2012 Star Spangled Banner $5 Gold Coin and Silver Dollar

Sales of the 2012 Star Spangled Banner Commemorative Coins will begin at the United States Mint on March 5, 2012 at 12:00 Noon ET. The available products include $5 gold coins and silver dollars in individual proof or uncirculated options, as well as a two coin proof set.

The program was authorized under Public Law 111-232 to commemorate the writing of the Star-Spangled Banner, the national anthem of the United States of America. The designs for the coins are required to be emblematic of the War of 1812 and particularly the Battle for Baltimore which formed the basis for the Star Spangled Banner.

The United States Mint initially prepared ten obverse and eight reverse design candidates for the $5 gold coin and six obverse and nine reverse design candidates for the silver dollar. These were reviewed by the Commission of Fine Arts, Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee, and the Maryland War of 1812 Bicentennial Commission.

During the review process, the CCAC took the interesting approach of evaluating all obverse and reverse design candidates together, without regards to how the US Mint had identified the designs. This resulted in obverse designs intended for the $5 gold coin being recommended for the silver dollar and vice versa. The Secretary of the Treasury followed these recommendations for the final design selection. (See coverage of the CCAC and CFA reviews and recommendations.)

The Star Spangled Banner Silver Dollar carries a design emblematic of the theme “The Battle of Baltimore at Fort McHenry. The obverse design depicts Liberty waving a 15-star, 15-stripe flag with Fort McHenry in the background. The reverse features a waving modern American flag. The obverse was designed by Joel Iskowitz and sculpted by Phebe Hemphill, while the reverse was designed by William C. Burgard III and sculpted by Don Everhart.

The silver dollars are struck at the Philadelphia Mint with the “P” mint mark. The maximum authorized mintage is 500,000 across proof and uncirculated versions.

The Star Spangled Banner $5 Gold Coin carries a design emblematic of the theme “The Battles at Sea During the War of 1812.” The obverse design depicts an American ship in the foreground with a damaged and fleeing British ship in the background. The reverse features the opening words of the Star Spangled Banner in Francis Scott Key’s handwriting against a backdrop of 15 stars and 15 stripes. The obverse was designed by Donna Weaver and sculpted by Joseph Menna, while the reverse was designed by Richard Masters and sculpted by Joseph Menna.

The gold coins are struck at the West Point Mint and carry the “W” mint mark. There is a maximum authorized mintage of 100,000 coins across proof and uncirculated versions.

The US Mint has indicated that the packaging for the individual silver dollars and gold coins will come in two different colors, blue or black. The blue packaging represents the older style prior to the US Mint’s rebranding, while the black packaging represents the newer style. To reduce waste, the Mint will use both versions of the packaging for this program, with fulfillment done at random.

A two coin set will be available for this program, which includes both the proof silver dollar and proof gold coin. This is the first time the US Mint has offered a multi-coin set for a commemorative coin program since 2008. For the two coin proof sets, there will be an initial household limit of 50 units per household. There is no stated product limit.

From the start of sales on March 5, 2012 at 12:00 Noon ET until April 5, 2012 at 5:00 PM ET, the Star Spangled Banner coins will be available at introductory pricing. After that date, regular pricing will go into effect. The introductory pricing for the silver dollars is $44.95 for uncirculated and $49.95 for proofs, while regular pricing is $49.95 for uncirculated and $54.95 for proofs.

The prices for the gold coins and two-coin proof set will be based on a grid and updated as frequently as weekly based on the average market price of gold. For the start of sales, individual $5 gold coins will be priced at $519.30 for uncirculated and $529.30 for proofs. The two coin proof sets will be priced at $579.30. These prices are based on an average market price of gold in the range of $1,750 to $1,799.99.

Outlook

It will be interesting to see how sales for this commemorative program fare. I expect that sales will run ahead of last year’s programs for a few reasons, although precious metals prices will have an unknown impact.

First, there are a smaller number of competing offerings from the US Mint, and in particular a smaller number of commemorative coin offerings. Last year collectors were presented with the largest number of different commemorative coins since 1997. The two programs included two gold coins, two silver dollars, and a half dollar (not to mention a commemorative silver medal). Other numismatic product offerings were also expansive, with the addition of eight different five ounce silver coins, a special Silver Eagle Set, and the return of the collectible uncirculated “W”  mint marked Gold and Silver Eagles. This year’s schedule should ultimately prove to be lighter, allowing commemorative offerings to hold more prominence.

Second, the US Mint has resumed the offering of a multi-coin set. Additional packaging options usually seem to add to overall sales. The US Mint also included the “Star Spangled Banner Bicentennial Silver Dollar Set” within a pricing notification. Presumably, this product will be released later, again adding to overall sales.

Pricing may also play a factor in sales. The prices for the silver dollars are set $5 lower than the prior year coins and these prices were established in early February when the market price of silver was lower. This could help sales as collectors see a relative bargain. On many occasions, the sales levels for fixed price silver products have jumped when the market price of silver has risen.

On the other hand, a rise in precious metals prices could cut into sales of the gold coins. The general trend has been for lower gold product sales as prices have moved higher.  Many collectors will be closely watching sales of the Star Spangled Banner $5 Gold Coins to see if the numbers eventually come in above or below the historically low mintages seen for the 2011 commemorative gold coins.

Comments

1. tbrokmeier says

For all those who like to clutter Michael’s blog with all this non-related garbage, why not start your own blog elsewhere were you can talk about this other garbage till your hearts content?? The ONLY thing you are doing here is commandeering this blog for your own selfish purposes and making it less and less something that a person wants to read!!

I sure hope Michael is hearing this comment loud and clear……

2. Jeremy says

@tbrokmeier, Below is a post from Dolores. I may be alone, but besides feeling obligated or the necessity to annotate the subject matter of individual comments, I agree with it entirely. This blog provides access to knowledgeable individuals. The comment section expands the topics and may even provide ideas for future blog posts. Through this discussion we can determine whether or not YOU may be in the minority and if it is an issue I’m sure Michael is more than capable of addressing it.

“Off-Topic – I enjoy reading whatever is discussed regarding coins. Sorry to those that feel inconvenienced … posters might consider just saying “off-topic” at the beginning of your message when your comment is off topic. I’ve learned a bit regarding the Dragon coin, I was not familiar with “Downies” – I ordered, I hope I get it ok. Thanks to a few of the posters I’ve picked up pieces of info. Thank you.”

3. ClevelandRocks says

Tbrokmeier,
    I agree with your comments.
    Enough with the dragons (with the old British queen) hijacking the patriotic topic on hand.

4. G says

Furthermore- the person complaining has two total posts, both complaining about others. How about adding info instead of complaining? All of us are interested in the SSB and other world mints as well

5. DCDave says

@G, Don’t you think the dragon stuff is getting a bit out of hand at this point?
    Don’t recognize most of the dragon posters…I assume you dragon groupies are not trying to drum up dragon sales on your ebay auctions…

Cleveland, Vaughnster, Hidalgo, CaptainOverkill and VABob (usually) seem more on topic (SSB) than most of these “new” posters…

6. Rolling Thunder says

@tbrokmeier – you’re right about one thing – it is Michael’s blog and I suspect he is very capable of determining what is garbage and what is not.

“Selfish” is wanting eveything for yourself – like restricting comments only to those things that interest you. Honestly there are many comments (on topic & off) that don’t interest me – it is easy after a few words to know what a post is about & decide if you want to read it or fast forward to the next comment.

I think a blog is about a free exchange of information – similar to freedom of speech being about an exchange of ideas – we don’t have to agree with the ideas but hopefully us American “patriots” agree with the individual right to express them

7. G says

DC- I think since it’s literally the release day of a very scarce issue, that people in here are interested in purchasing from a world mint, that it’s relevant info. Cleveland is always a good poster and I can respect not wanting world mint coins, but it is the year of the dragon, and they are some of the most interesting releases of the year. Can we help it if the Perth Mint comes up with a new scarce issue every month 🙂 But seriously, I think the topic SSB started the thread, and then as the day went on, the time sensitive rare dragon was talked about, and there is room for everybody in here- I don’t see it as a problem- how many times can people say they are waiting til Wednesday (like me) to see if the SSB prices drop. The liveliest discussions usually have to do with the most interest- like today- the SSB and the 2 oz dragon both came out. I don’t think people need to post a justification for what they are posting (that truly is a boring sidebar). I think the keys are: respect, relevance, and (no) repetition. It’s Michael’s blog- and I can attest to those being the 3 keys. For those curious, I decided against the 2 oz (powercoin has 4 left). For everybody else- I wonder what the ‘original art’ in the commemorative 2 coin SSB set will be? It’s certainly not in the photo on the website. cheers all! 🙂

8. G says

By the way- who else feels let down by the dangling increasing mintage of the 2011 Buffalo proof?

9. Jeremy says

I just want to make a few points and this will conclude my thoughts on the matter. First for those wanting the comments posted here to be strictly related to the SSB coins are encouraging others to find alternative sites to discuss “coin related” topics. Does this seem fair to Michael, however, I don’t know his thoughts on the matter so it may not bother him but that is the reality of it. Secondly, I’m not a huge fan of attempted censorship just because others aren’t interested. This type of behavior restricts creativity and ideas.

@DCDave, I’m not sure exactly who you’re referring to as “new” posters but some of us have been around for awhile. Furthermore, you do have a point which I haven’t thought of regarding ebay sales. Perhaps there are some with ulterior motives, who knows. However, that’s just conjecture and allegation but if that is the case this certainly is not the place to attempt to “advertise”.

@ClevelandRocks, I find it ridiculous to suggest that everyone must express some sort of patriotism and to limit communication based on a design stamped on a coin. Patriotism to me includes free flowing discussions so long as it adheres to the appropriate subject matter, in this case COINS!

10. DCDave says

Mildly off topic,
    Would be a stitch to see the silver 5ozers and w-ASEs come back with the same pricing AND even funnier if this happens and PMs shoot back up again. That’s what happens when there is no silver grid.
    Someone posted about not having the $1 coins in the 2012 sets, now that would be interesting…

Think it’s time to kill the ’11 Buffs too…
    Think it’s time to kill the 2011 annual sets also
    Makes you feel like a chump buying things when released when they never go away (IMHO)

11. DCDave says

@Jeremy, just “conjecture” here, but I’m reading Cleveland as pointing out the irony of the SSB coin topic, celebrating our victory over the British in the War of 1812, but our thread has more posts about this same British Empire’s coin (you know, the old lady queen on the front issue). So in this particular case it may not be about censorship as much as irony, and a little bit of patriotism.

12. Jeremy says

@DCDave, I hadn’t consider it that way. However, it seems that many would prefer that these coins displayed other designs on the obverse. Therefore, I don’t think I would view it as unpatriotic so much as an interest in a variety of coins. Given how popular that image is with so many mints around the globe its difficult to avoid. I find it laughable, not necessarily funny as to the irony of it though. I appreciate you pointing that out! 🙂

DCDave,

With the continuing dip in silver prices I do think it will not be long before the silver products are reintroduced at no change. I find it extremely unlikely that anyone will buy the 2011 silver products at a price increase after a major drop from silver like this.

For folks upset about ANDA, don’t be. I had a brief conversation with Bullion Baron a couple of days ago where he explained (assuming I understood correctly) that there is no apparent difference between the 2 oz ANDA coin and the regular variety of colored two ounce dragon excepting the ANDA packaging. Eventually “the community” at large is going to figure out that the maximum mintage of the 2 oz colored coins is 41,000 and not 1,000, at which point the values of the ANDA coin will collapse.

tbrokmeier,

I’ve already done so, and write about the dragons regularly. Furthermore, Michael has done large posts on the site about World Coins so I imagine he has at least some interest in the topic himself. If he really thinks we’re getting too far off topic we will certainly hear from him about it and that will be the end of it.

Furthermore as I said above, I expect the comments about the dragons to die down now that sales of the ANDA coin have ended. This kind of excitement happens with every “big” release.

You can get the same coin without the ANDA packaging for about $130 on e-Bay for those who must have a 2 oz color dragon. Hope the dragon police are not up!

15. Shutter says

celebrating our victory over the British in the War of 1812
    Would you guys feel better if the off-topic comments focused on the Canadian war of 1812 coins instead of a handful of dragon coins?

16. G says

Cap and Louis- seriously- the 2 oz coin is the same?? Lol. Glad I didn’t get one. How can they charge more at power coin?? Also- did u hear they are minting 200,000 more dragon coins with privy marks- like a way around the 300,000 mintage. That’s like the 2010 Gold W that… Err… The fractional proof buffalos this year that…. Umm… ATB 5 oz coins that… Uh… The silver pricing that…. Hmmm…. I’m starting to feel like the dragons like I did about the silver proof sets from the 2010 ATBs- and like i do about the 2011 buffalo proofs- enough! Stop torturing us! Take them off the site already! Stop taunting us

G- I don’t know but they may keep selling them along with the new Buffaloes, the way they do with proof sets. Or maybe they go off sale soon………..making them the second lowest mintage in the series.

18. Shutter says

Louis,

The Canadian 1812 coins look nice (on computer), but I have two problems with them. First, the gold plated coin is only available as part of a set of unrelated coins. Second, what’s with the weird sizes for PM coins with no rhyme or reason. Two different $1 coins: 23.17g and 7g.

Incidentally, for all of those misty-eyed patriots waxing nostalgically about war of 1812, Mr. Madison’s war was about the dumbest war US ever entered. IT was completely pointless, but the government compensated for that by being completely unprepared for it.

CO, speaking of mintages of the dragons…from what I understand, the black dragon from the Berlin World Money Fair is also included in the 20,000 9 coin set released for China as well as the 2,500 in the April release of the 10 coin dragon set…so it actually has a mintage of 27,500.
    Perth does this quite often…on the COA for the World Money Fair black dragon it states “Only 5,000 coins will be RELEASED in the special Coin Show packaging”….they never mention “mintage”.

20. Nate says

On SSB – a two-tier price reduction would be a nice surprise on the gold. I only bought the silver proof so far. I would’ve bought it in the special packaged set had it been available this week but now I’m not sure I’ll get a second proof by buying it later.

On dragons –
    Steve, it sounds like you have the Berlin dragon in hand. Did you order from the Mint? I ordered from Talisman both the Berlin dragon and Red Welsh and have received no coins and no updates!

Did anyone else order from Talisman or experience ordering from them in the past?

In other news, my new favorite dragon design may be the design from the tiny African country of Benin. Only a mintage of 888 too! Coming from such a random country I question the long-term collector appeal and coin quality but the design is great IMO.

Nate…I got one from Perth and one from Talisman.
    My order from Talisman was for the Berlin dragon, Guilded dragon & the Red Welsh dragon. I placed the order on Feb. 3 and received the coins March 2.

22. Nate says

Steve, thanks for that info. I ordered on Feb. 3 as well so maybe mine will be arriving shortly! Their website doesn’t offer much in the way of order status updates. I’ve been watching my CC for the charge to hit as an indicator that my order is being fulfilled but so far I haven’t seen any activity. Were you able to find out that your coins were on the way or did they just ‘surprise’ you at your doorstep?

Simon,

Yeah, if we’re lucky we might get a TWO-tier price drop on gold coins this week.

24. ClevelandRocks says

Great time to buy PM items on the aftermarket (or from APMEX and such dealers) you were putting off. PMs were spooked when there was no mention of QE3, but PMs will rise again. The dollar printing press is still working.

Yes, I was pointing out the irony of the 1812/SSB/British relationship with current coin discussions.

Steve,

Good point, I’d forgotten about the Chinese dragons. One can take some comfort in that the Chinese dragons will be harder to acquire, and will likely remain in sets, which will probably help premiums for the individual black dragons some. The ten-coin colored set to be released next month is probably also going to contain a black dragon as well, though the mintage for these sets will be pretty low (2,500 if memory serves me correctly).

Nate,

My six man coin buying group ended up, for a variety of reasons, splitting our orders between Perth and Talisman. Everyone who ordered from Perth should have received their coins some time ago. As for Talisman, the results have varied. I received my Welshes from Talisman two weeks ago. Two other group members received their Welshes at the end of last week. The last guy who ordered the Welshes had his order ship Monday. Finally, the one guy in our group who ordered a black dragon from Talisman has not yet heard anything from them.

My guess is that Talisman can be relied upon to ship your order – eventually – but it will take some time for them to do so. They may just be a small business with only a few employees. I would suggest contacting Talisman to see what the issue is if you are concerned over the delay.

On the SSBs, I am beginning to hope for a two-tier price decrease as well. I am probably going to wait and see what happens with gold prices first before ordering unless we get a two-tier price drop next week.

26. Nate says

I also suspect that Talisman is a bit overwhelmed with orders. It must be a smallish operation and they’re having trouble getting orders out the door. This isn’t due to the berlin/red welsh dragon releases though. A friend placed an order with them a couple months back and that order took 3-4 weeks to ship. He also placed an order for the Canada $20 for $20 Polar Bears and is waiting on those now too.

I emailed for an update but they’re probably too busy and maybe flooded with inquiries to answer. I also called in the morning last week but didn’t get an answer.

Talisman is a reliable operation so I’m not worried about getting my order filled eventually.

$1,683.75 or less is our target am price fix for gold tomorrow. I don’t think it will matter if the pm fix is back above $1,700 or not, since as long as it’s below $1,750 it will still agree directionally with the price change. The average still rules in that situation I believe.

Nate, Talisman will charge your cc a couple of days before they ship, but they will send you an email once they do ship.

How many people are going to buy the SSB gold? Proof/Unc or 2 coin set?

29. Nate says

I’m interested in the Unc only if anything. These always have lower mintages than the proof versions. They are cheaper and with the kicker of a possible collector premium due to the lower mintage I think they are the better value. I’m not interested in the set because I prefer to have my coins in individual OGP in case I choose to sell or trade one or the other.

I anticipate a one-tier move tomorrow but with gold trading below 1700/oz now I’m going to be waiting another week to see if we get a second downward re-repricing. For anyone interested in the gold commems I suggest waiting until gold prices stabilize. When gold starts to turn back up you’ll always have the chance to buy from the Mint before a Wednesday upward re-pricing occurs.

30. G says

The Mint is karmically destined to repriced the silver coins at exactly the price it pulled them on. I think they should get ride of the price grid personally- if the price of PM spikes above the Mint price- what’s the worst that happens, they sellout? I’d love to see the sales figures and @ what price they sold each coin at. What’s more profitable, selling 50,000 proof buffalos at 1700 when you paid 1200 for spot or selling 20,000 at 1850average? They should price it based on what they pay, make a profit, and then price the next issues higher if needed- they clearly don’t have the resources to keep repricing. And is it a bad thing for people to buy collectible coins below spot? If they’re worried about dealers cleaning them out and melting if it gets below, limit all purchases to 25 per household per mint run. Off topic- I got my Talisman red welshs last week. Also- anybody else get one of the crazy Mongolian long haired hedgehog coins? I ordered one about 6 weeks ago from powercoin, still no sight of it.

31. Shutter says

The prices go up AND down. What if the Mint paid $1,900? Is it better to sell them at $1,700 or $1,850? However, I do agree that the grid is a bad idea. Daily or semi-daily adjustments would work better. But no grid! just announce mark-up for each coin type ($ or %) and stick with it.

32. TheCoinKeeper says

ATB 5 oz’ers and unc ’11 eagle are for sale at the mint again at same prices they were at before being pulled.

33. coin collector says

“Perhaps people who’ve ordered SSBs could chime back in after receiving their orders about whether they received the phased-out blue packaging or the new black packaging.”

Jon, I just opened up my shipment from the Mint and the packaging for my SSB was black.

34. mrbeeg says

I got the proof and unc SSBs, as well as the proof Infantry yesterday. WORST QUALITY I’VE EVER SEEN. All three are going back. What the heck is going on at the Mint?

The proof Infantry has an iridescent haze/scuff all around the mirror-like parts of the edges (maybe 1/8″ in from the rim) on BOTH sides. The Proof SSB has a big spot near the edge on one side, and the same iridescent haze near the edge on the other. The unc SSB has some very noticeable scratches right neat the rim on one side.

Does anyone else see haze/scuffs near the edges of the proof coins? What is that???

(FYI – Both proofs were in new black packaging, while the unc SSB is in the old blue packaging. The proof SSB clamshell box has a nice metal Treasury badge stuck on the black velour, but the proof Infantry clamshell does not have this badge. Again, WHY???)

35. Phil says

I just ordered 1 each of the unc gold and unc silver SSB coins. Will wait till the special collector set comes out to get the proof silver SSB.
    Just read all the comments on this topic. There were too many off-topic comments. The problem I see with them is that they tend to “hijack” the main topic, causing hanging threads, unanswered postings, etc., which are annoying to those who are trying to follow the main topic. I think a few off-topic comments are fine, but when there are too many of them, it becomes a problem. Let’s try to be polite to others and keep this in mind before posting off topic comments. Try to keep them under control and try not to post too many of them.

36. Saucexx says

I’m a little late to the party but oh well….

Ordered the set which came in a black box, an unc gold which came in a black box, and the unc silver also in a black box. I like both designs and the unc seems like it might be the best investment of the bunch. Unfortunately the unc gold went back because of a wax(?) drop on the obverse and a scratch on the reverse. The unc gold I’ve ordered from the mint seems to have more problems than I’d expect. Last year I had to send an unc MOH back several times. The only other issue I had a problem with was the 5oz AtB Mt Hood. Man those things were brutal.