Today, June 4, 2012 at 12:00 Noon ET, the United States Mint will begin sales of the 2012 Silver Proof Set. This annual set includes 14 coins, with the dime, quarters, and half dollar struck in 90% silver.
Each 2012 Silver Proof Set includes the following coins:
- 2012-S Lincoln Cent
- 2012-S Jefferson Nickel
- 2012-S Roosevelt Dime – 90% silver
- 2012-S America the Beautiful Quarters – 90% silver. Designs featuring El Yunque National Forest, Chaco Culture National Historical Park, Acadia National Park, Hawai’i Volcanoes National Park, Denali National Park and Preserve
- 2012-S Kennedy Half Dollar – 90% silver
- 2012-S Native American Dollar
- 2012-S Presidential Dollars – Designs featuring Chester Arthur, Grover Cleveland (first term), Benjamin Harrison, Grover Cleveland (second term)
These 14 coins are packaged in three plastic lenses, which are placed together with a certificate of authenticity into an outer cardboard box. Each 2012 Silver Proof Set is priced at $67.95.
The price is the same that is charged for the 2011-dated Silver Proof Set, which originally went on sale January 25, 2011 and still remains available. During the course of this offering, sales were suspended when the market price of silver rose to more than $43 per ounce, but ultimately resumed at the same price after silver fell.
This is actually the first time in several years that the price of the annual Silver Proof Set has not been increased. Original pricing for previous years has been $44.95 (2008), $52.95 (2009), $56.95 (2010), and $67.95 (2011).
An interesting trend to watch will be whether the 2012 Silver Proof Set manages to outsell the standard clad composition 2012 Proof Set. Each year since the introduction of the 90% silver proof set in 1992, sales have fallen below the level of the standard composition proof set. Collector preferences may be changing.
So far for this year, the 2012 America the Beautiful Quarters Silver Proof Set has outsold the clad version of the set. Most recent sales were 109,767 for the silver set vs. 91,454 for the clad set.