2011-D Uncirculated Army Half Dollar

On December 16, 2011, the United States Mint concluded sales for the 2011 commemorative coins. Within weeks of that date, prices for the 2011-D Uncirculated Army Half Dollar have soared on the secondary market.

The coins have generated interest from collectors due to their mintage of 39,461, which represents the lowest mintage for a modern commemorative half dollar. Previously, the lowest mintage was held by the uncirculated version of the 1996 Olympic Swimming Half Dollar at 49,533.

Prices realized on eBay auctions over the past week for the uncirculated 2011 Army Half Dollars have covered a range from approximately $50 to $70 each. Some auctions have seen higher prices, particularly for coins graded PCGS MS69 First Strike. There have also been auctions in recent days with final prices just under $50, and even a coin listed with a Buy It Now price of $36.99, which was quickly purchased less than ten minutes after listing.

These prices compare to the last available US Mint price of $19.95 per coin. From the date of the initial release on January 31, 2011 until March 2, 2011, the coins were available at an introductory price of $15.95 per coin.

The high secondary market prices seem to have compelled more people to offer their coins for sale on eBay. In the first week of January, I remember seeing just a handful of the uncirculated Army Half Dollars listed, compared to about 80 listings right now. The higher supply of coins offered for sale may serve to dampen prices.

Besides the low mintage, another interesting aspect to the Army Half Dollar is the grading. Previously issued commemorative half dollars were produced with more of a satin or matte finish, and the special striking and handling allowed for a good number of coins to receive the highest grade of MS70 from PCGS or NGC. Using the 2008-S Bald Eagle Half Dollar as an example, the NGC population census shows 1,190 graded NGC MS 69 and 5,475 graded NGC MS 70.

The 2011 Army Half Dollars seem to have been produced with a finish resembling the brilliant finish found on the 2011 Uncirculated Set coins, which makes obtaining the highest certified grade much more unlikely. The NGC population census shows 2,008 coins graded MS 69 and just 16 graded MS70. The PCGS Population Report shows zero coins graded MS70.

Comments

1. Ikaika says

I can see this coin moving above $100 once all the news and supply decreases. The 1996 Olympic unc swimming half dollar sells for around $150 raw or in ms69. It will take a little bit of time but it will come.

I wish I had bought a few of these. They would have helped make up for some of the loser products that I unfortunately DID buy and am still stuck with! Oh well. I’ve definitely won some and lost some. I’m still ahead.

3. Thomas says

I (mistakenly) took a pass on these because (1) I thought the obverse was ugly and (2) they have no precious metal content. I think the excitement will subside as it usually does in these cases and the after-market price will drop to something more reasonable. For $60/coin currently, I would still take a pass and would rather buy two one-ounce silver bullion coins, which seem like a much better investment.

4. Fosnock says

I was looking at picking some of them up based on Micheal’s analysis in order to flip them, but as I do not collect them and I did not want to be stuck with a coin with no value, I passed big mistake oh well…

5. Fosnock says

Did anyone else get a US Mint survey testing the field for a special 2012 silver eagle set using the S mint mark?

6. Dan says

the good thing about the internet is that when I say “I told you so” I can back it up and verify it. anyone believing my posts made money- does not get any better than that.

7. auxmike says

I don’t do clad anymore. Even at it’s opening price it was’nt worth it. Now that everyone wants to sell theirs there will be a glut and the price will soon level out and in a year no one will care for this ugly clad coin. Save your money as it’s all about melt these days unfortunatly. I’ll be sticking with bullion ASE’s……
    Easy to dump at any jewelry/”we buy gold” store when hard times hit.

Samuel,

They haven’t announced yet whether they will do the 2012 5 oz AtB uncircs yet, assuming that is your question. I think we probably won’t hear anything until after the Chickasaw release.

Fosnock,

Yes I did. The poster Mike in the other thread discussed it. I saved the products questions and will paste them here.

The first screen told me that the Mint was interested in releasing a two coin set containing:

American Eagle Silver San Francisco Proof bearing a “S” mint mark
    American Eagle Silver San Francisco Reverse Proof Coin bearing a “S” mint mark

“This set will be the first in a series of annual special silver coin sets that the U.S. Mint will begin producing once per year, beginning in 2012. The second installment, featuring additional unique coins, would be produced in 2013.”

The next screen said that the sets will go for $125, with a planned 100K mintage and apparently there will be five per household again, forgot to save this info screen, so I hope I remember right.

The next page featured a question on whether you found certain coins appealing. The listed coins are:
    – Standard American Eagle silver proof coin
    – Standard American Eagle Silver uncirculated coin
    – American Eagle silver bullion
    – coin with a unique design feature – ultra high relief
    – uncirculated American Eagle silver coin with special mint mark (e.g., “S”, “D”, etc.)
    – coin with a unique finish – reverse proof
    – proof American Eagle silver coin with special mint mark (e.g., “S”, “D”, etc.)

It wasn’t immediately clear whether the UHR or reverse proofs will be silver, but I assume they will be. When asked which I wanted most I indicated UHR and reverse proof.

They also included a question about the household limits for these annual coin sets. I picked “2” and not “5.”

9. Jemakat says

I’ve been holding off on purchasing the 2011-P ATB because there did not seem to be any urgency with the price of silver down and them not being close to selling out. This afternoon I jumped in and picked up one each of NP6-9.

Samuel,

I’d strongly urge it if you want the products. When silver first hit $30.50, a guy from my coin-buying group and I both jumped and finally got the Olympic and the Vicksburg. Today he picked up a 2011 uncirculated ASE for himself as well to get ahead of any price increases.

I frankly am quite surprised no price increase happened today. I cannot imagine the Mint letting things go with the price of silver $4 above where it was when they cut prices.

11. auxmike says

I got an Email from Erin Gentzle at the mint RE: survey questions about mint services and products, haven’t finished it yet, but thought it was nice to see them want to hear from customers…

12. sandra zimmerman says

I received an email from Erin Gentzle as well. I did not receive the 25th Anniversary set because I ordered it at 6:30pm and was put on a waiting list. But…if they come out with this set, I will buy it. I also put a “2” per household and elected to put the UHR and reverse proof…I refuse to pay $750 for a scalped set. While looking at a coin magazine, I notice several advertisements with hundreds of sets for sale…What the heck????

13. EvilFlipper says

Took the survey. A dedicated s set with an ultra hugh relief at 75k would be incredible!!!

14. Shutter says

So, a year from now when there is another clad commemorative, people will remember this and buy them by the hundreds and get stuck with worthless scrap.

15. EvilFlipper says

My son had a school project that used a timeline of pennies from the year of his birth to now. We found a penny for every year except 2009, the yeAr of the Lincoln’s series. Anyone else notice this?

Shutter,

Unlikely. Clad coins are being panned so universally in the comments in spite of the success of the army half dollars, that I think sales will continue slipping for future clad commemorative releases.

EvilFlipper,

The 2009 pennies can be relatively hard to find, I’ve noticed. I found several in 2009 and early 2010 and then they seemed to disappear.

There are no plans that I know of to issue clad halves in the coming years. The Mint prefers to issues silver dollars and once in a while $5 gold coins. You can be sure that the next time a clad half comes out, people will probably not ignore it. If you don’t like the coin, that is your prerogative, but I would not be so sure that the army coin won’t do well. Look at the price for the previous key, with a mintage 10,000 higher. It is something like $150-200, and it is almost 20 years old. I happen to like the side with the continental soldier. I will bet a virtual beer that the army BU half will be worth $50 or more a year from now. And the PCGS 69 1st strike, which so far has a pop of 100, will be worth at least $200 or more. 80 coins, or whatever, on e-Bay out of a mintage of 39,000 is going to crash the price? I know a lot of people who are buying multiples of army halves now at current prices because they don’t read this blog and missed the cut-off……….Clad quarters will never be worth more than face, but these may do better than the naysayers here think.

18. Shutter says

CaptainOverkill,

You’re gonna go broke underestimating human capacity for stupid. There is some guy on ebay hawking “Glacier MS-69 DMPL First Strike” for $279, and managed to sell 2. Meanwhile Apmex is selling these for $197 (cc price) and just three weeks ago was selling them for $156. Back then, I bought a few of them on the ground that they would always be worth spot price. But why would anyone with a brain pay 40% premium for the privilege of buying from someone you never heard of, over an established dealer?

19. Shutter says

There are no plans that I know of to issue clad halves in the coming years.

If by “coming years” you mean 2012, then you’re right. If you want it to cover 2013, then you’re wrong. I looked it up.

Mint prefers to issues silver dollars and once in a while $5 gold coins.

Mint can prefer all kinds of stuff. In America, it’s the Congress and the President that decide what kind of coins are issued. It probably would be better if Congress provided general guidelines and let the mint decide on specifics, but if all those congressmen and senators didn’t spend their time micromanaging stuff they don’t understand, someone might expect them to solve some real problems. We can’t have that, can we?

Yes, I know about the 2013 five star general coins too. I am well aware of who decides what coins are issued. It’s late. I meant to say Congress. But the reality is more complex. The Congress and the Mint consult each other on this stuff. I have also worked for the Congress, and don’t need any lessons there. The Congress does not have a clue about any of this, or much of anything else. That’s why we end of with coins no one wants. The fact remains that come 2013 I suspect people will remember what happened in 2011, and they will sell more than 39,000 general halves. Also, look back at the past years, and you will see there are not very many commem halves since 1982. Look it up in the Red Book if you don’t believe me. There are way more dollars and half eagles.

21. Silver Surfing Scott says

Army clad half dollar was a dud yesterday, and it’s a dud today.
    I’ll pass on the whole lot. If I spend my money on a coin, it will
    at least look good. I don’t care if it’s a low mintage.

22. Zaz says

The Army half was designed by committee, and it sure shows. One of the most unattractive obverses ever, although the coninential soldier reverse is decent, and goes surprisingly well with the Bicentennial quarter’s reverse.

Re: the survey, I voted no on the “special” 2012 eagles, even though it would be nice to have a UHR and a S-mint proof. No point in the D-mint coins, as they have never been issued there. This set comes out, what’s to stop them from creating a “mint” facility for every letter of the alphabet? Once every five years is enough, no point in jumping the shark and turning into the RCM and churning out an array of coins year after year.

23. Wylson says

Silver Surfing Scott

There’s a reason it was low mintage, it was Ugly.

“Army clad half dollar was a dud yesterday, and it’s a dud today.
    I’ll pass on the whole lot. If I spend my money on a coin, it will
    at least look good. I don’t care if it’s a low mintage.”

It was/is good for flipping, if someones into that.

24. Shutter says

Don’t take this personally, but that’s essentially what I said at 10:03pm. I only added that after the mint sells all those extra 5 star halves, they will mostly end up with scrap metal.

25. Shutter says

No point in the D-mint coins, as they have never been issued there.

Not very compelling reasoning. Back in 1985 someone could have said: “No point in bullion coins, as they have never been issued by US”. For example, I oppose the idea of palladium coins, but it’s not because they’ve never been minted by US.

To folks panning the ugliness of the design as a reason why it shouldn’t be valuable, don’t forget that a lot of the First Spouse coins are equally unimpressive. That hasn’t stopped a lot of them from commanding some decent premiums on the secondary markets.

27. Zaz says

It’s called pumping the cash cow, since the US Mint missed out on the profit taking on the A25 sets. Anybody outside the official channels could’ve told them they were missing a golden opportunity on pricing the sets at $499.95 @ one per household, and still would’ve sold out in a day. The 2012 set is a superfluous vanity set designed to capture that lost opportunity, and offering that opportunity opens the door towards turning the Mint into into another RCM. A Denver minted ASE? No thanks, how about a Charlotte, Dahlonega or New Orleans ASE? No, there’s always Carson City, or how about new “mints” in Boise or Bozeman or Abilene? You see where this is going?

Zaz,

The Mint’s primary duty is to produce circulating coinage. While the numismatic program is profitable for them, I find it unlikely they will open up a ton of new mints solely to produce extra numismatic products. You would need time to construct the Mints, locate and train staff, buy equipment to produce the coins, and then get enough precious metals to actually make the coins.

Furthermore, the coin collecting community with the money to keep up with Mint releases is not very large. At a certain point collector wallets will reach the breaking point due to oversaturation, we already saw some evidence of this in 2011 with the falling AtB 5 oz uncirculated coin sales.

While I think the Mint has been going somewhat over the top recently in the flood of products it’s released, I find your proposed scenario to be fairly implausible. I expect 2012 to be at least somewhat quieter than 2011 in terms of releases, especially if they cancel the numismatic AtBs after the 2011 series concludes.

29. guama says

ZAZ,

Just wondering if you were one of the lucky few who did indeed purchase and receive an A25?
    I was not as lucky, so I would love to ride the mint’s coat tails instead of an ebayer simply trying to make a fast buck.
    If you’re not interested…just don’t buy one:)

30. stephen m. says

Captain O.&Everyone: The ATB 5 oz’s are what need to be reved up in proofs and maybe extra mint marks, sets etc. The 5 oz could make the mint a lot of money if they are done in interesting different ways that are available in a wider variety of exotic ways and mintmarks. Leave the silver eagles alone, for a while, and continue with the current available options for them.(after the release and quick sell out of the 25th anniversary set they need a rest and time to settle down) We don’t want to be flooded with a greater variety of silver eagles that may get out of hand and are only good for the flippers and TV people to make money off of.

31. Matt L. DeTectre says

The numba one rule for collectors is buy mostly what you like and can afford. The numba one rule for flippers, investors, and gamblers is try to buy what is goin’ up quickly or at least more than the inflation rate. Sure, most everyone wants their collection to increase in value so in that sense we are all investors. Gambling, buying for flipping, and investing in mint coins is what it is, somewhat risky but if that’s what you like to do and enjoy it then thats great.

As a collector if you always buy what you like and can afford you are nearly always satisfied. I did not buy this coin as I no longer do clad or commems. If I had known fer sure ahead of time it was goin’ up in value then I might have bought some, maybe. But then if I knew it ahead of time then it wouldn’t be risky. Good luck to everyone in their coin pursuits whether collector or flipper or both.

32. Ikaika says

I agree with the comments by Louis and Captain. There is always the debate of ulgy vs mintage as related to market value. Let’s take the 1997 Jackie Robinson $5 commemorative gold coin as an example. IMHO opinion, that looks like a pretty ulgy coin to me. However, it has one the lowest mintage of the gold commemorative coins and commands a price over $2K raw or in ms69 that is way above melt. So the mintage ends up winning. Again folks, this is just me.

Stephen M.,

I’ve been collecting the AtBs 5 oz coins since release, but the problem with them is that each successive sale dips lower and lower due to oversaturation of the markets and the somewhat unstable price of silver. They’re essentially headed to their own version of First Spouse territory. Introducing MORE five ounce AtB products will just serve to dissipate the AtB buyers even further.

If the Mint wants to revitalize the AtB program, I think they should stop producing numismatic AtBs. That will, presumably, send the buyers for those coins into the bullion releases and give the bullion a much needed sales boost. I also think it would behoove them to advertise the series better. In the catalogs leading up to the 2011 holidays, they did not advertise any AtB bullion or numismatic products despite having an abundant supply of them.

34. Leo S. says

Michael

What is with the Mint moving up the day of delivery on the 5 oz Vicksbury to one day in the future every time I log into the Mint website? I ordered it several days after the first day it was available and I keeps saying “Backordered” and the delivery day gets one more day in the future. I thought that these had already been minted and now I’m into Feb. 1. Any information?

35. ClevelandRocks says

Any thoughts on the 2011 silver sets? Wonder how long they will be available for and if they are considered a low mintage?

36. stephen m. says

Captain O. : That could be a good start to make something out of the 5 oz ATB’s. To be sure advertiseing would be and is a must. Some type of a giveaway/reward for purchasing each 5 oz ATB might have a place in conjunction with the advertiseing.

37. KEITHSTER says

Ya my vick’s keep getting pushed back also. The mint states it’s doing inventory .Sure hope thats all it is

Leo, Samuel, and Keith,

This has to do with issues in the Mint’s order fulfillment process. The company that ships orders for them, PBGS, has an extremely wonky process which does not accurately inform Mint users of their real ship dates. Your coins are coming and there is nothing wrong with them – this is extremely common with new releases. I find in general most new releases usually ship about two weeks after order.

If you’re interested in finding out more, I recommend searching for the posts/comments of Clair Hardesty in this post: http://mintnewsblog.com/2011/10/anniversary-sets-sold-out/#comments

He explains the order fulfillment process in much greater detail.

39. Clair Hardesty says

Basically, PBGS puts a “two weeks from today” ship date on anything that they are not ready to ship. That is a computer thing and it changes every day because what is in the computer is “today plus 14″, not a specific date. They never really give actual expected dates like other companies might do. Also, PBGS has never strictly followed the mint’s written policy that says they will charge your CC the day that product ships. Typically they charge your CC a day or two before they actually get product out the door, sometimes so much earlier that their hold on your CC expires (happened on a few of my 25th anniversary sets). I really hope that the mint has the guts to drop PBGS when the current contract expires.

40. ClevelandRocks says

Wow, the unopened 25th anniversary sets are going for over $4k/box of 5.
    I only have one set and won’t sell it, but thinking of selling my W burnished gold Eagle to fund other purchases. Any advice? The W was a great tip by Michael, but not very exciting to look at. Anyone think the W will go up like the ’08 Buff fractionals? Buffs have a nicer look, but I think the 11 burnished gold has lower mintage. Of course all the recent FS have even lower mintages so I’m wondering what people think…

@ClevelandRocks – I purchased 25th anniversary ASE sets and was debating whether or not to open the box. I decided to do so, despite the fact that unopened boxes were selling for more on eBay. Why? Because I bought the sets to enjoy, and not make a profit. Since I am a collector who enjoys the beauty of coins and the fun of collecting, it made no sense to me to keep them boxed up. So, I now have an opened box of sets and get to see my beautiful coins whenever I want.

42. Shutter says

The United States Mint will charge your credit card as items are shipped from our distribution center. That doesn’t mean you will be charged when the coins are turned over to UPS, but when the shipping process begins. This process typically does take 2-3 days. It involves printing the labels, packing the coins, and only at the very handing the boxes over to UPS. The mint sells stuff that is worth some real money , as opposed to useless junk made in China (as most mail order outfits). Therefore additional controls are in order.

I don’t think you understand how credit card systems work. The “hold” occurs as the result of authorization request. Once the charge is actually submitted, it is no longer a “hold”. You actually owe that money. Lots of companies (e.g. car rentals) will submit a a pre-authorization request for some nominal amount such as $1 just to confirm that the card is valid and active, but submit the actual charge at some later time. Some companies will submit pre-authorization for the full amount. With most banks, the authorization hold lasts 3 business days. So occasionally it is possible for a pre-authorization and the actual charge to be both on your account at the same time. Yet another reason not to max out your credit cards.

Why exactly? I think that PBGS has done a much better job than what the mint was doing on their own. Just recently I ordered something on 1/12. It was shipped on 1/16 and my card was charged on 1/16 (Yes PBGS works on federal holidays). It was delivered on 1/18. New items often take longer because the product has not been delivered to distribution center, but that’s the Mint’s problem, not PBGS’. I really hope the contract gets renewed when the time comes.

43. guama says

Hildago…it is refreshing to see someone actually enjoying the ASE sets instead of trying to flip to make a killing. Good for you! Enjoy:) I wasn’t so lucky to get even one set…maybe I’ll be quicker when/if the 30 year set comes out.

44. ClevelandRocks says

Thanks Hildago,
    I may regret it later, but time to cash in on my W burnished gold Eagle.
    Just doesn’t do it for me. Maybe I should buy some pretty numismatic silver before the price goes up. Wish they’d post a silver pricing grid.

45. simon says

Reminds me of the time I picked up the 4-coin Jackie Robinson Au and Ag set because I liked the commemoration. I had completely forgotten about it and happened one day about 6 years ago to look at the values on line and was utterly surprised! I just collect what I like and that’s it.

@simon. I bought the UHR gold coin because I liked the design. I had to pay an arm and a leg for it — $1200. One day I decided to look on eBay to see if I might want to sell it. I couldn’t believe how much it had gone up in value!

Despite its current value, I will hold onto the coin for a very long time…. I bought it for its beauty, not to make a profit.

47. ClevelandRocks says

For the time ever, I bought the burnished gold Eagle because I wanted to flip it (maybe I can be Evil Flipper #2). Looks like a plain ol bullion piece with a tiny W on the front. I bought several Mt. Hoods because I like the way it looks. Annoyed at the Mint for lowering the price of the only ATB I bought multiples of. BUT still happy I have the Hoods since I like the design. Got a d Army clad since Michael recommened it but will keep it (won’t flip it) since it reminds me of the bicentennial quarter that I loved to hoard as a kid.

48. ClevelandRocks says

On the Evil Flipper side of me, any thoughts on what available First Spouse gold will have the lowest sale #s?
    This may be the true low mintage# of any gold product ever sold by the Mint (actually not sure of this).

CR,

In general the Spouse sales trend downward with every release. The newer the coin, the lower the sales. Theoretically, if the series makes it to Nancy Reagan, she will be the lowest sales number. You’d have to wait a long time though to get there. I would say almost any of the current first spouses for sale at the Mint will have good premiums on them when sales end.

50. ClevelandRocks says

What’s going on with the Vicksburg coin?
    I ordered the coin on day of release and now backordered until Feb 3rd?
    Why is mine backordered to the same day as listed on the Mint website for someone who orders today?

I don’t remember ever having a ATB ordered on day of release (I have done this for the entire series so far) and have the backorder status for so long.
    Is there a problem?

51. Fosnock says

No idea but I have been waiting for over a week for some ATB silver proof sets. They are in stock and reserved. I can’t remember waiting so long for them to ship. Silver shortage?

Cleveland Rocks,

On the First Spouse note, I still think that the Lucy Hayes Unc will be the low-mintage winner of 2011, and possibly for the series thus far. It all depends on how many more the Mint struck before year-end. It’s possible there could be fewer than the number of Julia Tyler Uncs, if the Mint only struck them to say 2,500-2,700 pieces. With the final sales number at the end of 2011, that final number of coins seems entirely plausible (to me, anyway.) Do with it what you will, but that’s my thought anyway.

53. William says

Do you think the Mint will raise prices today on the 5 ounce ATBs? I’m a bit hesitant to pull the trigger, but tempted at the same time since their premiums right now above silver content are comprable with bullion.

54. TMM says

I am not sure that this is the reason for the delay in product deliveries, but on the home page of the US Mint site the following message is posted…

“Due to the United States Mint’s quarterly inventory, expedited shipping will not be available for orders placed from January 16 through January 23, 2012. Orders over $300 and orders containing gold or platinum United States Mint collectibles will receive a complimentary upgrade, but may experience a slight delay. Expedited shipping will be available again for orders placed on or after January 23, 2012. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.”

William,

Assuming silver stays at least at $32, it could come at any time. My advice to you is if you want the Vicksburg or other 5 oz AtBs, don’t wait around. While the silver price could certainly fall, I find it unlikely, given the uptrend in metals, that we’ll fall to the point where the Mint does another price cut.

It’s a bummer, since if I was going to buy the 2011 numismatic ATB’s I was hoping to wait until Chickasaw was on sale so I could buy all 5 as a set at one time. It doesn’t look too likely that the $204.95 will make it until February 9th for Chickasaw, though. The only way I can see that happening is if once silver hits $33 it then drops like a rock back down to the $28-$29 range.

57. VABEACHBUM says

William – Like you, I had been thinking about picking up the latest ATB-P coins, but was planning to sweep next month with the release of the Chickasaw issue.

Following up on CO’s comment, after watching metal prices over the last week, and given some of the events playing or getting ready to play out on the World’s Stage (EU proposes embargo of Iranian oil), I pulled the trigger on the 4 ATB-P pieces currently available.

I like the coins and the series, and was going to buy them eventually. PMs and oil are going to continue climbing in the short-term, and will be slow to recover with any noticeable relief. With that, I don’t see the prices of these coins getting any lower but, at this rate, there is a very real likelihood that they will be repriced higher in the next 1-2 months.

58. SmallPotatos says

I went ahead and got the two Civil War based AtB’s (Gettyburg & Vicksburg) just in case. I am still debating on getting the remainder. i would like to round out the 2011’s, but i have to build my allowance back up from last year!

59. vaughnster says

It’s pretty pathetic that the Mint’s web site only goes into February for the 2012 release dates for their products. Is that the best they can do??

60. simon says

Just wondering if anyone here is a roll collector. Someone offered me a mint wrapped roll of 2000 D Sacagawea dollars which says in print “Directly from the US MInt” Just wondering if this is a worthwhile pursuit? THANKS!

Simon,

Depends on what you are being charged for it. 2000-D Sacagaweas are as common as dirt. See here for the mintages: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacagawea_dollar

I would not pay anything over what you would pay for a roll of uncirculated presidential dollars of equal value from the Mint at the max. And I personally would not pay more than $10 premium for a roll of 2000s. While uncirculated coins are nice, 2000 sacagawea dollars are abundant.

62. David O says

I’m currently sitting on 181 of these Army halves! I agree there is currently a glut of them on the market that’s keeping the prices in the $50s range for raw coins. I’d be very curious to compare a NGC MS69 to a PCGS MS69. The 9:00 o’clock area on these is VERY scuffy.

63. simon says

CO – thanks much for the feedback. I thought there might be a premium for a mint packaged roll but apparently not so. Thanks much.

64. Fosnock says

Simon; Their is a premium for mint packaged rolls, but that amount depends on the roll….buy the coin not the packaging

65. ultra-crepidarian says

A 2011 D ARMY HALF DOLLAR PCGS MS 69 FIRST STRIKE (Item number: 190628482924) sold on E-bay today (January 25th) for $181.50. I am sorry but I think that price is just crazy.

66. DNA says

With all of this hype over the 2011-D Army Unc. Half-Dollar, people seem to be ignoring the 2011-S Army Unc. Silver Dollar. 43,517 of those minted (only 3,876 more than the 2011-D Unc. Half), 90% silver, higher-grade finish vs. the Half, and I just picked up one (in OGP) for $5 under the Mint issue price.