“S” Mint Quarters Will Be Produced to Demand

Earlier this week, I had written a post relaying the news that the San Francisco Mint had struck circulating quality 2012 America the Beautiful Quarters bearing the “S” mint mark. There have been some changes to previously reported information and confirmation of exactly how the coins will be offered.

An initial report in Coin World had cited Tom Jurkowsky, director of the United States Mint Office of Public Affairs as indicating a total mintage of 7 million coins for “a maximum of 1.4 million each” for the 2012 quarter designs. I was a bit skeptical of this number, as it seemed much too low if the coins were to be offered in bag and roll quantities.

The United States Mint has now clarified that the the 7 million total coins is intended as the “initial mintage scheduled to be manufactured.” They are planning “to mint to demand for the product.”

This certainly changes the nature of the offering. The mintage of the circulating quality 2012-S America the Beautiful Quarters will still almost definitely be lower than the “P” and “D” mint marked versions, but the total mintage will remain opened ended for the unspecified duration of the offering.

A press release has been issued for the first release of the 2012-S El Yunque Quarters on June 21, 2012. The coins will be offered in 100-coin bags priced at $34.95 and 40-coin rolls priced at $18.95.

A mintage of 1.4 million per coin might have worked if the US Mint had offered the coins in a different format. For example, five coin sets of the “S” mint marked quarters could have been sold, or the five “S” quarters could have been added to the 2012 America the Beautiful Quarters Circulating Coin Set.

After complaints abounded for setting the maximum mintage of the 25th Anniversary Silver Eagle Set too low, the Mint now seems to be taking a very cautious approach with products that would have had the potential for a quick sell out. While this evens the playing field for all collectors, it does have an impact on the eventual secondary market prices of offerings.

What do readers think?

Comments

1. simon says

I was planning to get just singles since I collect. Even at 1.4E6 the quantity is too high to garner much attention or value in coming years. This is really where the most benefit is reaped by flippers (claiming mintage rarity) and the TPGs (claiming rarity based on small populations / numbers of graded units), and float hype for the rest of us to consume. I’m happy that the mint will strike to demand so that collectors can acquire samples, and the general public can get the rest for everyday commerce.

2. bob says

Circulating coinage for commerce should be made to demand… numismatic coins should not be – because by definition they are supposed to be collectible, and nothing is more important to collectibility than RARITY!

During the 1990s the Mint publically stated they would reduce gold/silver eagle mintages so that the coins would command stronger secondary market premiums – which is the proper attitude towards coins that should be collectible… recently they seem to have forgotten this!

Time limits are cute, but low mintage limits are best with or without additional short time limts to order coins that are supposed to be collectible. But, why would they do that?? it makes too much sense… so mint everything to “12 months or more of demand”… what a winning formula for: NO ONE (not even the mint)

3. Zaz says

If the Arthur dollars are minted to demand, so should the S quarters. Rarity for the high value coins with precious metal content makes sense, as few people can afford these expensive products, but not for the NCLT clad products, which should be available to EVERYONE, collectible or not.

4. rob n. says

Seems as usual the mint’s tactics will continue to sway based on their need to produce profit while attempting to control the secondary market. They obviously must realize the “occasional” rarity produces interest in all products giving them the ability to over produce most offererings.

I agree with Bob. I think a set mintage release would be much more interesting. It’s nice to have a coin/set that everyone else doesn’t have…but can if they want to pay secondary market prices.

I think all of you that were lucky enough to purchase the 2008-W Gold Buffalo would agree.

While I don’t always feel this way, there are coins that I want to add to my collection that are available in unlimited mintages…the Proof 2012 Native American dollar….I love that coin and would like to see everyone have it that wants it.

But in general, numismatic coins should have limited mintages..imho.

Go to the World Mint News Blog…most coins have very, very limited mintages. 5000, sometimes less, but no one really complains.

I’d love to see a US Proof set is all silver (like Canada did) with a reasonable mintage of around 250,000 sets.

Minting special sets like the upcoming 2 coin SF silver eagle set to demand…well, “that dog don’t hunt”….but I will probably buy 10 sets to have graded as the reverse proof will be special.

6. george glazener says

I’m glad they’ll be a little bit more “available”. I was expecting another frustrating day like with the 25th anniv. ASE set. They don’t have to make tens upon tens of millions like the P&D, but neither do they need to make them so scarce that they sell out to the fastest internet connections in 2 hours flat. I do hope they put a time limit on them though, like w/ the 2-coin ASE set, so they don’t run the presses non-stop for 11 months.

7. vaughnster says

The news of “mint to demand” has definitely changed my mind on the quarters and I may only purchase 1 roll of each. I was hoping for a limited mintage. The Mint prices these CLAD quarters at nearly a 100% markup and they will never be worth that amount with the mint to demand stipulation. It would be nice to have a limited mintage to at least have a chance to get a small return on investment.

8. Two Cents says

I say, sell rolls and bags of the S-mintmarked ATB quarters on the Mint’s website, but also release several hundred thousands into circulation for the general public to find.

With each new quarter, make a fanfare announcement in all the newspapers, magazines and news-shows about the new quarters, the significance of the designs, and of course the limited mintage.

I bet people, including noncollectors, will check their change, and they will discover that there are a lot of different coins out there. Some may even become collectors.

9. Shutter says

If you’re talking about the likes of Perth Mint,
    1. US population outnumbers Australia by about 13:1. For Western Australia (the state that actually owns and runs Perth Mint) it’s about 130:1. Taking that into account, that 5,000 mintage would be comparable to 65,000 or 650,000 for US Mint.
    2. All Perth Mint does is commemoratives and bullion. They produce no circulation coinage. They do produce lots and lots and lots of commemoratives. Very few people could afford to buy every single one, even if we ignore all those kilo coins. This year, US Mint is producing 3 commemorative coins in 2 finishes. Total cost about $1,200. Even if you throw in 5 ATBs, 10 1st Ladies, and proof sets, you’re still hovering just north of $20K. Not chicken scratch, but affordable to many. One year’s worth of all the coins in the Discover Australia series alone is about $19K.
    3. Even with mintages as low as 1,000, you can still buy coins from 2009. Some of the Lunar coins from 2008 still haven’t sold out.
    4. Perth Mint isn’t micromanaged by 535 strong cohort of boobs we know as Congress. Perth Mint has a lot of flexibility in creating new products and in how it sells them.

10. Falcon says

I am glad there would’nt be a mad rush to get these coins. I hate having to keep hitting the refresh key to make sure I get something on the mint site. They should only mint on demand for a week and those people who don’t get them then can go somewhere else. That would make sure the true collector can get what they want and the mint not procuce too many.

Shutter,
    Yes, the US market is obviously different from the Australian market, and an American coin with a 5K mintage is not comparable to an Australian (or substitute pretty much any country) because we have by far the largest numismatic market in the world. But don’t forget that Perth’s coins are collected all over the world, and in fact most are exported to the US and elsewhere. So if you want to throw a bunch of numbers around, you could start with the globe’s population. I’m just saying.

12. ClevelandRocks says

Perth Mint has old lady Queen on ALL coins….no thanks.
    US coins the most desirable by far.

I like the idea of minting to demand for a limited time period.

The unlimited time for the 2011 Buffalo and the 5 oz 2011 ATBs and some other products are infuriating.

13. Natatack says

If it’s made to demand I don’t see why they can’t produce a 5 coin set, like they do with the unc mint sets. Using the face value of the coins as a guide as compared to the mint set it would bring the price in at $2.52 a set. I’m sure if they do a nice packaging like in the 2009 proof Lincoln penny’s they could charge more. Would be funny if they did that and PCGS/NGC offered a special labels for coins graded from the set. :)

14. Natatack says

With all the hype of the 75 year anniversary of the SF mint, they seem to have overlooked the 75 year anniversary of the Golden Gate Bridge another iconic landmark of the city. Probobly too late in the year to bring out a special commemorative. Maybe a special reverse on the quarter to make it a 6 coin set for this year? China put the GGB on the reverse of a gold medal for the San Francisco coin show back in 1987 when it was the 50th anniversary. I think it would be fitting to have a 75 year anniversary coin with the GGB on the reverse with an S mint mark.

15. Larry says

IMHO, this changes everything. Now these coins will be no different than S mint circulating coins of the 70′s and 80′s. None of those are in any great demand. I don’t by any clad garbage, but this almost changed my mind. Almost because even at 1.4 million, these would not have been rare coins. Now I don’t see any reason to buy them. I would rather spend my hard earned money on the ATB quarter silver proof sets. I would rather look at real silver proof S mint coins than clad any day.

16. RSF says

The five “S” quarters should have been added to the 2012 Mint Set as well as the America the Beautiful Quarters Circulating Coin Set. They definitely should be marketed in a lens as a set to be an addendum to the Mint Set. The annual Mint Set will not be complete without them.

They should be offered for a small additional fee to those of us who have already purchased our Mint Sets.

17. Shutter says

And yet, after 3 years, they still haven’t sold out some coins such as 2009 1/10oz Platinum Kangaroo with a maximum mintage of 2,500.

So, on one hand you’re saying that 1,400,000 base metal coins from US Mint would have been rare, while on the other 2,500 platinum coins is more than the global market can bear. Sounds to me like the market for Perth coins isn’t quiet that global. I’m just saying.

18. Richard W says

For those of us that have been collecting for ages the mint to demand plan is dissapointing,for the novice just possibly it could be an opposite twist.If the mint put a little wisdom into the plan they could have lets say put a double edge on the sword and built a set of the 25cent coin of silver to include all of the 2012 pieces inclusive of the SF coin,with a mintage limit of possibly 200,000.I don’t know!!!!! If anyone before me wrote these lines before me i apologize.

19. Tom Dvorak says

I think minting to demand is fine, but really the Mint was on to something with the Silver AE 75th Anniv. set — what would make sense is putting a time limit on orders, and then mint to demand what was ordered during that time period. This also allows for some level of planning at the mint . . . so I don’t know why they wouldn’t do that. For a circulation quality quarter as is planned, it seems to me that the mint could allow for a longer ordering window.

I also think the mint is missing an opportunity by not creating single-coin sets of the 5 “S” mint quarters. Not everyone collects rolls (I don’t) and this seems to be the only way to get these quarters at present.

Tom

20. Zaz says

Doubtless there will be some special sets packaged for sale after the release of the Denali S-quarter in bag and roll format. It’s possible that the circulating quality quarter set has just increased to 15 coins total, as well as some other marketing efforts later in the year.

It is NOT part of the mint set because Mint set coins have different handling procedures, are stuck with more tonnage for sharper strikes on slower speed coin presses. The S-quarters are made as if for circulation. This will either be a one-off single year curiosity that won’t be repeated next year, unless the San Francisco mint goes full on into circulating coin production next year.

I agree with Tom. Some kind of window should be used. It does not have to be all or nothing.
    And Shutter, I never claimed 1.4 million quarters would be rare, though for a circulation quarter, it would certainly be low mintage. I don’t think one or two isolated cases are enough to draw broad conclusions. The market for Perth coins as a whole is definitely global in the sense that people all over the world collect them, but way more people collect US coins. That’s why the 100K anniversary set does better than a Perth coin with a much lower mintage. The fact that some low mintage Perth coin has not sold out does not make the case that the Perth market is not global. It’s more likely because they issue so many coins, and that one just was not that popular.

22. Shutter says

I never claimed 1.4 million quarters would be rare
    You’re right. You didn’t. I ms-read a comment by someone else.

And I didn’t claim that Perth coin market isn’t global. It’s just very small. Discover Australia Dreaming Silver coins have a mintage of 10,000. That’s a total of 50,000 coins sold individually or in a nicely packaged set. After 3 years, it hasn’t sold out. This year the US Mint sold nearly that many Defender of Freedom sets in 4 months. That’s a coin with a total max of 350,000 whose design has been panned by many here. Oh, and you also get a cardboard card with imitation dog tag. Vs 5 coins with very interesting design in a very nice packaging, And if you buy all 3 year, they’ll throw in a display case.

Look, I wouldn’t mind more realistic mintages. There is no way SSB Silver will sell 500,000 coins. I just don’t want anyone in position to make that decision, to think that a mintage limit of 5,000 is reasonable.

23. stephen m. says

To Steve @7:59, I think that minting to demand would be ok if the flippers and tv people weren’t buying to profit. Minting to demand will ensure collector that desires a coin will get one. This is great except too many will be minted to satisfy the profit buyers who will run the mintage numbers up high. I will continue the collection of siver eagle proofs as long as i can but see that there may be a smaller number of collectors, myself included, if the ASE proof is minted in high numbers.(more than 650,000 or so) No offense to the flippers or tv people.

24. jag-nut says

Time to bring back the legacy set. It would be nice to have a complete set of the coins issued for the current year including Commemoratives & Silver Eagles… With the appropriate packaging..

25. auxmike says

If you just wanted one “S” clad quarter for a specimen, Ebay should have PLENTY…..

26. rpw says

Frankly I think the US Mint needs to limit the coins sold for collectables.
    Thats the whole reason for collecting is because they are “limited”.
    I don’t think any coin sold as a collectable should exceed 100,000.

If they want these coins to be “collected” as the Video from the mint seemed to indicate – then limited the minting. PERIOD.

Otherwise they may as well just put them into general circulation. If they are a “dime a dozen” why would anyone bother to “collect” them?

This whole notion people have that EVERYONE should get one – is ridiculous.

Yes – we should all have the same opportunity to acquire one. That doesn’t mean we will all be successful. If somehow the Mint was selectively accepting orders from certain area codes/phone numbers or IP addresses, then that is unfair. I don’t believe anything like that happens. It’s a luck of the draw.

Limit the mintage or limit the number of days the product will be sold (effectively it’s the same result- your limiting the product thus making it more collectable). I’m really curious to see how “Minting to demand” works out.
    I think initially sales will be high, then taper off because high demand = more product = less collect ability. At the same time – if demand is initially slow – it may indicate higher potential collect ability which in turn causes more demand. In the end – I think it’s a bad idea and will hurt sales. IF sales are high – of course – what would be the point in collecting the “S” coins?
    Think I’ll just stick to LOW mintage coins and hope I can get them!!!!!!

27. fosnock says

Well if they handle it like they did the 2009 territorial quarters and stopped selling them once the new coin series was minted this might work. As for me I’m getting them regardless

Regardless of how many S quarters are minted, I plan to get at least one for each of the 2012 ATBs — to complete my collection.

29. Mercury says

I don’t know about you guys, but as regards coin collecting, what turns my crank and gets me excited about it… is the Hunt. Call me old fashion, but I have to say that this new mind set of coin collecting is boooring! Come on you guys, what you’re telling me by condoning no limit minting on numismatic coins is that you would rather go to the store and buy the model airplane or the 1000 piece puzzle already completed instead of sitting down and taking the time to do the work yourself. What you are here encouraging is not coin collecting but rather coin hoarding. We think (?) by having the Mint remove mintage limits, that we are sticking it to the flipper, but what were really doing by acquiescing to this policy is sticking it to the coin collectors. And I’m sorry to say that by definition going to the local grocery store to buy coins is not coin collecting. If you think that you should have the right to a complete set, then my friend, you are in the wrong business. Coin mintages were never in the business of making coins so that everyone could own one. That’s why we collect them, because they are rare. I hear people use the expression the US Mint is creating an “even playing field”. Well what about individuals out there who would like to buy a 100-coin bag or a 40-coin roll but can’t afford to, what is the Mint doing for them? So the same should go to those who cannot afford to pay the price of Real Coin collecting…they do without. Coin collecting is not a charity, but a hobby. Please, Hands off. And leave our hobby alone.

@Mercury – the joy of coin collecting (repeat, collecting) is the hunt. However, not everyone who visits this blog is a coin collector. If you read the posts carefully, you’ll see that coin dealers/marketers come here, as well as individual coin speculators and flippers. The latter groups are not into obtaining coins for the hunt, but rather, to speculate and to earn profits.

31. Mercury says

Hidalgo says: May 27, 2012 at 1:35 pm. Bottom line: your reason for obtaining a particular coin is likely very different compared to others (i.e., dealers, marketers, speculators, and flippers).
    Thanks for the insight into this situation Hidalgo. But my thought on what I see happening here, is that the US Mint’s solution for fixing the problem, is to throw out the baby with the bath water. I think it would be more advantageous to let us coin collectors figure out a way straighten out the dealers, marketers, speculators, and flippers. Because there attempt to rectify matters by deliberately devaluing the collector coin market, may make them worthless to flippers, but it also makes them worthless to coin collectors as well. At least with a set mintage, I as a coin collector have a fighting chance at collecting something of value. Dealers and flippers don’t scare me because they control only a small percentage of the market. But what does scare me is the US Mint’s way of dealing with the situation, because they’re in control of 100% of the market. Case in point: Because of the mintages, I have not been able to collect any of the 2010, 2011, or the 2012 Quarters, except to buy them on Ebay or from the US Mint. See a problem here? Now we have the up coming release of the “S” mint Quarters. Here again, if I want to collect any of those quarters, I’ll either have to buy from the US Mint or on EBay. I ask you, who in both these instances have now become the dealer, marketer, speculator, and the flippers? Wow! What tangled webs we weave. When you think about, I hate to say it, but in all honesty the flippers has done more for the advancement in the interest of coin collecting then this new mintage policy will ever do.

I would add two points:
    1.) Remember that sometimes limited to demand coins due well like the 2009 UHR double eagle. The point is there are always people who want it later after sales have ended if it is a coin with strong appeal.
    2.) I think the comments here show how risky the Mint’s new strategy is. There is a danger of losing customers by going too far with minted to demand. The key is which coins and sets should be limited and which are okay to make to demand. It should not be a choice between all limited or all to demand.

I wonder why folks here think that “limited to demand” coins will result in much larger quantities than coins with a defined mintage. Such could be far from the truth, as we have seen with the First Spouse gold coins and the commemorative coins (to name but a few).

For both groups of coins, the proposed mintages far exceeded the public’s demand. For the FS gold coins, the maximum mintages were said to be several 1,000, but with later releases, just a few 1,000 have been sold. Similar situation with the commemoratives..

Personally, I see one of two sales pattern that will arise with the circulating S quarters. The first few coins in the series will be popular, but when buyers see that few profits can be gained, sales will fall with each new release. Examples of this pattern are the FS coins and the 5 ounce ATB silver coins.

Or another pattern — the 2012-S El Yunque Quarters will be ignored and sales will be low. Because of the low mintages, secondary market values will increase and everyone will want to buy later circulating S quarters. Example: 2009 Gold Buffalo $50 coin (which followed the low mintage 2008 coin).

Time will tell.

34. Shutter says

Case of what??? Are you arguing that the mintages for those coins were too high or too low? I assume you’re talking about circulating coinage, since you always had to buy numismatic products from the mint or dealers. Well, get used to it. coins don’t circulate nearly as much as they used to. Where I live, I used to see 1 P coin for every 10 D. Now it’s more like 1 for every 100. People don’t use cash anymore. The other day, I saw a woman trying to buy a newspaper ($1). When the clerk explained tat he had to charge tax on it and the total would be $1.09, she paid with a credit card.

35. fosnock says

@Mercury

I don’t understand your argument. You state that you want limited mintages then you state that limited mintages are affecting your ability to collect the ATB coins? As far as the joys of collecting I agree its the hunt, but what is happening recently is the joy of “hunting” on the Internet. For example when I was a kid I could hunt through my change and find silver coins (pre-1964). I still occasionally find a mercury dime or a war nickel, but if I want to enjoy the hunt for these coins now I have to “hunt” for them on E-bay. In order to “hunt” for the 25th anniversary Eagle set all I had to hit the refresh button a couple of hundred times, and those that did not get one in time, now have to “hunt” for them on E-bay or other vendor sites. In a nutshell my idea of “hunting” is going thru my change, maybe a garage sale or something. Your idea of hunting seems to to involve searching the Internet for the best price. I will leave you something B-I-L said about his friends. My B-I-L is a bow hunter, and he tracks his prey. He usually gets one buck per season. His friends spend the night drinking, then go to a tree stand and wait for the deers to arrive, were they can then shoot them. To me clicking on a refresh button or calling the Perth Mint directly to get the latest zodiac coin is like waiting in the tree stand, it is hunting but how much of a challenge is it.

36. simon says

My attitude to coins is simple : more makes me merrier. I’m happy selecting gems out of my change, or picking up coin discards off this beautiful rich earth, attracted by that very familiar alluring shiny wink. I recently received a bright red pristine 1959D/D cent (MS 66 or higher) in change after the purchase of a Danish. I have in the past received another pristine mint state 1965 quarter. There a millions and millions of these coins out there – these are just special to me, and I care little-to-none about their resale value – I just consider myself lucky that they ended up, after all these years lost in space-time, in my “COLLECTION.”

PS: if you get a chance look up the old movie “Paint Your Wagon,” in which Mr. Macho Eastwood actually sings! The humor of the plot is that there are many ways to earn a profit. Some go for the gold while others just settle for the dust!

37. Alan says

Here’s a thought. These S-mint quarters are similar to the Kennedy Halves in that they are both ostensibly circulation coins but they are minted only to meet collector demand. 1.4 million is nearly the same as the Kennedy half dollar mintage (per mint) in recent years.

And we all know the premiums on the clad halves are nominal. So collect the quarters if you like them, but the premium won’t be there. I won’t be hoarding them, but I sure would appreciate a mint-packaged set…

38. Wes says

Today is the 75th Anniversary of the Golden Gate Bridge. There should have been a commemorative coin. Oh well maybe in another twenty five years.

My two cents on minting to demand. In the not too distant past, you mailed in your order for a Mint product. You had NO idea of how many they were going to make (unless that info was made available, which was rarely the case). So you probably bought what you like, with little immediate concern for a value windfall. PM’s didn’t fluctuate wildly (The Hunt Brothers thing being the exception) so coins, even at shows, were affordable.

Today, it seems Mint customers want a certificate of guaranteed increase in value. Buy a T-bill then and you won’t be disappointed.

At first, I thought minting to demand is a bad thing. I’ve completely changed my opinion on it now. Why should dealers, flippers, and speculators determine rarity? With them out of the equation the collector make the determination. Like in the past, rarities will now occur naturally, based on the characteristics of the coin, not the hype. Maybe now the “dogs” will exist in realistic, non-exaggerated numbers and collectors will get their payday, if that’s what they are looking for. Would you have bought an UNC $5 Jackie Robinson if you knew the mintage? Sure you would have. So would everyone else, and then it wouldn’t have been rare at all. Now this coin wasn’t minted to demand, but I’m positive the mintage wasn’t reached and coins were destroyed. Minting to demand achieves the same goal, without the waste. A coin on it’s own merit. If artificially low mintages were the answer, all our Perth and RCM customers here would be millionaires.

There will still be some who buy extras to sell. Some people, will forget to pick up their coin, and the cut off date will catch them by surprise. I believe this will be good for the long term health of the hobby. We don’t need what happened to stamps and sports trading cards to occur. Today’s demand is a shortage in tomorrows expanding hobby.

Happy Memorial Day to all. My thanks to my fellow Vets, and a special thanks to those serving now.

40. simon says

VA B,

Funny you mentioned the Jackie Robinson Uncirc $5 Au. I purchased the 4-coin set simply because I liked the theme. I was also playing ball at the time. I have had gains and losses over time but the hobby has always been very very good to me. I derive great pleasure from the various aspects of coins and collecting. Sometimes I simply look at my collection to relax and have a good evening.

41. Zaz says

Someone said that mint to demand was fine for circulating coins that are ordered by the Federal Reserve, but not for collectibles issued by the Mint. The issue with mint to demand is the first year/first issue coin mintage will always be higher due to the novelty of the coin, then mintages start to taper off and attenuate as collectors lose interest, this is especially true of the modern period, i.e., SBAs, Sackies, the platinum Eagles, the Presidential dollars, the list goes on and on. There won’t be as nearly many Cleveland dollars of either term ordered as there will be Arthur dollars.

By that assessment, the last quarters of the run, Volcanoes and Denali would bear watching in the 4th quarter, while the availability period should theoretically last for a year, the restrike period would only last a few months, unless legislation is changed allowing prior year dated coins to be struck in a subsequent year. This is the boon of mint to order, when people are inattentive or distracted by some newer product, then realize how scarce something is when it is suddenly sold out or withdrawn.

Yep, y’all now see what I was saying. Mint to demand ain’t necessarily a bad thing. It could lead to some unplanned rarities, like with the FS gold coins.

Simon- Good choice on the $5 JR, congratulations. That’s what it’s all about. Your personal interest paid off in the long run, but most important you got a coin you enjoy.

Louis- Thanks, hope yours is a great one as well.

Hildago- I believe we should give MTD a chance. Of course there will be many of the popular coins minted, but the nice things is those will always be popular (and in theory command premiums, even if small, or big like the UHR). Imagine what the mintage might have been on the Boy Scout or Infantry commems if they were MTD? IMO those would have been smaller mintages than were later realized… and have a better, future upside for collectors seeking that, than what exists now. There’s way too many of these out there, and too little personal interest in the hobby to garner large premiums, even decades away.

44. Don says

One can only hope that the mint will offer some type of packaged set of the San Fran. minted ATB quarters. Many collectors would just be interested in having one or two nice specimens of each of the S-minted quarters rather than a roll or bag. Having obtained several of the state quarters in P & D rolls, I can say that the rolls/bags become cumbersome and heavy when accumulating a sizeable amount of them. Storage then becomes an important issue. I am staying away from rolls and bags of mint products from now on for that reason.

@ Don, et. al. — Do keep in mind that if you are looking to add any ATB clad quarter with the “S” mint mark, you can purchase them in annual clad proof sets. In fact, you can purchase all 2012 S ATB quarters right now in this year’s proof set.

Of course, if you want a circulating quality 2012 S ATB quarter, you’ll have to buy them from the US Mint. Or on the secondary market from places like eBay, coin dealers, etc.

46. Tim says

I’ll take the Proof any day over Circulating. Especially “S” silver. To each his or her own. That is why this blog is #1.

47. Don says

Hidalgo,
    I was referring to the circulating quality 2012 “S” quarters in my comments on a possible mint supplementary set (or adding them to the circulating quarters set due out later in the year).
    I am fully aware that the “S” quarters are available in either the clad or silver proof versions. But, although they bear the “S” mint mark, these are obviously made using different methods of minting than the clad circulating quarters. As such, they cannot fill the slots for circulating quality ATB quarters in a type collection of these coins.

48. Dan says

While I do like numismatic coins to be of low mintage, in this case I am glad that the Mint decided to mint them for a specified time period instead. This will assure broad coverage to collectors (without which the US Mint would have need to only mint circulating coins). I know that there are many people that would love a low mintage product and can line up friends with fast computers and time to score several sets and then flip them to those who are not able to do the same. For them it’s a way to make a fast buck at the expense of other collectors. I mean no disrespect to them (this is America and it’s a capitalist driven society), but I like the idea of at least a time-limit to make it easier to get wide coverage.

49. Dan says

@VA Bob, given a choice I always go for the UNC issue of the coins especially it its a Gold commemorative. Most collectors want the shiny coins and the demand is high, but many pass on the UNC versions especially if the metal is Gold (since it’s a higher cost to begin with). I agree with your way of thinking on mint to demand.