2013 Proof American Platinum Eagle

Today, July 18, 2013 at 12:00 Noon ET, the United States Mint will begin sales of the 2013 Proof American Platinum Eagle. This will represent the fifth release within a six coin series featuring the core concepts of American democracy as found in the Preamble to the Constitution. This year’s design represents the concept “To Promote the General Welfare”.

gears

The reverse design by Joel Iskowitz features a depiction of Young America looking towards the future. The background of the image contains three interlocking gears, intended to symbolize the interconnection of power between the states and national government. One of the gears is adorned with thirteen stars. Inscriptions are placed in a circular border, which also includes an American Eagle privy mark from an original coin punch identified at the Philadelphia Mint.

As discussed in a previous post, within the design candidate evaluation phase, the Commission of Fine Arts had recommended an alternate version of the design without the three gears in the background, while the Citizens Coinage Advisory had recommended the version with the gears. The authority to make the final selection rested with the Secretary of the Treasury, who opted for the gears design.

While the addition of the gears makes for a much busier design, it does seem to more closely represent the narrative which inspired the coin. The designs for all releases of this series are indicated as inspired by narratives prepared by Chief Justice John G. Roberts, which provide interpretation and color on each concept. The narrative for “To Promote the General Welfare” appears on an inner section of the tri-fold binder containing the coin, and can actually be read by using the zoom feature for the image included on the product page.

silver-dollar

Previously, I had suggested that the design might work better if the US Mint utilized their new laser frosting technology to use a different level of frosting for Young America and the gears. The images do not seem to show any differentiation, however the US Mint’s product images haven’t really provided a reliable indication of how coins will look in hand. Shown above is a side-by-side of the 2013 5-Star Generals Silver Dollar product image and scan of an actual coin.

Back to the coin at hand, the 2013 Proof Platinum Eagle carries a maximum mintage of 15,000. There is an initial ordering limit of five coins per household.

The maximum mintage is established at the same level used for the 2011 and 2012-dated releases. Lower limits of 10,000 and 12,000 pieces had been used for the 2009 and 2010-dated releases. Currently, the 2012-dated coin remains available and has sold 9,595 out of the 15,000 limit.

Pricing for the coin is $1,800, which is based on an average market price of platinum within the $1,400 to $1,449.99 range. This price may be adjusted as frequently as weekly based on the market price of the metal.

Comments

Semi on topic, see how deceiving those two pictures are. The “enhanced” SE is JUST as deceiving. Just signed for my set and at first glance I could hardly tell a difference! Now to a trained eye or experienced collector, sure you will notice a difference but all those photo’s online do NOT portray this coin for what it is. It looks like a proof, as others have stated. Great to add to collection but will be canceling 2 sets on order from Mint and will NOT pay for more of these. There are just too many stunning coins being produced today by other Mint’s to buy more than one set of these IMO.This comment is of course IMHO.

All you software and photography students, invent the software that ACCURATELY takes a photo of coins and you have got yourself a winner!

3. VARich says

FM – I think the same could be said for the RP Buff. It’s going to be hard to ascertain the full extent of the detail until you see it in person.

OT: In going back and reading Michael’s post on the Buff, I see now where the ‘coin holder box’ is going to be the same as the PR Buff.., it’s the ‘outer’ box that holds the coin box that will have some leather stuff on it to differentiate from the PR outer box. Rather immaterial perhaps…, since I missed this tidbit of info, do we know if it will be priced the same as the Proof? Biz travels gets in the way of the important stuff!

4. Dan in Fla says

Yes the pricing grid in use for the proof buffalo is the same as reverse proof buffalo. I thought the box was supposed to be different in some way to distinguish it from the regular proof. That’s so cheap to use the same box and change the sleeve.

The image is a little small, but doesn’t that patch of ground liberty is standing on look rather barren? The artist could have tried grass or flowers perhaps.

6. Wdg5 says

I think I will pass up on this one and focus on the RP buff instead. I might actually hold onto the money that I would have otherwise invested on the PR platinum and maybe buy a regular PR buff instead on the cheap if the PM prices fall towards the end of the year. That would compete the set of the Regular PR as well as RP buff commemorating the 100 years of the buff nickel.

7. VARich says

Thanks Dan – an original buffalo nickel (since we’re celebrating the 100th anniversary of the design here) or a limited edition ’13 Reverse Proof buffalo nickel seated flush on the top of the coin box or within the box housing over the gold buff would have made a stellar enhancement to the offering. Oh well…

CO – perhaps it’s symbolic of Young America spring-boarding herself from the undeveloped America of what was and into the future through the wheels of government leadership…, or perhaps she’s trying to escape what’s left over when the three government wheels tax the life out of everything…, my vote’s on the latter.

@VARich: Ha, nice one…Still believe this is greatest Country on the planet Earth…

@Captain: IMO it is lady liberty on a crop of rocks near the ocean looking out into the sea for a greater future and gears of the idustrial revolution getting us there. From sea to shinging sea.

10. Dan in Fla says

I don’t know why the U S Mint opens sales to a backordered status when they could have just changed the release date. Maybe they need a deadline to produce effectively. I ordered one of these and now I need to make room in my safe. Why are the COA’s so large?

11. A&L Futures says

@ Dan in Fla

“Why are the COA’s so large?”

– it’s the Mint’s way of saying, “Hey, our premium may be through the roof, but lookie here…you’re getting a really big box/COA for your $400.00

I am not at the level of collecting with gold yet. IF I ever decided to get into gold it would be bullion, not $400 extra for a box and COA. Beware of the counterfitters on the prowl who will print out fake COA’s with early or late serial numbers. I can already see this happening based on premiums being realized for “early” serial numbers. If you are thinking about doing it, please don’t ruin our hobby…Interesting times to be a collector.

13. matt says

Hi all,

I ordered two sets and had them NGC graded. Here’s how they faired…

001 2013 W EAGLE REVERSE PF EARLY RELEASES S$1 PF 69
    002 2013 W EAGLE REVERSE PF EARLY RELEASES S$1 PF 69
    003 2013 W EAGLE EARLY RELEASES S$1 SP 70 ENHANCED FINISH
    004 2013 W EAGLE EARLY RELEASES S$1 SP 70 ENHANCED FINISH

Is that good? I was hoping for at least one Reverse to be graded a 70.

14. Hawkster says

To “coin” a phrase, is anyone “gearing up” to get this platinum coin? Will it “mesh” with the other coins? C’mon, I have to throw in a few puns once in awhile.

Well at least the mint heard SOME of our concerns about the “big boys” and issued a strict ordering limit of 5 for the first week! Bravo, now do it for the coins we all can afford and are going to buy…:)~

@matt: congrats! I think you did just fine with your grading! Too bad the RP didn’t grade a 70 but if the final numbers come in low for this set you will have made a wise choice to grade and protect your investment. BTW the retro BLACK holder NGC issued really makes this set “pop”, and, for myself, fits perfectly with my last years set.

17. VARich says

@ matt – from your personal inspection of the Reverse PF, what flaws/indications are you seeing that would indicate they are 69s and not 70’s? Thanks

18. Hawkster says

fmtransmitter,

Yeah, that 5 coin limit is pretty laughable for the platinum eagle, being that we are talking about an $1,800 dollar coin. I’m pretty sure that the overwhelming majority of buyers have no intention of strategizing to exceed the 5 coin limit.

19. matt says

I’m a newbee and didn’t see anything that told me the reverse coins would be a 69, nothing at all.

VARich says:

July 18, 2013 at 3:50 pm

@ matt – from your personal inspection of the Reverse PF, what flaws/indications are you seeing that would indicate they are 69s and not 70′s? Thanks

matt – that is where they are splitting minutia to define a coin a 69 or a 70. I’ve read it and have heard it said… when they have to get a lope and start talking in rocket science language to describe the variances… your talking about a lot of nothing.

Congrats – sounds like a couple nice quality sets!

21. tonyrigatony says

I sure hope there is a 5 coin limit for the 1st week on the RP Buffalo coins, so us little guys have a chance to get our coins around the same time there showing graded coins on T.V.

22. IPS_STUFF says

Off topic, but related to the WEST POINT eagles and grading.

I receive 5 sets from Phil ARAMARK (thanks to this website) and took out my contacts to inspect (only advantage of being extremely near sighted). This lot all looked super. I did the same thing with lot I received from mint web site order on the first day and noticed issues on a few of the coins. On the enhanced coins just above the “I” in liberty they have a small imperfection. On the reverse proof, in the field area there are a few spots that do not appear to be frosted. I would guess these issues would be enough to prevent them from being 70’s. But still very nice coins and I would not send them back.

23. Phil says

Another pun on this new Platinum eagle design:
    The gears make the coin look like the inside of a watch. Maybe that’s why Miss Liberty is on the “watch” 🙂

@Phil: Now you have touched a nerve becuase high end watches and the mechanics inside are my second favorite hobby. Grr…You tube some “automatic” watches from Patek Phillippe or other high end makers and you may get sucked in as well. It is stunning to “watch” these movements they are creating these days.

25. ann says

Samuel, had to send back twice and then cancelled to score the lower cost.
    Gouges and scrapes was the problems.

26. high low silver says

Yet another pun : I like Hawkesters 1st pun.. lol….Nice comment Phil !! I agree!! Are we off the gold standard yet ?

“To promote the general welfare,” Is that welfare as in, 1 in 7 Maybe the wheels are suggesting that someone needs to get up and go to work!

28. VARich says

I don’t know Phil…, but with all the disparaging comments made this week about Alice…, maybe that’s why Miss Liberty feels that her future is “on the rocks”! 🙂

29. vaughnster says

Re:Microscope Digital Camera– It’s only a 2 MB camera. Most cellphones have better resolution than this. I’d look for something with better resolution if you’re serious about photographing coins. This one seems like a glorified toy. My two cents.

30. Eddie says

I know this is kind of off topic I am going to get a set of graded 2013 WP set but would like to know which to get.
    NGC Black Retro Label.
    NGC West Point Star Label
    PCGS First Strike Flag Label
    Finally PCGS West Point Label.
    I am not into the labels I just would like to get a set that really looks good. I know some of you have the ones I named. So which do yall thinks looks the best? I need some help.

31. Eddie says

I kind of like the PCGS because they are optic and don’t distract from the coins themselves.

32. simon says

Eddie : just my 2c – putting aside the label and holder preference, the coins themselves should be top quality for their grade, and easily returnable if they are not. I have made auction purchases of coins which were definitely hastily / overgraded and were unsatisfying.

33. Hawkster says

VArich,

Miss Liberty’s future is on the rocks? Do you mean to say that Miss Liberty is auditioning to become the new White Rock Sparkling Soda girl? She’ll need to kneel down.

Eddie~Think inexpensive, these coins are going for a little less graded by NGC, aren’t they? You’re already going to pay a high enough premium.

@Eddie: The NGC black retro is NOT a label. The label is the West Point Star Label. The holder/slab is BLACK, not white or clear. I like PCGS slabs better as well for showing the edges of the coins etc. I also like the black HOLDER because it matc hed my set from last year AND IMO really makes the coin pop. Others do not agree but I can tell you that my graded retro slabs looked stunning. The “label” is the West Point Star Early Releases. Hope this helps.

Actually, my favorite slabs are actually ANACS. Allows for really nice viewing of the coin. I wish they had better following for being the oldest TPG in the country..

hi low~I’m not in the market for the telescopic camera, but it does seem to take good pictures in the illustrations. The Nikon Coolpix I have been trying to get good close ups with is giving me auto focus fits.

Liberty is a babe on this coin, she’s the reason we red blooded Americans get up in the morning!!

Maybe Lady Liberty is looking at the rest of the factory being shipped off overseas. Nice coin, but personally I can’t afford another PM to get into.

40. simon says

FM Tx : given the choice of slabs for a coin purchase I will definitely go for the OLD “flat” ANACS slabs. They are the best in the way of slabs IMHO – small – easy on the eye – easy to handle. I do possess a few coins in that format, and they are all graded very accurately..

41. Hawkster says

If Miss Liberty doesn’t pull up the right side of her top, we might have another bare chested lady, reminiscent of the 1917 type 1 Liberty Standing Quarter.

42. TomP in Va says

OT – In response to previous postings in this thread, I checked the Mint’s pictures of the two 2013 Buffaloes container boxes. The insert on the inner upper lid of the reverse Buffalo has a different logo of the US Treasury with no mention of the Us Mint. ?

43. VARich says

Hear, hear – Dusty! Though at my age, I don’t know whether I’d want her, or the rocks she’s planted on.., for my landscaping!

Hawkster – Top? Doesn’t matter.., it’s about to get caught up in a gears anyway.

I had big hopes for a unique/exciting offering on the Teddie Special set and fear that’s not going to be the case. It seems like in the past several years, a coin/or set perceived to be unique by the mint is either indirectly communicated by a survey or touted early in the year, e.g., MAH, ’09 Lincoln, WP ASE, RP Buff, ’14 JKF, & so on… We really heard zilch as the GS & 5 Star set release dates approached, and with really 4 months left, have heard nothing regarding the Teddie set. The previous released sets this year has left much to be desired in my opinion.., and it would be very disappointing if Roosevelt’s coins were just repackaged as others this year and quite an injustice to a great American Leader.

44. Mike says

Samuel says:
    July 18, 2013 at 3:03 pm

@anyone bought Perry’s Victory from PM recently? how abt the quality?

I have the same question.

@Dustyroads: Same camera buddy. This is what I figured out with this thing. When you have it on the close up setting and it doesn’t want to focus, which is after the first picture you take, go back in the menu and put it back to auto focus THEN put it back to close up with the flower icon. Works every time. You will see it “reset” and zoom even closer then when you hold the button half way down it will focus perfect. Took me a long time to figure that out. Let me know how you do with it.

@simon: Sometimes the OLD things were the BEST things..Especially in today’s World..

IMHO ANACS is the most accurate grading company out there.If you go to their website you can read about their history etc. They just haven’t kept up with the modern era by creating things like coin manager etc for the web. If they did, they would be right back in it. Nowadays the other TPG’s are in it for profits and the more 70’s they grade the more people will spend to keep getting them graded. ANACS IMO has never been a profit driven TPG. Maybe why our guy on TV uses them, cost HIM less.

48. TK in Minneapolis says

Ok, there is a difference between an illustration and a photo. Any good professional photographer can take pictures of coins. It can be a little tricky sometimes if the coin is older or in a case/slab and you can’t take it out. But the side by side example that Michael has shown is the mints illustration on the left and an actual photo on the right. The mint can’t do actual photos of the coins until they are minted and since they sell them before they are minted they do what I think are actually very good illustrations of the coins. Of course they will never look the same but they still give a good representation of what the coin will be.

I’m coming at this as a graphic designer with 25 years experience and I’ve also designed catalogs with coins in them and art directed photo shoots with coins. Like I said it can get tricky but with a professional photographer who knows how to light the coin you can get very good images.

49. simon says

FM Tx : ANACS is located in suburban Denver area and have a walk-in service for the locals. My 2c is that they are the only service which grades coins singly and accurately – no bulk pass-through fly-by’s like the “others”. I have various nickels, cents, dimes, and Morgans in ANACS old slabs – all excellent coins. I wish they would bring back the old style flat slab. I would also put in a word for ICG. I have some silver quartes from the late 30’s – 40’s. All very nice clean coins and accurately graded at MS66-67.

fmtransmitter~I just tried your advice, and found I had much less trouble with the focus, thank you! What I’m trying to do is fill the entire frame, I guess these cameras have their limits. This camera is actually better than a more expensive Sony I bought thinking I was getting better quality.

VARich~You have to admit she’s better looking than Liberty on the early Busted halves, but maybe not quite as good looking as Dolly Madison!

52. high low silver says

I broke more coins out of ANACS slabs than any other…..PCGS is catching up..I never had a problem with NGC so far.

53. VARich says

Dusty – Yes Sir, Miss Liberty really is a spectacular design that I hope to see again on a future offering, perhaps on the Liberty series in a few years? To be honest, had the gears not been there or this platinum coin had been offered in laser enhanced I would have found a way to pick one up.

Speaking of fascinating American women and a great catch, Mrs. Madison is at the tops! Ever catch any of the history on Dolly? Impressive! And to think all these other do nothing first wives get a gold coin too…, yeah, we’ve beat that dead horse a few times over, I’ll let it be – G’day!

Dusty – I think the problem you are having is because maybe your camera doesn’t have a Macro zoom? If you read – most cameras will zoom to like 2 to 5 feet and you need a macro option to get good focus closer than that.

TK – the mint produces examples of these coins early on. The WP set was being shown to many well in advance of the sale date – so I’m not buying they don’t have them available early for better images. That said – even if it were true, they could update the pictures once production starts and they don’t do that either.

55. bigdawg says

lets see, 2 sets @ 139.00 a piece plus 4 eagles grade at 4 x whatever they charge.each set has around 40.00 silver value ,protect your investment ,i have a bridge in brooklyn i would like to sell to some of you guys if you think that is a good investment

bigdawg – you lost me at “lets see’ – because I couldn’t see what the rest of your ramblings had to say.

VARich – if you want to see a good coin set – the Dolley Madison commemorative – designed by Tiffany will definitely fill the bill.

58. Blair J. Tobler says

I think bigdawg is saying that wasting your money on these ripoff TPG’s is about as good an investment as buying the Brooklyn Bridge – and I wholeheartedly agree

59. Eddie says

The WP sets I have all look perfect and I believe they would grade 70. I mainly get the graded slabs for the (S) & (W) billion you know that is the only way to make sure that you do have the (S) billion. I always get the First Strike Flag label just so they will match.

60. Taribor says

TPGs are being ruined by the side deals with the wholesalers. I’ve gotten PCGS 70 coins with spots all over them, large hair inside the slab, etc. TGS have become an assembly line for wholesalers, which is sad to me because I think do/did have a place in the market, especially with old or valuable coins.

@Dustyroads: You are welcome friend. This camera is awesome. For outdoor adventures it takes stunning photographs. I left Sony many moons ago, junk IMO. To “fill” the screen you may have to turn in sideways or try playing with the panoramic mode. The booklet is huge and these point and shoot cameras have a ton of features IF you know how to use them. The problem is the “time” it takes to learn them all. I liked that “coin camera” someone posted. My little Nikon has worked just fine for what I need it for.

Again, I see no reason owning more than one of these 2013 WPSE sets so 2 less orders from the Mint for me. I got my graded 70’s, on to better pastures…Maybe lady liberty and I can go for picnic lunch on the mountain side..:)~

@Taribor: I would returning them bad boys for a full refund! Geez, long hairs inside..eww..

63. VARich says

thePhelps – thanks, appreciate it! These older Comms have really grown on me and more representative of American history and values IMO.

I believe VA Bob mentioned the TJ set that’s also now on my list. When it cools off, I’ll have to make my way down to Montpelier and Monticello to see the real deal. JFK, IKE & Teddie seem to have a following out here, if so, you may want to stop in at the NRA museum in Fairfax VA, the personal exhibits are quite impressive! Actually from a historical perspective, the whole thing is amazing.

64. Hawkster says

Taribor,

Maybe graders should wear a hair net in addition to latex gloves, neither of which they bother with now. I’m sure there has been instances of other body remnants besides hair in the slabs. Also, their breathing vapor probably has a detrimental effect on the coins in the slab.

65. VARich says

Taribor / Hawkster – hair nets and gloves should standard issue at the mint as well – I’ve had to return a few sets for a half a thumb print or a nice strand in a silver mint proof set – sad! Hopefully you sent a photo to the TPG to incentivize better quality control.

66. VARich says

So following next year’s release, do we know what the new theme will be for Platinum series?

We have a while before the 20th anniversary set in 2017.

67. Hawkster says

VARich:

Maybe the Mint sent you a special bonus in that silver proof set in the form of a presidential hair strand–perhaps Washington’s, Jefferson’s, or Lincoln’s. Have you considered sending it to a TPG company for their special DNA authentication?

68. CW says

I love how people are upset about the RP box. Seriously?! I am buying the coin. not the box.

@CW: Not upset, just disappointed. We know we are buying a coin, it is just the fact that there is a theme or trend beginning to develop here with the Mint, and we all seem to be on board with it. The packaging has deteriorated tremendously from offerings in the past. In my case, I look at some of my late 80’s and early 90’s commemorative coins and proofs and the Mint seemed to do a dandy job of reducing the pain you feel when you pay more for something than it is actually worth, a little less painful by putting them in nice velvet fancy boxes, pewter eagles on the outside, COA’s, like expensive jewelry would come in..