2013 Annual Uncirculated Dollar Coin Set

Tomorrow, November 13, 2013 at 12:00 Noon ET, the United States Mint will begin sales of the 2013 Annual Uncirculated Dollar Coin Set. This product has previously been offered in 2007, 2008, and 2012.

unc-set

This year’s set contains uncirculated versions of six $1 coins produced by the United States Mint from three different mint facilities. Specifically, each set includes:

• The four 2013 Presidential Dollars featuring William McKinley, Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, and Woodrow Wilson. These coins are struck at the Philadelphia Mint and carry the “P” mint mark.
  • The 2013 Native American Dollar with a design representing the Delaware Treaty of 1778. This coin is struck at the Denver Mint and carries the “D” mint mark.
  • Lastly, the 2013 American Silver Eagle. This is the collectible uncirculated version of the coin struck at the West Point Mint and carrying the “W” mint mark.

The six different coins are mounted together in a folder containing brief descriptions of the coins and specifications.

coins

The 2013 Annual Uncirculated Dollar Coin Set is priced at $44.95 per set. There is no indicated product limit and there are no household ordering limits in place. The US Mint indicates that the sets will remain on sale for one year from the initial release date or until inventory is depleted at an earlier date.

Interestingly, this set is priced only $1 higher than the individual 2013-W Uncirculated Silver Eagle, which still remains on sale at $43.95 per coin.

Taking into consideration the face value of the five base metal $1 coins included, the Uncirculated Dollar Coin Set represents an opportunity to purchase the 2013-W Uncirculated Silver Eagle at a $4 discount. This may serve to spark some greater interest in the set, which has seen lower sales since its return.

When the Annual Uncirculated Dollar Coin Set was offered in 2007 and 2008, it proved to be a relatively popular seller reaching sales of about 90,000 sets in 2007 and just under 100,000 sets in 2008.

For the following three years from 2009 to 2011, the offering was cancelled as the United States Mint struggled with silver blank supply issues. The set returned in 2012 with a release date of September 6, 2012. The sets sold out in May of the following year, at last reported sales of 28,368 units.

Tomorrow the United States Mint will also begin sales of the Ida McKinley First Spouse Gold Coins. I will provide a separate post on this product ahead of the release.

Comments

1. KEITHSTER says

I’m in for one of each on the 14th one unc set & one unc FS. gota love um tho ! Got lucky and saved a few of the new hundo’s but will gladly give them up for the lady:) Good luck be with us on these:<

2. simon says

I’m in for this set and the upcoming LESPS. I’m looking ahead to the Code Talkers medals. My RP Buffalo is “scheduled” for 11-19. That’s pretty much it for this year.

3. Jake says

Is the US mint going to discontinue the sale of the 2012 First Spouse coins soon? They used to discontinued them one year after they first went on sale.

Jake- I was wondering the same thing. Seems like the Alice Paul BU should be removed tomorrow, but I am not sure if that will happen.

I’ll add this to the other 3 in the series. It is another way to collect the Burnished silver dollar. Last year after the regular uncirculated sold out this was still available.

Off topic: I just unpacked my Rushmore 5 oz. Man are these clean! I won’t say I am overwhelmed, but the coin is quite nice!

6. KEITHSTER says

Yup let’s hope Alice takes a walk soon looks like the Perry s rolls should soon follow her into the woods? Thinking I might have to hold off on my order on the 14th and take a wait and see for a few days :):) Good luck to all:):)

7. vaughnster says

I received my Mt. Rushmore 5 oz. puck today and I think it’s the best one to date. It’s the boldest design so far and as mentioned, super clean. I can’t wait to get the bullion version.

8. VARich says

Cleveland – where you’ve been over the past 2 months, C’mon, you usually show up with some insightful wisdom to share.., ‘Yawn’ isn’t a response!

Speaking of being absent, where’s the Evil Flipper? You didn’t bug out yet, Au back in the $20- range, what’s caught your fancy going into ’14?

Common guys, what’cha thinking?

9. Ikaika says

Folks, received the Mt Rushmore ATB 5 oz today. IMHO, it is the best design of the 2013 series. Coin came with a small dent and spot on the obverse. Starting with the Perry, never had luck anymore in getting a clean coin from the mint. Maybe bad karma for returning previous ones 🙁

Could be because I just wrestled it out of the box and it is a 70 IMHO all day long. What a beast. Very bold and beautiful. Stunning example. I had a slight scratch on the plastic holder on obverse but coin is clean as a vissle…Good luck everyone else, don’t like to hear someone not getting a stunner. Took me 20 minutes to go over it with the 10X LED loupe, couldn’t find a dot out of place.

11. VABEACHBUM says

I’m definitely in for two of the UNC Dollar Set. Like ThePhelps, I’ll be adding them to the previous issues I have purchased since inception. Still bitter that the Mint didn’t produce a 2011 Set, as they had offered all of the components during that year.

I came home to find my 5 oz Rushmore waiting in the mailbox. A clean, quality piece; I’ll count myself fortunate. In hand, this design is much better than I had expected based on photos. Not like I’ve seen the actual quarter in my local, circulating coinage.

@ Ikaika – If you’re considering an exchange for that sub-par ATB-P, you might want to make that happen quickly. Given the initial sales of 14K, maximum authorized mintage of 25K, a 20K sell-out for White Mountain, and this being the last ATB-P release of 2013, I think everyone might be surprized by the final population for this coin.

I agree VBB, this design in hand is awesome. Just really cool to look at. Bravo US Mint. It is hard to think there will only be 25K lucky people in the 315 million USA to own a P version of this coin.

What I’m thinking about is what effect Janet Yellen’s words about more QE needed will have on PM’s, I think I know what the effect will be tomorrow on wall street. Also, glad that I was able to return unneeded parts to JD and have it equal what I spent on the P puck.
    I have not had any problems with bad looking P pucks since I started buying them, hope the one on the trail is as clean as thephelp’s is. Now I’m hoping that Apmex didn’t use sandpaper to clean my bullion.

FM~Glad you got a good one! But, why are you wrestling with it? Don’t you know you could pock your eye out?

I don’t know why but it is un reasonably hard to pull it out of the holder, no? Mine was…Oh, I also went NP crazy and received the 99 Yellowstone PF69 NGC #004. Nice looker also but not as cool as Rushmore..

Idono, I’ve had some trouble with commemorative dollars in older presentation boxes, but yes, I know what you mean.

Well… given that we now have all 5 of the 5 ounce pucks issued and 4 still available to purchase… If you chose to buy 1 more before they sell out which would everyone buy?

I am between FM and Rushmore myself and I am thinking I might order another in the next week. I hedged my bets on the bullion being clean and ordered from a couple of different places this time (Provident and MCM), but I am thinking this might sellout quickly – and might be one of those that helps offset my back fill expenses for those coins I missed early on?

18. VARich says

It continues to amaze me Dusty that in light of European/global finance issues, that we’ll just continue prop up this economy with easy money and kick the QE can down the road. I’m here in recession proof Northern Virginia and let me tell you, things are not good and I don’t believe any of those employment and manufacturing numbers coming out over the past weeks. When the bubble pops, it ought to be quite specular. Not going to let my 401 become my 201 another time around, if there’s a better place to be then a silver ETF right now, I’d like to hear of it.

Hope today’s dollar set sells out quickly!

19. stephen m says

so it seems people on the Blog are purchasing both the bullion and P version of the ATB 5 ounces? Is the bullion version shipped in an airtight and or a protective capsule and other than purchasing what you like which one looks better than the other.

20. stephen m says

VARich, looks to me a good 401 should be okay for the next 3 years barring any catastrophic events here in the US. After that the bubble should be quite large, but i don’t want anyone to bet their lunch money on my opinion. I have lost big also in the past with a 401K but it always bounces back over time. Good luck with the silver ETF.

21. Kraw says

Stephenm: I buy the P’s and the bullion. It depends who you buy from but provident sends them in airtites. I have gotten them from others in the past just in plastic sleeves.

Also in my experience it varies whether the bullion or the frosted looks better. The ones with animals tend to look better frosted IMHO.

They REALLY need to start using that laser technique on these 5 oz pucks. Nothing looked better than that Hawaii silver proof quarter, imagine what that woulda looked like on a 5oz puck?!

VARich~I believe the markets will be able to price in a tapper, to an extent, but I don’t know if the Fed’s actions will bring inflation to a greater degree than we can handle in the coming years. PM’s next big hike may not come until the s#*t hits the fan.
    I also would like to see the Uncirculated Dollar Set sell out quickly, but my guess is that the mint will produce enough to go around. I have been buying some graded MS70 Uncirculated Silver Eagle’s just in case there is a lower population this year.
    Stephen~I like the P pucks, but because there are two variations of the coins, relatively low mintage, affordable, and have a great consumer base, I think their worth putting the money into.
    thePhelps~Without seeing the Mount Rushmore, I would have to say that WM is simply majestic. When it comes to Rushmore, it obviously will be a hit, being that it is known and by everyone.

23. Buzz Killington says

VA Rich — you consistently say “Au” when you mean Silver, the symbol for which is actually “Ag”. “Au” is gold.

24. Nick says

To be honest I don’t like the upcoming atb’s with people on them. The first and last ones look nice, eagle w/ cabin and the Everglades

25. VABEACHBUM says

@ VARich – Like you, I’m not buying into the economic hype in SE VA, either. Even though we’re surrounded by the military industry, the truth in the elasticity of our economic condition lies within our regional tourism – which has been down from the norm and has failed to meet expectations for 3 years in a row. Folks simply are not spending the excess money they are purported to have.

I also would encourage you to be very wary when it comes to Silver ETF’s. When considering the alternatives to sheer quantities, space and security, they offer a preferred option, but some market analysts have previously commented that ETFs have been found over-selling their positions in physical metals. So, if we were to see the crash and the time comes for you to claim your holdings, you might be left holding a piece of paper. Just be careful!

@ Dustyroads – I had commented on the potential of the 2013 UNC ASE within the 11/5 Coin Update Sales Report. Given current trends and historic sales for the UNC Dollar Sets, I still believe that combined sales for this UNC ASE will be 25K-30K lower than 2012, and agree that MS70 examples should offer some future potential.

The Phelps,

I bought both the Mt. Rushmore and the Fort McHenry “P” 5 oz coins, four Rushmore and five McHenry. I could be wrong (which admittedly I’ve been wrong a lot lately), but I don’t believe they will have the full 25,000 available. My guess is they will sell out around the 20.5K mark like White Mountain did. Fort McHenry seems to be a pretty popular coin with it’s steady sales pace, and may be gone in about a month or so. Mt. Rushmore’s strong start could have it sell out even more quickly. Anyway, I put my money where my mouth is, so hopefully I’ll be rewarded with some winners this time!

Regarding Jake’s question about sales of the 2012 First Spouse coins ending, I’m thinking they will not be taken off sale just yet, not even the Alice Paul unc. No law prohibits the Mint from selling the First Spouse coins beyond their own “approximately one year” established time frame. It’s possible that there may be a “last chance” sale that will end them on 12/31/13, but even that may not happen. If the Mint produced about 3,500 proofs (based on Alice Paul’s sellout level) and maybe 2,900 uncs for each design (based on highs for 2011), it will take a LONG time to sell them all. It seems unlikely the Mint would want to melt that many coins, so my guess is sales will drag on into 2014. However, the production of the 2013’s may be cut very sharply based on the sales slowdown (and the fact that there are five designs instead of the usual four), so definitely keep an eye on those!

I just pounced on the Rushmore Bullion with Silver on the way back up it increased my order about $.50 before I could even check out! Sheesh…

28. Micro says

Nick, I’m mostly with you. I consider the Rushmore an exception however since the people are integral to the design. That’s not the case with the Grand Canyon or the upcoming 2014 coins. The depiction of people detracts from the design.

29. VARich says

Thanks Buzz – I hate it when I mix those two up, something similar happened the other while driving and I was pulled on I-95, told the Trooper I was just trying to keep up with the blue signs.., he didn’t find the humor in that. I’ll have a few less Ag coins than planned next year.

30. Nick says

Micro – I agree with you about mt Rushmore. It’s only when the people seem like sore thumbs. I had wished that they would have a bear on the smokey 2014 atb. But what do I know right?

@Brad yeah that is what I am thinking as well – although I do think the Rushmore has a chance to sell 25k simply because it is the last in production. I might buy an extra of each and see what it does for me.

32. VABEACHBUM says

Just finished ordering my two UNC Dollar Sets. After looking over that 5 oz Rushmore that arrived last night, I decided to add a second one to today’s shopping list. I still have a feeling this one will go fast.

33. VARich says

VABB/Dusty – good points, thanks for sharing. I definitely need to do some more homework.

Sequestration continues to hit this area hard with more layoffs occurring what seems to be weekly. I know companies are cutting cost like crazy which is indicative of more and more companies missing revenue but hitting earnings.., though you can only do that for so long. Zerohedge had a really good comparative analysis article about two weeks ago showing the ratio of missed earning and sales over the past several years that I’m trying to find. These market highs of late have to be emotion driven if anything, and if so, may just take an external catalyst to rebalance expectations. If there’s not some leadership on this nuclear iran issue soon, there’s your catalyst for your next pm hike in the waiting. Sorry, I’ve digressed, I just can’t get excited about that McKinley design.

34. CW says

Thanks for the tip on this coin set. The other coins will be deposited in the bank. $39.95 net plus shipping isn’t too bad.

35. Boz says

Yes i thought it odd that the silver eagle unc was cheaper in the folder than the little cardboard box. I think the boxes are falling out of favor. Oh yes, after the 5 coin silver eagle set fiasco when the coins all dropped out in shipping, the holes have definitely gotten smaller. On the puck boxes, they can be reused several times, although for the first time in a long while, my Rushmore boxes were not restickered from some prior year.

36. Jerry Diekmann says

VARich – Here’s an easy way to remember Au and Ag (gold = aurum in Latin, and silver = argentum in Latin). Think of Auric Goldfinger, the bad guy in the James Bond movie of that name, and Argentina, named by the Spaniards for all the sliver they found there – “land of silver”. For what it’s worth.

37. Buzz Killington says

The way I remember is from the episode of Facts of Life — “Au, gimme back my gold.”

38. jj says

well there is 1 less 5 oz Rushmore as I have not bought any till this thought I would buy 1 just to see it ( am a ase hoarder myself proofs ,sets , graded and ungraded ) so here is 1 that went to a new buyer of the “pucks” just like the eagles but the atb is unique

39. Eddie says

Can some one anyone please tell me why the Mint only puts the P Pres. coins and D Native American coin in this set? Why not put both the P&D’s in it? I really don’t understand this set at all but am glad they make it.