2012 Presidential Dollars Proof Set

The US Mint will release the 2012 Presidential $1 Coin Proof Set today April 24, 2012 at 12:00 Noon ET.

Each set will include proof versions of the 2012 Presidential Dollars featuring Chester A. Arthur, Grover Cleveland (first term), Benjamin Harrison, and Grover Cleveland (second term). All coins are struck in proof format at the San Francisco Mint and carry the “S” mint mark.

The price for each set will be $18.95. This represents a decrease of $1 from the price charge for last year’s set.

The Mint has offered four coin Presidential Dollar Proof Sets for each year since the start of the series in 2007. For the debut year, final sales were an astounding 1,285,972 sets. The interest level in the product has dropped considerably, with the 2011 set currently at sales of 287,860.

As another aside, the US Mint will have now released proof versions of each of this year’s “circulating coins”, except for the 2012 Native American Dollar. The five quarters were released within the 2012 America the Beautiful Quarters Proof Set. The proof cent, nickel, dime, and half dollar were released in the 2012 Birth Set. The four 2012 Presidential Dollars are released in the current product.

Last year, the US Mint had released the full annual Proof Set prior to all of the various component versions of the set. This year, they reverted to the typical pattern of releasing the component versions before the full set.

Other News

Yesterday, several readers noticed that the US Mint has added the “2012 American Eagle San Francisco Two-Coin Silver Proof Set” to the product schedule with a release date of June 7, 2012. This product seems to be what has been referred to as the 75th Anniversary San Francisco Set.

The Mint still has not officially announced the product pricing, mintage limit, and household limits. They have confirmed basic details of the set, which will include a 2012-S Proof Silver Eagle and 2012-S Reverse Proof Silver Eagle. These coins represent special versions of the American Silver Eagle, potentially unique to the set.

Tomorrow, it is possible that prices for the US Mint’s numismatic gold products could be decreased. For several weeks running, a price adjustment has been narrowly missed as the market price of gold has fluctuated just above or below the $1,650 mark.

Based on the available London Fix prices for the relevant period, the average price of gold should fall into the $1,600 to $1,649.99 range. The final deciding factor will be the Wednesday PM London Fix price of gold. If this is below $1,650, then a price decrease will take place, but if it is $1,650 or above, prices will remain unchanged.

Comments

The San Francisco Silver Eagle set is going to be released on my 40th birthday, unless the date changes. My job doesn’t give you the day off on your birthday, so I hope I don’t have to call in sick. That always looks fishy on your birthday! I might have to schedule a vacation day or something.

I’m betting the price of the set will be $129.95. I hope the limit is at or below 250,000 sets. That’s enough to go around nicely, but not too many to rob the set of some nice appreciation in value.

2. VABEACHBUM says

@ Blackbeard – I received my 3 subscription ASE PR coins in the mail last week. All 3 are in outstanding condition. Interesting side-bar though; the Mint is still using the previous style, Navy Blue packaging with embossed (older) logo, while the product ID tag is a sticker placed over the existing.

@ Brad – Schedule that “doctor’s appt” now, my friend. And you know they’re monitoring your web activities, too!! Like you and some others, I’m thinking 200K – 250K @ $135 per set that includes a little extra in the packaging. Can not wait.

Michael,

Thanks for explaining about the Wednesday p.m. fix rule. I honestly didn’t know about it and thought it was averages only.

Brad,

June 7 is my birthday as well, pretty funny! I will probably take that day off too.

I agree with you on pricing. $120 is the floor because regular proofs are about $60, and anything over $150 seems too aggressive. I think it’ll settle between $130-$140.

blackbeard,

My seven-person buying group received our coins yesterday and today. All of them seemed problem free at a quick glance. I thought the blue packaging was a little odd though – I thought that was going to be retired.

My Canadian silver proof set came today as well, along with the $20 polar bear coin and a BU roll of Canadian pennies. I am really glad I got the proof set, the coins look fantastic. If only it hadn’t cost so much!

CO: Glad you like the Canadian set. Isn’t the quality and presentation great! Plus think of the money you saved on the other items. Oh Canada!…….as the Canadian national anthem goes.

5. rick says

During a call to the mint earlier today the CSR read to me the latest info on the SF 2 Coin Proof and Reverse Proof set. They will only be for sale from June 6 through July 5 and there will be no limit on purchases or mintage. They will not ship until late July on a first ordered first shipped basis. There will also be a counter on the sale page to show how many have been ordered.

Thanks, Rick. If that is true, I will just get one for my collection. It will probably not have much secondary market value with no limits. They should have done something in between the extremes of the 25th set and this. One per household with a 200-250K limit would have been better.

What do others think?

I don’t like the idea of no mintage limit. The regular proof sold almost 300,000 in the first 5 days…this set would probably do the same. A limit of 250,000 with a household limit of one or two wold be better.

8. auxmike says

@rick
    ” and there will be no limit on purchases or mintage.” Really?
    “There will also be a counter on the sale page to show how many have been ordered.”
    When you called CS at the mint, did Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny answer?

9. Jon in CT says

rick wrote on April 24, 2012 at 7:02 pm;

This is, basically. Mint-to-Order, for which I’ve been a strong advocate. A limited ordering window is the key and prevents the slamming we’ve seen on previous US limited edition silver coins.

10. vaughnster says

I wouldn’t believe anything a Mint CSR ever says. Most everyone on this blog has more information than they do.

I really doubt the rep would make up info. that is that specific. This is probably what it will be.

12. MarkInFlorida says

That unlimited mintage for a limited window sounds like a great idea for everyone except those evil flippers ;-)

The downward trend in the price of gold per ounce clearly is having an impact on the demand for gold coins. I am finding that I can buy gold and silver coins at slightly lower prices than a year ago.

As a collector, I am hoping for even lower prices in the months ahead….!

Hidalgo,

Me too! And we’ve only got a little bit of time left until the London pm fix as well, so I think we’re finally going to get that well-deserved price cut. Looks like I will probably finally buy an SSB uncirculated coin this week.

If it turns out to be true that the mintage of the special San Francisco set is unlimited, the Mint will sell a million of them. That wouldn’t be good for that set’s prospects for certain, but it could turn out to be highly favorable for the 2006-P and 2011-P Reverse Proof coins. If a lot of the owners of the 2012-S Reverse Proofs decide they want to own the other two as well, there aren’t nearly as many of those to go around.

I still find it incredibly hard to believe that the Mint would leave it completely open-ended like that. There needs to be a safety net in place to protect them from “overwhelming demand”. Don’t they still need to be somewhat careful about having enough silver blanks available to fulfill public demand for the plain bullion coins? I know the change in the law gives them more flexibility when it comes to producing collector coins, but it wasn’t intended to give them the right to be reckless!

16. DCDave says

Not sure why anyone thinks mintage will be unllimited as there is no reliable source. SSB proof actually likes nice, but not as nice as the silver poofs. SSB unc may have low mintage, but doubt it will ever “pop” since it is blah looking, and the low mintage (under 10k total) reverse proof gold ’06 (I think) never really “popped” and it is an awesome coin to look at. I think the ’11 FS UNCs will have way lower mintages than the SSB UNC anyhow.

17. guama says

If that’s true, then there will not be a rush to order. Win..Win for the mint. They won’t be bashed for their internet system and they’ll make a ton of money on the back end. I’m still going to order in on day 1 (along with a zillion others).

Even if mintage for the SF set is unlimited, there would still be the early mad rush at noon on day one from the “First Strike” or “Early Release” aficionados who want to get their orders in the queue as early as possible. That, and the “big boys” with nearly unlimited financial resources will be in there placing huge orders as well. They know that they will be able to sell a ton of sets on late-night TV, even with a large mintage. They’ll be buying a lot for sure.

Check the Mint’s web site guys! 4 week window is official, which already suggests an unlimited mintage, and I am sure the other details posted here yesterday will be confirmed next. I am in for one, and I an NOT ordering the first day!!

20. Drew says

Not a fan of the unlimited mintage if that becomes the case. I kind of enjoy the challenge of ordering off the mints website when an anticipated coin comes along.