2013 Mint Set and 2013 Proof Set Sold Out

The 2013 Mint Set and 2013 Proof Set have now sold out at the United States Mint. Based on sales figures, the Mint Set will have the lowest mintage for the product type in more than five decades.

Update: The 2013 Mint Set is shown as available once again on the US Mint’s website, so the product remains available for now.

The sell out of these two core annual sets follows the earlier sell out of the 2013 Silver Proof Set in early February and the 2013 Limited Edition Silver Proof Set in May. Various 2013-dated component annual sets still remain available, which include a portion of the coins within the full annual sets.

2013 Proof Set

The 2013 Proof Set originally went on sale March 28, 2013. Each set contained 14 proof quality coins struck at the San Francisco Mint, comprising the cent, nickel, dime, five America the Beautiful Quarters, half dollar, Presidential Dollars, and Native American Dollar. The sets were priced at $31.95 each.

Based on the latest available sales report published earlier today, sales for the product had reached 802,328. Since the sell out occurred after the reporting date, there will likely be some additional adjustment to the figure next week.

While the last reported sales for the product is at a historically low level, it fails to undercut the recent low established by the 2012 Proof Set which had sold out at 794,002 units. The 2012-dated set currently commands a strong secondary market premium.

2013 Mint Set

The 2013 Mint Set originally went on sale June 4, 2013. Each set includes 28 uncirculated quality coins struck at the Philadelphia and Denver Mints. The coins include the cent, nickel, dime, five quarters, half dollar, and five $1 coins from each facility. These sets were originally priced at $27.95 each.

The latest available figures indicate total sales of 365,408 units. Once again, this number may see some movement in next week’s report.

At this point, the last reported sales undercut last year’s final sales and suggest the lowest mintage for the product type since 1961. The 2012-dated set had achieved a sell out with last reported sales of 392,224 units and currently drives a premium on the secondary market.

Comments

It looks like the Uncirculated Set might not really be sold out after all. It’s still in the “No Longer Available” section of the website, but is active again. I think some inept employee marked the wrong product as “sold out” this morning. They meant to do the Proof Set but accidently did the Uncirculated Set before someone caught the error a few hours later.

@VA Rich, I hope they sell out of both offerings and have to re order. I would like to audit their sales receipts and see how many of each offering they are selling…

3. Ray says

For those Chicago labels, does NGC and PCGS grade and encapsulate them onsite, or do they have to bring them back to their location and mail them back? I always thought they graded and encapsulated them onsite. But after reading the instructions, it doesn’t look like that happens. People really are rabid for labels with notes/asterisks.

4. VA Rich says

You’re not josh’n Ray, $150 to grade 2 coins with a $1 face value.., geez…

On-Site Grading Fees and Instructions to get the ANA First Strike label (request label #118):

$100 per coin – Proof 1964-2014-W Kennedy 50th Anniversary Gold Half Dollar

$75 per coin – Clad two-coin set (MS-P, MS-D).

$75 per coin – Silver four-coin set if available (PR-P, Reverse PR-W, Enhanced MS-S, MS-D)

@VA Rich – based on what we’ve seen with previous releases (i.e., the reverse proof $50 gold buffalo and the Baseball Hall of Fame coins), I’d say it would be worth paying the extra dollars to have your coins certified onsite.

Hidalgo,

Please. Don’t encourage the onsite grading insanity. It just plays into the hands of the greedy TPG companies, and lends a seediness to the hobby. It also seems to imply that these show graded coins are special, which they are not. Furthermore, the show grading fees are outrageous.

7. Ips_stuff says

Not So sure someone made mistake this morning, as early this morning they had mint sold out and proof unavailable.

someone would’ve had edited both coin sets

Not j

8. Larry says

Received my 5 OZ Arches today. Looks perfect as far as I can tell. Beautiful coin. If you hold it just right, you get a pretty good 3D effect.

9. Jerry Diekmann says

Hawkster and Steve – I agree with you – this label mania is approaching insanity. The TPGs have come across their latest way to fleece buyers into thinking they have something special – the label means nothing – how valuable do you expect a first strike coin to be in 2 to 5 years from now. These labels seem to be the coin collector’s version of Cabbage Patch dolls and Beanie Babies – fads that eventually burn out, and in the end the supply is much greater than the demand, and you know what large supply and small demand does to prices. To each his or her own, but IMO these different labels of flags, bison, JFK, baseball player signatures, first strike, first edition, and all the rest will go the same way as those dolls and baseball cards did years ago.

10. silverhawk357 says

Received my 2 sets unc hof coins today (7/15) ordered on the 2nd day of release. Coins look perfect.

11. Eagle One says

The problem with these First Strike and Early release labels is that when the coin develops a nasty spot and needs to be dipped; cracking out the coin results in the loss of the label pedigree and the premium that you paid. You can’t get the FS or ER designation back on the re-grade. I see so many FS & ER labels with nasty spotted coins. Most importantly, theses spotted coins never sell. If I get an ASE that has gone to spot heaven – I crack it out, dip it, and buy the OGP. I also question the source of these spots. Is it the mint? Maybe. Is it the mass marketers that carelessly contaminate these coins with improper handling before sending them to the graders? Possibly. Or is it the conditions at the TPGs that contaminate these coins? Again, possibly. Spittle or human spit is the biggest threat to a coin. Never speak when holding a raw coin. Spittle has carbon in it and causes white spots to appear on the coin and years down the road it turns black. So, all of this handling may be collectively damaging to a coin. Also, I’ve been noticing a lot of contamination (dark blue carpet fibers, small wood particles, and chocolate like brown spatter) inside of the PCGS holders for the 2013-2014 Burnished FS ASEs that I’ve purchased in the last year. Not to mention that all have spots. Raw rare coins need to be handled in cleanroom like conditions to prevent contamination. Bottom line, the only people that benefit from these FS and ER labels are the mass marketers and the TPGs. The only way the collector benefits is if the coin never develops a spot.

12. merryxmasmrscrooge says

For me, a coin is a coin. Never slab them. Never will. To me, slabs are bulky and kind of ugly especially those for the 5ozers.
    Can see the coin well enough myself without having someone telling me the grade I should give it.

Slabs are only good for authenticating extremely rare coins which are often duplicated, counterfeited or altered common coins. Or for my grandpa who has poor eyesight but still likes to collect.

The term “pedigree” is thrown around for graded coins, especially modern ones –which are the bulk of the coin market. I would think that any coin(s) that one receives from the Mint has pedigree, even in the OGP.
    Especially for modern coins, there is certainly nothing wrong with keeping them in OGP. I never did like the term “raw” to designate an ungraded coin. It almost implys that the coin lacks legitimacy. For myself, coins in OGP are pure rather than raw. They are not subject to addional handling and contamination, as Eagle One points out in his above post, that can lead to noticeable adverse effects down the road.
    There is certainly a good argument to keep coins in OGP, especially if they are meant to be kept in private collections.

What part of this do I have wrong? Please tell me where my logic is wrong on the upcoming Gold Kennedy. Let’s just say for argument sake that 2,000 people stand in line and each buys enough coins for a total of 2,000 Gold Kennedy’s coins sold each day. Each day they are graded and get a 70 and pay the TGP’s $100 per Gold Kennedy. Total gross revenue for the TGP’s= $200,000/day. Now SOME people that have a 70 in hand go to the bay and immediately put said 70 for sale.
    What keeps the TGP’s from just bidding up the price to let’s say $3,500.00 to $4,000.00? They really don’t want the coin they just want the coin to sell for at least $3,500.00. They may buy the coin, one of their employees may buy the coin, their sister-in-laws uncle may buy the coin, or John Doe may buy the coin. They really don’t care all they care about is that “standing in line, getting a 70 grade, and selling immediately on the bay” is a successful endeavor SO that said “people standing in line” will continue to do the same thing ever year. All the TGP’s want is for said people to keep coming back for more and more and more. What part of this do I have wrong?
    Looking back at the Reverse Buffalo and the BHOF Golds sold SOME first day issue quite well but to extrapolate the entire population of first day issue by using such a small sample is not statistically sound. I DO understand that there will always be a premium for someone that is first. I don’t think that it is realistic to think that if there is 2,000 coins sold/day that Each and Every person is going to get that premium.

15. Jerry Diekmann says

cagcrisp – I don’t see anything wrong in your logic – I think you have identified the situation – and the problem – very well. The TPGs must hate guys like you and me.

EagleOne – very well said – you are also on top of the situation.

16. Jerry Diekmann says

SA4H – $250.00 for a $10.00 bat and a half dollar clad coin? What next? These guys would probably sell their mother if they thought they could make a few bucks on the deal.