2013-W Uncirculated Silver Eagle

Today, May 28, 2013 at 12:00 Noon ET, the United States Mint will begin sales of the 2013-W Uncirculated American Silver Eagle. These collector coins are struck on specially burnished blanks and carry the “W” mint mark.

2013-W Uncirculated Silver Eagle

This will represent the fourth different collector version of the Silver Eagle offered by the US Mint for this year. Sales for the standard proof version with “W” mint mark began on January 24, 2013. This was followed by the offering of the 2013 West Point Silver Eagle Set, containing reverse proof and enhanced uncirculated versions with the “W” mint mark. The special sets are available during an ordering window which opened May 9, 2013 and will close on June 6, 2013. The Mint has also offered the 2013 Congratulations Set, which contains the standard proof version with “W” mint mark in special packaging.

The 2013-W Uncirculated Silver Eagle features Adolph A. Weinman’s classic Walking Liberty design on the obverse, with John Mercanti’s heraldic eagle design on the reverse. Each coin is struck in .999 fine silver with a weight of 1.0000 troy ounces and diameter of 40.60 mm.

The coins are offered without a stated maximum mintage and without a household ordering limit. Initially, pricing for the coins was established at $53.95 per coin through a publication in the Federal Register made in December of the prior year. The coins were repriced to $48.95 through a subsequent publication made earlier this month. The US Mint indicates that, as with all products containing precious metals, this price remains subject to change.

The collector uncirculated or “burnished” version of the American Silver Eagle was introduced in 2006 as part of the 20th Anniversary Set. Later in the year, the Mint also offered the coins for individual sale. For the following two years in 2007 and 2008, the collectible uncirculated Silver Eagles were also offered individually, as well as within the Annual Uncirculated Dollar Coin Set. The offering was canceled for the following two years due to the high demand for bullion coins, but resumed in 2011.

The 2012-W Uncirculated Silver Eagle currently has the mintage low for a collectible uncirculated coin of the series with the “W” mint mark. The individual version had sold out in March with last reported sales of 202,504. This was followed by the sell out of the 2012 Annual Uncirculated Dollar Coin Set earlier this month at last reported sales of 28,368.

Numismatic Gold Coin Price Decrease Possible

gold-buffaloLast week, a price decrease for the United States Mint’s numismatic gold products was narrowly missed. This week, the set up is similar with the potential for a price decrease, which will depend on where the Wednesday PM Fix price falls.

Under the US Mint’s pricing structure for gold and platinum numismatic products, in order for a pricing change to take place the average London Fix price from the prior Thursday AM to current Wednesday AM must be within a different tier compared to the prior week. As a secondary criteria, the Wednesday PM Fix price must agree directionally with any potential change. Last week, although the average price was in a lower tier, the Wednesday PM Fix price ended up in the same tier, negating the change.

For this week, the average price is currently within the $1,350 to $1399.99 range. This is one tier lower than the range of $1,400 to $1,499.99 which is used to establish current prices. In the most likely scenario, as long as the Wednesday PM London Fix price is below $1,400, then a price decrease should take place.

Prices would be decreased proportionally by $50 for each ounce of gold content. The impacted products would include the 2012 First Spouse Gold Coins, 2013 commemorative gold coins, 2013 Proof Gold Eagles, and the recently released 2013 Proof Gold Buffalo. If applicable, pricing changes have usually been implemented around mid-morning on Wednesday.

Comments

1. stephen m says

Samuel, i think most of them have been at the stock market for some time along w/coins. The market was up a lot early today with someone doing some buying. I like the burnished ase, it has a very nice look about it, and have a subscription. My second favorite behind the proof and now the special SF&WP sets.

2. Tim says

It would be very nice if the 12 Unc ASE remains the key for this series. Many strange issues developed in 2012 with popular Mint offerings. Last week when it looked like a gold decrease was imminent it was very suspicious how the price jumped above 1400 and then dropped a short time later. Another fine article “M”.

Yeah, barring another bull$@#* “blip” in the gold price, the decrease should happen this week. Not that I can benefit from it, though. I already drastically overpaid for my 2012 First Spouse coins last January. I was so afraid they would suddenly sell out. Big mistake.

By the time the 2013’s go on sale, gold will probably have rebounded back to $1,900.

4. Rich says

@ VaBeachEd regarding your post on the previous thread – May 28, 2013 at 4:23 am

Thanks for sharing all that you wrote, I most enjoy reading the historical perspectives or experiences shared on this blog. I was bit by the coin bug 6 years ago at the age of 35.., and made some mistakes and bought some junk early on.., though in reading many of these posts over the past 18 months, I feel like I’m gaining my Master’s degree in collecting and making much smarter collecting/investing decisions. So much appreciated.

Last week someone mentioned the idea getting all ’13 WP ASE +bullion and lining them up in a case, I thought that was a great idea.., guess it’s time to buy a ASE today!

5. saucexx says

Samuel,

I can’t speak for anyone else but I’ve been more selective with my purchases. The stock market has nothing to do with it, although my strained bank account certainly does…..

This is one of the issues I collect along with the special ASE sets and the 5 oz AtB’s. I’m not interested in the ASE proofs and most of the gold is still too expensive for me. I’ll pick some of these up with my next AtB order.

6. Smiledon says

Rich, I am like you. I mainly read what others post. A Dansco coin book may be able to help you. You can check out coinsupplyexpress.com to see if they can help with your needs.

Smiledon – I think the thought was to build a 2013 set similar to the 2011 set. With the Proof/2 Coin Set/Uncirculated set. I liked the idea myself and bought the display case used for the 2011 set off eBay the other day.

8. Smiledon says

the Phelps,
    I had to buy an extra page for my ASE coin book for the year starting with 2013. They have several pages now to include the special sets, proofs, and regular coins. I gather you guys are looking for a coin case? I guess that would look very nice. I would rather go on the cheap end with the book. However, the case would look better on display. Good luck either way.

9. EvilFlipper says

I’ll be collecting the small set in silver eagles this year. A reg, burnished, proof, rev proof and special burnished. It’ll be a nice set regardless. No low 100000 mintage like the 25th but that new burnished will make it nice as long as the mintage stays under 300k and it’s a one off thing.

10. Dan in Fla says

I got my order in with no problems today. I used to have a subscription to the burnished silver eagle too. But in 2011 the price was 60.45 each later dropped to 45.95 I believe. I canceled my subscriptions and bought ten more to lower my costs.

11. Rich says

Thanks Smiledon, I’ll check it out –

EvilFlipper – I’m impressed, you used the word “collecting” in a post.., you’re evolving! 🙂

Seriously though, I thought the WP ASE would be much further along at the stage – a 5k+ bump to 214,211 with 9 days left. We all know there will be a 9th inning surge, though perhaps the set may come in under 265k(?). Wishful thinking perhaps…

12. Mitch says

Why are these so expensive? In the past they only carried a $10-12 premium over spot.

I’ve been telling folks for quite some time that the precious metals market was falling and that with the improving economy, stocks were the way to go. I have been buying stocks and mutual funds for quiet some time and this year, it paid off . Stocks I bought at cheap prices are now worth $1,000s.

I continue to buy coins because I love to collect them. I will continue my collection of US proof sets, US mint sets, foreign coins, and everything else that appeals to me.

14. billrod says

Michael,

I’m confused, According to the Mint’s email announcement today

“Capturing the grace and elegance of Walking Liberty, the 2013 American Eagle Silver Uncirculated Coin is a collectible version of the popular American Eagle Silver Bullion Coin and features a finish similar to its bullion coin counterpart. Minted at the United States Mint at West Point, this coin is available today! ”

As I read this, this coin is not “burnished” as it has the same finish as the standard bullion coin. The only difference is that it has the “W” mintmark.

Please clarify. Thanks

15. Ray says

@HIdalgo, what are your current best performing stocks? def the way to go. only buying coins as a hobby, not really focused on investment. if the coins pay off in the long term, then its a bonus for me.

16. Dan in Fla says

Hopefully somewhere in the Mint web pages you will find your answer. The planchets are burnished before striking and handled with care to place in holder. These coins carry a min tmark and the bullion coins do not.

17. Dan in Fla says

Just received my two White Mountain coins from provident. They look much better than the 2010 and 2011 I had already. I skipped the 2012’s. Anyway White Mountain is for sure PL but NGC will never know. These yellow envelopes remind me of my 2010’s bought on ebay with Jack Hunts name attached. What a fiasco.

18. Mint News Blog says

Here is the full US Mint description:

American Eagle Silver Uncirculated Coins contain one ounce of .999 fine silver and are struck on specially burnished blanks. This coin offers silver precious metal purchasers an additional collectible version of the popular American Eagle Silver Bullion Coin and features a finish similar to its bullion coin counterpart. Each coin also bears the “W” mint mark reflecting its striking at the United States Mint facility at West Point.

19. Ray says

wow the us mint site is finally working in Chrome for me. yay!!

i’m returning a white mountain and am looking at the return form. i already ordered another and just want my $$ back, but the coin is totally unnacceptible. should i check both boxes, or would that slow down my refund?

and does the 7 day return policy mean 7 business days, or calendar days? any info would be greatly appreciated. thx all!! love this place!!

20. Dan in Fla says

Ray I would think that if you check both boxes it will confuse them. You do not want to do that as it will slow down your refund. It sounds like you know what the best thing to do already. I just went through the return process on an AGE.

21. nick says

im making the aforementioned 5 coin set with an old 25th anniversary case. too cool to pass on

22. Ray says

Thx @Dan! This is my first return. Thx for the info.

I should have returned 2 other items, SF making american history coin n currency set, and a set of 2013 presidential dollars proof set. i’ll never hesitate on returning a product i’m not 100% happy with in the future. thx Dan!!

I’m about 33% on my receipts and what i should return. sounds like im having bad luck and that most people are happy with what they receive. i hope this is temporary. if i have to return 1 out of 3 items ordered, they’re going to lose me as a customer. i’m starting to worry about my WP sets and my future RP buffalo order. sounds like i should order 2 just to be safe. damn this hobby is not easy. i hope it gets better

@billrod – the finish and look are actually very much (read the same) like the bullion version. The Uncirculated coin is also stamped twice and carries the W mint mark.

They have made uncirculated coins since 1986 and started the mint mark in 2006. It is really confusing for some people who believe they are buying a mint issued uncirculated coin – and are actually just buying bullion in many places.

24. fosnock says

CO,

we are in the same boat I’m going to order this with Perry…I decided to get a P Perry and another anniversary ASE set with 5 hours to the deadline.

I am there as well fosnock – that will be an expensive day for me, but what the heck. I’ll probably look for the bullion Perry that day as well… and just drain the account for June.

26. Micro says

I just returned one of my White Mountain coins today. At first it looked perfect to me, but then I noticed an ugly ding on the reverse rim at about 3 o’clock.

Regarding the “burnished” ASE’s, I remember reading somewhere that this “special” burnishing process consists of rolling the blanks around with ball bearings. It was just a way to get around the requirement to sell all the bullion thru authorized purchasers.

27. D- says

Received my 5oz ATB today and it has damaged edge and a scratch. Almost every ATB coin I received had an issue. I have started ignoring the edge issue but still 50% of what I received had scratches on surface. Is there a way to complain about the quality, maybe by filing with the state attorney general, I mean this has to stop – these are for collectors and there has to be a higher quality control (i.e laser scan)?

I also received my White Mtn bullion coins (2) from Provident today. WOW…stunning…without a doubt Deep Mirror Proof-Like….I’ve got a set of 2010 PCGS MS69DMPL and this is better than some of them. They basically look like a proof coin with a mirrored field and a frosted relief when viewing under light. I like my “P” version too…but these were $50 less per coin. However, it does look like the mintage of the bullion coin may go quite high as it is already at 25,800. Glad I kept a set of the 2012 bullion as there can only be 20,000 complete sets.

29. D- says

I wanted to comment on ordering things together. I once did and when I called the customer service about two coins being of a poor quality (damaged) they told me that I would have to return all items in the order, meaning that I couldn’t return any item without returning all others. Since then I order each item separately. Maybe it has changed since I talked to them last year. What makes things frustrating is that I am very close to the Philadelphia mint and guess what, they don’t sell 5oz ATB in their shop so there is no way to check on the quality of the item I am buying (those in DC are lucky as the shops do carry 5oz ATBs). After reading other quality issues in these posts, maybe it is time to file with BB.

30. GMS says

The 5oz White Mountain are now on back order, don’t know if that means anything but just thought it was worth letting everyone know as this sometimes signals a sellout.

Hello, new to this site. Very informative. Thank you all! Just curious, I have an order date of March 18, 2013 on the sold out LS1 12 LESPS, Says it “may” ship Wed. Anyone know if these are going to show up. Thanks in advance for any insight.

UPDATE 214,211 on the S40 set…Seems to be kicking in now. Hope it doesn’t surge too much.

33. joe says

Just went out and looked at the Mint schedule…there’s no longer any doubt that the Mint is intentionally trying to kill off the FS series. It was flawed from the beginning, and now they are punishing those who collect the series by releasing multiple coins within a short period. I feel for those who have to come up with huge sums of money in a very tight timeframe to continue on with what they started. Hopefully the gold prices will be lower when they are released…

34. simon says

Gentlemen start your savings

Coin World :

Reverse Proof American Buffalo in production

By Paul Gilkes | 05-27-13

The West Point Mint has begun production of the Reverse Proof 2013-W American Buffalo 1-ounce gold $50 coin, which will be offered sometime later this year.

The coin will be sold individually and be packaged in the same type of wood box as the Proof 2013-W American Buffalo gold coin, but the outer box will feature a leatherlike material so it is easily recognizable as a different product, U.S. Mint spokesman Michael White said.

White said production began sometime in May.

The coin will be struck to demand, according to White. An on-sale date had not yet been established as of May 23.

Regular Proof coins are struck exhibiting frosted devices against polished, mirrored fields

White said the Reverse Proof American Buffalo is being struck to present the same appearance as previous Reverse Proof coins — polished, mirrored devices against frosted fields.

The price of the Reverse Proof American Buffalo .9999 fine gold coin will be determined according to the United States Mint’s pricing structure for coins and other products containing gold and platinum.

The regular Proof 2013-W American Buffalo gold coin, whose pricing is also determined by the pricing grid, went on sale at noon Eastern Daylight Time May 23 at an initial price of $1,790. It, too, will be struck to order.

35. jhawk92 says

@ Rich, way up above…

I bought two of the WP sets on opening day. Now I wonder if it’s worth getting a couple more before the window closes. I did not do that with the SF set last year, but maybe the enhanced uncirc coin could help longer-term pricing?

36. Rod says

Finally, a gold price decrease! Just before the next gold price increase I plan on ordering one proof buffalo. Reading this blog I wonder if I should order two and send one back, but I think maybe you get on Mint’s Black List if you plan on returns–so I think I will order just one and just send it back (with a refund for shipping) as many times as it takes to get a decent one.

Joe mentioned the First Spouses a few comments ago. I’m one of the few who’s actually collecting that series. Have the 2013 designs even been finalized yet?

38. Samuel says

if the FS is discontinued, the price of the previous sold ones will increase or decrease?

39. JD says

Wed 29 May 2013
    LONDON GOLD FIXING
    USD
    AM 1384.50
    PM 1382.50

This is data the Mint uses to adjust price …from what I see…it is below the $1399 threshold….

40. Rod says

Samuel,

What D says is not my experience at all. I ordered several items, gold and silver, and got one Five Star General $5 gold UNC that was no good along with many other things (such as the Five Star proof set). I returned just the Five Star UNC and got a reimbursement check for the return shipping. The next Five Star UNC was also no good, returned that, and got the return shipping reimbursed again. On the third try I got a decent one (but I did not get any notice from the Mint that I could not have returned that one and tried the fourth time if necessary).

This is why I think you need to stay off the Mint’s Black List.

41. Samuel says

Rod, i never did any returns, just replacement. my understanding of what D said is, if you buy multiple same coins, (need to be same coin), then when u do return, they will ask you to return all of them to make sure you do not cherry-pick and return the bad ones. i saw this same policy on another dealer’s website too.

you said “I wonder if I should order two and send one back,…” in your previous post, i think thats exactly D’s scenario.

the 5* u mentioned, i am not sure you ordered multiple or just a single one.

42. Rod says

Samuel,

Sorry I used the wrong word. I did just replacements also. And I ordered two Five Star General $5 gold UNC on the first order and just sent one back for replacement (with shipping reimbursed).

43. CW says

I wonder if some of the high costs of US Mint coins are due to hard-to-please collectors worrying about minutiae and returning coins multiple times.

44. Zaz says

I’ve never had a problem with returns to the US Mint, perhaps the customer service agent was confused with D’s order. There are occasions when the proof/unc set has to be sent back complete if one coin was of poor quality. That’s probably what the agent meant to say, not all of the products in a single order.

Funny, the $5 MacArthur coin might have been minted at Denver as today will be my THIRD go-round for this particular coin.

The uncirculated ATB has been of outstanding quality, perhaps a slight nick or scratch in the early 2010 issues, but nothing since then. The vapor blast procedure tends obliterate any surface imperfections.

@Steve: Aren’t the bullion White Mountain coins something? They were made in leisure and blow the majority of the previously released bullion out of the water. They must have been all perfect, as I got mine from APMEX, and how do you cherry pick the monster box when each succeeding coin looks as perfect as the last? I’ll be interested in seeing if Perry’s Victory with its huge amount of negative mirrored space will look as good as this.

@D – you don’t have to return your entire shipment – just the items that are defective. The wording on the return policy is kind of vague – but everyone I know that returns items to them – returns only the defective item they received. As far as contacting the BBB…not sure what anyone would gain – they accept returns and will provide a free replacement – including shipment.

In regards to the ATB bullion… I got mine today from Provident and it isn’t great. It has cloudy water mark on it. If they didn’t cost $140+ – I’d order another one and see if it is better. I’ll keep this one and hope for a better one on the Perry. (I am guessing that one will be a tough one to get a clean coin on).

46. IPS_STUFF says

Order a few the unc eagle yesterday along with one more ATB white mountain.

Still waiting for the bullion White Mountain. Provident is a little slow in my opinion. The indicated in an email that they received my payment on 5/20 but still no notice of shipping my order. Order 10, so I hope I get a mint tube that has not been opened.

Good coins are nice, but good customer service would be nice too. 🙂

47. Zaz says

Just got a text from APMEX, 6/14 for Perry’s Victory. Buy at $136?

I agree with what’s been said about Provident, they are a little slow on their shipping of White Mountain. I still have yet to see my two coins from them.

48. Matt says

The 2013 proof buffalo dropped in price by 50 dollars, now I can buy it and the new the 2013 W Unc burnished from the mint.

49. Samuel says

i think the P is not slow, it holds check for 10 business days, while A holds for 6.

50. Zaz says

They are slow this time around, sent them a postal money order on Friday, the 17th, which they received the following Monday, the 20th, at which time the order went to processing. Still in that status as of this morning. If they are going to treat cash as personal checks, then I’ll send them a personal check every time and wait the 20-25 days from order placement to receiving the product. Could be they oversold their meager initial supply and are awaiting additional coins from the Mint as they aren’t an official AP.

51. IPS_STUFF says

Yes, with regards to “P” I sent them a cashiers check. Similar to Zaz above, they acknowledged receiving on the 20th. Just a few minutes ago I received a tracking number. Everyone knows how the tracking number game works with USPS, This just means they have finally generated a label for my order.

Well guess they are making some progress

Anyone think the P mint White Mountain could be heading to a quick sell out? with the backorder status?

52. Micro says

IPS, that’s what I was thinking – for the WM to go backorder this quickly feels like the 2010’s. If the ship date starts moving forward one day at a time each day then that is a pretty good indication that they are near a sellout (although not certain).

53. Zaz says

@IPS_STUFF: Probably not on the White Mountain-Ps. The Mint probably only minted and finished half of the maximum mintage, thinking they have time to get the other half onto the minting schedule sometime during this year. In less than two weeks 12,621 sold. You have to go back to Gettysburg and Glacier to see a pace that fast. As a comparison, the Mint forecasters probably only looked at the 2012 numbers, which were 8 weeks before Volcanoes sold that many to a lengthy 21 weeks for Chaco, with the other three issues falling somewhere in between. The fickleness of the collecting public must drive those employees crazy. However, if today were Jan 2nd 2014, I’d agree with you that the issue is sold out. But time is on the collector’s side in this instance.

54. joe says

If I was the Mint, I would kill the WM as soon as I could…especially if I have to go and produce more. Flippers would go wild for the remaining 5 ouncers being offered this year and the aggregate sales would shoot straight up. It might even renew some interest in the 5 ounce coins going forward beyond 2013. Conversely, they can produce more WM coins and have them on hand at the end of the year and keep the sale of the remaining 2013 5 ouncers in check. JMO.

55. Kraw says

I’m with Zaz. I don’t think they are sold out. I haven’t bought one yet, and am sure enough they haven’t sold out that I will risk it and wait to group them with a Perry P, silver proof, and WP set on the last day of WP sales.

56. Kraw says

The white mountain S rolls also went to back order earlier in the year, and they are not sold out.

57. DCDave says

WM 5 oz are not sold out according to Mint when I called. The 5 Star General gold products have been on and off backorder as new “batches” are shipped to Indiana. It would actually be a public relations disaster to have a ATB sold out only weeks after it was first offered, while keeping others in the past available for ridiculously long time periods….

I doubt the WM is near sellout. With the wait for the decision on how many to mint, and then the price drop – I expect they’ll mint the entire 25k before they call it sold out. Especially considering the speed that they are selling. The Perry might cut into the sells and slow them down – but I am expecting it to sell all 25k. It is probably as has been noted – just a delay because of the unexpected initial demand.

59. D- says

Thank you for the information about returning defective products, I will be asking for a supervisor if they tell me otherwise in the future. Is there really a blacklist? Maybe I am on it for exchanging few things, they have never refunded me any shipping costs, just mailed the replacement for free. Now I am hearing they refund money to some of their customers… Please let me know if it is true, I will sell their coins and never buy one again, this is not right…

60. Dan in Fla says

I got my 2013 Buffalo today and I have to say it is spectacular. The wrinkles around the Indians eyes stands out as never before. Yes I bit the dust and ordered early. Well worth it in my opinion. It is good to know that the Mint returns shipping charges even if on a case by case basis.

61. Ray says

Cost me $11.40 to return 1 5oz WM coin today. I see the value in buying graded coins now. I always intended to have it graded, and I’m better off just buying a 69 than hoping to get one and submitting myself, Live and learn. I dont grade every product I buy from the mint, just a few. I wonder how long it takes to get a refund? And will they send me a check or credit back my cc?

62. Samuel says

it is possible the WM is sold out. last week, 10K was sold, the past week figure did not get out yet. who knows. the mint probably only minted 15K.

BTW, my 2 will arrive tomorrow with some other sets.

63. Zaz says

@D-: there IS a blacklist! Generally returns don’t land you on the blacklist unless its well over a certain dollar amount as a percentage of your total orders. You get on the blacklist if between your placement of an order for a back ordered product and the time they ship it out (and do not check the CC# again) only to have the latter charge declined. Happened on my Yellowstone or Yosemite puck two years ago because I lost the card just after placing the order so got a new #, and forgot to update this information by calling the toll free number. So it ended up in accounts payable and I couldn’t place orders on the website. I had to send in mail orders for Grand Canyon and Mount Hood pucks with cashiers checks. Because this was an ongoing issue, those orders were held up as well even though there was good funds behind it. It took several weeks and about a dozen phone calls to straighten it all out. I had to personally talk to an accounts payable supervisor in DC and she was notoriously difficult to get a hold of. All this drama for $285, so never getting on that list is a good idea. However, I believe now PCGS closed off this loophole and there must be a procedure to check if the card is still good on any back order ready to ship out.

Ray, I agree with you, buying direct from the Mint is for people who are not necessarily interested in perfect coins. When you don’t want to spend time on not knowing what your getting it’s better to buy from a dealer who has already graded a coin. How much can you save on not going out to eat just once or twice a month?, enough to be able to afford a perfect coin that can increase in value! Btw, I’m just like you, I’m not a dealer.

Samuel,

White Mountain most certainly won’t sell out with so much time left in the year. It’s more likely the Mint initially struck 12,500 units (exactly half of the maximum mintage) and waited to see how fast those would sell. Since they’ve all been sold, it’s backordered now until another batch can be produced. It might not be 12,500 again, but there will be a few thousand more struck anyway.

What MAY be close to a sellout is the Alice Paul uncirculated FS coin. I could be wrong of course, but it seems possible the Mint may have struck 6,500 of the 2012 FS designs (again, half of the maximum mintage), and the breakdown could have been 4,000 proofs and 2,500 uncs. Unlike the 2013 5 oz ATB’s, no more 2012 FS coins can be struck. With today’s price drop and only 48 coins left to sell before reaching that level, the Alice Paul unc could be gone in another 3 weeks or so, so keep an eye on it. Time will tell.

@Zaz… that isn’t a blacklist. That actually isn’t a lot different than many other businesses go through. Your account hit a snag and needs ironed out – they aren’t personally now targeting you – the flag went up because of an issue with your card – no other reason.

Dusty – Ray… I am not a convert to having to have graded coins. I am fine with buying my coins and keeping them in the OGP. While it may not be the “investment” logic – it fits my wallet logic. Grading is nice – but I am sure I can find a market for my coins – in the OGP and it doesn’t bother me at all. The people who look only for graded coins, are the ones who are missing out on a lot of coins that are every bit as good as the ones NGC or PCGS say are 70’s and are paying for not knowing how to grade their own coins.

thePhelps, it’s just so tiring getting less than perfect coins most of the time, and you know the saying…condition is everything.

68. simon says

Phelps : The TPGs are capitalizing on customer naivete and in a very big way. I’ve heard too many complaints about Mint pricing and absolutely nothing about the exorbitant fees charged by TPGs for a questionable opinion. I have coins from the ’80s in OGP which look brand new, and others in TPG slabs which are developing spots and toning. IMHO one should be cautious about sending high quality coins to TPGs since the encapsulation may actually degrade the quality of the coin in the long term leaving visible spots, condensation, and lacquer..

69. Richie D says

Well heres a new twist from the Mint. Had a order gaveing a shipping date of 5/15/2013 with a tracking number from UPS, Checked UPS web site the next day 5/16/2013 Tracking detail said shipping label has been created their is no tracking status because shipment has not arrived at UPS facility. So checked the status the following day 5/17/2013 No change, Called UPS they said they haven’t received package and for me to call the MINT. I called the Mint they said that it was shipped and for me to call UPS. I told them i have already did that and they have not received it.So now the MINT want’s me to fill out a Certification of Non-Receipt (Allow 4-6 weeks for review and processing) In the meantime my CC is charged $$$$ .So my question is does UPS pick up shippments from the Mint or is their a third party that delivers to UPS. Cause it sounds like my order fell off the carrot cart between the Mint and UPS. And as of 5/30/2013 status is the same.

70. Micro says

Well the WM AtB 5 oz ship date moved forward a day. This alone does not mean a sellout, but combine that with the rationing of the bullion version earlier in the month (planchet shortage?) and the need to be minting of the Perrys, I can still see the possibility. The mint does not have an unlimited number of the uber-expensive German presses for the 5 oz’ers.

71. ClevelandRocks says

5 Star gold was moved back a day, every day, for a few weeks till it came back in stock.

72. joe says

Simon – For those who are able to purchase directly from the Mint, I agree with your comments. However, I will never again purchase an ungraded coin online again. Frankly I’ve been burned more times purchasing sets in OGP than I have purchasing TPG sets.

The Mint made 126,700 of the bullion Gettysburg and Glacier. They have plenty of capacity for the 5 oz’ers.

Typically, the first couple of releases each year will have the highest mintage. There is NO WAY White Mtn is close to a sellout.

Trust me, they’re not losing money on these, even at $179.95. If there was a chance they’d lose money, they’d have left the price at $204.95 despite silver’s decline. That’s the advantage of NOT having a pricing grid for silver. It’s up to them when to adjust prices, and for how much they deem appropriate.

75. Dan says

Hi Joe

I agree with you statement 100% in regard to purchasing OGP coins from anyone other than the US Mint. In fact, I generall make it policy to not buy any coin on the internet, graded or not. In addition I have heard some horror stories over the years and I just dont want the grief. I know that I am probably missing some great opportunity’s but eye appeal is just as important as the number assigned by a TPG. I attend as many shows as I can and I watch many dealers sites. I have even called them prior to see if they are attending a show, and if so, asked them to bring a certain coin or coins for inspection. Its probably just me, but I like the ability to meet, discuss, and sometimes barter a bit. Lately it just seems many coins that I have watched on ebay wind up going for more than I could buy them out right for. Anway, JMHO.

D- You do realize you need to send a separate letter to PBGS to request your return shipping refund (besides the box you send with the returned item)? I wait until I see they have received the return (look on your Mint account tracking page for that order number). Then I send out the letter, with a copy of my invoice, and a copy of the post office receipt and insurance. It takes a couple of weeks to get the refund check. They also send a follow up letter.

77. D- says

VA Bob, thank you, no I didn’t know about the separate letter. But this is great as I just returned my WM since I was in DC this Monday and picked up a new WM from the Mint Shop at the 9th street. Will get my $8 back.
    Zaz, thanks for the info I see what happened.
    Love this blog…