Reverse Design Announced for 2013 Native American Dollar

The United States Mint has announced the reverse design selection for the 2013 Native American Dollar. This will be the fifth in a series of annual rotating reverse designs which are intended to highlight the contributions and accomplishments of Native Americans.

The design for the coming year will represent the Treaty With the Delawares, which was the first formal treaty between the new United States and a Native American tribe. It was signed on September 17, 1778 at Fort Pitt, Pennsylvania.

The design features a turkey, howling wolf, and turtle, which are animal symbols of the clans of the Delaware tribe. The three animals are surrounded by a semi-circle of thirteen stars, which represent the original 13 Colonies. The inscriptions read “United States of America”, “$1″, and “Treaty With the Delawares 1778″. This was designed by Susan Gamble and sculpted by Phebe Hemphill.

On the obverse of the coin will be the familiar portrait of Sacagawea and child designed by Glenna Goodacre for the preceding Sacagawea Dollar series. The inscriptions read “Liberty” and “God We Trust”. The date, mint mark, and “E Pluribus Unum” appear on the edge of the coin.

The Native American $1 Coin Act calls for the reverse design to be selected by the Treasury of the Secretary, following consultation or review by the Commission of Fine Arts (CFA), Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee (CCAC), Committee on Indian Affairs of the Senate, the Congressional Native American Caucus of the House of Representatives, and the National Congress of American Indians.

The review and recommendations of the CFA and CCAC were covered in articles published on CoinUpdate.com which can be found here and here. The recommendation of the CFA appears below at left, while the recommendation of the CCAC appears below at right.

Mint News Blog also provided readers with a chance to vote on their favorite design among the various alternatives. Within this unofficial poll, the top percentage of votes at  45.56% were received by the alternative which was selected as the final reverse design. This was followed  at 31.88% by an alternative which featured a quill pen and feather against a background of parchment. In third place was the cloth pattern design recommended by the CFA at 10.48%. A quick breakdown is shown below, visit the original post for the full results.

Comments

1. george glazener says

Very Cool Indeed…!! There’s nothing like well done Native American artwork to stir the imagination and soul of a true collector.

2. DCDave says

(repost) I would be nice if we could “flip” coins within our group without those expensive 3rd party fees. Anyone interested in looking into this?

3. simon says

Tim,

I agree – Silver is the primary material in all Indian jewelry. If they were
    to offer these coins in silver it would be both very popular, and also be
    a great tribute to the traditions of Native American Craftsmen.

DCDave,

I tried to reply to your comment on the last post, but it never showed up. Maybe they get kicked out when mentioning websites, I don’t know. Either that, or I’ve fallen out of good graces! I guess I’ll find out if this comment gets rejected, too!

Ok, so I can still post. I suggested trying to sell coins on webstore, where there is no fee. It’s a lot like the site we’re all familiar with, but you don’t have to pay the 9%, or anything for that matter. Just the 2.9% to the payment service owned by the site we’re all familiar with!

There’s not much traffic on the alternate site, but searches in the giant search engine we’re all familiar with will bring up the item.

Maybe this comment will go through. Here goes!

6. SilverFan says

I like the design and agree it would look good in silver…too bad that will not happen though.

I love this design and glad it was chosen! I agree that it would be nice if these coins were in silver! I look forward to “owning” this coin in the near future!

8. Jon in CT says

Why commemorate this treaty? Didn’t the Delaware end of siding with the British against the colonists?

9. simon says

If they do a Navajo commem, a turquoise moon would be apropos and awesome. Certainly a worthy riposte to the vapid colorized issues of Perth etc.

10. ClevelandRocks says

Common man, Thanksgiving is tomorrow and the Mint doesn’t have our final SF numbers yet?

11. TomP says

CR, the Mint doesn’t have the final SF numbers because the Mint hasn’t finished selling them yet. The excess returned sets will be on sale on Black Friday at the Mint’s hardbrick stores. Perhaps DCDave or Louis can pick up a set at Union Station, D.C. and report back to us the discount price. LOL. Happy Thanksgiving.

I believe turquoise is a south western native American thing. I’m sure someone some where will have these plated in silver. Not the same I know, but if anyone wants it that badly markets tend to find a way.

OT I was flipping through the channels last night and my jaw dropped when I saw the Coin Vault hocking the San Fran set fro $350. Amazing.

13. Mercury says

2 cents: The design seems a little cheesy. Like something you might see on a Chucky Cheese video arcade token. But it is what it is. The majority has spoken. Live and let live.

14. T1 browserman says

Appetizer = Turtle soup

Main course = Wild Turkey

Scraps = Wolf

Happy T -day bloggers…….:)

15. saucexx says

Mercury,

I agree that it’s not particularly appealing. The two feathers was a much better design.

I liked the feather one more too. It looks more classy to me. Is there a reason why the wolf is howling, and the turtle is craning his neck up?

Happy Turkey day to all.

17. oldfolkie says

I do like the artistic quality of the feather design but as I understand it the three animals represent the three tribes of the Delaware so to me it makes it more meaningful. I do like the design as well. I’m happy with it, especially since most treaties were quickly broken,

18. stephen m. says

Joe & Louis, a turtle, when on the move, will hold it’s head looking up while stretching it’s neck out. It’s because a turtle is so low to the ground and they are trying to see where it is going.

19. Val says

I’m not sure, but it appears to me that the Sliver Coin Set due to be released on Nov 27 is even more overpriced than the SF set that was release in late July.

20. Mercury says

I agree with saucexx and Louis, that in particular, the two feathers design is indeed more appealing, and has a little more of a classier feel to it. So to help bridge this gap, I got an idea; Maybe the Mint can make good by these designs, and turn them into a positive, by minting a 3 Coin Silver Set next year which would include designs 09 and 10 as well. Because as Val says, the Sliver Coin Sets due to be released on Nov 27 is way overpriced. Therefore, the Mint will need to come up with some sort of replacement Set to take the place of all that silver they’ll end up recycling.

21. Two Cents says

Michael, by the way, great graphic with the pie chart. It really pops. This blog keeps getting better and better.

22. David says

Nice design, however I am a bit deterred from collecting dollar coins simply because I despise the edge lettering. I feel the date and mint mark should be on the obverse of the coin.