Today, May 7, 2012 at 12:00 Noon ET, the United States Mint will release the 2012 Proof Set. This product typically represents the most popular annual set and includes proof versions of 14 different coins.
Each 2012 Proof Set includes the following coins struck at the San Francisco Mint and carrying the “S” mint mark:
- 2012-S Proof Lincoln Cent
- 2012-S Proof Jefferson Nickel
- 2012-S Proof Roosevelt Dime
- 2012-S Proof El Yunque Quarter
- 2012-S Proof Chaco Culture Quarter
- 2012-S Proof Acadia Quarter
- 2012-S Proof Hawaii Volcanoes Quarter
- 2012-S Proof Denali Quarter
- 2012-S Proof Kennedy Half Dollar
- 2012-S Proof Chester Arthur Dollar
- 2012-S Proof Grover Cleveland Dollar (first term)
- 2012-S Proof Benjamin Harrison Dollar
- 2012-S Proof Grover Cleveland Dollar (second term)
- 2012-S Proof Native American Dollar
Perhaps removing some of the significance of the current offering, the cent, nickel, dime, and half dollar have already been released within the 2012 Birth Set. The five quarters have already been released in the 2012 America the Beautiful Quarters Proof Set. Four of the dollar coins have already been released in the 2012 Presidential Dollars Proof Set.
The only coin that will be available for the first time within the current offering is the 2012-S Proof Native American Dollar.
Last year, the US Mint had taken the approach of releasing the full annual proof set first, and the various component sets afterwards. This year, they have reverted to the more frequently used practice of releasing component sets prior to the full set.
The 2012 Proof Set is priced at $31.95 per set, which is the same price level used for the prior year. There are no ordering limits and no stated product limit.