2013-W Enhanced Uncirculated Silver Eagle Revealed

Later this year, the United States Mint will release a product tentatively known as the “American Eagle West Point Two-Coin Silver Set”. After the set first appeared on a preliminary product schedule released in December, some basic details of the offering were revealed.

The occasion for the issuance of the set will be the 25th anniversary of the West Point Mint gaining full mint status. The facility had originally been constructed in 1937 as the West Point Bullion Depository and served as a storage facility for silver bullion. In 1980, the facility began striking gold medallions and in later years gold and silver bullion and numismatic coins. The facility gained official status as a branch of the United States Mint on March 31, 1988.

Preliminary information was provided regarding the contents of the set and its period of availability. It was indicated that the sets would be available during a one month window open from May 13 to June 13, 2013 (now indicated as “May/June” on the product schedule). The two coins included in the set would be struck at the West Point Mint with the “W” mint mark. The first coin would carry a reverse proof finish, while the second would carry an uncirculated finish. With regards to the second coin, it was further indicated that the uncirculated coin would be different in some material way from the regular uncirculated coin offered separately.

Since this time, collectors have been speculating about how the uncirculated coin included in the set would differ. Within comments, some readers had raised possibilities such as moving the mint mark or adding a privy mark. The actual difference is something else entirely.

James Bucki, who is the About.com Guide for Coins, visited the West Point Mint and had the opportunity to witness the striking of the first 2013-W American Silver Eagle to carry the new finish. He has granted permission to include the following photo of the new “enhanced uncirculated” finish. Follow the link for larger images and his description of the coin.

enhanced-uncirculated
Image (c) 2013 James Bucki. Used With Permission. See The 2013-W American Silver Eagle Enhanced Uncirculated Coin

The enhanced uncirculated finish is certainly very distinctive from the typical uncirculated finish. Certain aspects of the design are mirrored, others are frosted, and the background fields are lightly frosted. This creates a much different impression of the design that has become familiar to so many collectors.

In recent years, the US Mint has increased the frequency of issuance for special sets incorporating Silver Eagles. This started with the 20th anniversary set issued in 2006, followed by the 25th anniversary set in 2011, and the San Francisco Set issued last year. Each of the sets had basically used the same playbook of alternating between reverse proof, proof, and uncirculated coins with varying mint marks. By creating a completely new type of finish, the upcoming 2013 West Point Silver Eagle Set may gain some greater attention.

What do readers think of the new enhanced uncirculated Silver Eagle? Provide your thoughts in the comments.

Comments

1. simon says

My congratulations to the US Mint for a well thought, unique, and appealing variation on the ASE theme. Sure to be a gem to behold for years to come for us collectors. Thank YOU USMint !

2. Jack in N.E says

Very interesting,.I was originaly going to pass on this one.The final price will dictate wether I buy it or not.

3. Ray says

I like the reverse proof better than the enhanced uncirculated, but I’m happy its more than just the standard uncirculated AE. I’m hoping I’ll be able to trade one of these sets for a san fran set.

4. CW says

What is strange is that my mind seems to fill in the ‘colors’ on the design. This looks like a winner.

5. Kraw says

I give the mint credit, when they said initially that the special W uncirculated would be ‘different’ somehow than the the regular, I thought they would just do something like put the mint mark on the obverse. This is something truly different though…good job mint. Now don’t charge $150 for 2 oz of Ag!!

6. Keith says

I’m also impressed. I wonder if the chances are higher for error coins with such a complex finish.

7. Ikaika says

The enhanced ASE would definetly be a plus for the West Point ASE set. Looking forward to it.

8. VABEACHBUM says

I definitely like what I see based on the one set of pictures and the articles that are available. I think The Mint previously had demonstrated their ability to take on this type of intricate finish when they issued the 9-11 Commemorative Silver Medal, which showed a great use of changing, adjacent finishes within the waterfall. This out-of-the-box approach should a great way to revitalize the life of the ASE series. I am just so extremely happy that The Mint did not stoop to the use of colorizing on this venerable coin!!

@ CW – you are not alone w/ the colors. I found the “About” article this morning from the link in Michael’s CoinUpdate. The perception is even more pronounced with the larger pictures.

@ Keith – that was my second thought. Given the recent Plat Eagle test strikes that were mistakenly released into the production lots, I was thinking this coin might lots of opportunities for errors and varieties. As the articles make reference to “hand loads” and “visual inspections,” could get interesting.

9. joe says

I tend to gripe about the the Mint’s crappy commemorative coins, but this is a very nice coin. I do applaud the Mint on this one!

I must admit to being very impressed. I had been planning to pass on this year’s “special” set but this has made me reconsider. This is a very attractive-looking piece and I would definitely like to see more photos of the coin when the mint makes them available.

Still would like to see a high relief proof silver eagle, but this appears, at first look, to be a worthy piece. This is the first genuinely good news I’ve heard out of the mint in awhile. I agree with most everything VABB said as well in his comment above.

11. Brian says

Beautiful! I’ll take one…maybe a few depending on the price.

But after this year I hope the mint takes a break for 2 or 3 years and releases only the standard 3 Silver Eagle coins. (proof, burnished W, and bullion)

Constantly producing “special” versions makes them less special and cheapens the entire series of Silver Eagles.

Brian,

It depends. They could, potentially, do a yearly “rotation” where they play with the design and try something new, like they’re doing with the enhanced uncirculated. There are plenty of options as you can see when looking at other world mint products. The most obvious one for me seems like a high-relief proof silver eagle.

So, I don’t think doing one special set per year is too bad. Now, if we start getting situations where they sell singles of the proof silver eagle, the uncirculated silver eagle, the enhanced silver eagle, the high relief silver eagle, a colored silver eagle, a glow in the dark silver eagle, etc as yearly annual products that might be problematic.

Reminds me of colored coins. With that being said, maybe if the US Mint had different flavors of American Silver Eagle coins, it could create color variations, some being more rare than others. And some of those variations could be more rare than others.

That would then allow the US Mint to increase its revenue so that consumers could be more than one ASE coin.

Wow!

Great coin!

But guys…$149.95?….I seriously doubt it. With two “special finish” coins, I bet this set is $179.95

Let me explain my thinking…last year at $150, you did not have two $75 coins. You had a $60 regular proof and a $90 reverse proof. This year, you have two $90 coins.

16. Gary says

Hopefully $224 plus….shut the door on some people and keep the mintage low! Say…100k with a 5 per household limit!
    HAHAHAHAHAHA
    I would love another 2011 repeat! It worked out great for me!

17. Boz says

299.99 after spot silver goes under $25/oz

They figure why should ebay get the money…treasury needs it to offset the continuing loss leader of the penny and 5 pieces. Treasury needs it to susidize losses of printing dollar bills at a loss.

Steve,

I am afraid of them trying to jack up the prices on this, yes. I am hoping the backlash they got on the price increases might make them gunshy about boosting it to $180+.

19. Boz says

Or you could get it from coin vault for $999. They will also have a signed mint former director of fired former marketing director for 1500 in 69 or 3k for the slabbed 70 version. Put them in pink core special edition holders for $6k.

20. simon says

I hope that customers will NOT submit these to TPGs for their redundant “second” opinions. It will hurt to see these in anything besides OGP. These coins will look awesome as Mint original issues !!!

21. Shutter says

Maybe I’m completely confused, but if this coin is struck multiple times, on specially polished blank, and handled individually, why are they calling it “uncirculated” and not “proof”?

22. Neblackshirts says

With the mirrored fields I wonder if NGC/PCGS will call it a proof coin. Sure looks like a proof to me, and I bet she will look a whole lot better in person especially in 70. I’ll also wager we’ll see this finish again in future issues of the ASE. Should be a great looking set this year. Sales ½ million plus.

23. Kevin says

Mintage levels for this coin set will be over 500,000. The price is still unknown but this set is going to be extremely popular and have mintages over 500,000. Any other guesses to we’re this mintage levels will be???

24. EvilFlipper says

I totally agree with the thesis that there is a huge potential for
    Errors. Maybe ill get 10….. Just in case;)

25. Addielise says

Totally agree that the set will not be less than last year’s $149.95 price. Silver may be down compared to this time last year, but who knows what expenses were involved with developing this new coin? If they want to avoid total backlash they’ll go $159.95 at best, but I wouldn’t be shocked if it’s more either.

I also expect that Kevin will be right about the mintage estimate, provided the Mint doesn’t jack up the price, and provided the new coin looks as good as it sounds. The SF sets would have come in at 250k if the quality wasn’t so bad, and WP makes top quality ASE’s in comparison. Add to that a few of the large internet dealers who passed for the most part on the SF sets and that’s a huge increase right there.

26. EvilFlipper says

If its the only year for this type of silver eagle (and I surely hope it is) then its a winner no matter the mintage…. Unless its over a million 🙂

27. stephen m says

Kevin, I think if the price is higher than the 75th S.F. sets and the market price of silver stays the same as now, or lower, sales will be around the same as the 75th S.F. sets. Plus i haven’t heard if the reverse proof or the enhanced uncirculated coin from the W.P. sets will be offered with any other offerings from the mint which if they are will turn off some buyers? But it should be a nice set.

It is a nice looking one, need more pictures though. I’m guessing a higher price than the SF set last year, around $170.00. I will be surprised if mintage is not 500,000.

It’s intruiging, but we really need better images to see what it will actually look like. The fields will oviously not be black like in the photo. Otherwise it would be colorized coin, which was also my first impression. And this should only be done once.

30. Ann says

Great jop US Mint! A real winner here, especially if offered at
    attractive price of say $150.

31. Ron says

Ditto the above on design & execution. Nice piece and the Mint seems to be mindful the collectors (and profit!). Just one question. Speaking of errors, will all the reverses have that partial fingerprint between 5 & 6 o’clock as in the piece in the photo? 😉

32. Jerry Diekmann says

Since it looks like palladium bullion coins will not be minted, why not consider a palladium eagle set for 2014? The mint can recover what it spent on that study that was doomed from the start.

33. DNA says

Looks much more like a special type of Proof in those pictures.

Can’t wait to see it in hand!

34. george glazener says

OT, but why are Denali & Chaco 5oz ATBs falling in secondary market value? They’re either sold out, or soon to be, mintages are known to be very low, 15k or thereabouts, and still they seem to be dogs all of a sudden….Logic would dictate that people would be sorry they missed it from the MINT and would want to snap up one up at just a few bucks over original issue.

I can’t figure this out. What am I missing?

35. Zaz says

@george: when 4 of the 5 sell out in a short time frame, people lose interest because they are not one off coins, and are generally collected in a set. Only collectors that have a fond memory of a specific park will chase after a single coin. Collectors in for the series will have gotten these from the Mint for $205 or $230, they would’ve have been unlikely to chase after them with the inflated premium. From the get-go these were not easy coins to flip unless you were at the right time and place. Remains true today. Hawaii will also drop due to lack of interest and then will level off in a year or so, maybe Acadia and Denali will follow suit then.

The enhanced uncirculated “proof” looks to be a winner for this year.

36. Natatack says

Most likely the TPG’s will give it a special finish designation. Hope the West Point coins won’t have the problems my SF coins had (scuffs, pits, black spots) from last year. Hope they keep the mintage fairly low 100-200K.

37. george glazener says

Zaz; that makes a lot of sense. Sure wish I’d talked to you 2 weeks ago. Makes me wonder what the long term growth potential is, say 5 years from now.

38. Bill B says

Like most everyone else, I am impressed. I will buy two or three, regardless of the final price tag.

39. Bill B says

40. posterhunter says

The flippers pile into the last coins to sell out and have to dump inventory so prices fall.

41. posterhunter says

Without knowing how many sets they plan to sell of the enhanced sets it is hard to say how well they can do. Last years 2 coin set is treading water and barely holding up right now.

42. Ikaika says

It seems like it will be a hybrid between a proof and a bullion or burnished coin. The dark regions seems to be mirrored.

43. Michael Gilmurray says

The United States Mint is the only sector of a branch of the goveernment that can actually keep a secret. Slowly creeping to the path of sparking an interest in collectors again. ’06 the reverse proof did it but then they beat it into the ground without exploring alternatives to keep the momentum.

George Glazener, could it be that we are missing a smaller consumer base than once thought.

Last year I watched the SF set sales #’s for a while before I bought, I don’t think I’m going to be able to wait this year on this hybrid Eagle. This coin just may be a hit regardless of a slightly higher mintage!

@George Glazener – the fall in secondary market values is a matter of supply and demand. Economics 101. I have mentioned this several times.

You’ll find that when a paritcular coin sells out unexpectedly (thereby preventing others from stockpiling huge supplies) or a coin has high demand (e.g., the special gold eagle UHR), secondary market values increase and remain high.

However, when the public knows or suspects that quantities are limited, buyers will stockpile supplies before a sell out. So quantities remain high when such coins are sold on the secondary market. Higher quantities mean folks are less willing to pay higher prices. Again, that’s Economics 101.

We are seeing this phenomenon with so many coins. After news of a sell out or suspected sell out, buyers are willing to pay a higher price since they do not know where prices will go in the near future. Typically, prices tend to settle down and reach a point where buyers are willing to pay what a coin is worth to them and what the market will support…..

47. eaglebrand says

Great looking set. I would say that the price point will a bit higher than most would like . $159.00 to $179.00 is what I would think. Higher the price, lower the number sold.

48. Teach says

Michael,

Where did you find the exact date these coins will go on sale? When I first saw that the coins would be sold on May 13 to June 13, I thought those were the dates as well until I determined that the “13” was representing the year and not the exact day. Do you have a link to any article from the mint showing these exact dates for sale? Or maybe those days (13) are actually the year and an exact date for beginning sales has not been published?

49. Pegasus says

Somehow, I think the price for the set will be $199.95, plus S/H, of course. I justify this guess based upon the fact that although silver is less than $30 per ounce, the 2013 five ounce ATBs will be offered at $244.95 or higher, and the fact that the set offers the “Enhanced Eagle” as well as another unique coin. I certainly want at least two sets of these.

50. george glazener says

@Hidalgo;
    Yep, that makes a lot of sense. Flipping is a very dangerous business indeed. Your timing must be spot on perfect. And I was about 2 weeks too late to the party. GRRRR….

I wonder if these 5 ounce ATBs will regain collector interest in 3-5 years or if they’ll always be worth just spot price. What have you guys seen happen in cases like this as time passes?

51. george glazener says

@Hidalgo:
    Using the same reasoning you outlined above, do you think the 2012-W ASE will spike in secondary market value too, and then drop like a rock a few weeks later? Everyone’s all a flutter about it right now, but who’s to say it will last?

52. hi ho silver says

Id really like to see a picture here. The artist drawling does as much for me as the drawling of the 2013 proof ASE on the Mint website. Maybe $179 after pic.

Shutter and Neblackshirts,

Agree with you in regards to the coin looking like a proof, especially given that Michael mentioned it has frosted and mirrored parts, which is basically what I think of as one of the main defining aspects of a proof coin. I am kind of wondering why they’re calling it an uncirculated, and that’s one of the reasons I want to see more pictures of this thing (or a Youtube video like the Perth Mint sometimes does for its flashier creations would be even better).

54. Dan in Fla says

This coin looks like a proof hybrid in the pictures. With the mirrored fields and the frosted cameos.

I would like to see the ATB p 5 oz’s come down in mintage in 2013, that would create a quicker sellout and a much higher premium in the secondary market.

The Mint is really working on strengthening it’s numismatic consumer base right now. While we get it, I think still too many are looking away, if this is the case, we could see some keys!

57. Saucexx says

Mark me down as one who thinks it’s a proof.

I think it’s interesting but I’ll have to see it in person to make up my mind. The obverse reminds me of the colored eagles they hawk at shopping sites, etc. I’m sure it’s much better looking in hand though.

Since this will be the first of it’s kind, it’ll be interesting to see how many are sold. Unfortunately the reverse proof is becoming over used, but that’s life I guess…..

58. Saucexx says

@George

The 5oz AtB’s are a long term investment. If you’re trying to flip them then you’ll have to time it right.

59. Ray says

@Pegasus, I’m also thinking that they may charge up to $199. I’m still hoping they keep it below $180, but I could see them charging $200 with all the recent price hikes on 2013 silver goods.

I absolutely love this blog. I got into this 3 months ago and this is the site I come to daily. Thx fof all the great information!!

60. Dan in Fla says

I just looked at James Buckis article and it says “lightly frosted fields” so I guess I will wait until I see it in person. I am in for at least a ten pack at any price under $300.00.

61. george glazener says

@ Ray;
    Yep, there are a lot of very smart collectors here. I wish I was one of them…LOL.

62. Eddie says

At least we will have another set of 5 ASE this year and each one is different from the other. I just hope with silver down the price of this great looking set will be down also. $124.95 would be a good price for it and I think like the rest of you it will be a high mintage set. I hope this time they keep it exclusive to just this set.

63. myth says

I imagine the fields to be more like an uncirculated from 86, devices frosted like burnished like last years with mirrored details. I think a better pic is needed. But I think the best comparison we have is the ms pandas. I just hope theirs no micro printing with made in china on it.

64. fosnock says

@george glazener – IMHO it depends on the coin’s popularity if the low mintage or sell out was for a less popular coin like the FS coins they will eventually sell around spot, especially if the spot price will cover for the cost of the coin. If they are popular like the UHR Eagle they will maintain or increase their value.

Please note that the UHR Eagle did not sellout nor was it a low mintage coin as compared to the other gold collector coins offered by the mint but it still commands a hefty premium. A lot of people assumed because of the high mintage that they would get it cheaper later and sold early while the iron was hot, or simply did not buy it. Then demand picked up, and the price went up with that demand.

In nutshell don’t rely on mintages especially in this environment because that new low might be beaten next year try to anticipate demand…oh and good luck with that.

65. Teach says

CO,

Myself as well, I just haven’t been able to find any. I would just call this coin interesting at this point. I guess now we all wonder if this “enhanced uncirculated” is actually an enhanced proof seeing that it is struck three times. A typical proof is struck 2 times, correct? So what do you call a coin struck 3 times – enhanced? I would also assume with this coin being struck three times the cost to mint the coin would increase as well, thus creating a higher set price for sale. Would I be wrong to assume such a thing? Just wondering, has there ever been a coin that had to be struck 3 times?

66. fosnock says

@george glazener – For the record I’m not a flipper, I have only flipped one coin but I do like to pick winners, why spend money on a coin when in a few years I could have bought bullion with that money.

67. fosnock says

@Teach

I would imagine that it would not need to be struck three times as the mint is using modified dies. “Each coin is struck with specially prepared dies at the West Point Mint facility.”

Depending on the amount of skill it would be required to create the dies and depending if it needed to be struck twice to bring out the mirror finish as indicated by a few other posters we maybe looking at a a lot of variations (error) coins.

68. fosnock says

@ Teach

Also note that in the normal burnished coins its the blanks that are burnished so they do not need specially prepared dies

Looking at this coin a second time, it’s looking more like an Uncirculated with a dark tint in the field making it look proof. We have all been assuming that the coin being turn up is reflecting something dark.

Dusty,

This is why I want to see more pictures, or even a video like Perth Mint sometimes does. I can’t quite tell whether we’re looking at darkened tinting or proof-style mirroring. It LOOKS like proof-style mirroring, but I’m not sure.

Remember back, when recently the Mint changed their on line sales photo of the proof from dark to white…

72. Eddie says

Now the coin is out of the bag so to speak why doesn’t the mint just go ahead and release the information on it?
    I know it will look better than the pictures because they always do right? Pictures just does not do these coin justice.

73. Don says

From the Mint’s description and photos of this enhanced uncirculated silver eagle coin, it seems that it is pretty much a proof, or at least shows many characteristics of a proof version of the silver eagle. It kind of is in the category of the China panda silver coins, which, while not described as proof, sure look as though they are.

74. simon says

I have to say it is great to read all the positive comments here about this special ASE offering.

75. Don says

hiho silver:

Is the $149.95 price for the West Point set that you mention in your earlier comment your a) bid price, b) wish list price, c) dream price, d) final price offer, or e) all of the above?

76. Ikaika says

I hope we get a detailed report on the process of minting this coin soon. Should be very interesting.

Yet ANOTHER polished turd offering from the U.S. Mint! The marketing dept. at the Mint seems to have come up with Baskin Robbins flavor choices for the American Silver Eagles for every manner of anniversary commemoration!

78. Teach says

Fosnock – this coin will be struck three times in order to complete the coin, please read the following below………

Each coin is struck with specially prepared dies at the West Point Mint facility. In order to bring out the three contrasting finishes, each coin is struck three times on burnished 99.9% silver planchets. Each planchet is hand fed into the coining press and inspected by the operator before it is sent on to be encapsulated and packaged.

You can read all about this coin here……..

79. Rich says

This ‘enhanced’ approach would certainly lead to a unique & spectacular gold buffalo ’13 set if it were to come about…, the resources would be in place at WP to pull it off.

Hope it’s an expensive year after all…, first year I’m passing on all Comms

I have been thinking this enhanced ASE is tinted, but there’s no description including that, I’m back to my original understanding of the light frosting. Is the Mint is going to let us simmer for a while now?!

81. Robertson says

Not to mention significantly altering A.A. Weinman’s original, artistic vision first seen on the 1916 Walking Liberty half dollar.

The Mint seems to be oblivious to how they are greatly compromising the integrity of the original design. And they do it with only purpose in mind: taking advantage of a market that obviously lacks the ability to appreciate good design.

82. Robertson says

The Mint seems to be borrowing a page from either Ted Turner (who colorized the old classic B&W movies) or those private firms who have been “enhancing” and colorizing our coins for years.

Hey fellas… just because the Mint is lowering itself to the level of outside vendors just to make a fast buck doesn’t make it right.

83. Natatack says

Anyone notice on the reverse photo from the about.com.coins has what looks like a fingerprint on the bottom .

84. Robertson says

I, for one, am looking forward to the 5-star generals commemorative coins that will be offered next week. In the long term, these coins will be greatly cherished and admired by all, coins whose designs may help to educate a new generation of Americans about the history of this great nation. Will they appreciate in value? Who cares… I certainly don’t since they will be passed on to my children and grandchildren.

The above gimmickry, with which the Mint seems currently preoccupied – taking a classic design and seeing how many variations they can pass off as good art on a unsuspecting market – will fall by the wayside in the long run. Someday, our posterity will look at these objects incredulously and wonder, “What in heck were they thinking?”

I am uncertain if you have noticed that the US Mint is placing much more emphasis on creating products, sets, variations, etc. involving the highly-profitable and well-selling American Silver Eagle coin.

Take a look at all of the US Mint’s bullion and non-bullion products. You’ll see an increase in the number of sets involving ASEs.

Ths US Mint also appears to be placing much emphasis on products, sets, etc. involving America the Beautiful quarters. Take a look at the US Mint’s past and present offerings, and you’ll see what I mean…..

86. Don says

hiho silver,
    I didn’t get back to you last night after you posted your question to me (went to bed), but my choice would also be a wish list price of $149.95 for the West Point set. This would be the same price as last year’s San Francisco silver eagle set.

87. oldfolkie says

Wow, look at all these posts. It’s a good indicator to me that this hobby we enjoy has quite a diverse following. Like only a couple of the posts I have a hard time getting excited by “all these versions ” of a coin that way back when, as a half dollar, looked so much prettier. I have to wonder, when are the colorized versions coming? It’s nice to see the mint is keeping us all so excited about something. Me, I just wish they’d realize many of us are on budgets and need an actual schedule that is balanced, with releases staggered evenly through the year. This habit of releasing the ATBs and Gold spouses whenever they feel like it is making it impossible for me to even think of buying anything else.

88. hi ho silver says

Don I guess that’s all we can do is wish. But I think they should make this a 1 coin anniversery. In 2007 I was very excited to have the RP coin, also in 2011. I think the Mint is over doing it with the RPs not to mention the other coins within a set. If this enhanced coin was a one and done I would be in for $150 no questions asked. As far as bullion I went to other countries for them ,I got enough in all my sets.

As I posted on the previous thread…I’m disappointed that the unc coin involves a “finish” change and not a “design” change on the reverse.

What would of been really great is if the coin was minted with the original reverse eagle on the Walking Liberty Half Dollar (I think someone else mentioned this before me).

However, after thinking about what is being offered, I look forward to seeing it in person…and if this is a one time only thing exclusive to this set, I think it will do well.

While the Mint is on this roll of special sets…how about an actual proof set of the ATB 5 oz coins…sold as both individual coins or as a set…like the Proof Gold Eagles are.

hi ho…I was typing my one and done statement and didn’t see your post…didn’t mean to duplicate your comment.

91. hi ho silver says

Steve: No problem. What do you think of the 4 (maybe more next year) RP coins I spoke of ?

92. stephen m says

Most folks will get a set or two to keep up their collection. I will. The enhanced coin, appearing to be kind of an overdone ase, should be a beauty in person. I’m not sure how the flippers are going to respond or buy.

93. Don says

Michael,
    The interest generated by this current posting has resulted in a large number of comments. Just out of curiousity, what posting from you has the record for number of comments? I’m guessing the 25th anniversary silver eagle set from 2011.

94. T1 browserman says

Ag was trading between $25-$30 last MAY/JUNE period and the 75th ann. set sold at $150 firm. I would hope that is the case this year. Certainly no break for the collector and definitely a win for the mint. Pt & Au barely pays the bills. It’s Ag and clad paying the bills.

Thank you Louis for clearing the dollar coin issue. I hope all those transactions that killed the DIRECT SHIP program are brought to JUSTICE for their abuse of that program. It appears those 4 coin presidential proof clads are long term winners. Those are the only ones I collect…I am not paying a premium on rolls or boxes that should be at face.

95. Jeff in TX> says

I love the look. Having a price increase for the 2013 proof ase my offset the cost of the enhanced ase. I’ll say 602013 sets sold. Keep in mind the Mint my put a return to stock fee on returns and wait to send them all later.

96. Jeff in TX> says

Love the look . Sales for this 602013 sets. The price increase for the 2013 proff ase might off set cost of the enhanced. The set sells for $159.00. Keep in mind that the Mint might have a return to stock fee also. What if they mail them out after the buying time for this. Good job Mint.

97. Don says

Thanks Michael–898 comments is pretty extraordinaray. One thing that I have noticed with regard to the comments accompanying this posting for the “enhanced uncirculated silver eagle” is that no negativity or mean-spiritness has been directed toward any of the commenters. This has not always been the case for past postings, especially when commenters banter back and forth with each other and things start to turn sour.

By keeping things postive, it encourages more people to comment without fear of being ridiculed. Thanks.

98. Jon in CT says

I can imagine only one way the Mint could con me into buying this American Eagle West Point Two-Coin Silver Set (final product name TBD). It would be to announce a product limit of 100K sets with an ordering limit of five (5) sets per household, à la the 2011 American Eagle 25th Anniversary Silver Coin Set (A25). Now THAT would certainly get my competitive ordering juices flowing again. Somehow, 12:00 Noon (ET), October 27, 2011, already feels like one of the “Gold Old Days” to me and I hope the Mint can re-create that exciting time with this new set.
    🙂

99. Don says

hiho silver,
    I will give you one good example where, in a previous post serveral months ago, one of the commenters did not have good command of the written English language. He managed to get his point across but, because his grammar wasn’t good, he was ridiculed by several other commenters. At least he had the courage to make a comment–but I’m sure it left him discouraged to be the subject of ridicule.
    If I recall, there were apologies offered to him by some commenters who saw how distasteful the barbs were toward him.

I have also noticed interchanges between two individuals where one takes offense to an off-beat or sarcastic remark of the other. Usually, in cases like this, the offended party needs some type of apology before things turn negative.

Enough said on this topic.

100. Dan says

Michael

Perhaps you or another reader might be able to help. Somewhere in the back of my mind I think I remember that when the 25th anniversary sets were sold, there was a total order of appx 40,000 orders for the 100,000 sets. I was wondering if there is a total number of orders for the San Francisco eagle sets. I remember there was appx 224,000 sets ordered but I dont recall ever seeing the total number of orders it took to get to that level. Do you or anyone else out there recall seeing that number? Thanks

101. fosnock says

@Teach – Thank you for the clarification, as a FYI the Pobjoy Mint Ltd (Island of Man) strikes its coin four times to create the Pobjoy proof finish

102. Jon in CT says

Dan wrote on March 17, 2013 at 5:42 pm:

Michael

I recall that some attempted to deduce an approximate order number total based on subtracting a Mint order tracking number reporte from an early accepted order (accepted just after noon) from that of an order entered ~4.5 hours later just at the cutoff. The assumption (correct, IMO) was that nearly all Mint orders during that period were for the 25th Anniversary Set. I suspect you could derive your own estimmated order total in a similar way by reading the comments associated with the blog entry at http://mintnewsblog.com/2011/10/anniversary-sets-sold-out/

103. Dan says

Jon in Ct.

Thanks Jon, I do remember the posts from then and the range of numbers and I think it worked out to around the mid 40,000’s . I am actually more intrested in the SF sets which were an open order for the month which gave collectors ample oppurtunity and availability to purchase. I was just curious to see what the average number of sets per order might be just to try and get an idea as to what the collector base might be. I know that it still would not be accurate but it might give an idea for example, if it averaged 2.5 sets per order opposed to 6 sets perorder it might show a larger collector base rather than a flipper base. I know there are still many other variables that can be argued but I am just curious.

My two cents. I believe the Mint would be hard pressed to charge more than $150 for this set, at these spot silver prices, unless they put it in a Bengal Tiger fur box, with elephant tusk accents. That’s more than double the current price of $62.95 a proof ASE, which already has a huge mark up. These are no more difficult to make than any other proof.

I too am feeling the ASE burnout that some here mentioned. But I will pick up a set or two, since I have every other Mint ASE (except the 96W, and recall passing on it, doh!). Trying to stay complete, I guess. I’m ready for a change.

105. Don says

Jon in Ct.:

I would think it would be difficult to determine a collector base deduced from the number average of sets sold per customer. You have to realize that there are Mint customers who order very large quantities of these sets, including the various TV coin shows, internet dealers, etc. Obviously, these very large orders skew the averages.

106. merryxmasmrscrooge says

Excellent effect on the design. Even if the Mint can produce 300,000 this will be a winner. Wish they’d sell them singly for a cheaper price.

107. merryxmasmrscrooge says

2016 is 100th Ann. of A.A. Weinman’s design. I would like to see set containing a proof dollar and half dollar with A.A. Weinman’s reverse.

108. T1 browserman says

@VA bob

Thanks for my morning laugh 🙂

🙂 🙂

109. William says

The coin would be more interesting if the mint put a mustache on the lady…

Duchamp her.

110. Jeff in TX> says

I love the look , Great job by the Mint. The price increase on the proof 2013 eagle may help with the cost of the enhanced eagle. The West Point set might sell 602,013 sets in my guess. Keep in mind that the Mint may have a return to stock fee, which may slow over buying and returning sets. What if the Mint sent the sets out after the sale ends instead of in stages. I’m in for one set. The price is around $149.00.

111. Sam says

I agree with all the positive comments. The Mint has finally listened to the collectors and has produced a very appealing coin in my opinion. This coin really “enhances” the beauty of the designs both obverse and reverse in a classy way. This is truly a superb coin and I commend the Mint for doing a great job!! Can’t wait to order a few sets.