Daw Aung San Suu Kyi Bronze Medal

Yesterday, the Congressional Gold Medal was awarded to human rights activist Daw Aung San Suu Kyi in recognition of her courageous and unwavering commitment to peace, nonviolence, human rights and democracy in Burma.  The medal was authorized under Public Law 110-209, enacted on May 6, 2008.

The obverse of the medal features a portrait of of Suu Kyi based on a photograph by Eddie Adams. (See the photograph here.) The reverse depicts a peacock with inscriptions “Dedicated to promoting freedom and democracy in Burma” and “Act of Congress 2008″. Both the obverse and reverse were designed and sculpted by Don Everhart.

The United States Mint will offer bronze reproductions of the medal for sale, starting today September 20, 2012 at 12:00 Noon ET. A 3-inch version is available priced at $39.95 and a 1.5-inch version is available priced at $6.95.

Other bronze reproductions of Congressional Gold Medals offered by the US Mint this year have included the Montford Point Marines, Constantino Brumidi, and Arnold Palmer.

Comments

1. Sam says

Does the mint ever publish sales reports for these medals? I do not believe I have ever seen one (other than first spouse bronze medals).

2. DCDave says

The Mint site will likely crash at noon due to the overwhelming demand for the Daw Aung bronze $39.95 (plus shipping) medal.

Sam,

I don’t think the mint ever releases sales reports for the medals. I browsed through the Mint’s 2011 financials/annual report quickly and didn’t see any sales figures for medals there either.

4. CW says

I guess there weren’t any of the 300 million Americans worth rewarding. Wow, my tax dollars are being spent to honor people in Burma. I’m sure she is a great person and worthy of merit, but one has to wonder about the necessity of legislating stuff like this. I guess that is the only way anyone would be forced to agree to this.

5. dan says

It appears we are getting a new mint director, Bibiana Boerio. From stamping out sheet metal for cars to stamping coins, yeah I guess that makes her qualified.

From an artistic standpoint I like it! Maybe I’m being a bit selfish, but isn’t their more US heroes we could be honoring? I don’t want to diminish this womans good work, but someone more Americans are familiar with might sell more of these items.

7. zwiggy says

Well she won the Nobel Peace Prize back in 1991. The last American to win it? ….2009

I DO like the reverse.

Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2009. It’s amazing what he has accomplished since then. Worthy of a medal !

9. G says

really nice design- great medal: now if they could make a commemorative silver dollar out of it I would buy one

zwiggy – IMO a Nobel award shouldn’t necessarily translate to the creation of a US medal. I also like the reverse, and they did a nice job of her likeness on the obverse.

Hidalgo- I hope that was sarcasm.

G- Maybe Burma should consider your proposition, but I doubt the US would or should for that matter.

11. george glazener says

Yes, it was sarcasm, and very smartly done. Just goes to show what a farce even that supposedly honorable organization has become.

Samuel- I don’t know, she is in their government now. I wonder how much $$$ we are sending them to be our friend. Maybe we could pay in Prez dollar coins, and save the storage fees.

13. Floyd says

A lot of small-minded, ugly comments in this thread. The USA can and should recognize our own citizens as well as our pro-democracy allies around the world.

And yes, it’s Burma, not Myanmar.

Floyd – I’m not opposed to foreigners honored on our US medals or commemoratives, but I ask that US citizens/native Americans be honored first with foreign persons that achievements have benefited us as a nation (the Braille coin comes to mind). Anniversary dates playing a part. Really, nothing more than I would expect any other nation to do with their various Mints products.

Things don’t always go as planned with “friendly” or supposed allies of the US. Remember Time magazine made Adolf Hitler “man of the year”. Not a coin or medal (thank goodness), but you can understand my concern. We don’t always give too much thought to the “democracies” we support, Egypt, Libya, and Iraq being a few recent examples. Burma just recently started reforms, and their are no guarantees of friendship toward the US. We can only hope.

15. louis says

Most of these comments are beside the point. She was awared the Cong gold medal. When that happens bronze medals usually follow. If you have a problem contact your member of Congress
    And spare us your jingoistic comments.

16. hi ho silver says

I agree with VA Bob. I wonder if the WORLD MINTS are going diverse. Australia is offering American nose art and just got an email about a Mahammad Ali coin.I should be getting the pronghorn coins early next week and am on pins and needles about a great white shark coin.What comes to my mind after reading Va is the recent PSU scandal. Jopa was it around here…….not anymore.. just my opinion.

Louis thank you for your rude reply. BTW my wife is Asian. Perhaps we should stick to coins instead of assumptions.

For the moment hi ho silver. Thanks. I usually state what my opinion is on a given topic and I’m not bothered if others agree or not, as I’m not seeking validation. I never intend to disparage anyone else’s opinion. The PC police try harder every day to control the spoken word, just would never expect it here.

I like the medals design. I know Congress authorizes them. I still believe there are many of our countrymen/women that need to be honored for their actions affecting us or mankind. Sorry if that offends those highly sensitive to the whole one big happy world. Those folks can disregard my comments.