2013 5-Star Generals $5 Gold Coins, Silver Dollars, and Half Dollars

Today, March 21, 2013 at 12:00 Noon ET, the United States Mint will begin sales of the 2013 5-Star Generals Commemorative Coins. The program includes $5 gold coins, silver dollars, and clad composition half dollars available in proof or uncirculated versions.

The program was authorized under Public Law 111-262 enacted on October 8, 2010. The law provides for the issuance of commemorative coins to recognize the five United States Army 5-Star Generals, George Marshall, Douglas MacArthrur, Dwight Eisenhower, Henry Arnold, and Omar Bradley who are all alumni or instructors of the U.S. Army Command and General Staff College (CGSC). Following some closer attention to the legislative intent, designs of the coins were chosen which feature portraits of the five 5-Star Generals on the obverse and designs emblematic of the CGSC on the reverse.

5 Star Generals Gold Coin

The obverse design for the $5 gold coin features a lone portrait of General Douglas MacArthur with the 5-star insignia in the right field. The inscriptions include “Liberty”, “In God We Trust”, “2013”, and “Douglas MacArthur”. The reverse of the coin depicts the Leavenworth Lamp, which is the symbol of the Command and General Staff College. The inscriptions include “United States of America”, “E Pluribus Unum”, “Five Dollars”, and “Fort Leavenworth”.

The obverse was designed by Ronald D. Sanders and engraved by Michael Guadioso. The reverse was designed by Barbara Fox and engraved by Joseph Menna.

Each coin is struck in 90% gold with a diameter of 0.85 inches and weight of 8.359 grams. The gold content is per coin is 0.2419 troy ounces.

A maximum mintage of 100,000 applies to this coin across all options. The initial pricing will be $485.50 for the proof version and $480.50 for the uncirculated version. These prices reflect a discount available during an introductory period. Pricing may vary weekly based on the average market price of gold and is calculated based on a grid.

5-Star Generals Silver Dollar

The 2013 5-Star Generals Silver Dollar features Generals George C. Marshall and Dwight D. Eisenhower against a striped background with the 5-star insignia at top center. Within an outer ring are the inscriptions “George C. Marshall”, “Dwight D. Eisenhower”, “In God We Trust”, “Liberty”, and “2013”. The reverse of this coin features the Leavenworth Lamp on a base which reads “U.S. Army Command and General Staff College”. Additional inscriptions read “United States of America”, “One Dollar”, “E Pluribus Unum”, and “Fort Leavenworth”.

The obverse was designed by Richard Masters, while the reverse was designed by Barbara Fox. Both the obverse and reverse were engraved by Joseph Menna.

The coins are struck in 90% silver and 10% copper with a diameter of 1.5 inches and weight of 26.73 grams. The silver content per coin is 0.7734 troy ounces.

A maximum mintage of 500,000 applies across all product options. The initial pricing will be $54.95 for the proof version and $50.95 for the uncirculated version. After the introductory period concludes on April 19, 2013 at 5:00 PM ET, regular pricing of $59.95 for proof coins and $55.95 for uncirculated coins will go into effect.

5-Star Generals Half Dollar

The final coin of the program is a clad composition half dollar which features the Generals Henry Arnold and Omar N. Bradley on the obverse. The 5-star insignia appears at top center with inscriptions “Liberty” and “In God We Trust” above. The additional inscriptions “Henry Hap Arnold”, “Omar N. Bradley”, and “2013” appear at the bottom. The reverse features the heraldic crest of Fort Leavenworth with inscriptions “United States of America”, “E Pluribus Unum”, and “Half Dollar”.

Both the obverse and reverse were designed and engraved by Phebe Hemphill.

These coins are struck in 91.67% copper and 8.33% nickel with a diameter of 1.205 inches and weight of 11.34 grams.

A maximum mintage of 750,000 pieces applies across all options. Initial pricing will be $17.95 for individual proof coins and $16.95 for individual uncirculated coins. Regular pricing effective after April 19, 2013 at 5:00 PM ET will be $21.95 for proofs and $20.95 for uncirculated coins.

Three Coin Proof Set

A three coin proof set incorporating all three of the above coins will also be available. A limit of 10,000 applies to this product option. The initial pricing is $546.50 based on the pricing grid. This reflects the introductory period discount and pricing may from week to week based on the average market price of gold.

Barring any sell outs of the maximum authorized mintages or product limit, the coins from this program are authorized to be issued through the end of the calendar year. Typically, the US Mint has concluded sales at a preannounced date a few weeks ahead of the deadline to allow time for ordering processing and delivery.

Coins to Watch

This program includes some coins that will be interesting to watch for various reasons.

For the past two years, the uncirculated $5 gold commemorative coins offered by the US Mint had mintages which would be considered extremely low within the context of the modern commemorative gold coins. In 2011, the Army and Medal of Honor uncirculated $5 gold coins had final sales of 8,062 and 8,251, respectively. Last year, the Star Spangled Banner uncirculated gold coin had final sales of 7,027. Other than these recent issues, commemorative gold coins with mintages below the 10,000 level command hefty premiums.

silver-dollarThe silver dollar for the program features a portrait of Dwight D. Eisenhower, who has previously appeared on the Eisenhower Dollar minted from 1971 to 1978 as well as a commemorative silver dollar issued in 1990. The latter managed to attain final sales of more than 1.3 million, which was a sharp increase compared to the prior year commemorative silver dollar and was not surpassed in mintage by any subsequent commemorative silver dollar. Will the popularity of Eisenhower on coins also serve to give this year’s issue a boost?

Lastly, the uncirculated version of the half dollar may be closely watched to see if the final mintage will come in lower than the 2011 Army Half Dollar. When sales closed, the uncirculated version of the coin had final sales of 39,461 marking the lowest mintage level for any modern commemorative half dollar. Secondary market prices saw a significant boost, although price levels have retreated somewhat.

Update: The US Mint will also offer a special product for this program which it seems will contain the uncirculated version of the silver dollar and half dollar, along with a MacArthur Bronze Medal. This should serve to provide a boost to the overall uncirculated half dollar mintage since it will be available both individually and within the set.

Comments

1. Dan in AZ says

I think the bland and unexciting designs may help drive sales lower for this one, particularly the gold coins. I do expect us to hit new lows in both the uncirculated and proof varieties. I like the decision to include a three coin set option, similar to what they did with the Star Spangled Banner set. If I was going to buy these coins (which I am not), I would certainly pick up the three coin set.

I might consider picking up the half dollar sometime down the road. While the design is poor, there’s some possibility it may be the next army half dollar and it’s cheap, so not too much of a loss if I guess wrong.

3. posterhunter says

I will be surprised if these coins do well too, the last military themed coins had rough sales and i doubt these can do any better.

Many collectors will tune these out and wait until next December to see what the sales are and speculate accordingly.

4. Larry says

I think I will pass. The design just doesn’t do anything for me. I thought last years SSB’s were a very nice design, so I bought one of those. Buy what you like! So far the only thing I am looking forward to is the West Point set.

5. Tim says

I would like it better if they made available a 3 coin unc set. Their designs I think always show up better than proof pixels. (Under magnification of course) Will probably have to settle for the proof.

6. Zaz says

It’s unclear what’s being commemorated here; the generals themselves, the fact they all are 5-star generals or the staff army command college? And what is the command college? Is it graduate school for West Point grads? If you poll 1000 average Americans, 999 of them will not have a clue that such an institution even exists. The generals should’ve been honored separately, perhaps with five clad half dollars. This coin program is a real head scratcher, trying to do too many things in the smallest amount of space possible. The only coin that is decently designed is the half eagle.

7. Leo S. says

As I predicted about a month ago, the FS and 5 oz silver would not be scheduled until after the Generals went on sale.

8. Paul says

Command and General Staff College (CGSC) is the mid-career school for successful Army officers (with representative of other services and other countries). Attendees are those selected for Major who are bound for better assignments. Frequently it is referred to “As the best year of your Army Life” About 900 (probably fewer now) per year in a good institution with their peers to share experiences and a year of being with their families for most. But a very busy year. It is good for graduate credit and I believe it has a grad school associate with a Kansas University. I did it by correspondence as a reservist (not the best year of my life). The lamp is referred to as the “Lamp of Knowledge” The half-dollar has the CGSC patch which has three lamps on it and was called “The Magic Patch” because people who wore it were going places. and I believe it is also called “The Painted Lady’. CGSC is promoting the coins to alumni. So it is going to sell to Army Officers outside the normal numanistic crowd. So sales will be different. I wonder how many Japanese will buy the MacArthur coin?

@Michael – do you know if the US Mint plans to offer any special sets associated with the 5 Star Generals commemorative coins?

10. someone says

“As Buddy Pardue used to say on the Southern Coin Club, if you get a chance to buy a coin, get the uncirculated version and let the others buy the shiny stuff. In the long run, modern day uncirculated hold their value better than proofs.”

Perhaps Dan, but it falls to an individual’s tastes. I myself prefer proofs since the proof finish (imo) better showcases the features of a coin’s designs. If max value is desired, I feel one would be better served by sticking to PM bars/rounds.

Tim,

I would like to see an uncirculated set too as a future method of release, too. When I buy commemoratives, I tend to try to buy each variant in both proof and uncirculated, because I like both styles. A two or three coin proof set and two or three coin uncirculated set would suit me very nicely.

12. Buzz Killington says

Why did they discontinue the master sets, where you got one version of each coin for the program? They used to have 4 or 6 coin sets, or even BU & Proof sets for the same single silver dollar.

13. Blair J. Tobler says

@Rick – when the US used to mint gold coins, the $10 coin was referred to as an “Eagle”. A $5 coin was a “Half-Eagle”, a $2.50 coin was a “Quarter Eagle” and the $20 coin was a “Double Eagle”. Most collectors still use these terms when referring to modern commemoratives. Hope this helps.

14. Jack says

Anyone know when the White Mountain 5 OZ is coming out? The Perry’s Victory rolls/bags are coming out in a little over a week and the 5 OZ White Mountain still isn’t out.

Jack,

According to the Mint, the AtBs are on hold until the Mint makes a decision about the mintages for the year. No such decision has been announced.

There has been much speculation from commenters that they are holding them back in the hopes of higher silver prices.

16. Rich says

Good points Zaz – this coin set really seems misguided.

The proceeds go the CGSC Foundation, how and why that came about is probably a story within itself…as the CGSC is Federally funded and there’s thousands of collegiate foundations throughout the nation. So why the CGSC celebrating its 132 year anniversary..? Don’t get it! I dare say the Mint struggled with how to approach this one…, they have to market the coins somehow to sale, so slap the Generals on it to create enthusiasm.

I think these gentlemen should be honored each with their own coin for the great Americans they were and for their huge contributions to national security and post-war reconstruction efforts…, not for marketing. Having served, the CGSC just isn’t that big of deal. Ok, I’ll shut up now.
    Is it May ’13 yet?

17. Ray says

@CaptainOverkill, thx for that info. I’m also looking forward to the 2013 ATB releases.

I dont think the price of silver is going anywhere. Jan/Feb 2013 saw all-time record demand for silver and the price actually fell. ALso futures orders were taken for more than is produced. If this was any other commodity other than PM, the prices would have gone up. Seems to me that these PM prices are set by London or Comex, and not the supply/demand equation we are all used to. I dont think I’ll ever understand how London and Comex get to their valuations for silver.

18. Robertson says

Again, if you don’t like this commemorative coin program, the design specifications that mandated five individuals be featured on three coins, blame the legislation (Congress) that created it, not the Mint. The Mint only acts on behalf of the Treasury Secretary who is REQUIRED by said legislation to produce the coins.

If you don’t like the designs, that’s fine. We are all entitled to an opinion. Personally, I like them, especially the obverses. The reverses aren’t that bad, although there were some more creative designs that were shown during the reviewing process.

Given the REQUIREMENT that the three obverses feature portraits of the five generals, with two coins featuring two generals, I can only imagine how much of a headache that gave the Mint’s artists. Since profiles have been done to death for more than a century, I find it refreshing to see more 3/4 view portraits like the ones above.

It will be interesting to see whether Eisenhower continues to command a broad following as indicated by his last two silver dollars. My guess it will have softened, if for no other reason than youngest adult generation of Americans even hardly born by the time Ike died in 1969.

19. KEITHSTER says

I think I’m in with the Buddy pardy as I tend to get mostly unc’s. Unc rolls from the banks are fun.I do get some of the shinny & pretty but not many. As for the 3 coin unc set no thanks try to keep the #’s down will ya! and those won’t help now will they? Just check the #’s & prices in the books modern unc’s rule. BUDDY WAS A SMART MAN *^* Good luck all *>*

20. Saucexx says

Ray,

The CFTC is looking into London gold price fixing much like the LIBOR scandal. I wouldn’t be surprised if Silver ends up being involved too.

I actually sort of like the $5 gold, with the introductory price I just might bite. The rest, ehh. I will say that no way it comes in lower than the Jackie Robinson. As mentioned above if sales are slow these will be hot items in December. I can see a scenario like last year when 1000 $5 unc’s sold in one week.

21. Robertson says

Just saw this on yesterday’s Mint press release:

The bureau will also offer a 5-Star Generals Commemorative Coin Program special product (product code 5G8). It will include an uncirculated 5-Star Generals Commemorative silver dollar, an uncirculated Eisenhower half-dollar, and a MacArthur bronze medal. The packaging and pricing are being finalized and will be announced soon.

While the unc. gold MacArthur might still be worth watching, anyone who thinks the unc. half dollar of this series will be lower than the 2011 Army unc. half had better think again. Given the affordability of this set (sans gold), it could enjoy fairly strong sales, which will significantly increase the mintage of both the unc. half and silver dollar.

Robertson, very good point on the half-dollar. I agree it seems likely that the combined sales of the lone half-dollar and this special set would probably propel it past the army half dollar.

You probably saved me some money! Thanks! 🙂

23. fosnock says

I’ll start a controversial statement. The only generals I can respect and who actually saw combat out of the bunch are MacArthur, and Marshall. I can’t afford MacArthur, and Marshall is next to “one of the finest staff officers in the army.” We need great staff officers but it not exactly inspirational. As far as Omar how can I support a general who who fire a general because the general was turning his division into “elitists.” because they were constantly kicking German behinds. Arnold was another armchair general. For all their faults give me the likes of Patton, LeMay, Doolittle, and Terry Allen.

24. SmallPotatos says

Omar Bradley was Patton’s second in command, if i recall correctly. I think he did see a lot of “Action” in WWII.

25. Bill B says

Bradley did begin the war as Patton’s subordinate, but later the roles were reversed.

26. CoachMike says

Bradley was the great strategist of WWII. He got his start in WWI here in Butte, MT expecting to go to France, but was sent to make sure the mines kept producing the copper for the ammo. He became the longest serving military person with over a 70-year career. I bit on his set today.

27. fosnock says

I guess that true but it would depend on how you define action. He never saw “action” as a Jr officer, and while Patton generally placed his headquarters as far forward as possible to the front line, Omar did not show up in France to setup his HQ until June 10th

28. Jerry Diekmann says

Don’t really see the necessity of any of these coins. This country is becoming so much like ancient Sparta in our coinage – everything is military or sports themed – very little else. Glad Mark Twain will be on a coin in the future. I am glad the Mint decided to put Douglas MacArthur on the gold coin. I can’t afford it and wouldn’t buy it if he were on a silver or clad coin – why are we honoring a general who had to be fired by the President of the United States for trying to usurp the President’s role as Commander-in-Chief of our armed forces. MacArthur was a pompous megalomaniac. I’m sure some people will disagree with me, but check the historical facts on this man.

29. merryxmasmrscrooge says

Some Japanese living in Japan will like the MacArthur coin, but many don’t know enough English to purchase it from the Mint. In addition, although unemployment is 4%, jobs are low pay and high hours including a grueling 2 hour crowded train commute(4 hrs both ways) where people are standing smashed in like sardines in a sweaty tin can not being able to get a seat morning-after-morning. The rest of the people work in drink bars, used book stores, or convenience stores, although many of those including restaurants have been shuttered, many places appearing blighted. After work and commute they are just too tired to do anything, so they need the wife to cook and clean the house. The economy here is just very hard and people are just toughing it out to survive.

30. merryxmasmrscrooge says

but to cone to think of it, the Mint website should be multilingual, say Spanish, Chinese and if poss., Japanese. Why isn’t it already? You just click on the language. that would increase sales for sure.

31. Rick says

Thanks Blair. I guess I was being a wiseguy. I have IH half Eagles and Liberty Head 1/4 Eagles but I could never make that stretch to equal a modern commem. to these former pocket change beauties. Besides they actually have Eagles on their reverses. I will however call my Spouses a $10 Eagle so there you go. Anyway, thanks for tha clarification.

32. jesse livermore says

That is so wrong and I disagree with it. Proof coins are way MORE worth valuewise than uncirculated. Period.

33. Rich says

I’ve really enjoyed reading these posts over the last year and half, it’s been really insightful and educational for those of us starting out in coins.

Micheal’s articles and these posts is the best source for staying abreast of things to come and current trends, so I thank you all for that! Plus, some of the humor that comes across in these comments is a good way to start each morning. You all enjoy your weekend!

Oh, but I still haven’t figured out why CaptainOk’s name always appear in big green letters along with a few others, and the rest of us in small black letter.., I want big red letters

34. someone says

Rich,

I would assume it’s because CaptainOk has a blogspot account, while many of us are posting anonymously (hence the black lettering).

35. fosnock says

Rich,
    I think he puts his blogspot under website when he leaves a comment.

@Jerry Diekmann – You are correct about MacArthrur but his combat record stands for itself, he kept US troop loses to a minimum, including Korea. Who else would have come up with the Inchon landings? Unlike Omar he landed on the beach while their was still snipers present. As far as being uncontrollable in Korea well that was one of Omar’s problem, Omar could never control his more aggressive generals MacArthrur being no exception. He would just fire them when they “got out of hand” again MacArthrur being no exception.

36. fosnock says

@Jerry Diekmann –

Per Wiki – Their is “little evidence that General MacArthur had ever failed to carry out a direct order of the Joint Chiefs, or acted in opposition to an order.” “In point of fact, MacArthur had stretched but not legally violated any JCS directives. He did violated the President’s 6 December directive not to make public statements on policy matters, relayed to him by the JCS, but this did not constitute violation of a JCS order.

Basically MacArthur was asked by a reporter if the restrictions on operations against Chinese forces on the far side of the Yalu River were “a handicap to effective military operations.” He replied that they were indeed “an enormous handicap, unprecedented in military history.”

They fired him for the statement

37. SteveDoc22 says

I have already ordered my MacArthur gold uncirculated coin. I’m hoping for a typically low mintage as with most commemorative gold coins.

38. Two Cents says

Robertson, thanks for letting us know about the Generals Special Set, but I think the press release is incorrect. It mentions an “Eisenhower half-dollar,” but the US Mint only made Eisenhower DOLLARS (circulating and commemorative coins). The half-dollar in the 5-Star Generals program is actually an Arnold/Bradley half.

I saw all the coins today in person and they look much better than the pics. The $5 is still the best, and the half the worst, but the $1 coin is nice than you might think from the pics and drawings.

40. vaughnster says

Louis–Any news about the 5 oz. ATB Silver books by Metals of the Mine? I’m still very intrigued. Thanks!

41. Robertson says

@Two Cents. Good catch. I’m guessing it’s a typo — there is no Eisenhower half dollar, at least if one assumes the legislation that created this commemorative program is correct.

@Vaughnster- The ones I received did not fit the coins well, plus the plastic got all warped. I can’t in good conscience recommend them until they improve them.

43. Zaz says

I bit on the unc. $5 gold eagle, maybe I’ll spring for the 3-coin set later, but yeah, the uncs should’ve been a 3-coin set by themselves.

My order for the 3 Generals coins was at 12:08. Last night, the Mint site said that everything was in stock and reserved. My order was in process and the cancel boxes were gone. Looks like I will have the coins next week.

45. merryxmasmrscrooge says

To Michael, Thank you for your Blog. `@Michael
    Although I was born in a small town in the US, I wanted to say I think the Mint should should be multilingual.
    The Japan Mint has both Japanese and English, so I feel America is behind. America should not be behind.
    We should at least have Spanish and if possible, Chinese. China’s econ is booming right now and they like American things.
    Since I do business with Japan, I could translate to Japanese, but do not have much time these days.
    I think Chinese and Japanese would be very interested in our coins and this would give other peoples and countries a good impression of the US.

Bottom line, the Mint would sell more coins.

46. vaughnster says

@Louis–Wow, that’s hard to believe. I just noticed on their website today that the books are only $39.95 instead of the $120 they were a while ago. It was really that bad?

47. vaughnster says

Plus they used to offer books for both bullion and numismatic coins. Maybe that’s why they didn’t fit well. That’s too bad.

@MXScrooge. Yes, the Japanese and Chinese have ancient and intriguing cultures. Americans could learn a lot from them. Obedience, respect, honor, loyalty, integrity…. Japan has one of the lowest crime rates of any industrialized nation. I am certain the culture and respect for neighbors and the elderly plays a huge role.

With that being said, yes, there is much interest and respect for Americans in Japan and China. And they would be interested in our coins. It’s a pity that the US Mint is not multilingual. We expect the mints of other countries to have English on them. The US Mint needs to realize that to increase sales, it needs to reach out to global audience….

49. fosnock says

Not sure about the multilingual mint website it cost money to maintain. The Monnaie de Paris has a nice multilingual website but the irony is that the extra language is English. The Perth Mint which makes coins in part using the Chinese language does not even have a multilingual website

Other than bullion, which the Mint only sells wholesale to distributors, I am not sure there is so much demand for American collector coins in Japan and China. There is greater demand in Europe, so should the Mint have a German, French, Italian, etc, section? Where would it end? How about a Spanish section? That might make sense, but as for other languages, I don’t think it would be appropriate. Anyway, the kind of Japanese or Chinese person who has money to buy American collector coins probably speaks English. The same is true of most European buyers. I am all for reaching a global audience, but how about starting with a broader American one? The Mint hardly does any advertising outside of a few print numismatic publications. How about running ads for ATB’s in Money magazine or whatever? Most American coins are clearly targeted at Americans if you look at the themes, but most Americans don’t have a clue they are even being made.

51. simon says

It may be helpful for coinage and numismatics to be taught as an extra curricular activity in schools. This could be incorporated as part of history, art, or economics. The Mint had a “young collectors” site which was actually quite informative. Another possibility is to have a simple lottery giveaway (e.g. a set of quarters) for kids who sign up for e-mail on mint products. There are endless possibilities to get our youth actively involved in collecting. This country does indeed have the largest coin collector base in the world and is the largest market for numismatics but is has to be sustained and grow.

52. Robertson says

I would agree with the notion that the Mint should focus on broadening its marketing base right here in America. The interest in American coins overseas is, at best, marginal compared to domestic sales. Besides, English is the universally accepted international language — those who choose to access the U.S. Mint’s online catalog more than likely can understand the language well enough to make purchases. No other languages are necessary, in my opinion.

Starting with the 50 State Quarters program, probably the best advertising to capture the attention of Americans to numismatics has been changing the designs of our circulating coins. It may be somewhat risky, however, to modify these too often… meaning, too much of a good thing can become self-defeating.

There must be other marketing strategies to reach the American people that the Mint has yet to discover. Making new coin collectors out of even 1/2 of one percent of the population would yield more than a million new folks to the hobby… a real boon!

53. Pool Shark says

Vaughnster,
    I think the reason for their price decrease is they changed the design. Th old design looked like it was milled from a single block of hardwood. The new design appears to be a simple wooden frame around a black padded insert.

Louis,
    Was the holder you reviewed one of the old style or the new style?

54. Tim says

Just don’t understand why they will not do the half in silver, the prices are too high for sorry clad. Just saying…

55. someone says

Tim,

If they produce the half dollars in silver, you do realize that the Mint would likely price it at $30+ right?

56. posterhunter says

I may be the only one that is happy with all the low mintage products the mint is putting out, although I don’t think so.

57. hi ho silver says

Posterhunter : As long as you get rid of the high minted products of yeateryear ….your fine.

58. Tim says

someone, I had rather pay 30+ for silver than 20+ for clad. Just gave the RCM 60 clams for 3 of the new wolf 20 for 20. I believe their website blew-out the other day when they were first put on sale. I also believe these will carry a premium due the popularity of any coin with a wolf on it. I do wish our Mint had a 3 coin unc set instead of the proof.

I can’t understand the thinking behind wanting an uncirculated three coin set, won’t that just raise mintage’s and ruin an offering some really want to stand alone as a sleeper?

60. Mark in Florida says

Louis said: “Other than bullion, which the Mint only sells wholesale to distributors,” Which reminded me that a few months back I clicked to a US Mint webs page page that seemed to say that anyone who can show a business license and buy $5000 at a time could become a”dealer” and get a 5% discount on all Mint products (but pay 1% shipping). It seems anyone who buys the gold and platinum proofs could qualify.

Many types of business could say they are now carrying coins, so this seems too easy. Anyone try this? I’m trying to find the page again but haven’t yet figured out where it was.

61. Two Cents says

Mark, the US Mint has a Numismatic Bulk Purchase Program, but not just anyone can call himself a coin dealer and get the 5% discount. You need to be licensed as a coin/precious metals dealer or a financial institution to be eligible (after being approved by the US Mint).

Here is the Mint’s website: http://www.usmint.gov/bulk/

Individuals (as well as businesses) can buy ATB circulating quarters from the Denver and Philadelphia Mints in their Circulating Bulk Purchase Program at face value plus a 3% processing fee. But you have to buy them in a single 200,000-coin bag ($50,000), and you have to pick it up yourself at the respective Mint after getting proper security clearances. The whole thing weighs 2,615 lbs. It would only be worthwhile if you could buy the San Francisco quarters that way, but you can’t.

62. Dan in Fla says

The mint and PBGS are on the ball this time or they didn’t have many orders. My Five Star Generals coins are on the way and I should have them by Wednesday or Thursday this week. I’m psyched about these coins. From the sounds of this blog the mintages will be low and that is fine with me. I can’t wait to see the numbers tomorrow or when Michael gets them.

Dan, I like them too, especially the MacArthur. I think the opening sales figures should be telling, but it’s still a little early to know for sure what will happen. Personally, I’ve been thinking the sales will be higher this year, last year it seemed everyone hated the SSB design. It’s way too early for this, but I’m going to take a guess on a figure of around 9 or 10,000 for the uncirculated gold. I’m going to try to buy one regardless though since the era is significant to me. My uncle was a Marine in the Pacific, another was a Captain who was captured and held prisoner by the German Government for twenty months until the camp was liberated by the Russians. Their all gone now, but I think the flag in my front yard still means something! Anyway, their nice coins, but the drought in my neighborhood is epic this year and I’ll probably contact my insurance agent in two weeks, but those are sure nice coins.

I would expect that first week sales will be fairly high. Major coin dealers often by large quantities of these new releases, have them certified by PCGS and NGC, and then sell them for large profits because they have the “Early Release” designation. Quantities above and beyond a core numbers are purchased by average collectors/dealers and the public.

Coins in high demand by average collectors/dealers tend to sell more coins that the less popular ones….

65. Jon in CT says

Hidalgo wrote on March 25, 2013 at 7:14 pm:

That is so profound … and true.

Hidalgo, if a dealer buys some of these coins and has PCGS grade them MS70 first strike, it’s not such a bad deal for me since I would have to pay to have the coin graded anyway, and most likely would not be MS70. I’m happy to pay just a little more and know I’m getting a coin that will be the easiest to turn over if I have to. I own both OGP and graded coins and enjoy them both, won’t be breaking any coins out any time soon. To get to your subject, you’re right, we will have an easier time seeing after the dust settles.