2012-P Hawaii Volcanoes Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coin

The United States Mint will begin sales of the Hawai’i Volcanoes National Park Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coin today, September 24, 2012. This will be the fourteenth numismatic release of the series.

The reverse design of the coin features an eruption on the east rift of Kilauea Volcano, designed and sculpted by Charles L. Vickers. When the initial design candidates were reviewed, both the CFA and CCAC were strongly in favor of this alternative based on the strong, singular image. The obverse design carries the 1932 portrait of George Washington designed by John Flanagan.

This numismatic version of the coin carries the “P” mint mark on the obverse as well as an “uncirculated finish” created through a vapor blasting technique. By contrast, the bullion version of the coin, released earlier this month, does not bear a mint mark and has a brilliant finish.

The 2012-P Hawaii Volcanoes Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coin is priced at $204.95 and has a maximum mintage of 25,000 pieces. There are no household ordering limits imposed.

Pricing for this release is the same that has been in place for the product type since late December 2011, when the market price of silver was around $29 per ounce. Sales of all available issues for the product type were suspended in late February 2012, when silver rose above $35 per ounce, but sales were resumed when the price of silver receded. On Friday, I mentioned the possibility of another suspension and/or repricing as silver briefly rose above $35, however silver is now back under $34.

The bullion version of the Hawaii Volcanoes Five Ounce Silver Coin was released on September 10, 2012. Sales have reached 10,400 as of September 21, 2012.

Comments

1. ClevelandRocks says

Got a backorder email for my Garfield with “expected ship date” 10/12/12. The “standard” 2 week backorder moving date I think.

Why did FS “sell out” way below mintage max and 2011 ATBs, Buffalo still for sale? How hard would it be for the Mint to melt a .999 gold Buffalo?

Obverse of the Girl Scout coin blah, at least no boy on it!
    Boy Scout coin weakest current value in aftermarket, so think sales will not be good. I too read the original article Michael put up saying the 350k would likely be a quick sell-out and thought this was a tongue-in-cheek remark.

2. Boz says

As to my opinion on the looks of the Hawaii coins, I am not hardto please. I don’t buy the bullion ones so I don’t have anything to compare to. I have been impressed with their quality, and while others may disagree, the spitting fire and lava ifind very attractive. I like ’em!

3. Eddie says

Mine were mailed out today can’t wait.
    But as to my earlier what does happen to say the extra 2010 and 2011 coins the mint made?

4. JohnT58 says

When the mint finally pulls the plug on the 2011 ATBs, do you think they will retire them all at the same time?

5. Olde Sailor says

After spending 28hrs parked in Indianapolis Fedex SmartPost (Pony Express) it only took horse & rider 21hrs to go over 2 states to WVa, for the next rest stop (Oh by the way, delivery only slipped 2 day-sure glad Monday isn’t Federal Holiday !) Hope horse & rider gets enough rest to make southern VA. Smart Post sucks!

JohnT58,

I don’t think the Mint WILL pull the plug on the 2011 ATB’s. They were anticipating higher demand for those based on what happened with the 2010’s, and I’ll bet all 35,000 for each design were struck. So, they will probably be left for sale until they’re all gone (basically, until they die of natural causes.)

However, if some merciful phantom does indeed pull the plug from the respirator, I’m thinking all five 2011 designs would be put out of their misery at the same time.

Olde Sailor,

Yes, I also despise the Fed Ex Smartpost shipping method. I’ve never understood why it always seems to take an extra day or two longer than logic would dictate it should. Fortunately, the Mint doesn’t ship too many of my orders in that fashion.

8. JohnT58 says

Brad,
    I am thinking of picking up a couple extra pieces before the price is raised. In my opinion, there is no way they will sell 35,000 of the 2011’s. If one were to think the mint will retire the 2011s all at once, then it would make the most sense to purchase the Chickasaw as that one has the lowest mintage. If I think that the 2011s will hang around forever, then I would be inclined to purchase the design that I like the best which would be the 2012 El Yungue. The mint never makes it easy.

9. SilverFan says

The Mint sometimes pulls the plug on items in December of the year after release with notice of a “Last Chance” sale. My guess is that the 2011 ATBs will be removed on or before 1/1/13. We will just have to wait and see.

10. Eddie says

I hope not I am trying to buy the 2011s while I am trying to buy the 2012s. Believe me it isn’t easy doing this with what little bit of money I have. But if I can it will be will worth it.

Olde Sailor – I’m in the same “boat” as you. My atb is also in WV, scheduled for Monday delivery in Hampton Roads area.

12. Boz says

My Hawaii coins were shipped in ex-Chickasaw boxes with a new sticker placed over the old one. I had noticed this before, but usually on itemsalreadypulledfromsale. I wonder if I can read into this an inference that the 2011 dated pucks will go, off sale soon?

Or perhaps the Pitney bowes people just ordered way too many empty boxes or Chickasaw stickers.

13. Olde Sailor says

VA Bob, Hawwaii arrive in Norfolk this AM & delivered this PM.
    BOZ, mine came in its own box – No relabling.
    I am disappointed with it, not much contrast (the “P” is just a hunk of silver) I think the bullion looks better !

Olde Sailor – Mine says still in transit to Chesapeake, estimated arrival 1 OCT. Sure would be nice if they slip up and deliver Saturday.

15. Micro says

I received my Hawaii coins yesterday, and I’m a bit disappointed – all three have dents in the obverse rim at the 2 oclock, 6 oclock, and 10 oclock positions. Must be caused by something in the press process, because the dents also have the vapor blast finish.

Anyone else seeing these dents? I’ve never had to return any of my AtB coins before, so these may be my first.

Micro – The Mint should never have bent to the congresses whim to make these 3″ in diameter. A two inch or two and a half inch design on a thicker planchet would have been better. It would have allowed higher strike pressures, on the face and during edge lettering (which I believe are causing some of the rippling you see on the edges at times) for crisper designs. Would also have been better for the collector as there would be a much better chance for 70’s (for those to which that is most important), and be easier to store. The vapor blast probably would not have been necessary to hide flaws either.

I abandoned the 5 oz. P ATB’s after the 2010’s. Those were not the best purchases I ever made, that’s for sure. Silver bullion at $55.99 per ounce. The prices they bring today are barely over issue price (sometimes even less), and by the time you pay all the selling fees and postage/insurance you’d be losing a bundle. No, I’m stuck holding those until silver gets high enough that I can unload them at a slight profit. I sure won’t be buying any of the 2011’s or later.

I made a bad call on those, and I’m not the only one. Oh well, you win some and you lose some. At least I’m not desperate for cash and can hold them indefinitely.

18. Olde Sailor says

Micro, my Hawaii has some of the same marks, also my Acadia has the mark.
    I have question the edge raised bars at 4. 8 & 12 o’clock (also the on Acadia), is it may be a blank characteristic ?

19. Micro says

VA, I agree with you, smaller diameter/thicker planchets would have given tehm more material to work with. I may be getting a bit too picky — I don’t expect every coin to be a 70. Overall I really enjoy the AtB designs. I plan to hold these coins and pass them on to my children.

OS, I had to take a second look at the “bars” on the side and sure enough, they align with the “dents”. I’ll have to think long a hard on whether to send them back and hope my return postage results in improved coins or just accept the dents as minting artifacts. Otherwise the Volcano is beautiful.

20. Bos says

Brad I tend to agree with you about the 2010 series, as the prices were higher than now, and the mintage levels were set higher as well. You will always have 5 ounces of silver though, which is a better deal than buying a Ipad or Iphone that will be outta date tomorrow.

The seams on the sides of the pucks I had wondered about myself. I thought the production problems had been resolved, but apparently they could not get rid of the mold lines. On some, the ridges are only noticed on the edges. On others, they come up into the raised rim edges.

Wonder how 5 ouncers are graded? Does the side seam or the rim ridge irregularity have anything to do with how they would grade?

Brad – I got my five 2010 ATB bullion for less than $960 slabbed. It was part of that APMEX fiasco, which worked out in my favor. The 2010’s are the only ATB bullion I have, I do have all the P mint marks to date. All I can say is I believe you’ll get your money back on them. Maybe soon than you think. I don’t see the economy getting better. In fact some economists believe there is going to be a double dip recession. Personally, I’d only sell if I needed the cash, but that’s the nice thing about a coin collection compared to say a butterfly collection.

My Hawaii ATB arrived today, the coin looks great and I’m very pleased, but I was wondering if anyone else noticed the vapor blast finish. On my example it appears almost none existent compared to other previous issues. The finish looks very smooth like any other Mint issued silver UNC. It’s not a complaint, I really like it, just wondering if anyone else had the same experience.

22. T1 browserman says

Received my Hawai’i 5-O z and its another ms 70 !

Every single ATB has been flawless examples of the bullion. Does the mint know that I am not an evil flipper and thus sends me excellent examples whereas when it comes to those they know are evil flippers send them the rejects ?

@T1 browserman – methinks that evil flippers are much more critical of the quality of US Mint products. Can you gue$$ why? Methinks that evil flippers expect every coin from the US Mint to be PR70 or MS70 quality. Hmmmmmm, I can’t gue$$ the rea$on for wanting $uch perfection. Can you ?

24. Olde Sailor says

Va Bob I guess I got all the vapor blasting ! my coin is all in the fog , not much on sharp details………….too much vapor

OS – Yeah mine is smooth. Definitely not the usual “sand blasted” look. There was some controversy in one of the previous years, that some of the “P” mint marks, escaped the vapor blast, perhaps when the tank was low on “vapor” (or better yet the grit in the vapor they use). Not saying that is the case here, just wondering how wide spread it might be.

26. Eddie says

I received mine yesterday and it looks really great. If I could afford it I would order 2 more they look great to me almost has a 3-D look to it.

27. dave says

i am on my second return. both had what looks like water spots on the reverse, but are probably a skip in the vapor process. has anyone seen the same?