2013-W Uncirculated Silver Eagle Sold Out

The individual option for the 2013-W Uncirculated Silver Eagle has now sold out at the United States Mint. The coin does still remain available for sale as part of a different product.

2013-w-silver-eagle

The US Mint had opened sales for the individual 2013-W Uncirculated Silver Eagle on May 28, 2013. This product represents a collector version of the coin struck on specially burnished blanks and carrying the “W” mint mark. This version of the Silver Eagle has been offered previously in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2011, and 2012.

This year’s coins were priced at $48.95 each for the start of sales. The price was later reduced to $43.95 following a decline in the market price of silver.

According to the latest weekly sales report, the individual 2013-W Unc Silver Eagle has reached sales of 178,572 units.

As mentioned, the coin is also included in the 2013 Annual Uncirculated Dollar Coin Set which began sales on November 13 and still remains available. The set contains the uncirculated versions of the four 2013 Presidential Dollars, 2013 Native American Dollar, and 2013-W Silver Eagle. This set is currently priced at $44.95 and has sold 18,006 units to date.

Once the 2013 Annual Uncirculated Dollar Coin Set eventually sells out, it seems fairly likely that the 2013-W Unc Silver Eagle will establish a new mintage low for an uncirculated coin of the series with the “W” mint mark.

When the collectible uncirculated version of the coin was introduced in 2006, it had a combined mintage of 466,573 across all product options. This remained the low until a lower total was seen for the 2011-W Unc Silver  Eagle at individual sales of 309,927 plus an additional 100,000 coins included in the 25th Anniversary Set for a total of 409,927.

A new low was once again established with the 2012-W Unc Silver Eagle, which had individual sales of 202,504 units plus an additional 28,368 coins included in the 2012 Annual Uncirculated Dollar Coin Set for a total of 230,872.

As it stands, the 2013-W Unc Silver Eagle has total sales of 196,578 and counting. Some collectors will be closely watching sales of the 2013 Annual Uncirculated Dollar Coin Set to see how much this total grows.

Comments

@gary… I think people have for some reason have started to believe a coin collection is supposed to immediately increase in value the second the mint releases the coins to the public. Even here we read people who are disappointed that a sold out offering isn’t drawing a rapid instant demand and a higher price on the secondary market and thus it is termed a flop… I’ve always considered coin collecting a long term investment and commitment That is why I think this series is going to do very well in the long run – and why I’ll be holding my ATB’s for many years to come. As the years roll on and the new people start to find this series – the early releases and low mintage’s will definitely be in demand- especially if silver holds in value.

So I spoke to a Dealer about what to grade. He said for return on investment he can’t justify spending the money on modern coins. To him modern is 1934 and newer- He said 1933 and older are low mintage and high return in high grades i. e. not many out there. New, if I wanted to. He said the newer stuff has young people new in the business and everything is basically a 68-69-70. What do you all think?

3. Sith says

Never say never about low mintages. Also as far as low mintages you can always hope but it all about demand not mintages, the ATBs are extremely low but they are also not traditional coins, and are referred to as hockey pucks. Other mint’s 5oz mintages are even lower and they don’t seem to gain in much more in value than their normal offerings

4. Sith says

FMX – I think it’s a bad idea to grade modern coins but if you check eBay you will see that the dealer is missing out on making money.

That’s ok fm, the dealer can enjoy what he wants to, although classics are excellent coins to have in your collection in higher grades like 65 and up since they appreciate the most in the higher grades. I know I don’t have to say this because I’m sure you already know it, but because others are reading as well I’ll go ahead and say it, modern coins are either 70’s, or better left in OGP. It’s clear that moderns will take some time to come into their own, but I don’t think we’ll have to wait 80 years, I’m expecting premiums to rise with established mintages over several years. We still haven’t seen the 2011-S ASE or the 2011 reverse proof to gain much more premium since they first sold out, but eventually that will change.
    Sith~The reason other Mint’s 5 oz coins have a hard time gaining premiums is because the Mint’s prices are high, while the US Mint’s prices for their 5 oz (pucks) are relatively inexpensive and easy to buy, giving flippers easy access to making a little money from their quick flips as some as their gone. Also keep in mind that other Mints coins will not sell as well in the USA as they will in the country they were minted in.

Saucexx~I realize I’ll have some opposition to this comment, but IMO their is a downside to any modern coin, and that is if it is anything less than 70, or very rare.

7. Sith says

@Dustyroads – No argument, but I’m just saying an increase in price is based on demand not mintage. I have picked up some great 5 oz coins with mintage’s at 5K for about the same amount of money I paid for the 2013-P ATBs.

8. simon says

I collect both selectively – modern and allegory – since both appeal to me. Who can dispute the sheer beauty of the SSB dollar of last year or the enhanced finish uncirculated ASE of this year, not to mention the Lincoln coins, the Native American series, the Constitution gold coin. I also have a very nice collection of Morgans, and it is nice to admire the detail, and think that these coins were and still are at the pinnacle of precision technology with the ultra fine detail once can see in the devices. I’m putting together a full set of the 5 Oz ATB’s in OGP simple because I am overawed at holding these units in my hand, and placing them side-to-side. I’d say if you have the resources just collect what you like and not worry a lot about value. The real value is having a great coin collection to share with the family on a rainy or wintry day with a cup of hot chocolate !

9. stephen m says

Dustyroads, I’m not sure about how some modern coins will be going up in value in the short term but the 2011S ASE is certainly destined to be the star of the 25th anniversary set given some time.

Great info fellow bloggers. Happy Holidays to you and yours and a collecting new year! Appreciate all the input. This has been one great year for learning. It truly is like playing chess IMHO.

I think the Dealer I spoke with has been into the classics for so long that that is his expertise and where all his knowledge is based. I think he is leaving the Moderns to the younger generation. He mentioned about 5 names of People that would be willing to go through and make suggestions on what to submit for grading. He also down played ANACS and said NGC and PCGS are the most respected today. I completely disagree. I think ANACS does a great job truly grading based on experience. I just think they do not have the online resources the others have like population reports. Other than that though I truly respect ANACS for their years of combined experience in the hobby.

I also know that if I did need to liquidate say some moderns that I would get just about what I paid for them minus any fees associated with how they were sold. I think if I found some raw classics in high grade and they came back 65 you could make some fiat!

Was thinking about checking out the FUN show in Orlando but that would be like Norm walking into Cheers and I wouldn’t want to leave until I spent more than I wanted.

fm~Tony Beats is right, it took me around ten years to learn what I do, and sometimes I feel like I’m still paying for those lessons.

15. saucexx says

FM & Dusty,

Strangely I think there’s truth in everything that was said.

Low mintage is no guarantee of a price premium, look at RCM’s coins for example. But to get PM coins from the US mint in the thousands and tens of thousands, those are truly low numbers. Long term I’ll take that bet.

Dusty, your right the market has spoken and it says 70’s & then OGP. 69’s are valued less then OGP unless it’s the top grade available, and anything less than 69 is considered bullion and can be purchased at a discount. That’s how I buy, only OGP and 70, everything else is not worth my time.

FM, pre ’34 is generally where the money’s at but not always. Some of the biggest price appreciation has been in Moderns, take the HR AGE for example or the ’95 ASE W Proof. And on the flipside take a look at early commemoratives, they’ve DROPPED in price and are currently very reasonable to collect. It’s also easier to collect moderns, you can be a novice which is harder to do with classics. There’s also less worry about doctoring or fakes and you can buy directly form the mint like the classics once were. All of that adds up to a bigger collector base. Obviously most of these moderns will never see much price appreciation but I’ll take my chances. At the end of the day demand is still king and Moderns have the leg up.

16. phritzg says

By buying the set of 4, you are getting the other 3 dollars for only $1 extra. I went ahead and ordered a set, just to get the 2013-W Silver Eagle.

17. Jesus323 says

I check my order that i made for 2 ase-w .. And they canceled… It was showing backorder yesterday… Glad i already have the 2013 Annual Uncirculated Dollar Coin Set

18. phritzg says

Actually, the set is 6 coins, so I’m getting 5 dolar coins for only paying $1 over the cost of the Eagle alone.