2012 Native American Dollar Rolls

Today, April 26, 2012 at 12:00 Noon ET, the United States Mint will begin sales of rolls and boxes of the 2012 Native American Dollar.

The reverse designs for the series celebrate important contributions and accomplishments of Native Americans. The theme for the current year’s coin is “Trade Routes in the 17th Century”. The reverse design by Thomas Cleveland features a Native American and horse in profile. Three small horses appear running in the background to represent the historical spread of the horse. The obverse design carries Glenna Goodacre’s depiction of Sacagawea and child.

Under Public Law 110-82, it is required that the number of Native American Dollars minted and issued each year shall be not less than 20% of the total number of $1 coins minted and issued during the year. From 2009 to 2011, this resulted in relatively high mintages for the series, driven by the production of Presidential Dollars. Since the Federal Reserve Banks did not place orders for Native American Dollars, the US Mint distributed the coins primarily through the now-cancelled Direct Ship program. With the production of Presidential Dollars extremely reduced, the production of the Native American Dollars should also follow lower.

The US Mint will offer circulating quality 2012 Native American $1 Coins 25-coin rolls priced at $32.95 each. Also available will be boxes of 250 coins priced at $275.95 and boxes of 500 coins priced at $550.95. Each option will be available with coins from either the Philadelphia or Denver Mint.

A standard shipping and handling fee of $4.95 is added to all orders. An additional charge of $7.95 per 500-coin box is also imposed. (As I mentioned before, this extra charge makes it cheaper to buy two of the 250-coin boxes rather than one of the 500-coin boxes.)

The recently released Chester Arthur Dollar had surprisingly high sales that reached more than 6 million after 11 days of availability. As of the latest report, sales have climbed to more than 6.5 million.

It will be interesting to see how sales of the 2012 Native American Dollars stack up. The 2011-dated coins have only generated sales of 1,151,800 through numismatic roll sales after more than a year of availability. This year, if sales of the Native American Dollars are lower compared to the average sales level for the Presidential Dollars, the US Mint will legally be required to find some way to issue enough additional Native American Dollars to get to the 20% requirement.

Comments

1. J A says

I like the NA dollars and the more I see this and the Chester Arthur prez coins, the more I think about getting them.

And I just can’t bring myself to do it either… sorry mint dudes

2. MarkInFlorida says

I’d buy them at face from the bank, but not with these premiums and shipping. And is it true that they all will turn dark brown no matter how you store them?

Is anyone hoarding nickels yet? When the steel ones come out the real ones will start disappearing like the silver coins in the 1960s. And with banks paying 1% interest and less, a rise in value of just 2 cents on a nickel (to 7 cents) would be like 40 years of interest! Dealers are now paying over 20 times face value for silver coins, how high will nickels go???

3. Mike says

I almost agree, but I really like the NA dollar this year. As for the presidential dollars I will NOT purchase, but I will proberly get the 250 box of the NA. I will hold on to most of them and perhaps spend a few and hopefully someone collects them..

J A,

At this point, the Mint has pretty much given up on trying to get these coins to circulate. The 2012’s are only being provided for collectors, and nothing that is intended for collectors only ever sells without some sort of premium attached. I really miss the original direct ship program, with no premium and no s/h charge, credit cards allowed to purchase and a limit of 2 boxes per design per household. The abuse that ultimately killed the program never would have happened if the Mint hadn’t did away with the order limits.

As much as I’d like to spend some 2012 Native American dollars, I can’t do it with the premium attached.

5. jeff72 says

J A says:
    “….But I can’t help but feel like a total fool for ponying up the extra $25 to do nothing more than distribute these coins for the mint!!!!
    And I just can’t bring myself to do it either… sorry mint dudes”.

Jeff72 says: My thoughts exactly. Pay a premium for “soon-to-tarnish” tin dollars with zero upside?

Love the reverse though….Say Mint? …you reading any of these post? …make a silver dollar of this one and we will come running with open wallets 🙂

I really like this design, and I hope it turns in a performance as good as the Chester A. Arthur dollar coins. I agree with other commenters though – if I bought a box of these, no way would I spend them.

As for nickels, I’ve filled up one of those big old pretzel jars with rolls of nickels. I don’t really plan to massively hoard them beyond that, though.

Off-topic, but it appears we’re about to have our second 2011 First Spouse casualty. The Eliza Johnson Uncirculated coin is showing backorder status now. If you haven’t bought yours yet, you’d better get that order in right away to have a chance. Gold has rebounded some today, so this week’s price drop might be short-lived anyway.

8. Drew says

Not to hijack the thread, but is it confirmed that they will be changing the nickel make-up to steel? If so when? Thanks in advance.

Drew,

It has not.

They’re talking about it but nothing has been decided yet. There is clearly momentum building for a change to take place, because several bills have been submitted to Congress by Congressional reps, the Mint is due to deliver a report on this subject at the end of the year, and the Canadians attracted a lot of media attention ending production of their penny outright.

The Mint is also likely to deliver a loss this year, which would add additional incentive for Congress (or the executive) to act. If you are wondering why they are leaving 2011 coins up so long, and why they are selling special sets minted to demand, this is one of the big factors.

I would guesstimate that we’ll probably see some kind of action on this issue taken in spring 2013. Maybe sooner if Obama wins the election – I think a Romney administration would potentially be busy moving in and setting up in the event that he wins, and would probably not pay attention to coins too much right away.

10. J A says

Call me a schmuck. I just placed an order for the Chester Arthur 250-coin box.

My son already has the collection up to now and when I looked up the prices for these coins on an unnamed website, they’re going for over $2.

I figure I can always sell the rest on FeeBay right?

JA- Just curious why 250? I know you can sell them for $2 or a little more, but if you factor the premium, shipping, e-Bay and Paypal fees, and your time, is it really worth it?

I got a roll set which is plenty for me. The most I can lose is $16 total if they are only worth face value in the future.

12. Tim says

Hmmmmmmmm, They have removed the 2011 NA dollars with the 2012 beginning today, strange they don’t do that on all products. No pattern to anything.

13. GatorTrekE says

Call me a schmuck as well but I like the N.A. design and will buy the 250 box, split the box with a friend, open one roll to spread them around and save the other 4. I rationalize it in that I’ve bought and sold some other coins (25th anniversary set and others) for a profit so if I lose a bit on this, it’s not big money and more importantly, I like the design, it isn’t always about the profit/loss.

FYI, I really like this blog and though I don’t often post, I do read it regularly and consider the posts by the regulars who come here to be valuable information and insight into the world of coins. Thanks to all of you and to Michael for making it available!!

From Dave Harper’s Feed Blitz:

Chomping at the bit to buy the 75th anniversary San Francisco two-coin proof silver American Eagle set when it goes on sale June 7?

Wondering if your online connection speed is up to the task?

Relax.

Don’t worry.

Your order will be filled no matter how slow your online connection time might be, or whether your phone has an automatic redial.

The Mint has changed its way of doing things.

Buyers will have 28 days to place their orders. All who meet the July 5 deadline will have there orders honored.

Price is an unknown this far in advance.

15. Samuel says

just curious about how dealer will do to the 75th set. for those several-thousand-mintage 1-per-household australian coins, dealers have a lot to sell at the bay. they may hoard huge amount to sell in the coming years.

16. J A says

@Louis you definitely have a point. I suppose I was feeling gouged by the markup enough to make me get the box of 250. The markup on the individual coins is over 100% while the markup on the 250 coin box is roughly 10%

But on top of that, because these are not being distributed by the banks and the sales figures got off to such a hot start, they may wind up being bigger collector’s items, especially if the mint stops producing them.

17. dylan says

Maybe it’s just me, but isn’t releasing a set with an unlimited mintage and no ordering limit not ultimately any better, and in many ways worse, than releasing a set with a 100,000 limit and a ordering limit that was too high?

I thought everyone, especially the mint, had udnerstood the problem with the A25 sets: the ordering limit was too high. So, for the 75 anniversary set – just lower it to 1 or 2 – maybe with a higher mintage limit of 250,000 or so… problem solved! everyone could be happy.

….. instead…. they are going to allow a gigantic mintage with no order limit….. they are resolving a problem that never existed and destroying most of the collectible value these sets should have…… why am i not surprised?

18. billy silver says

why do the 2006w unc silver eagles look so different than the 2011 w unc silver eagles

19. Don says

im assuming part of the reason for this is greed. obviously they knew mintage should be a little higher and ordering limit should have been lower. I guess we will see on pricing.

20. billy silver says

Roman finish were made in 1909 and 1910 only in gold not silver. these pieces are sharply struck and have squared-off edges and a satin-like surface finish, not too much different from an uncirculated coin[which causes confusion among collectors today and which, at the time of issue, was quite unpopular because collectors resented having to pay a premium for a coin without a distinctly different appearance.

21. backbeard says

Off-topic who receive their 2012 American eagle gold proof coin ? It sure looks like a nice investment in the long run.

22. Tom says

Keep in mind that another option come May 14 is the 100 coin bags of Native American dollars.

The 25 coin rolls are being sold at a 31.8% premium to face value, the 250 coin boxes at a 10.38% premium, the 500 coin boxes at a 10.19% premium (11.78% if one includes the additional shipping fee), and the 100 coin bags will be sold at an 11.95% premium to face value.

23. Mercury says

Can anyone out there tell me where does the sale of the 2011 Native American Dollars US Mint rolls stack up in mintage to previous releases? I wasn’t too thrilled about the 2011 design, and I’m wondering how it all translated in overall sales of its P & D Mint Rolls.

24. Michael says

The numismatic roll sales were down a lot compared to prior years. You can dig though sales report archives to find the last appearance of the 2009 & 2010 rolls here http://news.coinupdate.com/category/us-mint-sales-reports/

These roll sales aren’t reflective of the total mintages, since the coins were also offered via the Direct Ship Program. The US Mints overall production numbers can be found here: http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint/coin_production/index.cfm?action=production_figures