2012 Kennedy Half Dollar Bags and Rolls

Today, May 15, 2012 at 12:00 Noon ET, the United States Mint will begin sales of the 2012 Kennedy Half Dollars in bags and rolls. Since 2002, this denomination has not been produced for general circulation, but only distributed by the US Mint within various numismatic products.

The Mint will offer a 200-coin bag, containing 100 coins from the Philadelphia Mint and 100 coins from the Denver Mint. This are placed within a canvas bag sewn shut with an indication of the “P” and “D” mint marks, the date, “Kennedy Half Dollars”, and the face value of the coins.

Each bag is priced at $139.95. This represents an increase of $5 from the price charged for last year’s similar bags. Over the past two years, the price has increased by $9.

There will also be two-roll sets of the 2012 Kennedy Half Dollars available. The product consists of one 20-coin roll from the Philadelphia Mint and one 20-coin roll from the Denver Mint. These are packaged custom US Mint branded wrappers, which indicate the year, mint mark, face value, and issue.

Each two roll set is priced at $32.95. This represents a decrease of $2 from the prior year. Two years ago, the product was priced the same as this year’s offering.

For 11 years, the half dollar has been produced for collectors only. During this time, mintage levels have diminished, but seem to have stabilized around 1.7 to 1.8 million coins per year per mint facility.

2002-2012 Kennedy Half Dollar Mintages

P D
2002 3,100,000 2,500,000
2003 2,500,000 2,500,000
2004 2,900,000 2,900,000
2005 3,800,000 3,500,000
2006 2,400,000 2,000,000
2007 2,400,000 2,400,000
2008 1,700,000 1,700,000
2009 1,900,000 1,900,000
2010 1,800,000 1,700,000
2011 1,750,000 1,700,000
2012* 1,800,000 1,700,000
*Production for the year to date.

At the time of this post, the two roll sets of 2011 Kennedy Half Dollars still remain available for sale on the US Mint’s website. It is possible that sales will conclude to coincide with the start of sales for the current year products. Although there hasn’t been much consistency over the years for product sales ending dates, most recently the US Mint seems to be concluding sales of numismatic bags and rolls when sales of the current year product begins. In the case of denominations with multiple designs, this has been occurring when sales start for the design one year ahead in the schedule.

Comments

1. Fosnock says

APMEX has the first ATB “5 oz coin” listed as Availability: 6/30/2012, but they are not taking orders

Since the Mint only sells the “P” and “D” Kennedy Halves together in equal quantities among various product options, why are mintages between the two facilities different almost every year? The coins aren’t issued for circulation, so what happens to the extras from Philadelphia? For example, in 2010 and 2011, where did the extra 100,000 and 50,000 P coins go? Why aren’t the two Mint marks struck in the exact same quantities?

Fosnock,

Interesting, appreciate the update. Perhaps we’ll see a resumption of the production of the numismatic varieties sometime in July, then. If they plan on releasing all the 2012s uncirculateds during 2012, we’ll get one a month until December (unless they release one during June, which I guess is not out of the question).

Back OT, I’m a little surprised that in the midst of the wave of price cuts they actually increased the price of the half-dollar bags.

4. Travlr says

@ Brad

Could the “extra 100,000 and 50,000 P coins ” be used in any of the annual sets? That is an interesting observation.

5. george glazener says

or perhaps they’re bulk sold in uneven quantities to secondary distributors like Coin Vault or other high volume internet sellers?

6. J A says

Now this is a series I’ve been collecting for about 3 years but due to the price increase, I’m going to have to pass.

7. CW says

I really wonder why the mint does not offer a roll of silver halves for sale to collectors. It would be affordable for most of us who are already spending hundreds on commemoratives and gold anyway. Likewise for quarters and dimes. Offer us rolls with 90% silver coinage.

8. george glazener says

@CW;
    I second that opinion. I’d buy fresh new 90% Silver Kennedy Halves and ATB quarters by the truckload..!!

9. jfeff72 says

I don’t get this half dollar offering….a whole bag…of zero PM Kennedy coinage? …what do folks do with these bags year after year? -they have no future value that I can perceive from past performance…..

If the Mint minted these in silver editions like the SE….they’d sell a million every time….

10. Natatack says

I would like it even more if they sell them as .999 fine as proposed for the future silver proof sets to save money on the blanks. Imagine mint sealed bags of .999 Kennedy’s ! Hopefully not too scratched up for being to soft .

11. Natatack says

Remember the 50th Anniversay of the Kennedy half is rapidly approaching. I think the mint has the imagination to come up with some ideals like the ASE. High relief, matte proof, reverse proof,special finish like the ATB, .999 fine silver, special reverse for the year only or a set like the 25th ASE. I wonder who might buy something like that? I would definitely .

Natatack,

As the Kennedy half is currently my favorite circulating coin, I like the way you’re thinking! I’d love to see some kind of precious metal commemorative. Or perhaps they could just mint the entire run in 90% silver, since these coins are all being sold directly to the collectors now.

13. george glazener says

Not just the 50th anniversary of the coin itself, but in November 2013, the 50th anniversary of his assassination. Now that’s an anniversary that patriotic Americans are going to be glued to for months before hand. Buy ’em while you can boys..!!

14. Rolling Thunder says

A little off topic but,
    I just saw a TV news report that indicated the San Francisco mint is making 2012 ATB quarters for circulation that will bear the “S” mint mark! Showed Acadia quarters.

Anyone have additional information on this? Or was news report mixed-up and showed silver proofs?

A three coin “P, D, S” 99.9% uncirculated Kennedy set would be nice unique set for 2012 anniversary.

15. NATATACK says

Would be nice to include the Kennedy presidential dollar in an anniversary set but not due for release till 2015. Maybe they could make an exception without an act of congress to occur or if not possible a special commem{which would take an act of congress} to be included in an anniversary set. This would be a nice compliment to the 2006,2011,2012 ASE sets.

16. simon says

I am trying to assemble a type set of Kennedy Halves. Any special offering would be very welcome by yours truly. He is my most favorite President, and I’m also looking forward to the “golden” Kennedy Dollar, which will be very unique.

17. fosnock says

Off topic again but APMEX now says the El Yunque ATB will be availability: 6/1/2012, but again no pre-sales

18. billy silver says

To Rolling thunder, They also showed on NBC NEWS the mint making 2012 rev.proofs, they only stamped them one time.

19. jeff72 says

uhhh….what “golden Kennedy dollar”? …

special set?

..any of this real?

🙂

20. george glazener says

Alas, No.
    We’re all just daydreaming out loud and hoping the spies from the Treasury Dept. are reading and getting ideas..!!!

21. simon says

The 2015 Presidential Dollar Schedule is as follows:

33 Harry S. Truman 1945-1953
    34 Dwight D. Eisenhower 1953-1961
    35 John F. Kennedy 1961-1963
    36 Lyndon B. Johnson 1963-1969

I’m surprised that there are not two LBJ releases. Must be somewhere
    in the book of rules.

22. george glazener says

I predict the Frances Cleveland FS will be a big hit. She’s gorgeous, she was a popular First Lady in her day, and the buying public (like me) is eager for another winner in this series. Eliza, Julia, Lucy and Lucretia have made the series a snoozer for quite some time

23. Natatack says

Hope the mint picks up the ball and runs with a Kennedy Anniversary set. I think they could do really well with this set if they have some coins exclusive to this set. A limited production without having issues that popped up like on the 25th ASE set.

24. Leo S. says

Michael

What the h*** is happening with the FS coins. Half a year has come and gone and they haven’t even issued one. Are they trying to kill the series???
    They will have to issue 4 coins in 6 months.

25. Michael says

Leo S. – I am going to try to see what information I can get on the First Spouse coins and some of the other anticipated products that are late/missing.

As of this posting, silver’s $26.93. Who’s ready for a price cut on the US Mint’s numismatic silver products? No way can they maintain current prices in the face of this selloff!

27. G says

I kind of hope they keep the prices where they are- maybe we’ll have some low mintage. I’m in a semi-boycott until they take down the 2011 Buffalo. I haven’t ordered my proof set or my ASE yet. Just too mad about it.

28. jeff72 says

“………silver’s $26.93” !

just great….doesn’t anything except gas go up anymore? …

29. Two Cents says

Regarding the plummeting precious metals prices, remember the investors adage: Buy Low, Sell High.

Too often, people get caught up by the hype and Buy High or get caught in the panic and Sell Low. That naturally always guarantees that you lose money.

Treat this time as an opportunity to buy.

30. NATATACK says

@William/@Captain Overkill
    I agree a PM Kennedy commem would be well deserved for this, gold would be nice and maybe in the 1/10 oz or 1/4 oz, range to keep it affordable for the masses like me 🙂

31. jeff72 says

george glazener says:
    “Groceries….
    eBay fees…
    taxes…..
    health insurance premiums….”

oh yeah…how could I forget those 🙂

32. merryxmasmrscrooge says

I don’t care if the Kennedy half is silver, gold, platinum, or black carbon fiber composite. Though I’d like to see different reverses, such as a set themed with Kennedy’ leading our pioneering effort with the space program. Begin with the Mercury missions, then the Gemini missions, then the Apollo missions. Reverse art should include astronauts, the various space vehicles, Lunar Rover, and the surface of the Moon. Every year could bring 1 or 2 new reverses.

33. merryxmasmrscrooge says

the first issue in the series should be of Kennedy half with the reverse depicting him giving his famous speech… “We choose to go to the Moon and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard… because that challenge…

34. george glazener says

Amen Brother….that’s a GREAT idea. Can you imagine a 4-coin or 8-coin series of .999 commems with reverses like you mentioned coming out once every 3 months? WOW…now THAT’s how you really keep collectors hooked for years at a time.

Does the US MINT have the imagination and courage to do it???? I’d be surprised, but I sure hope they’re reading this b/c they would sell millions of ’em

George,

It’s the scenario I figured would play out if the sets didn’t sell out in a few weeks after sales began. The long backorder period gave plenty of cancellation time for would-be buyers if the sets didn’t turn out as hot as expected. There was no harm in speculators placing orders for the full 100 per household order limit, in case they sold out quick and commanded a fast premium. Now that it’s obvious that’s not going to happen, confidence is lost and cancellations start. Who knows, there might be more before it’s over.

36. george glazener says

@Brad:
    Very interesting….makes sense. So the resulting perception out there now is that the set will be a loser, even though the MINT has only sold about 44,000 or so. I wonder if after all the speculators have cashed out, and the product finally sells out at the MINT, that maybe then it will get back some respect and interest.