2012 Presidential Dollar Uncirculated Set

Today, May 1, 2012 at 12:00 Noon ET, the United States Mint began sales of the 2012 Presidential $1 Coin Uncirculated Set. As a change from prior years, this product will have a limit of 100,000 sets.

Each set includes examples from the Philadelphia and Denver Mints for each of the 2012 Presidential Dollars honoring Chester Arthur, Grover Cleveland (first term), Benjamin Harrison, and Grover Cleveland (second term). These eight coins are packaged in a folder containing biographical information and portraits of each President.

The coins are described as “uncirculated” which has come to mean the brilliant finish used for the annual uncirculated coin sets. These coins are typically better produced and more carefully handled than the “circulating quality” coins included in the numismatic bags and rolls.

The price of the 2012 Presidential Dollar Uncirculated Set is $16.95. This represents a reduction in price of $3 compared to the price of the prior year set, which still remains available for sale.

It remains to be seen whether the elevated sales levels recently experienced for the Presidential Dollar rolls and boxes will carry over to other numismatic products for the program. The 2011 Presidential Dollar Uncirculated Set, which did not carry a limit, has sold 65,082 units as of the latest sales report. The US Mint has optimistically set the limit for the 2012 set more than 50% higher than this amount.

Numismatic Gold Product Price Increase

Just one week after a price decrease, it seems likely that prices will be increased for the US Mint’s numismatic gold product offerings. Based on the available London Fix prices for the weekly period, the average price of gold will most likely fall into the $1,650 to $1,699.99 range. In the most likely scenario, as long as the Wednesday London PM Fix price is above the $1,650 mark, then a price increase will take place.

The impacted products would include the 2011 Proof Gold Eagles, 2012 Proof Gold Eagles, 2011 Proof Gold Buffalo, 2012 Proof Gold Buffalo, 2011 Uncirculated and Proof First Spouse Gold Coins, and 2012 Uncirculated and Proof Star Spangled Banner $5 Gold Coins (plus the Two Coin Set which includes the proof coin).

Each of these products would see the price increased by $50 for each ounce of gold content. Price changes have usually been made effective around mid-morning on Wednesday.

Comments

1. TomP says

I think you mean the 2011 FS gold coins for the price increase. Thanks as always for one of my favorite blogs.

2. J A says

I can’t imagine why some people are continuing to collect some of these less popular, more expensive presidential items.

I started collecting the 2007/2008/2009 presidential proof sets and bought a boatload of each. Now it is so difficult to unload them for anywhere near what I paid for them.

I wouldn’t go near these with a ten foot pole.

You win some, you lose some.

3. DCDave says

Presidental dollars will never have a premium.
    They will likely be worth $1 each forever.

4. Michael says

While the prior year Presidential Dollar Proof Sets all seem to sell at a discount to the original price, the 2007 and 2008 Presidential Dollar Uncirculated Sets sell for premiums based on completed eBay auctions.

The Presidential Dollar uncirculated sets also have more of a unique presentation compared to the proof sets, which are basically the same plastic lens included in the full annual set.

5. fosnock says

Well what gets me upset was I was attempting to collect the Annual Uncirculated Dollar Coin Set – the one with the uncirculated ASE, when the mint did not produce the 2009, and 2010 uncirculated ASE it killed the collection

6. Leo S. says

To JA

I know the FS series is expensive, but I enjoy it for its historic interest and the beauty of the coins. I know from the comments here that not many collectors are interested in the series and they feel that the collector value is lacking. Be that as it may, the coins will always have a 1/2 oz of gold and if I live long enough, I will complete a set that I enjoy.

Leo S.

7. ABC says

I don’t understand why the First Spouse coins haven’t been released yet. If they were to release them, then they would need to be released within the next 8 months. That’s one every two months if they were to start releasing them right now.

8. VABEACHBUM says

Michael – I think the interest in the 2007 and 2008 sets might have to do with the UNC Numismatic “finish” they received. At the moment, I don’t remember the specific term the Mint used for that finish. However, I do know that those coins were unique, and were different from the circulating quality coins that were available in rolls during that same time – and the 2007 / 2008 coins are different from the circulating quality coins currently used in these sets. The 2007 Set also was unique with its additional options for mint-specific, 4-coin sets.

I also like the fact that the packaging and presentation of these sets received only minimal changes as the Mint implemented its re-marketing strategy across the products. That ugly black bar is only slightly intrusive and fits nicely onto the existing graphics.

Fosnock – right there with you!! The Mint had all of the components needed to reintroduce that UNC Dollar Set in 2011, and at one time early on, it was listed as a potential offering. I was sorely disappointed that the set did not reappear.

9. Wylson says

ABC, I think the mint is using the 75th SF set as a test bed for offerings. I’m thinking they may offer the pucks and spouses for a set period of time with no order limits. Minting to demand would eliminate the problem of melting extras that don’t sell.

10. ClevelandRocks says

May NOT get price increase today in London Fix below 1650 at 10am EST.
    (Currently hovering around 1650).

11. Michael says

VABEACHBUM-

Yes that is correct, the 2007 and 2008 sets featured coins with the “satin finish” which was more distinguishable in appearance from the regular circulation strike and treated as a separate version by the major grading services. The satin finish was also used in 2009.

12. kip caven says

so am i reading/seeing that the set of clad prez dollars are pretty much worthless? well that just sucks when you have a big bag of em!
    would it be a good idea to stop buying them now? i was just about to order the 4 prez set for 2012 but read the comments first and now i dont know if i want any of them-im not an expert at this and any help is appreciated
    any comments?