Release Dates for 2012-P ATB 5 oz. Silver Uncirculated Coins

The United States Mint’s 2012 Summer Catalog, which was recently distributed by mail, included release dates for all of the remaining 2012-P America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coins. Since these dates have not yet been included on the US Mint’s online product schedule, I wanted to share them with readers.

According to the catalog, the 2012 release schedule is as follows:

El Yunque May 29
Chaco Culture July 9
Acadia August 13
Hawai’i Volcanoes September 24
Denali November 5

Despite a bit of a late start, all of the 2012-dated releases will be released within the calendar year. This is a change from the prior two years of the program. For the 2010-dated coins, all five were released within the 2011 calendar year. For the 2011-dated releases, the first three were released within the calendar year, with the final two designs released in early 2012.

The US Mint has previously indicated that the maximum mintage for each of the 2012-dated releases will be 25,000 coins. This is a reduction from the 35,000 maximum mintage established for the 2011-dated releases and also lower than the 27,000 mintage for the 2010-dated releases.

Pricing for the America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coins is currently $204.95 each. This is subject to potential adjustment based on the market price of silver, however I don’t think a price change is likely unless silver makes a significant move. As explored in this post, the current pricing was established when silver was around $29 per ounce.

Other News

The opening sales figures for the circulating quality 2012-S El Yunque National Park Quarters are available within the latest weekly sales report. The numbers came in lower than I expected at 5,800 of the 40-coin rolls and 3,827 of the 100-coin bags. This accounts for 614,700 coins.

Notably, this is lower than the debut figures experienced for the regular “P” and “D” mint marked bags and rolls. The US Mint seemed to be hoping that this product would make a big impression with collectors, but it seems to have fallen a bit flat.

Based on the available London Fix prices, it seems likely that the prices for the US Mint’s numismatic gold and platinum coins will be reduced tomorrow. The deciding factor will likely be the Wednesday PM Fix prices.

Numismatic prices would be decreased, if the Wednesday London PM Fix price is below $1,600 for gold or below $1,450 for platinum. These decreases would reverse the price increases just seen last week.

Comments

1. dave says

25,000 mintage means nothing anymore they are too expensive and no one really cares about this product, they need to reduce the mintage to 10,000 to 15,000 maybe that would provide a spark or just change the 5 oz coin to another design and make just 1 a yr

Perhaps, but collecting should also be about what one likes and enjoys, not only mintages and price potential. Besides, today’s unloved coins are often tomorrow’s darlings. Remember that few people wanted the Jackie Robinson gold coins, and today the BU is worth $3K and more if 70. There is no guarantee this will happen, but my point is some people still like this series such as me. And who knows what will be the situation years down the road.

But I agree they should lower maximum mintages. One other point, we should not assume that 25K of each coin is automatically produced. They probably make them in batches like the spouse coins, which never sell their maximums. Maximums are really only that – maximums, but many people do not understand that. The army half dollar had a high maximum but few sold and today they sell for a nice premium.

3. Shutter says

Louis,

$5 Robinson uncirculated is a fair example. But even more impressive (to me anyway) are some of the 1996 Olympics $1 coins. The uncirculated Tennis, Rowing, Paralympics, High Jump. They all hover around $200. That’s nearly 10X melt value. And the 1996 Olympic halves (Soccer, Swimming), folks are laying down $70-80 for them. That’s about 5X the value of Washington and Madison, that have actual silver in them.

4. Shutter says

One other thing. Low maximums and low mintages are nice, but they aren’t everything. 2001 Buffalo sold out 500K for both strikes and is doing rather nicely. 2010 Boy Scouts sold out smaller 350K, and guess what? Can be had for around issue price. And it isn’t the worst performing commemorative.

Shutter, I am also a fan of the 1996 key date Olympic dollars, which I think are quite undervalued given that they are the lowest mintage modern comm dollars. I have all except the tennis coin, which I will get when my funds are in better shape after the flurry of new issues during the past year.

Are you collecting either or both versions of the ATB coins?

6. Zaz says

These are nice items, heavy and solid and certainly stackable. I’ll probably buy them all in one fell swoop after Denali debuts on the same day ad its circulating counterpart. They are impractical as coins, but work better as medals, or thought of as medal sized “coins.” Whatever the terminology, the
    proof-like mirror surface really works for designs with flat areas of sky, Mt. Hood, Vicksburg, Chickasaw come to mind. The vapor blasted frost of the uncirculated is really attractive and ties the series neatly together. This has been the only product from the Mint that I have been repeatedly satisfied with time and time again. Each time I get one in the mail, that day is like Christmas all over again. I feel like I get another piece of treasure from Uncle Sam at a mere pittance.

7. Shutter says

Louis,

The thing about 1996 Olympic coins is that the complaints about them were the same as generated by the entire US Mint catalog today. Coins are ugly, the mint is pushing too many products, nobody wants base metal coins, just how many paralympic coins do we need? etc. In the long run, many of those complaints actually contributed to those coins’ enduring value.

I only collect Uncirculated 5oz ATB (including Grand Canyon Light Finish) and Silver Proof quarters. I will opportunistically pick up related items. For example, I just acquired bullion Chickasaw with both (silver & clad) proof Chickasaw quarters in the same NGC slab. The bullion is MS69 and proofs are PF70. I also like to group coins by subject. For example: Braille commemorative, both Paralympic Coins, and Alabama quarter. They all have Braille text on them. Or Arizona quarter, Grand Canyon quarter, and 2001 platinum eagle proof.

8. coinjunkie says

The Vapor Blasted ATB’s are basically the only thing I want from the mint just because they are big funny looking quarters. I’ve got them all except for the first two, which I knew nothing about. They have had an interesting impact on me and that is the fact that I have become more interested in some of the other ATB products like the uncirculated and silver proof sets. I did put in an order for two of the San Francisco set (even though its overpriced) but that’s because I want the reverse proof in OGP since I have the 20th and 25th Anniverssary sets in OGP. The ATB pucks are my thing and its my plan to get every one either until the end or until the mint stops minting them. I’m a collector and do not intend on selling them because that’s why I buy 10ounce bars. I’m more than willing to sell, trade or barter with those but not my “Super Quarters.” I’m just a bit concerned about the sku label on the back of the EL Yunque box from the mint. They put the Yunque label on top of another label for a different “Super Quarter.”

9. VABEACHBUM says

I’ve been on board with both ATB 5 oz series from the beginning, and continue to be pleased with each issue. No grading to slabs; just OGP for the P’s and air-tites for the Bullion. Having seen the 2012 PR Set quarters, I’m really looking forward to seeing the Volcanoes and Denali issues in the 5 oz version. What I find interesting is how one issue can be more appealing as a 5 oz bullion, while the next issue has more appeal in the P, vapor blast form.

@ Shutter – I really like the thought behind your outside-the-box combinations. That’s what “collecting” is all about!!

As for the “S” Quarters, borderline shock on the numbers. Again, not sure if it’s the lack of interest, the Mint’s lack of marketing, the Mint’s horrible mark-up, or collectors waiting to combine w/ other purchases. Begs the question: Do these stay on sale forever, or does this S series end with 2012, and as this semi-random SF Mint “anniversary” fades from our consciousness?? Thoughts?

The “S” El Yunque quarter bags and rolls would have “flown off the shelves” if the Mint had left the mintage at 1.4 million and been done with it. But, making the statement that they would be minted to demand sucked all the wind out of the coins’ sails.

They are still worth keeping an eye on, though. If it takes a while to sell the 1.4 million coins, the Mint could deem that demand has been met and cut them off at that level, not bothering to strike more. That could result in them being worth something after all.

11. Jus-a-coin-luvr says

Interesting news on the releases set for this year. Sounds like the Mint is “good to go” for the balance of this year. I was afraid that we might be hearing the “death rattle” of this series with the low sales volumes. I still like them and am one of the collecting-crew that will hang with it and hope for lower actual mintage.

With all those past releases stacking-up in the Mint’s Catalog (6 now, going back to Sept 2011), it does leave me wondering what the Mint thinks about the program long term. Can it continue at this pace and still be a viable program for them? I don’t know…but I wouldn’t shed any tears either if they switched to a custom 5oz Eagle or some other coin design of interest.

The “S” quarter results don’t surprise me. It’s a neat product and I plan on getting it eventually, possibly even in a bag, but I had a bad feeling about it. It’s clad in the midst of the gold and silver craze (strike 1) it’s not limited mintage like many people hoped (strike 2) and they didn’t release a portion into direct circulation either to fire up some excitement about the circulating quarters program (strike 3).

I think this would have done better if they’d capped the mintage, and released a portion of the quarters for circulation. The former would have gotten in the value buyers and speculators, and the latter might have set off a “treasure hunt” among casual collectors.

Jus-a-coin-luvr,

I think it would be pretty unlikely for them to end a coin program in the middle of the year. Even the circulating dollar coin program did not end until the release of James Garfield. If there is to be a cancellation, we don’t have to worry about it until the start of 2013. I’m leaning towards it being unlikely to happen as the First Spouse program has just been rolling on with sales falling for years.

The only issue is if the costs of production exceed the revenues from sales. I am not an expert on the mint’s internal processes so I have no idea about whether this is possible.

13. Fosnock says

What is the hurry to get the “S” quarters, they will be available for a whole year, and minted to demand. Personally if the mint wanted to boost sale they would need to go back to how they released the Territories Quarter which means the quarters would be available for 2 months, with no additional production runs. I think the “S” quarters will be “winners” due to low mintage but by not releasing them into actual circulation they technically are competing with other low mintage items like the Kennedy half’s. Imagine the excitement if they released a few million “S” quarters into circulation or if they “accidentally” threw in a silver roll or a few singles in a mint bag

14. KEITHSTER says

Can’t wait for the Chaco Culture 5 Ozer’s. They should be quite the ancient site to see. As for the clad S when did 1.4 million mean rare except maybe in a whitman folder. Surely some where in this Rich Mans Hobby someone can forgo the extra $9.00 and send a roll or two into ciculation.Then those would be the rarest true ciculated ciculation coins. To be later faked by scuffing up some of the one’s we have. Same with the rest of the ATB quarters that no one can find in change come on crack open a few of your’e bank roll’s and let them ride.

15. simon says

Louis : Perhaps, but collecting should also be about what one likes and enjoys, not only mintages and price potential.

Shutter : $5 Robinson uncirculated is a fair example. But even more impressive (to me anyway) are some of the 1996 Olympics $1 coins.

I happen to, as the original owner, have a 32-coin 1995-96 Olympic Centennial coin set with cherry wood case and brass key (in red velvet pouch) in my possession (one of a mere 160 or so). I purchased this set because I actually liked the theme and as a collector I thought it would be neat to have it. I paid for it over several months,receiving regular coin shipments, and the anticipation of completing the set was profound. Ditto with the 4-coin Jackie Robinson set. ALL in OGP !

Many of the comments here and in other forums are tilted very heavily to flipping and TPG procedures to maximize resale value. This is the coin business. I have to say that as a collector I have no interest in any of it.

Fosnock, that is a great idea! Throw a few random 40% or 90% silver quarters into circulation or into bags and rolls, that would really drive a treasure hunt aspect!

As for this year’s designs, I definitely prefer Acadia. Chickasaw remains my all time favorite with Vicksburg close behind. Grand Canyon was my favorite 2010.

17. simon says

The Chaco coin portrays Kivas which are prayer and assembly rooms akin to your churches. They also contain windows aligned/oriented with the apogee/perigee of the sun, and with lunar phases, leading astronomers to believe that the ancient residents had a system for religious practice timed with astronomical observation. I have worked at Chaco to reroute the water runoff from floods to preserve unexplored ruins.

Chaco was abandoned but the oldest continuous inhabited village site in the US, stretching back over two millenia, is nearby in New Mexico ! Viva Tierra Encantada!

On the 5oz ATB subject, can someone explain where to get the “bullion” vs. the “Vapor Blasted” vs. “proof” versions? I only see the “uncirculated” versions on USmint.gov website, is that the “bullion” and where do you find the other versions?

Also, I have seen these avaialble on eBay and graded by NGC and PCGS with initials MS 69 “DPML,” what does DPML mean? Some are only “DP.”

Thanks in advance, you all are very helpful to a novice like me!

19. Shutter says

icsopris,

Bullion ATBs have to be acquired through dealers (e.g. APMEX, Provident Metals, etc). “Vapor Blasted” are the uncirculated 5oz coins you see on the Mint’s website. There are no proof versions of 5oz ATB coins. Only regular quarters.

MS PL refers to Mint State Proof Like. Proof Like usually means “clear reflection in the fields on both sides from 2-4 inches away”. MS DMPL (or DPL) stands for Deep Mirror Proof Like. DMPL “must possess clear reflection in the fields on both sides of the coin from at least 6 inches away. And the reflectivity must be undistorted on both the obverse and reverse.”

Here is an article from a short while back that discusses this:

There is more stuff on this that you can search for.

20. george glazener says

Simon;
    Very interesting indeed. Far from being “savages”, our Native Americans were extremely intelligent and advanced cultures. Witness the Cherokee language, the Aztec and Mayan cities, and just the simple way they cherished nature and preserved their world. Europeans just could not see them for what they were and what knowledge they possessed.

What part of NM is this located? Close to which airport?

Icsopris,

Only thing I’d add to Shutter’s comment is an explanation that vapor blasting is a technique that’s used to remove imperfections in a coin and produce the matte finish that’s typical on the uncirculated AtBs sold on the Mint’s website. It’s kind of a “successor” technique to sandblasting, which has been used to produce older coins, such as the extremely rare proof peace dollars.

22. simon says

George

Albuquerque is the best approach. Then take I25 ( from exit on Gibson Bl ; south ) to 550 at Bernalillo. Follow it to Nageezi where you will find 7850 / 57 directly to the main canyon area.

The 5 Oz Chaco ATB has images of the Chetro Ketl – Pueblo Bonito Kivas. Pueblo Bonito is the largest kiva prayer house in America. Most kivas are enclosed with a rooftop access and ladder dropping to the floor. The kivas have a seating arrangement at the circumferential perimeter with a central fire place. Musical instruments (flutes and drums) were typically found in digs together with beads, pottery, children’s toys, and ornaments. The cooling system for hot summers was large open bowls containing evaporating water. Their diet was mainly grain such as corn, some domesticated game (lamb), and there is also evidence of cocoa imported from south America.

Yes, there were common toilets which were situated a hike of hundreds of yards away from the village. There were also garbage dumps in the far away areas.

I mention the prayer rituals timed with the solar position / lunar phases because this is equivalent with Judeo – Christian practices of setting dates for feasts such as Passover and Easter based on lunar phase.

Finally Native American women are the most elegant and beautiful to my eyes!

23. george glazener says

Very cool. I must get there someday soon. Is this a culture that pre-dated the Navaho, Hopi and Anasazi? Or were they related somehow?

24. simon says

I believe they significantly postdate the original Anasazi nomads. Chaco folded about 1000 years ago but the actual origins and date are still under consideration, as are the reasons for the abandonment of the structures. Clearly the culture flourished and was quite large in its heyday. Also, there are significant differences between the nomadic (Apache, Navajo) and pueblo Native Americans (Zia, Zuni, Hopi). The rituals at the pueblos were very highly developed. Most pueblos are also located in proximity to major rivers in the areas. If you have a chance I highly recommend visiting the Hopi Pueblos in Arizona ( at 1st, 2nd, 3rd mesas ) specifically during their spring and fall festivals. The ceremonies are open to the public and the dances, attire, and food are highly varied, intricate, and truly awe inspiring.

For those of you who are into Native-American themed things, Provident Metals sells one ounce copper and one ounce silver Lakoda rounds that are apparently real currency at the Lakoda reservation. I got a couple copper ones because I like the design and just gave one as a gift to a friend. I may get a silver one with my next order.

26. Shutter says

I believe they significantly postdate the original Anasazi nomads.

I was under the impression that Anasazi refers to ancestors of modern Pueblo people. While Nomads refers, here anyway, to later arrivals like Navajo and Apache.

27. Jus-a-coin-luvr says

Great discussion of the Chaco ABT coin and the history that drove its image. I’m learning more about that coin from you guys and it adds to the interest in the coin. Thanks!

28. T1 Browserman says

This is the reason I collect the ‘P’ ATB’s…..there is history and beauty more bountiful and attached to each offering that surpasses the world of price and quantity.

TY simon for the historical insights !

29. simon says

The connection is mostly academic thought, most of it written by non-native americans. The Anasazi cultural origin as nomads is traced back about 10,000 years. The Pueblo Indian culture is remarkably recent (well under 2000 yrs) in comparison. Much of the connection is under debate and not verifiable but established through very basic equivalence. Also keep in mind that the areas of the southwestern pueblo were not considered desirable as living sites in comparison with lush areas in the Mexican peninsula and south. I believe that scarcity of water was a big issue. There is also the issue of migration over several thousand miles over centuries which does not bode well for a direct connection. I don’t believe there is a single culture outside of Judaism which has continuous lineage of over 5000 years. Christianity is 2000 years as itself and over 5000 years in combination with Judaism. Buddhism is about 2500 years but went through very major transformation in its migration from India to China and the far east. It is a good example of how a culture evolves as it moves through time across the earth.

I received a bag and a roll of S quarters today. I am thinking of opening the bag and putting a couple in circulation. But I doubt any of the recipients would notice, know what it is, or care unless I point it out, in which case they would just hold on to it.

31. dr joe says

Just finished ’1491′ by Charles C Mann. It is the America’s version of ‘Guns, Germs and Steel’. Has very detailed and thought provoking history of how the Native Americans came to have their societies and what may have led to their destruction. Very thought provoking and certainly challenged my thinking as to what the ‘real history’ of the New World may have been.
    Visited the kievas as a Boy Scout in the 60′s. Worth the trip.
    Thanks to all who chime in on this blog as it is my ‘must read’ along with World Mint Blog everyday. Almost like family. Thanks again.

32. KEITHSTER says

That’s the whole point of letting some go to see how far they go before they notice.I can hear it now conterfeit chinese quarters found in circulation S for shanghai not P or D for AMERICAN.Or FBI alerted to fake quarter or a story of some kid under 30 who found a quarter with a strange mark they’ve never seen before.or one of my fav.’s one of us with something nice found in circulation story. So crack some open and let’em go I’m sure we will hear about it. As for Chaco Culture sad but beautiful story just like the 5oz’er Simple as Simon Says:

33. Jack in N.E says

I opened 1 roll of the ElYunque S quarters today.Pretty much like any other uncirculated quarter,except that many seemed to have wash or water stains on them.Did anyone else notice this?

34. ED says

Jack; They are treating these like circulating coins and not inspecting them, check out the mints web page it states “circulating quality”. Im just gonna pick 2 up on ebay for $2. I dont see these being anything but a novalty, but it would be cool if they came out with an uncirculated S mint silver quarter set.