2012 at 12:00 Noon ET. The available products will include individual proof and uncirculated coins, as well as the Defenders of Freedom Set.

The program was authorized under Public Law 110-357 to commemorate the legacy of the U.S. Army Infantry and the establishment of the National Infantry Museum and Soldier Center. Designs for the coin are intended to be emblematic of the courage, pride, sacrifice, sense of duty and history of the Infantry. From 12 different obverse and 7 different reverse design candidates, the Secretary of the Treasury selected those shown below, following consultation with the National Infantry Foundation, Commission of Fine Arts, and review by the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee.

The obverse design depicts a modern Infantry soldier on rocky ground charging forward and beckoning troops to follow, symbolizing the “Follow Me” motto of the Infantry. Inscriptions include “Liberty”, “In God We Trust”, and “2012”. The reverse design features the crossed rifles insignia, the branch insignia of the Infantry. Inscriptions read “United States of America”, “One Dollar”, and “E Pluribus Unum”. The obverse was designed by Joel Iskowitz and sculpted by Michael Gaudioso, while the reverse was designed by Ronald D. Sanders and sculpted by Norman E. Nemeth.

The Infantry Soldier Silver Dollars are struck at the West Point Mint and carry the “W” mint mark. The coins have a maximum authorized mintage of 350,000 across all product options.

As part of the program, the US Mint is offering the Infantry Soldier Silver Dollar Defenders of Freedom Set. This set carries a production limit of 50,000 and includes one silver dollar and a replica dog tag on a miniature chain. The illustrated packaging includes a quote from President John F. Kennedy. Although the product description page indicates that the set will include the proof version of the silver dollar, the image and pricing for the set suggest that it may actually include the uncirculated version of the coin. The US Mint has made errors in product page descriptions on rare occasions in the past, which were eventually corrected. If the set actually does include the proof version of the coin, it will be priced lower than the individual proof coin after the introductory period has concluded. (See pricing, later in this post.)

Update: Apparently it is a proof coin.

The Defenders of Freedom Set represents the return of the special product offerings often created by the US Mint to feature commemorative coins. In 2008 for the Bald Eagle commemorative coins, the US Mint had offered a three coin proof set, young collector’s set, coin and medal set, and the American Legacy Collection. In 2009, the US Mint had offered the Lincoln Coin and Chronicles Set, which sold out of its 50,000 maximum mintage in about 30 hours despite a one per household ordering limit. In 2009, the Braille Education Set had also been offered, which eventually sold 10,698 units out of the 25,000 maximum. There were no multi-coin sets or special products offered for the 2010 or 2011 commemorative coins.

From the start of sales on February 16, 2012 at 12:00 Noon ET until March 19, 2012 at 5:00 PM ET, the Infantry Soldier Silver Dollars will be available at introductory pricing. After this date, regular pricing will go into effect, which reflects an increase of $5 per individual coin. The Defenders of Freedom Set does not carry an introductory price. All prices reflect a surcharge of $10 per coin, which will be distributed to the National Infantry Foundation for the purpose of establishing an endowment to support the maintenance of the National Infantry Museum and Soldier Center after its completion.

Intro Price Regular Price
Proof Silver Dollar 49.95 54.95
Uncirculated Silver Dollar 44.95 49.95
Defenders of Freedom Set N/A 51.95

There are no household ordering limits in place for the individual proof and uncirculated Infantry Soldier Silver Dollars. The Defenders of Freedom Set carries a limit of 100 units per household.

Last year, the 2011 Army Silver Dollars sold 163,346 coins across proof and uncirculated versions, while the Medal of Honor Silver Dollars sold 157,619 across both versions. The Infantry Soldier Silver Dollar could potentially fare better due to the lower pricing, the offering of the special set, and the likely smaller number of competing numismatic offerings released by the US Mint.

Comments

The Mint shows shipping for the Proof & Unc. to be in 1 to 2 weeks.

However, for the Infantry Defenders of Freedom Set it says “The 2012 Infantry Soldier Silver Dollar Defenders of Freedom Set is expected to begin shipping in late spring 2012.”
    That could be June before it ships.

This is listed under the “coming soon” portion of the product schedule

I hadn’t realized the DoF set was going to take so long to ship, either. We won’t be able to check and see what coin is included, then, until after the introductory pricing has expired most likely.

Hopefully the Mint will clear up this confusion over the included coin tomorrow.

3. DCDave says

Why now in Feb is there not a complete 2012 schedule listed?
    I’ll pass on the Infanty Soldier set. I have my Dad’s real dog tag.
    Not as nice as Lincoln Chronicles (don’t forget the Chronicles had the copper pennies too).
    Braille set had lower mintage and lower interest. I still think there is not a real premium for the super low mintage item.
    This should be somewhere inbetween (Lincoln and Braille) as far as interest.

Michael, any thoughts on this week’s sales numbers. The Chickasaw actually sold less than I thought considering the price now being close to bullion.
    The FS sales are pathetic!

DCDave,

I don’t think they listed the complete 2011 schedule this early in either, though the schedule was much further along than this year’s is. I’m not sure what the issue is, perhaps they’re having organizational problems of some sort.

I will be buying the infantry coins; while I think they’re ugly, I’ve written so much about them on my blog that I feel almost obligated to purchase them at this point!

Incidentally, if anyone’s interested, the infantry coin design is apparently based on this “Iron Mike” statue at Fort Benning: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4a/Iron_mike.fort_benning.jpg

5. toby says

Do the surcharges count as a deduction to charity…..as if I order 10 it’s $100?
    any thoughts, accountants feel free to weigh in!

6. Army MP says

How sad…. While the DoF coin set is ment to pay tribute to the Army infantry soldier, it looks like they messed up on the cover… that is a Marine uniform not an Army uniform.

7. Zaz says

With 50,000 proof dollars already allocated to the DoF set, the uncirculated dollar will probably be this year’s US Army half. Since the product line is cheaper by $5.00 this year, most people are going to go with the proof coin and ignore the uncirculated. Looks like a good sleeper that will fly under the radar, as the more “glamorous” SSB flag coins are just a couple of weeks afterwards and may overshadow the INF program. If I were a betting man, INF2 will be the sleeper. Just my 2c…

The more I look at this coin, the more disappointed I am in the design. As I said before (jokingly of course) the soldier depicted appears to be wearing a shoulder bag (purse). I’ve seen plenty of combat soldiers, and can’t say I’ve seen any wearing a small shoulder bag, especially in combat. Bandoleers, yes, rucksacks yes. Maybe the fact that DADT was repealed this year was not lost on the designers.

Another is the “softball slow pitch” “follow me” hand motion. Wouldn’t an over the should arm motion seem to signal an advance? An under handed motion to me signals back up. These maybe small grips, I admit, but people world wide see our coinage, including our enemies. Is this the best we can show them? Our troops deserve better and I wish the designer(s) put more thought into the design. Sorry for the nit-picking, I plan to pick one proof and UNC up for my modern commem set, maybe they will grow on me over time (or look better in hand).

The Defenders of Freedom set looks OK, and is a small premium over the proof alone, especially if it’s a real dog tag blank used. The only downside is storing these relatively thin, ease to bend packages for the long term. I would have preferred both the coin and tag in a lens similar in size to the proof sets.

9. Matt L. DeTectre says

As I have implied in previous blog comments you will not see any coins with unambiguous assertive or aggressive depictions of soldiers in combat situations under fire or taking it to the enemy. Its all gonna be pretty neutral. Overall though the set appears to be a nifty item, even with the display errors. But I haven’t decided on the set as I don’t like waiting for four months for it to ship out. Probably wait for the first week’s sales figures to assess how much I need to speed up my decision making process. Would also like to get back into the ATB w series but no rush as metal prices should hold for a couple mos. With a small miracle maybe even one more price drop on the silver items..

Bob,
    When I asked last time about why you brought up DADT, you said you were being facious. But again you suggest that because you think it is a shoulder bag, it is somehow influenced by the repeal of DADT? I thought in the earlier discussion that another vet explained that is was some kind of equipment.

I agree the design is lacking, and the under handed motion argument makes a lot of sense, but I have to disagree on the shoulder bag/DADT connection.

Whatever it is supposed to be, I am certain it is not a shoulder bag. Anyway, from what I know of gay people, they don’t actually walk around with shoulder bags in most cases. From what I know, it is women who walk around with oversized bags they carry on their shoulders.

Anyway, I like the price of the set even if it only has three-quarters of an ounce of silver. It will store quite nicely with other similar-sized Mint offerings like the dollar sets, the Marine corp stamp and coin set, the Community Service coin and stamp set, etc.

11. Eric the Red says

I agree with VA Bob they should have used the infantryman logo that I remember seeing when I was at Fort Benning in jump school during the 80’s. He looked like a real trooper with an M1 Garand in one hand and his hand held high leading men forward, not a guy looking like he running for the chow line.

12. Alan says

I think the “shoulder bag” is a gas mask case. For the first few years of Operation Iraqi Freedom the soldiers had to carry gas masks with them because there was a perceived threat from chemical or bio weapons. Then upper management dropped the requirement. When I went through Basic I learned to wear the mask case tied to my left leg, with one belt around my left leg and another belt around my waist. Generally I think that is how non-combat soldiers (as I was) wear it. I know a mask case strapped to one’s leg might impede running, so that might be why the infantry soldier on the coin is wearing it differently. That’s my guess.

I kinda like the reverse of the coin the most. It’s starkly bland and I like the typeface. No wreaths or ribbons or eagles or descriptive text or other nonsense to fill the space. 😛

13. Tom says

I like the Coin and the large lettered Liberty banner
    behind the field or area that the soldier just came across.

14. jim c says

great to see the mint looking out for the smaller buyer again. 100 per household limit is just as foolish if not more so than the limit on the 25th anniversary SE set. these won’t have the interest for the 25th set but that limit still is alot per household.

I am a little surprised to see how few responses there are on this thread, people must really not be interested in the release.

Jim,

I doubt a household limit is really necessary for these coins. The DoF might sell out, but it will take awhile. The general collector response to the infantry coin has been pretty tepid.

16. jim c says

capt, i was thinking the same. might not be alot of interest in them. i just want one for my grand kids when i gone.

17. Shutter says

There may be some immediate interest in the DOF set after all. It’s not quiet in the 2011 Eagle Set territory and there were no timeouts, but this morning the mint site was noticeably slower.

Possible reason may be that NGC change their mind at the last moment and decided to offer pedigree designation for the set.

18. Broooster says

I myself like the design, reminds me of a trophy I won when I was in basic training at Ft. Benning. I picked up 3 DoF, a regular packaged Proof and a Unc. If the DoF does nothing on the after market, it’s not really a big deal, I plan on passing 1 of each on to the grandkids. If it does happen to do good, then good for them, they will have the option to do as they wish with their little stash once I am gone.

19. Gold Lover says

I agree collectors probably won’t be that excited about these coins, but we really don’t know at this point how service members and former members will react to it. The Marine Corps coins, for ex., were popular with Marines and did sell out. And the design was much better, but what I am saying is we just don’t know yet.

Mint site was not slow at all for me.

21. TomP says

I phoned in my order at 12:15 and was cut off by a busy signal. I redialed and this time was placed on hold for about 2 or 3 minutes. Placed my first order and then another to be sent to a friend. The two orders were 2 minutes apart with a difference of 183 for the control number. I was surprised by the volume.

With an expected delivery date of 5/31 for the set, I was told my proof and unc infantry coins would be shipped in 1 to 2 weeks with a separate charge for the infantry set upon it’s delivery.

I had asked if there is any more 1 day delivery available and told no, only 2 day expedited. I had been surprised when my Chickasaw ATB-P with 3 ASE-W unc dollars had arrived on 2 day delivery (since the order was over the $300 trigger for the old 1 day delivery),

22. pl.mark says

The tentative date for the SSB coins is March 5. When I called Public Affairs for clarification on the DoF set, the person there read a few lines from a different press release (a two-coin set with five dollar…). So if the press releases are ready, then the launch date is pretty close, so get your money ready for the SSB coins.

23. Jake says

Called at 12:10, got right through, no problems.

Ordered 1 Unc and 1 Infantry Soldier Silver Dollar Defenders of Freedom Set.

24. Joe K says

I picked up 2 of the DoF one for myself and one for my brother. Should arrive just in time for his birthday in June (huh?). My mistake for not checking but I thought they were 1 oz not .85. Guess I’ll eventually learn to read the fine print. 😀

I also ordered a DoF and an uncirculated with my friend. Also picked up the El Yunque quarter rolls.

I’m surprised SSB is so close. I’d have expected them to wait a month to release them. I also wonder when the El Yunque AtB-P will be released and what price they’ll set for it.

My guess is the Mint wants to get rid of more 2011 AtB P’s before releasing the 2012’s. Plus the bullion 2012’s will probably start first, maybe around April like last year.

27. Jon in CT says

Gold Lover wrote on February 16, 2012 at 12:55 pm:
    “Nothing scheduled on the Mint’s product schedule except for three items with a TBD date. What’s going on? I wonder if they’re re-evaluating the entire product line and might be discontinuing some items like the ATBs and the uncirculated AGE.”

My theory is that the Mint has stopped updating the existing Sales website due to the imminent switchover to the long-promised high-performance Sales website. If I were the Mint, I’d want to make the switchover during a long weekend (i.e. one with a Monday Federal holiday). It just so happens that such a long weekend begins this Saturday (Presidents’ Day is Monday).

Jon,

I’d love it if this were correct, but I dimly recall them stating the rollout was planned for Q3 2012. Of course, the British firm doing the upgrade might have finished work early.

29. Jon in CT says

Just did a quick search and found a Feb 8 CoinWorld article with more current information at http://www.coinworld.com/articles/mint-to-mark-san-francisco-mint-milestone/ about the switchover to the high-performance Sales system.

The relevant portion of the article says:

“However, [U.S. Mint Deputy Director Richard A.] Peterson said it is likely that the new system won’t be operational until late 2012 or early 2013, to give the Mint time to work out any kinks. The system was originally anticipated to be fully operational by the fall of 2012.

The U.S. Mint’s new order management system is being constructed under a maximum six-year contract with a British-based vendor, at a price tag as high as $100 million.

The vendor, Venda (website http://www.venda.com), is described as “a cloud-based commerce solutions company that provides a commerce solution known as software-as-a-service (SaaS).”

Peterson said the Mint is hoping to conduct user acceptance testing beginning in October of a beta version of the new system by soliciting Mint customer participation. Results from beta testing will enable the Mint to correct any problems before the full system is brought to market, according to the Mint.

Peterson said if the system being developed is not operational when the Mint plans offers of any special set or sets, officials will have to improvise, possibly offering the sets through a lottery system.”

I saw that article too. I don’t like the idea of a lottery system. I’ll take a stampede over a lottery. Why it would cost up to $100 million is hard to understand.

31. Shutter says

I’ll take a stampede over a lottery.

I’m with Louis on this one.

Why it would cost up to $100 million is hard to understand.

Which part of “government procurement” don’t you understand? Seriously, a contract like this typically includes 3 parts:
    1. Fee to design, build, and deploy the system.
    2. Annual fee to maintain the operation
    3. Volume based fee. IOW $X per order, or something like that. If they are smart, the last fee has an annual minimum and a maximum. Also there should be some sort of service level agreement with penalties. That way Venda will have an incentive to keep the system from crashing.

The contract is for 6 years and supposedly includes everything. So it probably not all that bad.

Yeah, a lottery system would totally suck. I’ve never failed to get anything I’ve ever tried to buy from the Mint using the antiquated online ordering system or phone lines (including the 20th Anniversary Gold Eagle Set and the 25th Anniversary Silver Eagle Set). However, I’m sure I’d come up empty-handed plenty of times through a lottery system.

I think when the new online ordering system is up and running a lot of people will be sorry about getting what they wished for. I know I’ll be missing the old system when I start missing out on stuff I want.

33. Samuel says

With so few products to sell, really no need to buy such an expensive system. I think it is a smart idea to out source the ordering system to Amazon.

I also really dislike the idea of lotteries, that’s an unnecessary solution to say the least and will probably generate MORE anger from collectors, not less. It’s almost as bad as Moy’s idea not to Mint coins in 2009. They should just make a one order per household limit and mint enough to meet demand until the new system is in place if they are really that worried about future backlashes.

35. Sam says

I do wonder why they bother with a 100 per household limit — who is going to buy one hundred and not flip them?

Yeah, that limit of 100 per household for the DOF set is pretty laughable (especially when it immediately follows the statement “to ensure the broadest and most fair access”). How is making it possible for 500 people to buy the entire issue considered the broadest access? A $5,200 investment is not out of reach for quite a few collectors, so theoretically if there were at least 500 people with enough faith in the DOF set to buy their 100, the sets could have disappeared on the first day. Far-fetched I know, but it WAS technically possible.

Think of it this way. Some big modern coin dealer like MCM might have wanted to get 1,000 or more of them. This way they can only buy 100.

38. Shutter says

I think it is a smart idea to out source the ordering system to Amazon.

Essentially that’s what they did. They just outsourced to Venda, not Amazon. Presumably the new system will be more secure than the current one (the current system is a security disaster waiting to happen) and will be able to handle extreme scalability and availability (something Amazon is still struggling with). Also Amazon services mean that you still have to hire someone else to build the actual system. I would also hope that the same system would be used for bullion and circulating orders and not just numismatics. And you never know, maybe the mint is thinking about putting out more products. The Congress decides which coins get minted, but the mint can package them into all kinds of sets.

39. Shutter says

This way they can only buy 100.

Surely you mean each of their employees can buy 100. If they have 10 employees, that’s 1,000. Otherwise they could buy 10,000 or more. They spend more than that when they buy a single AGE monster box.

40. In the Middle says

I bought 2 of DoF set. If it sells out quick great, if not great, I have 2 proof coins to give as gifts. I would prefer a quicker sellout….

41. TomP says

My first order of 2 proof Infantry dollars and 1 unc Infantry dollar were shipped today on reg. delivery (the DoF set delayed to 06/01). My second order of 1 proof Infantry dollar being sent to a friend was shipped yesterday, 02/16 the order date. The mint at least since the Chickasaw ATB-P seems to be expediting shipment.
    However since the elimination of 1 day delivery by 10:30 A.M. to 2 day by end of day delivery, I wonder how that will impact sales of expedited higher cost purchases. There were problems for customers during the delivery of the Vicksburg ATB-P 5 ounce having to wait all day and sometimes missing delivery.

42. PaMike says

Any problems with picking up the package at the UPS office with the new 2 day delivery option from the mint? I work days and all my trust worthy neighbors work days so nobody will ever be around to sign for the package.

Louis – I don’t “think it is a shoulder bag”, but I do believe it resembles one. It seems unlikely to me that anyone (gay or straight) would want to wear ANYTHING loose on their shoulder into combat. I mentioned DADT, because it is a fact is was just repealed this past year. It was not a slight against any lifestyle, just trying to understand why the designer would choose that item when it adds nothing to (IMO) an all ready run-of-the-mill average design, and if there is a correlation. I don’t know what the designers had in mind, and it wouldn’t be the first time a PC statement has been made in our coinage. What do you believe I’m saying? This blog is about opinion on coins, right?

BTW I like the reverse. It’s simple yet somehow appealing. I believe Vets, military historians, hunters, shooters, and 2nd amendment supports would like it as well.

Allen- I had to wear an Mark V and MCP-2/P gas mask at various points of my 24 years of military service, which ended during Iraqi Freedom. They were belted and strapped to the thigh (and quite bulky). Of course that was a different service than depicted on the coin. In that image, it looks a little small for a gas mask bag. Maybe if there is an actual photo that was used in the design, it would be more obvious and easily clear things up.

Back on topic- I see the set is still available two days later. I wonder how that speaks for overall sales of all the offerings for this commem. Dan may be correct in saying “Ben Franklin all over again”. I picked up one of each @ 12:03 on the issue day. No problems at all, even picked up a Chickasaw ATB to boot.

Just wondering – the amount of silver bullion in a silver commemorative is less than one ounce. The cost is higher than a bullion coin. Since most silver commemorative coins do not appreciate much in value, is there a reason to buy a commemorative coin versus a bullion coin? Sure there are exceptions, but from what I have seen, most commemorative coins do not appreciate much in value.

Do you agree?

Hidalgo – Only if you enjoy the coin. Seems the track record would be clear by now that silver commems are not particular (with a few exceptions) a good investment vehicle. So I don’t believe you would find many who would disagree with your comment.

46. Art says

PaMike – You have to wait for UPS to fail to deliver for three tries before you can go pick it up. If you’re going to pick it up anyways, does it make any sense to be forced to wait for three delivery failures? Thank you US Mint.

47. limalo says

Re: “You have to wait for UPS to fail to deliver for three tries before you can go pick it up. If you’re going to pick it up anyways, does it make any sense to be forced to wait for three delivery failures? Thank you US Mint.”

There may be differences between different UPS offices. In my area, I have been able to schedule a pick-up at the local UPS office after just one delivery failure. You may want to call the UPS number to check what the situation is in your specific area. I can’t say for UPS overall, all I know is that in my personal experience, I have been able to pick up coins from the US Mint after just one attempt. As they say, YMMV.

LL

48. Art says

Limalo: These are the new delivery rules ordered by the Mint starting last month. When was your last delivery? I used to be able to pick it up after one attempt.

I haven’t had to go UPS for a pick-up since Nov, but I was able to do it after the first attempt. One would think it saves the UPS money, instead of multiple attempts.

50. Art says

You cannot do that any more. You have to wait for 3 delivery failures before pick-up because of new rules set by the Mint, not UPS. I wrote to the Mint transportation director to complain, but so far, no response.