2013 Theodore Roosevelt Presidential Dollar, Other Coin and Medal Appearances

On April 11, 2013 at 12:00 Noon ET, the United States Mint will begin sales of circulating quality 2013 Theodore Roosevelt Presidential Dollars. This will represent one of the more anticipated releases of the series, as coin collectors have long advocated for the 26th President to make an appearance on a legal tender U.S. coin.

Roosevelt Dollar

The Theodore Roosevelt Dollar features a portrait of the President, which is indicated as designed by Joseph Menna. Inscriptions include the President’s name, “In God We Trust”,”26th President”, and dates of service “1901-1909”. The reverse of the coin features a rendition of the the Statue of Liberty designed by Don Everhart, with inscriptions “United States of America” and “$1”. The date, mint mark, and “E Pluribus Unum” appear on incused edge lettering.

The US Mint will be offering circulating quality examples of the coins containing either the “P” or “D” mint mark. These will be available in an array of different options.

There are 25-coin rolls priced at $32.95 each, 100-coin bags priced at $111.95 each, 250-coin boxes priced at $275.95 each, and 500-coin boxes priced at $550.95 each. All options can be ordered containing coins with either the “P” or “D” mint mark. All products will have packaging which indicates the name of the President, mint mark, and the face value of the contents.

There are no stated product limits or household ordering limits imposed. The US Mint indicates that these products will be available for one year from the initial on-sale date or until inventory has been depleted.

Preliminary production figures indicate a mintage for the 2013 Theodore Roosevelt Dollars of 3.92 million at Denver and 5.18 million at Philadelphia. In the past, the US Mint has reserved the right to restart production during the year of issue in response to product demand as long as production capacity is available.

The US Mint has previously indicated that a special numismatic product will be issued to honor the life of President Theodore Roosevelt, which would presumably contain the dollar coin and possibly other items. Further details of this product have not yet been announced.

Theodore Roosevelt on Other Coins and Medals

Despite Theodore Roosevelt’s accomplishments as President and his role in bringing about a Renaissance in American coinage, he has never been featured alone on a legal tender U.S. coin. However, he has made some mini appearances on coins and appeared on some widely known medals.

coins

The “mini” appearances are the result of Theodore Roosevelt’s depiction on Mount Rushmore, together with Presidents Washington, Jefferson, and Lincoln. The 50th anniversary of Mount Rushmore was celebrated with a 1991 commemorative coin program, which included $5 gold coins, silver dollars, and clad half dollars. The obverse designs of the silver dollar and clad half dollar included an image of the monument, including the sculpture of Roosevelt’s head. A similar situation occurred on the 2006 South Dakota State Quarter.

saint-gaudens

Augustus Saint Gaudens designed Theodore Roosevelt’s inaugural medal shown above. The President was so pleased with the results that he asked Saint-Gaudens to work on new designs for circulating gold denominations, ushering in the renaissance era of U.S. coinage. The reverse design of this medal was the basis for Saint-Gaudens’ reverse design for the new $10 gold eagle.

presidential

Roosevelt’s Presidential Medal created by the United States Mint is shown above. The obverse was designed by Charles E. Barber, while the reverse was designed by George T. Morgan. Bronze versions of this medal have been available for purchase from the Mint for a lengthy period of time, although they are not available currently.

Panama Canal

Another widely known medal is the one shown above designed by Victor D. Brenner and issued at the completion of the Panama Canal. The medals were awarded to anyone who had provided two or more years of continuous service working on the canal.

nwrs

Finally and most recently, Theodore Roosevelt was featured on the obverse design of medals issued to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the National Wildlife Refuge System in 2003. The US Mint offered limited mintage silver medals and bronze versions with no production limit. The silver medals were extremely popular at the time of issue and achieved quick sell outs. I previously wrote about the medals here.

Comments

Nice article… I think they should have done a better job with the image of Teddy on the dollar. Even a 3/4 profile would have served better than the side view of his face. It is one of the only drawbacks to the presidential dollars I have so far – the profile images are just not very good. (IMO)

Nice discussion of past works with Roosevelt on them. I’d heard of his inaugural medal from Saint Gaudens before, but I had not seen a picture of it until now. I am surprised we have not seen more coins/medals with Roosevelt on them given his relative popularity.

Anyone planning to pick up some Roosevelt dollar coin rolls tomorrow? I’m thinking this release has a shot at performing fairly well in sales.

3. vaughnster says

@CaptainOverkill– I’ll be ordering a roll of each Roosevelt dollar coins tomorrow. I’ve been waiting for this release to also order some other low priced items I’ve held off on, to save on the shipping costs. I think this will be a big seller also. I’d love to by the bronze medal of T.R. if the Mint produces it again.

4. Ray says

I havent ordered any presidential dollar rolls, but I will be making my first order for some Roosevelts. I’m more into the Native American coins, but I’m a big fan of Teddy’s, and I like the image on the obverse of the coin. I was hoping they would make a gold or silver Teddy coin. I wish they would make a gold coin for each of the presidents. Personally, I think its odd to have the spouses on gold and the presidents not. I think that program would have done a lot better with the presidents and not their wives. I understand the importance and power of the first ladies, but I dont admire them like I do our past presidents.

5. simon says

The Roosevelt dollar coin release is a great opportunity to appreciate his seminal role in US coinage, and to acknowledge all the excellent and unique products offered over the years by the US Mint !

6. old folkie says

Vaughnster,

I see your thinking is in line with mine. I have a bunch of AtB quarter roll sets I am moving to catch up on (including the three-roll White Mountain set). I plan on doing one big order tomorrow to keep my shipping costs down.

@Ray – keep in mind the presidential dollars were intended for circulation. I do find it odd though that we are doing gold for the spouses – might have made more sense for those to have been bronze pieces now.

9. Ray says

good point @thePhelps. seems like the 5oz AtBs should weight 3oz to make them a quarter of a troy pound. then 5oz presidential silver would have been perfect imo, thats how i would have designed those programs.

10. Brian says

Off-topic question: Is the introductory pricing for commemoratives a relatively new thing? If so, what year did it start?

I was looking at some weekly sales reports from past years and noticed a pretty steady decrease in orders per week, not a big drop-off as I would have expected.

11. Two Cents says

The Presidential Dollars will see a surge in popularity in the upcoming years, when the presidents that most people remember will appear, such as Franklin Roosevelt, Truman, Eisenhower, and so on. Many of the previous presidents are relative unknowns to the now-living public, and the same is true for their spouses.

Starting in the next two years, the presidents and first-spouse coins should have extraordinarily high sales, and the earlier coins will be sought after, possibly raising their value.

12. Rich says

Speaking of pricing, we’re inside the 30 day window release date for the WP ASE set, may be by Friday we’ll have a big question answered…

Two Cents,

I’m expecting big things from Teddy Roosevelt, FDR, Kennedy, and probably Reagan. Not too sure about Eisenhower, especially given the sales of the generals commemoratives.

@Brian – the introductory pricing has been there for a long time. Many mint products used to get a discount for buying early.

15. Greenback says

Theodore Roosevelt Dollar would have made a better front to the ATB series than the Washington quarter IMHO. It’s too bad they did not go that way, but I suppose they wanted to capitalize on the popularity of the State Quarter program.

16. Jon in CT says

old folkie wrote on April 10, 2013 at 11:21 am:

Roosevelt was popular with the people, not politicians, not even in his own Party, hence he will never be given the credit he is due. He is exactly the kind of President we desperately need today.As I recall from history class, he favored stronger unions and expansion of Federal regulation of commerce. He proposed income taxes and inheritance taxes and signed the law creating the National Monetary Commission to study implementing Europe-style central banking in the US, which led to the creation of the Federal Reserve five years later. He lambasted bankers at every opportunity and I’m sure he would approve of what today’s President is doing.

17. VABEACHBUM says

O.T., and I’ll apologize in advance. It is related to Presidents, though…

Just finished viewing the ECI Website (US outlet for Downies), and saw on their Coming Soon page that they are referencing a “JFK 50th Anniversary Set” that is to be released by the USA and is anticipated available for sale at ECI by mid to late April.

Granted, the 50th Anniversary of his assassination will be this November, but I’ve yet to see any single indication through our normal US Mint sources that something like this might be coming.

Supporting the plausible deniability of a special issue is the fact that the standard annual issue of the UNC Collector Rolls of Kennedy Halves is rather late this year when compared to previous.

So, issue a special, 3-Coin Set (S, P, D) with the UCN P & D also being 90% silver, or something similar, then the end of an era?? Any other rumors and innuendos out there??

18. Ann says

What about the US Mint restricting the release of 2013 American Eagle West Point Two-Coin Silver Set to 30 calendar days, butt three set per house hold
    per week. Keep the big boys out and please the collector??

19. Jerry Diekmann says

The Mint (or rather Congress) has missed several opportunities to honor Teddy Roosevelt. Once was in 1998 on the 100th anniversary of he leading the Rough Riders to victory at San Juan Hill in Cuba during the Spanish American War. Another time was in 2005 in honor of the 100th anniversary of Roosevelt receiving the Nobel Peace Prize. Perhaps the biggest oversight was in 2008 to mark the 150th anniversary of his birth. This was especially sad since there was only one other coin program that year, instead of the normal two, for the American bald eagle. Maybe these so-called “leaders” could at least honor this great man on the 100th anniversary of his death in 2019. Few people recognize that Roosevelt was only 60 years old when he died. As one of our greatest presidents, he deserves to be honored on both circulating and commemorative coinage.

20. Dan in Fla says

The baseball three coin contest opens today. Get your artistic designs in early. As for me I can’t draw a straight line let alone an engraved concave coin.

21. vaughnster says

@Jerry Diekmann– I totally agree. He is one of the four presidents on Mt. Rushmore and yet has appeared no where near the amount of Washington, Jefferson and Lincoln on coinage. It’s not right.

@Ann – I’ve heard the 30 day release – but have not read anywhere that there was a set limit. While there very well could be – I actually hope there is – I do hope it keeps the 2nd party resellers collections smaller. As a private collector – I am looking forward to the release – limits and limited release and all.

23. merryxmasmrscrooge says

A front view of Mr. Teddy Roosevelt’s face woluld have been better.
    For the FS gold I can’t afford it, but Eleanor Roosevelt gold coin will probably be a winner.

24. Brian says

@merryxmasmrscrooge – that depends on your definition of a winner. Will the Eleanor Roosevelt coin be a higher mintage than we have been seeing? Almost certainly. So it will be a winner for the mint.

But will it be a winner 30 years down the road? I doubt it. The Roosevelt, Jackie Kennedy, Martha Washington, etc. will always track the price of gold plus a small premium.

The long term winner is going to be one of the 2012 or 2013 FS coins that will have the lowest mintage of the set. The hard part is that at $1000 a piece it is an expensive gamble to make and won’t likely be good for a quick flip.

I’m not sure I want to tie up $1000 in a Frances Cleveland or Caroline Harrison and sit on it for 5 years when I could buy 5 of the Silver Eagle sets and hopefully flip them two months down the road.

25. A&L Futures says

Just wondering if anyone else is watching the PM landslide.

Humm…to buy or not to buy?

Wow, gold is below $1,500 at the time of this writing. Too bad it probably won’t hold until the 2013 First Spouse coins are released. I’m betting they will all be crammed into the final quarter of the year just like the 2012’s.

27. Michael in Bama says

Look at silver……………. off $1.50. What is the mint waiting for? At $244.95 the ATB’s are gonna be a tough sell !!!

28. fosnock says

@Rick…thank goodness for small miracles

@Brian – This is the panic and capitulation…if you wait any longer for silver you will not be able to order dealers are simply running out of it, and if they have it it seems to be on back order. That is my 2 cents anyway.

29. A&L Futures says

Hopefully the U.S. Mint will take notice.

With less than a month to go it will be interesting if/when they [the Mint] publish the price for the highly anticipated 2013 American Eagle West Point Two-Coin Silver Set.

@ Michael in Bama – at today’s prices, the 5oz AtB pucks are ridiculously overpriced. (SPOT $26.49 / oz x 5oz = $132.45)

30. Mark in Florida says

Maybe this drop will give us a better price on next week’s gold eagle proof sets. If the Mint does not postpone them!

31. Ray says

wow. wonder if both platinum and gold will be reduced next wednesday.

they need to add silver to that repricing chart.

To the folks wondering whether to buy, my suggestion is to wait and see how this shakes out. I did not think we would, under any circumstances, fall under $1500/$27 but that appears to be just what’s happening. Honestly, I have no idea how much further we could fall. We may be in for further declines.

It will be interesting to see if the latest price collapse slows down silver purchases, though I am inclined to think it will accelerate. We’ve had months of steady price declines and it doesn’t seem to be deterring buyers.

Zero Hedge is attributing this to major problems in the Japanese bond market: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-04-12/japanese-bonds-vs-gold-why-commodities-are-selling

Rick,

Haha, I remember him. This blog is very different from when I started following it in late 2009. 🙂