Star Spangled Banner Opening Sales Figures

The opening sales figures are available for the 2012 Star Spangled Banner Commemorative Coins. Sales began one week ago on March 5, 2012, with individual proof coins, individual uncirculated coins, and a two coin proof set available.

As of March 12, 2012, orders have reached 3,103 individual proof gold coins, 2,355 uncirculated gold coins, 44,479 individual proof silver dollars, 18,763 uncirculated silver dollars, and 6,164 of the two coin proof sets.

Cumulatively by denomination, this makes for 69,406 silver dollars, accounting for 13.28% of the 500,000 maximum mintage, and 11,622 of the $5 gold coins, accounting for 11.62% of the 100,000 maximum mintage.

This week’s full sales report can be found on Coin Update.

Comparing the numbers for the Star Spangled Banner coins to the opening figures for the two 2011 commemorative coin programs and the 2012 Infantry Soldier program, shows the SSB coins performing the best. Shown below are the opening sales figures for each program with the final sales figures for the 2011 programs also included.

Silver Dollar Debut Sales and Final Sales
2011 MOH Proof 4,699 18,012
2011 MOH Uncirculated 1,890 8,251
Total 6,589 26,263
2012 SSB Proof 9,267
2012 SSB Uncirculated 2,355
Total 11,622

It should be noted that some of the difference can be explained by the duration of the opening sales period. The Army coins went on sale January 31 with the first report calculating sales through February 6. The dates for the Medal of Honor Coins were February 25 to February 27. The Infantry Soldier Silver Dollars covered from February 16 to February 20.

Sales of the uncirculated version of the 2012 Star Spangled Banner $5 Gold Coin came in at 2,355, which was lower than the start for the most closely comparable uncirculated 2011 Army $5 Gold Coins. This will be something worth watching in the coming weeks. If sales of the uncirculated SSB $5 Gold Coin continue to be low, this could set up for a lower final mintage than seen for the 2011 uncirculated $5 gold coins, which have been commanding a premium.

Comments

I continued to be surprised at how well the Infantry Coin is performing. A sellout of the DoF set is all but guaranteed now. I wonder if we could see all 350K infantry coins sell out in a few months. I keep expecting the sales pace to slacken, and so far it hasn’t.

It’ll be interesting to see whether the infantry coin can keep its momentum going in the face of competition from the Star Spangled Banner coin. I think the gold coins might continue to post good numbers this week until Wednesday as people try to “time” the market.

2. Paul says

In my case I bought several because I was an infantry officer. I expect that many Army Infantry are purchasing for that reason. The publicity tie to the Infantry Museum probably has stirrred up interest. the gifting of coins to an Infantry company would make many of them salesmen for the mint. I don’t know of any similar action for other coins.

3. Rolling Thunder says

With the latest sales numbers for the DoF Infantry Coin Set, I decided to place an order today – agree with Capt Overkill & see a sell out coming here, well before listed delivery date in June.

Advise if you want this set at US Mint price not to wait too long to order, you can always cancel order if you change your mind before US Mint ships.

Will be interesting to watch sales for SSB and Infantry coins the next few weeks.

4. HarryB says

As to the Infantry Coin , Paul makes a great observation, this issue is very popular with those Infantry Vertans I interact with, and may very well sell out. I have ordered the SSB coins as well, as I don’t think gold will be this low much longer. Michael: Thanks for all you do for those of us who collect US Mint Commemoratives. Any word on the 2012 Spouse Gold issue dates? Harry.

5. posterhunter says

Thanks for getting the sales report up so fast! I wonder if the Julia Grant Proof is sold out?

I thought the Eliza Johnson uncirculated gold FS coin would have a lower mintage than the Julia Tyler coin, but I’m not so sure now. Even if it does, the Julia Grant uncirculated gold FS coin appears to be on track to have a lower mintage than the Julia Tyler coin. But then again, who knows what kind of sales bump might arise within the 12 month period of Julia Grant’s release? Time will tell….

7. Shutter says

I get Paul’s point about ex-infantry people being excited about the Infantry coin, but wouldn’t the same apply to last year’s Army coins. Presumably there are more ex-army people than ex-infantry, and the former includes the latter. So far Infantry has sold almost as many coins in less than a month than Army silver dollars in 10. Obviously having lower max mintage played a role and having 1 coin vs 3 helped, but still.

@Shutter – I agree. Sales prices are not higher only because buyers were in the military/infantry. There are likely several reasons, to include fewer products for sale (most notably, fewer 5 ounce ATBs to buy), a better economy, etc. Michael listed a variety of reasons in one of his blogs….

9. Eric the Red says

I just received my 2012 Star Spangled Banner Commemorative Proof and Uncirculated. The proof is a very nice coin. As others have stated I was also less impressed with the Infantry Proof and Uncirculated I purchased. I really disliked the design of the soldier running for the chow line. When I was at Fort Benning in jump school in the1980’s there was a Infantry logo I remember with a trooper with an M1 Garand in one hand with his other hand held high in the classic “follow me” silhouette which would have been a much better design.

10. Alan says

The Army Infantry museum which benefits from the Infantry coin surcharge is offering the coin for sale to visitors at its location. Sales will remain strong as more people learn about the coin and buy them as “keepers”. My guess is that the secondary market for the Infantry coin will be smaller than that of most issues.

11. Two Cents says

The design on the Infantry silver $1 is based on the “Follow Me!” statue at Fort Benning (and at the Infantry Museum). The Mint designer updated the image to a more modern uniform and gear, and lowered the arm, I believe, to fit it on the coin. The Mint worked with the Infantry Museum and apparently got the “thumb’s up” from them on the variations of the theme. But outside of the infantrymen, I don’t think coin collectors or the general public will recognize the iconic image.

The public relations for the Infantry coin have been well done. As Paul said, there has been wide publicity about the coin. I remember that before the coin was released, there was great fanfare at the Doughboy Stadium near Ft. Benning, where the Infantry coin was parachuted into the stadium, and after a presentation ceremony involving veterans from WWII, Korea, Vietnam and Iraq, the coin was used in the game toss. The Mint and the Infantry Museum also had a tent at the stadium and gave out flyers advertising the upcoming coin release and how to order it from the Mint.

At the recent graduation ceremony at Ft. Benning, the new infantrymen were each given a silver dollar, and you can imagine the buzz that created. Everyone at the ceremony was told that additional coins could be purchased at the nearby Infantry Museum. I can see why the Defenders of Freedom Set is on its way to a sellout.

I don’t recall what the Mint or the Army did to publicize the Army commemorative, but it seems that they went all out for the Infantry coin.

Two Cents,

I remember hearing that story. A picture of the “Iron Mike” statue in question: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4a/Iron_mike.fort_benning.jpg

Alan,

That would be my first expectation, but sales of the coin are so rapid that if there is a quick sellout, you might see a boost in premiums on the secondary market. Likewise the DoF definitely has some potential. The coins were only released on Feb 16 and it is already nearing a sellout.

13. Paul says

Regarding Two Cents comment on publicity for Infantry Coin versus lack of Publicity for Army Coin. It is part of Army culture and mystique, There is no center for the Army it has many posts and headquarters, Army HQ is morphed into the Pentagon. I belong to the Army but the schools and training for Infantry are at Fort Benning the Infantry Center (Now with Armor School added it will be the Manuever Center). Army Soldiers belong to the Army but belong more proudly to their branch of the Army (Infantry, Armor, Artillery, Quartermaster) and prouder still of sub-groups of those branches (Mech Infantry, Light Infantry, Airborne Infantry) and to units. (2-22nd Infantry, Old Guard, 82nd Airborne and others). The Infantry Museum is at the Home of the Infantry, where all Infantry men are trained and hence it belongs to the Infantry and the coin will belong to the Infantry. So someone at Fort Benning was told to make it a big deal. Army units have had unit coins for many years and Infantry Soldiers will want their branch’s coin. So the Infantry coin has a sponsor, the Army coin and MOH did not have sponsors. A commemorative coin to be popular needs sponsors.

What worries me about the DOF set is the 100 per household limit. There could be some individuals and dealers placing orders for the full 100, knowing that their credit cards won’t be charged for quite a while yet. If high enough premiums for the set don’t develop after the “sellout”, quite a few orders for large numbers of sets could be cancelled, effectively “freeing up” thousands of sets once again.

Unless you have a store front to sell from, premiums of at least $25 over issue price would be necessary to make selling them somewhat worthwhile on the world’s largest online selling venue. I don’t know if we’ll see it or not. Time will tell.

15. stephen m. says

It may be that the Infantry coin fits well with the minds of infantry soilders. For sure it isn’t a bad looking coin, in my opinion. I thank them all for their service to protect us and our rights.

16. Fosnock says

Paul:
    Thanks for the good info. That would explain why the Marine Corp commemorative did so much better than than the Army commemorative.

Is their any word when the SSB Silver proof in the special packaging will be made available?

17. Paul says

USMC is a smaller organization but with fewer “centers” than the Army. USMC knows how to sell their “mystique”. Army dining facility planning rule for feeding Marines is count two meals per Marine as they will each be accompanied by reporter and or photographer.

18. Shutter says

Really? Pride of belonging to Quartermaster Corps? Should we expect a silver dollar commemorating them? This isn’t to discount importance of what they do, but really?

Anyone know if a price increase is imminent tomorrow on the US Mint’s gold products? We’ve been dangling on the edge of $1700 for a little bit now and the group of people I buy coins with is arguing about whether to buy SSB today or wait.

20. Michael says

By my calculation, there will be no increase for gold products unless Wednesday AM Fix is $1,734 or greater. So most likely, prices remain unchanged.

I read an article about how gold prices follow the path of China’s economy. If China’s economy is booming, then up go gold values. However, if the economy stalls or falls (like its balance of imports did), then gold values fall.

If the above is true, then the fall in gold values is just temporary — as China’s economy, in the long term, is predicted to expand.

22. Dolores says

I received the silver proof SSBs today. Very nice coins – eight of them did not have COAs included, five of the sleeves were damaged. Coins were fine, but quality control a bit sloppy. I called the Mint, the lady said it would take 4 to 5 weeks to get the COAs and sleeves.

23. Tom says

Comment and Question
    I think the Marine Corps ms was and Is a phenomenal coin.
    yet the mint site says that only 49,671ms were minted.
    Out of that number, How many were in the Coin and Stamp set?
    (They still are occasionally offered on Ebay
    (even unopened) and usually for around $45).

24. VABEACHBUM says

Following up on Dolores’ comment, I also continue to struggle w/ the Mint’s quality control problems.

In a previous thread, I had posted that I ordered my PF and UNC Infantry Coins on Day 1, receiving them approximately 10 days later. The PF coin had very bad hazing within the fields of boths sides, as well as severe collar strain markings along the circumference and adjacent to the rim. Returned the PF coin that afternoon.

The replacement coin arrived yesterday. No exaggeration – WORSE THAN THE FIRST. It’s going back today.

Has anyone else seen these quality issues on the Infantry PF Coin?? I don’t grade my modern commemoratives, so don’t think I’m hung up on getting that “PF 70″ issue. The OGP, COA and a clean coin w/ good eye appeal are all that I expect. I’m currently 0 for 2 with the PF Infantry S$1 Coin.

VABB,

I’ve noticed it too. My uncirculated infantry coin has a sort of pale haze over it that dims the coin’s luster. My SSB silver uncirculated that came yesterday has a similar problem. You can really see the difference in comparison to the uncirculated 2011-W silver eagles and the uncirculated silver eagles from the A25. I’m sure you’re aware of the army half dollar’s problem last year too.

Additionally, my SSB uncirculated packaging came with a loose ribbon too.

I’m starting to wonder if they haven’t had some staff cuts. It seems like they started falling apart in terms of QC late last year/early this year. Then there’s the product schedule problem as well.

By the way, what is “collar strain?” I do not believe I have ever heard that term before.

26. Art says

Big QC problems for me started in fall, 2010. My Infantry/SSB shipment is on its way. If there are problems, this could be the end for me with the Mint. The Mint may not ever get their act together unless we all boycott.

27. VABEACHBUM says

Capt’n – Thanks for the confirmation. WRT the 2011 UNC Army Half; yeah, I went through 3 returns until I received a satisfactory coin. Still thought they could have been better.

“Collar Strain” is the term that I am using to describe the appearance of either an intermittent or consistant “arc” pattern on the coin’s face(s) and 3-4 mm interior of the rim. It is nearly identical to some of the patterns that we previously had discovered near the lettering on the ATB 5 oz bullion coins. Given my engineering background, this trait might be better described as a metal fatigue resulting from either increased striking pressures or blank quality issues.

Thoughts from others on the proper terminology and prospective causes of this trait would be greatly appreciated.

28. VABEACHBUM says

Capt’n – BTW, received my notification from Perth that my H.R. Dragon shipped today. Anxious to see it!!

Thanks for the explanation of collar strain. I have an idea of how the basic coin manufacturing process works, but I would love to know how some of these weird manufacturing issues crop up from time to time. I could understand coins having nicks or dings or what have you from mishandling, but I’ve never really understood the occasional chemical blotching, hazing, and this collar strain issue you brought up.

And it’s funny you should mention that, VABB, I got notice of shipping too. I was pretty nervous after the weird instance of my card charged three times. Seems like everything was okay after I cleared it up with them via their customer service.

I received my HR Dragon from Perth today and it’s quite impressive. It’s very, very thick…43% thicker than a 5 oz ATB (6.00mm vs 4.19mm)
    I just wish Downies hadn’t cancelled my other order.

31. KEITHSTER says

One mans return is another’s treasure coin. I remember my first ATB P 5OZ hot springs got it opened the box got out magnifier and there it was.I told mom on no i will have to send it back there’s something wrong with it Her answer I thought you said you wanted something to be wrong with it. Ya just kidding mom. What it was was a hole in George’s lip fist thought was die clash flipped it over kind of wavy around the lettering HOT SPRINGS. Yikes what to call it no wait maybe just a bad planchet naw too perfect a hole right on his lip.Buggs Bunny nope taken George’s ivory tooth nope on not under the lip ahh cold sore George. Got to tell every one no wait got to try to get another one. Sorry one per household silly me waited till the exact minute to order the second ATB P 5 OZ. Didn’t work shucks that one came back perfect.On to the third ATB P 5 OZ YES there it was GEORGE WITH COLD SORE. Ahh Die Varitey send your’s back did ya any one have #2 with what you’ll call the LIP NIC.I TRADE YOU for a perfect one. I belive they are the first true Die Varitey in the ATB 5OZer’s. Remember the Grand Canyons a little hush and we might have the last 800 or so Light Finnish’s. So send them back if you must but please keep it low key on our new key’s

1. I have received all 5 of the SSB offerings from the Mint.
    2. I have noticed that The Coin Vault web site is not available nor are they streaming a live program. I wonder if they have gone out of business.