2013 Limited Edition Silver Proof Set Sold Out

As of yesterday, the 2013 Limited Edition Silver Proof Set has sold out at the United States Mint. This product carried a limit of 50,000 units.

The Limited Edition Silver Proof Set was introduced in 2012 as a new product type which incorporated some of the US Mint’s most popular silver coins. Each set contained the 90% silver dime, quarters, and half dollar, along with the standard Proof American Silver Eagle, packaged within a single protective lens and presentation case.

In the past the US Mint has offered other upscale products which recombined coins available within other formats. From 1983 to 1997, the Prestige Proof Set had contained the standard composition proof coins along with one or more of the year’s commemorative coins. From 1992 to 1998, the Premier Silver Proof Set had included the same coins as the Silver Proof Set, but in a special presentation case and box. From 2005 to 2008, the American Legacy Collection had combined standard proof coins with one or more commemorative silver dollars.

le-proof-set

The 2013 Limited Edition Silver Proof Set originally went on sale December 12, 2013. The set contained the five 2013-S America the Beautiful Quarters, 2013-S Roosevelt Dime, and 2013-S Kennedy Half Dollar struck in 90% silver and the 2013-W Proof Silver Eagle. The eight coin sets were priced at $139.95 each and carried a maximum mintage of 50,000 units.

The pricing represented a premium to the cost of the same coins as included within other products available from the US Mint at the time. The seven 90% silver coins could have been obtained from the annual Silver Proof Set and the Proof Silver Eagle could have been obtained from the 2013 Congratulations Set for a combined cost of $108.90.

Despite the disincentive of the pricing, the 2013 Limited Edition Silver Proof Set recorded sales of more than 38,000 units by mid-February 2014, when the regular Silver Proof Set sold out. As of April 27, 2014, sales for the set had reached 48,111 out of the 50,000 maximum mintage.

Following the sell out, the 90% silver proof 2013-S Roosevelt Dime and Kennedy Half Dollar are no longer available from the US Mint within any format. The 90% silver proof quarters still remain available for sale within the 2013 America the Beautiful Silver Proof Set and the 2013-W Proof Silver Eagle remains available within the 2013 Congratulations Set.

Comments

1. Pittsburgh P says

@Hildago that article states the golds sold out on Thursday but they still took orders as they normally do til the 31rst… But imo its not normal to take that many wait list orders. Again, Imo a LOT of people are gonna strike out and be none too happy!

2. Terry says

I called mint last week about my BHOF gold that I ordered at 7:15 on 3/27. I was concerned about my ship date of 7/17 and I was told I will very likely I will get coin because “there has been a lot of cancellations”. Sellout was not until 8pm. She also indicated that not to be concerned about the 7/17 ship date because there are problems with their system.

You would think there has to be something triggering Gold ship dates between the two dates of 06/21 and 07/17. I would hope to think that anything sold early has the 06/21 date and anything sold after a specific point has the 07/17 date. According to the last Mint excel file (04/27) there are still listed as 61,050 Golds sold. That is 22.1% over limit. Last week the same excel file showed 61,104 Golds sold. That is a reduction of only 54 Gold coins and I would not characterize 54 coins as “a lot” so if “there has been a lot of cancellations” it has not made it to the accounting department yet. I bet the CR people are getting a lot of phone complaints and verbal cancellations but as yet the Mint numbers do not back that up. When the Mint changes the hard numbers then I will be a believer…

4. Pittsburgh P says

Took the words out of my mouth cag…

Anyone who follows ebay. Where do I find the sold numbers of certain items at and their prices?

5. Pittsburgh P says

Also I’ve found that CRs at the mint tell people what they want to hear. Not to say she was lying to you Terry but I have had them tell me things that were lies just to get me off the phone or not ask for a supervisor… Same questions to several different CRs with different answers each time. I would much rather them tell me they didn’t know!

6. Ray says

Its been fun watching the silver coins sales numbers grow. They were going for 80 before the sellout and slowly crept above 100. now im seeing several auctions ending above 120, even a few above 130. any coin listed with a buy it now below 100 will be gone in a matter of hours, if not minutes. honestly, its doing better than I had thought. i wish i had a way to programatically extract the sold values and dates from the ebay servers.

7. CasualCollector says

@Ray — that is pretty amazing. One seller has sold 42 of the Silver Proofs at 134.70 (plus additional $2.95 shipping). And this is a Pre-Sale! Wow!

8. CasualCollector says

Forgot to add a question about the current pricing for the BHOF Silver Dollars. Would you rather buy a graded 69 Silver for $129 — or OGP for a little bit more? Based on some reported percentages on “70”‘s per batch, I think I would stick with the guaranteed 69

9. HIdalgo says

@Terry – I would not put a whole lot of faith in what the US Mint Customer Service Representatives tell you. Talk to three of them and you may receive three different responses.

@Ray – prices for the silver BHOF coins are going through the same phenomenon as the gold BHOF coins. Why? Diminishing supplies and continued demand for the coin. Once the US Mint starts shipping the gold and silver BHOF coins again, you’ll see more listed for sale on the internet. And when that happens, supplies will increase and prices will begin to fall again.

@ Casual Collector – from what I’ve seen, prices for MS69 mint products tend to be similar as prices for coins in original packaging. Collectors pay a premium for MS70 coins. Much depends on what you want to do with the coin in the future (i.e., keep it or sell it). Personally, I would rather have the coin in its original packaging. However, to each, his own.

10. CasualCollector says

@HIdalgo – yes, I would buy the 69 graded when it includes the OGP material. That’s the best of both worlds. Some of the coins OGP are so bad they need to be sent back for replacement. So you take a chance buying OGP from eBay (I’m just thinking the seller might have taken a peek at the coins before selling them — so what are the chances you are going to get a 70 OGP anyway???).

11. HIdalgo says

@Casual Collector – I am a collector, not a coin dealer. Based on my personal experience, I have found many (but not all) coin dealers will inspect their coins carefully with a magnifying glass/loupe. Those commemorative coins that they think will grade MS69 or lower are listed on eBay in their original packaging. (Some folks call this “cherry picking.).

To answer your question — if a coin dealer (vs. a coin collector) lists a recent commemorative coin in its original packaging on eBay, the odds are significantly higher that it’s been inspected and would likely grade as a MS69 or lower. (Note: there is a reason why coins in unopened boxes sell for a higher price than those that have been removed from their boxes).

12. CasualCollector says

@HIdalgo – so you have proven my point — if you are going to buy an OGP on eBay for $137, why not buy that same coin graded by PCGS or NGC at a 69 for less money (with OGP Materials included). Of course you give up the “chance” of getting a 70 OGP from the honest dealers. But you also eliminate the possibility of getting an OGP Coin that you would rather return to the Mint for a refund (if you bought it directly from the Mint).

Either way, I agree that once the Mint ships the reminder of the Silver coins it stands to reason that prices will come down as dealer supplies ramp up. Simple Supply-and-demand economics…

13. HIdalgo says

@Casual Collector – yes, it’s Economics 101 (available supply vs. consumer demand = market price). I’ve seen it time and time again. When you think about it, a mintage of 400,000 silver commemorative coins is NOT low.

Right now, we’re in a seller’s market. Eventually, there will likely come a time when we’ll be in a buyer’s market. That will be the time to buy. When that will happen remains to be seen. The BHOF coins right now are hot. However, like most hot “gotta have” items, demand eventually cools down and then they move on to the next “hot” item. The frenzy we are seeing will not last forever.

Well I could be kicking myself one day but I put my only HOF Gold Proof up on the bay sealed in the box from the mint. Probably won’t sell which is fine with me. If it does, fine with me. Ha…

15. Pittsburgh P says

Fmtrans I couldnt find your, or any, listing for a sealed box gold proof… Only sealed box was for 4 unc golds and high bid was 4785$ with 3 days left… Crazy!

16. charles says

fm, I’d be surprised too if it sells….PF70’s don’t sell near your bin price. Maybe you’ll get a good offer though. Good luck to ya!

17. charles says

fm…one last thing…you might want to add the word “baseball” before hof in your title…more people would find your auction..imo

18. Ray says

@JonInCT, I spent about an hour looking through their API and I downloaded the .NET SDK and will be toying around with it in my free time. Seeing the API documentation really got my wheels turning today.

It’s set to re list 3 times automatically and I DO have a best offer option but I hear ya. I don’t really WANT to sell it but if someone just “can’t wait” and has the cash they may choose to pay it. Could be worth triple or more on day. Only time will tell…Thanks for responding…Good luck all…

The US Mint will be selling highly-collectible coins and coin sets in the coming weeks. Sales dates are all on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

* May 6: 2014 Presidential $1 Coin Uncirculated Set
    * May 8: 2014 American Buffalo One Ounce Gold Proof Coin
    * May 13: 2014 United States Mint Uncirculated Coin Set
    * May 15: 2014 America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coin™ – Shenandoah National Park (VA)
    May 22: 2014 American Eagle One Ounce Gold Uncirculated Coin

21. VA Rich says

CC – I have a $5 PRF & UNC order 6:59 on 3/27 with ships dates of 7/07 & 7/17, respectfully; I think we’ll be good. The magic number to be in front of 20:30 pm that evening

MK – Like you, I joined NGC 10-14 days ago and my packet & coupon arrived on Saturday – a lot of good informational literature in it. Regarding the coupon, I went ahead and sent 5 coins in on Friday and just wrote – Please apply coupon for 5 free grades from associated account xyz on the submission form.

22. mgm says

That stinks… Gold is going up and up before the 2014 proof comes out… I’ll bet it going to cost more.

23. VA Rich says

Excellent article and very timely – if the $5’s don’t start shipping soon, Louis will have to do an update to the price trends later this week. Over the weekend, a bunch of OGP Proofs sold in the $1,050-$1,080 range and some Uncs $1,120+

Pittsburg P, Before this thing is over, there are going to be a lot of people saying “dunno how i missed it” LOL

25. bg35765 says

What i can’t figure out is that a little over a week ago four different auctions for PCGS 70 gold proofs sold for just over $1,000. Yet less than a week later raw coins were selling for more than that.

26. Mk says

@VaR-I thought about doing that, but I was afraid it would complicate the whole process. My packet arrived Thursday 4 hours after I sent off my coins. Lol I’m going to save my coupon and send in my Australian curved coins when I complete the set this summer.

Nice article Louis. I will be happy to keep my gold sealed in Mint shipping box for years if no takers. Anyone know where to get 5 oz Wedge Tail Eagle in OGP released in half hour from Perth?

@VARich: “Regarding the coupon, I went ahead and sent 5 coins in on Friday and just wrote – Please apply coupon for 5 free grades from associated account xyz on the submission form.” Let us (me) know what grades you got when they came back. Curious with the “free” grades…Didn’t want to wait and send in WTE with your World coins?

Funny how ClevelandRocks” circus coins” comments about the HoF’s have become such beloved tag.

Also, got my tacking # for the Silver Proof Set which was ordered via subscription.

fmt, You didn’t call GovMint? They are the ones who will have them when they’re available.

31. VA Rich says

Dusty – so true, we should actually have a little more fun and appoint titles to some of us out here, such as Head Ring Leader, Top Clown, & so on.., I suspect where I’ll fall in .. lol

FM – I only could hope to be so presumptuous with the this one in the next 18 minutes.., I’m not feeling good vibes and think it’ll be here and gone before we realize it. Oh well…

32. zeeman says

Got a call from Gov mint, 2009 UR $20 gold eagle MS70, signed by both John Mercanti and Edmond Moy, only 29 pieces, price about 6 grand.

33. DCDave says

@Dustyroads: The silver proof BHOF coin is one of my favorite in my entire collection, but I think there is a slippery slope that the Mint needs to avoid as Cleveland Rocks calls “circus” coins. I agree with Cleveland that Mint coins should be ones that seem like they can be used in circulation.

34. Pittsburgh P says

@DCDave if that was Cleveland rocks only complaint while labeling the BHoF coins “circus coins” that would be one thing. It wasn’t, he was very adamant and passionate in his argument then purchased some Silvers.I think that’s why the circus coin tag took off…

It may be a slippery slope the mint should produce coins for circulation but what’s the difference between these coins & the five ounce ATB quarters. I havn’t heard any complaints or them being labeled circus coins…. Where’s the vending machine that would take them or who is going to go into a store to spend them for 25 cents? The BHoF coins are at least the proper diameter and the clad could actually be spent(if someone wanted to pay 20 bucks for a 50 cent item). These are collectibles. That being said I do hope this is a one and done and the mint doesn’t produce other odd shape coins.

35. Mk says

Now this is one Circus show that even Ringling Brothers would enjoy…
    Step right up! Lol

Sorry absolutely DOES NOT contribute to the article. But I do think that the US Mint/Congress needs to offer up a little better selection, than say the First Spouse collections. I don’t think many people, especially worldwide, are interested in these kind of series.

DCDave, As you know, the CCAC has already voiced it’s desire for a break from traditional coinage, but I don’t think we have to worry.
    I’m fairly confidant that the US Mint will not begin mass producing curved coins any time soon. This one worked for everyone…almost, but we shouldn’t worry just yet about a wave of impractical “cereal box, token like” coins from the Mint.

zeeman, Perfect coin, but GovMint is clearly capitalizing on the signatures by $3000.

Pitts… I think at least the 5 ounce has an origin in a circulating coin. That said it probably is considered a circus coin.

I like many others don’t mind the one off type of coin such as the HOF coins – but would really have to consider future purchases of coins with jewels – colorized coins – guilded coins etc… and would probably say good luck to the mint with those. There is a reason the other mints produce and sell 5,000 of those “variety” coins. No one really even wants to buy them, so why start making them.

MK, OMG, like, I simply have to have that!!….Agree

The Micky Mouse coin reminds of a shirt my wife used to wear, I was so glad when she got rid of it.

39. GoldFishin says

40. zeeman says

Dustyroads@ i agree with you, but we all know , people pay for the label, i donot see one on fee-bay with both signatures, and only 29, hmmm, somone will pay for it.

The Mint excel file is out and a total of 89 Gold BHOF coins have been cancelled. 78 Proofs and 11 Uncirculated. . 89 cancel from 61,050 is .15%.

There was a total of 652 Silver BHOF coins cancelled. 395 proofs and 257 uncirculated. 652 from 437,851 is .15%.

That is NOT a lot of cancellations…

42. Mk says

@Dusty-hahaha! Thats funny.. @Gf- …What? No Australia Motherly love animal coins. Can’t wait to snatch up the Elephant one…It’s right at the top of my must have coins!

43. Mk says

@Gf-in all seriousness, I’m really looking forward to the US Marshall’s commemoratives. They obviously may not have the same appeal of the baseball coin but, I think others, like me, will like the old west flavor to them.

44. GoldFishin says

@MK, agreed, and if I wasn’t saving my dough for the JFK offerings I would be in there with you. By the way, my NGC registered HOF package arrived today. Haven’t opened it yet, I am trying to get out of here and go to the beach for a week. Have a good day all!

Thanks, gentlemen, for the kind words. The trend on the proof gold $5 hits me personally as I sold one just before the coins went up a couple hundred, and I also can’t explain it apart from the relative lack of supply. But it’s okay, I still did fine.
    I’ve been over at WMNB today and just saw this discussion.
    FM- to answer your question from the other blog-I personally prefer modern coins either raw or 70 and it has been my experience that for more expensive and scarcer moderns- graded 69’s sell for less than raw coins because there is no chance of getting a 70. For more common modern gold bullion even 70’s can bring less than raw coins, which I learned first-hand recently.

@CC- I suspect most of those cancellations are by the Mint, not the customer, esp. for the gold. I made this point back when the coins were released.

Has anyone had an order ship from the Mint recently for any BHOF coins?

47. VA Rich says

Louis – I have an order for 2 $1 UNC with CC pending (placed back on 3/27 ~ 3:30 pm), otherwise it’s all pushed out to June 21.

48. Mk says

@Louis-thanks for the excellent article. I’ve had nothing ship out of the mint recently only my initial 03/27 1:30p order. My silver orders placed days later currently have a rolling date of 05/20.

49. Jon in CT says

mgm wrote on May 5, 2014 at 8:36 AM:

I assume you’re talking about the 2014 American Buffalo one ounce gold proof coin which will be first offered for sale on Thursday, May 8. I predict the same gold tier prices in effect today will remain in effect on Thursday. In order for an increase to happen, the next three gold fixings (two on Tuesday and one on Wednesday morning) would have to average out above $1324. That’s not impossible, but I consider it unlikely. Curiously, there were no gold fixings today in London. I guess they take the day off to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. 😆

Thanks, Mk. Am trying to see if the Mint will say anything as this is getting ridiculous. Why would it take 5 weeks to fix a computer glitch? I know it’s easy to say it’s because it’s the government and all that, but that does not really explain anything.

51. Mk says

@Gf-have a great vacation.! I’m glad you got your coins back in time..

@Louis-Yeah I agree, they have a huge mess on their hands with the computer problems. It would be nice to have an idea when they are planning to ship them. Especially with the summer months coming up, I don’t want my coins sitting in my mailbox or being shipped back because I’m on vacation and can’t sign for them.

52. GoldFishin says

@Louis, MK I highly suspect that the US Mint, like a lot of other folks, somewhat if not drastically underestimated the demand that these HOF coins would have. If you look at the numbers of orders that have been fulfilled. Example, they are only up to around 12:40 pm EST 3-27 on the unc. gold, and around 1:30 pm on the proof gold(if memory serves me). If you do a little math and say the sellout time for these two issue was around 6:30 pm or even later as some may have speculated. It shows me that they didn’t even begin to have sufficient mintages produced that would have been foreseen such huge demand.
    Add that to all the striking dies reported that they have been going through producing these coins and I think they got woefully behind on production. For everyone that received their early orders this has been a bonanza, and for those that didn’t a frustrating excercise in patience.

53. Sith says

@Pittsburgh P – For the record the ATBs were called “hockey pucks,” and are still occasionally called “pucks.” IMHO the main difference is that the ATBs were designed to be bullion and 5 oz bullion coins are pretty common from all the mints. The mint then decided to create the “P” version coins, instead of a proof bullion coin as the other mints, but at heart they are over glorified bullion. This unlike the BHOF which was designed from the beginning as a coin.

FM- to answer your question from the other blog-I personally prefer modern coins either raw or 70 and it has been my experience that for more expensive and scarcer moderns- graded 69′s sell for less than raw coins because there is no chance of getting a 70. For more common modern gold bullion even 70′s can bring less than raw coins, which I learned first-hand recently.
    I agree except I know people have resubmitted 69’s and gotten 70’s…

FM- That is true, but in this case probably not likely. Since most of the coins came through GM and they have professionals who are sorting them, and who presumably can tell the difference between a 69 and 70, the chance of an upgrade seems slim for this issue. I have greater faith in the Aussie dealers esp. since they are not selling graded coins.

But it really is more of a preference thing in this case. I like holding certain coins in my hands (in the capsule of course) esp. high reliefs. But if it works for you, that’s great.

Any news on the French soccer coin? I am waiting to combine it with something else.

56. Pittsburgh P says

@Sith I know they are called pucks but thats in reference to the size and isn’t derogatory. I agree that 5 oz bullion coins are common from most mints… Along with colored coins, Disney and Dr. Who coins, etc… But not the US Mint. IMO the mint took a chance with the BHoF coins but it paid off. I don’t believe they are a circus coin and find the argument of them being so due to not being used in circulation ludicrous. Are you taking your a proof or Unc ASE to the grocery store or even your bullion ASE… They were basically a bullion production back in 1986 with a proof made for collectors.

57. Pittsburgh P says

I do agree the P version of the AtB pucks are over glorified bullion too…

58. Sith says

@Pittsburgh P – The post are no longer derogatory just like “circus coins” is now becoming a sign of affection

59. Jafmidtx says

Were all the HOF Silver proof and unc minted at the same facility – P or will there be different mint marks on these coins ?

Pitt P – Even the 5oz. ATB have been called “Circus Coins” and on this very blog site. That’s probably an accurate description, but it doesn’t detract from their appeal for some. The biggest reason if I recall was the 25 cent denomination. That decision still seems silly, in light of the silver quantity in comparison to other US silver coins.

Quite a frenzy over these BHOF coins. I must say I’m learning a lot about my fellow commenters that only issues such as this coin can bring out.

I believe there are going to be some upset people when the music stops, and they are holding a $1000+ quarter ounce of gold that really isn’t that rare. Well as long as money was made and a good time had by all, that’s what collecting is all about, right? Well maybe not. IMO this coin will always command a numismatic premium, what that eventually shakes out to be remains to be seen.

62. Pittsburgh P says

@VA Bob the 25 cent valution is quite ridiculous but they were trying to keep it the same as the original design I guess… Agreed that the BHoF golds will hold a numismatic premium but there will be people who will be having buyers remorse sooner than later. Personally I couldn’t pay 2 to 3x’s what I coulda paid if I just took the time to buy them from the mint. If one had to have a BHoF coin they could’ve got one like most people on this blog… Eventually when they ship.

63. DCDave says

“GoldFishin says

May 5, 2014 at 12:29 pm

If the US Mint ever goes the route of Perth or Canadian Royal mint offering every size, platform, color, pedigree, animal, zodiac sign, sporting event, nobilitly birth, etc. etc. there will be no special US Mint coins like the HOF coins. When everything is special, then NOTHING is. Having a traditional lineup is what makes it special when an anniversary set or special commemorative is issued. I for one like tradition and I think that is what separates the U.S. numismatics from every other mint in the world. It will be over if we lose it. Just my two cents.”

Couldn’t of expressed it better myself! It really makes me angry that I have only received my HOF proof silver and gold and not my UNC silver or my UNC gold (ordered one of each) that I ordered 3 hours after opening sales. It is terrible that the Mint doesn’t seem to ever have popular items in stock even the first day of release. Hope we don’t get government run health care!

64. Jack in N.E says

For what it is worth D.C Dave my BHOF uncirculated silver 1$ is listed as shipped today 5/6 It was ordered 2:30pm on 3/27. For those waiting maybe things are starting to move again.

65. Jeffrey says

Both of my orders went from shipping in June and July to May 11 to the following

Order Date: 04/05/2014 at 05:13 AM
    BHOF SILVER PROOF Expected to ship on 08/14/2014.
    BHOF SILVER UNC Expected to ship on 07/17/2014.

Order Date: 04/08/2014 at 12:15 PM
    BHOF SILVER PROOF Expected to ship on 09/04/2014.
    BHOF SILVER UNC Expected to ship on 07/17/2014.