2013 White Mountain Quarter Three Coin Set, Other News

Today, February 12, 2013, the United States Mint began sales of the America the Beautiful Quarters Three-Coin Set featuring White Mountain National Forest.

White Mountain Three Coin Set

The 2013 White Mountain Quarter features a view of Mt. Chocorua, the easternmost peak of the Sandwich Ridge, framed by birch trees. This was designed and sculpted by Phebe Hemphill.

Each three coin set includes uncirculated versions of the quarter from the Philadelphia and Denver Mint, as well as a proof version from the San Francisco Mint. The three coins are mounted on a plastic display card which includes an image from the national forest on the front, and a description of the site and coin on the back.

The White Mountain Quarter Three Coin Set is priced at $9.95. There are no product limits or ordering limits.

All fifteen previously released three coin sets for the series remain available for sale on the US Mint’s website.

Other News

The latest weekly US Mint numismatic product sales report has just been published on Coin Update. This report includes updated figures for the recently sold out 2012 Proof Gold Eagle Four-Coin Set. According to the report, sales reached increased 330 to bring the cumulative total to 8,957.

Yesterday’s post on the 2012 Proof Gold Eagles has been updated to reflect the new numbers.

silver-dollarSeparately, the US Mint has posted preliminary product pages for the 2013 Girl Scouts of the USA Centennial Silver Dollars, which will go on sale February 28, 2013.

The prices indicated on the product pages are $54.95 for proofs and $50.95 for uncirculated coins during the introductory period. Regular pricing will be $59.95 for proofs and $55.95 for uncirculated coins. These prices reflect an increase of $5 per proof coin and $6 per uncirculated coin compared to the prices which were in effect for the 2012 commemorative silver dollars.

Earlier this year, the US Mint had also published increased price levels for the numismatic Silver Eagles and ATB 5 oz. Silver coins. These increases come despite the fact that the market price of silver is down compared to the prior year, and the fact that silver products already carry some of the highest margins of all US Mint numismatic programs.

Comments

1. DCDave says

I don’t see a boy on the Girl Scout coin! Actually there are two white girls and a black girl on the coin with no Asian girls. Rediculous to display the typical make-up of Girl Scouts when they had an opportunity to make something more PC. Think I’ll skip this one like I did the Boy Scout coin (how are the Boy Scout coins doing on the aftermarket?).

I think we may see some new lows again in 2013, so flip your low mintage coins while you can.

2. ClevelandRocks says

Didn’t realize the ’12 silver quarter proof is still available!
    Anyone know why we had a recent decline in PMs?

3. A&L Futures says

@ ClevelandRocks

“Anyone know why we had a recent decline in PMs?”

Quote from APMEX – GOLD PRICE SLIGHTLY HIGHER AT CLOSING

At the start of business today, the price of Gold dipped to a six week low. By the end of the day, the yellow metal had made a comeback to end the day on a positive note. A major reason for the rise in the Gold price came with the message of continuing monetary policies that have caused devaluation of the world’s leading currencies. “It was an extremely quiet day in gold,” said Frank McGhee, head precious metals trader at Chicago’s Integrated Brokerage Services. “The market tried a couple of times at least to get past the $1,638 high, but there was no follow-up buying.”

One of the driving factors of the global economy as of late has been the leading central banks’ willingness to continue their easing programs. Many investors wonder if all of these actions by the central banks will help or hinder economic growth in the long term. There have been positives to all the easing. “All asset classes have an upward bias now — precious metals, stocks, bonds, real estate, art. That upward bias is robust and we have not experienced anything like it in our lifetimes,” said David Kotok, chief investment officer at Cumberland Advisors. “The limit to which those prices can rise is beyond our normal imagination. It’s huge.” However, many investors are leery of the consequences of continued easing. “The world is riskier the longer and longer it goes on,” said Scott Mather, managing director and head of global portfolio management at Pimco. “Periods of calm will be interrupted by periods of roiling prices. You can’t make the case that we’re on a stable trajectory.” Only time will tell the true effect of the policies being played out by the central banks around the globe.

4. EvilFlipper says

We should see a big decline in PM’s if the stock or bond market takes a dump. They’re waaaaaayyyyyy overdue for a correction. Lots of margin calls when those markets correct. It’s when paper collateral becomes worthless that you’ll see a rise in PM’s. I just talked to a dentist and his assistant yesterday and they told me there was this big investment conference they went to. The ” advisors” said that gold and silver were the worst things they could invest in. That tells me where I’ll be allocating more of my investments! (physical- not paper crap). That also tells me the Bull market in PM’s is far from over.

Anyone hear or see any new AGE listings on fleabay or the dealers websites today? Still scarce as hell…. Weird. Is it all in IRA’s?! No way…. Right.

5. EvilFlipper says

It was through a friend who worked for a Dentist. And I do talk to my Dentist at least twice a year. Hygiene and all. Not for investment advice. And I know some Dentists who buy coins.

The three coin White Mountain set is packaged very nicely. Now, if only they’d hurry up and release the White Mountain AtB-P…

EF,

I agree on the bull market aspect. Ultimately, you’ll know we’ve finally hit the “takeoff” phase when everyone and their brother are buying gold and silver like it’s going out of style, and we start hearing advertisements like “gold never goes down!” I am envisioning an equivalent to the real estate bubble in the last decade. We aren’t there yet, with the mainstream media and investment advisors still trying to talk down gold.

7. fosnock says

@DcDave – Its a very simple theory gold\silver will ultimately go into a bubble. You will know its in a bubble when the “Shoeshine Boy Indicator” trips. The “Shoeshine Boy Indicator” s a metaphor for prototypical behavior at the top of financial markets bubbles.

As the “Shoeshine Boy Indicator” has not tripped we are not currently in a bubble. Just Google “Shoeshine Boy Indicator” for further information on the theory

8. fosnock says

Sorry Michael I thought it was my computer not that you disabled posts…I guess we DCDave to thank for that with his Girl Scout comments (Again)

9. ClevelandRocks says

DC is not alone in not letting go the “girl on the Boy Scout” anger theme. As a former Scout and father of a Scout, it did damage to the collector base, and Mint leadership (always changing) need to be reminded of this.

Dave,

Fosnock summed up my thoughts pretty well. Currently most of the people buying gold and silver are still long term buyers/coin collectors and a few new investors. Only a small portion of the US population owns gold despite the big price surge. A true “mania phase” would be marked by EVERYONE trying to get their hands on some gold.

11. Zaz says

As with any flipping activity, more people lost their shirts than made out like a bandit. If you going to flip, gotta have deep pockets to handle some losses, once the nickel and dime crowd get into the action, it’s time to get out. As per the housing market, once I heard that the real estate license exam were being given inside stadiums in 2006, it was safer to move my money into PMs.

Back on topic, the White Mountain card is a rather ho-hum image. The package image for the silver quarter set would’ve been a better substitute, IMO. As for the Girl Scout coins, I don’t really know what the brouhaha is about since both institutions are the product of a mid-20th C. mindset, and are somewhat anachronistic today. Incidentally, the spread between 2012 and 2013 S$1 could be as much as $10/proof and $11/unc. Might be another new low this year, as the silver dollars are getting into the way overpriced category and silver having hovered around the $30-$31 mark of late. To justify such mark ups, there must be a legitimate reason for the existence of the commemorative and/or a really stellar design.

12. Dan in Fla says

Am I the only one that noticed the price of the Girl Scout Coin? That price increase is ridiculous when the price of silver is down. Currently below their $35 previous price point.

Dan,

You’re not the only one. I’m avoiding both sets of commemorative coins this year to focus on a few products which I really want, including the AtB-Ps and the annual sets, due to the price increases. I am still hopeful that somehow I will be able to complete a full collection of the AtBs-Ps.

14. Mercury says

Speaking of a housing bubble…Pray tell…what IS the current markup premium that the Mint is asking for this coin?

15. Mercury says

CaptainOverkill says: During the housing bubble, you heard examples of people with no jobs or low-wage jobs ($30K a year or less) buying and flipping expensive houses. Nothing like that has happened with gold (yet).

I say: During the collector coin bubble, you will hear of examples of people with no jobs or low-wage jobs ($30K a year or less) buying and flipping expensive coins. Just like what we see happening right now with silver.
    Brothers and Sisters, we are in the bubble!!!

16. fosnock says

@ mercury – The melt\spot Price for the coin is $25.00 with a sales price of $54.95, using a online percent calculator I keep getting a 116% markup.

17. Mercury says

fosnock:
    That may be true but just as Zaz said: As with any flipping activity, more people lost their shirts than made out like a bandit. If you going to flip, gotta have deep pockets to handle some losses,

I say once the premiums nearly becomes more than 2 times the original value its time to call it quits. As per the collector coin market, when I hear comment like “Might be another new low this year, as the silver dollars are getting into the way overpriced category and…To justify such mark ups, there must be a legitimate reason?”…Then I think it’s time to either get out or buy the farm.

18. hi ho silver says

I knew a dealer from a couple years ago that turned into a MULE recently. (tearing apart silverware,earrings,rings ect.) He used to be pleasant ,now just an irritated guy testing gold all day. You got to stand in line for an hour just to talk to him. The bubble is here and those that sold will not have any money to buy again.Its very sad to see this thinking those people are just trying to make ends meet.

19. Mercury says

Also I might add, that in actuality, the true mania stage when it comes to coin collecting is evident when a coin you are buying today already cost you more then 2 times it’s worth even before it has had time to appreciate. Very similar to what happened in the housing bubble. Collector coins are now debuting at futuristic premiums. At the present rate of appreciation it would take a miracle for the collector investor to break even. And I might also add that I feel that this “if you don’t want to pay for it don’t buy it mentality is what is feeding this mania…just because we like the way a coin looks should not be a reason to be ok with taking it in the shorts IMO.

Mercury, there is a difference between a bubble in numismatics/rare coins and a bubble in precious metals generally. I am not commenting on whether I think there’s a bubble in the rare coins market, because I’ve never tried to sit down and analyze where things are going like I have with gold and silver. I sometimes opine on individual coins, but not the rare coin market as a whole.

21. Fosnock says

I don’t plan to debate whether or not the PM bubble is over. I’m clearly with CO, you gentlemen can pick your own indicators. I also do not plan on debating bullion vs numismatic coins, but I will say two things as far as I can tell the US mint is still rationing the ASEs after a record January, and the Canadian Mint which is the next largest producer of bullion coins is also rationing its output. Obviously even at 2 times it’s melt value someone is buying the US mint coins, hell just look at the feeding frenzy over Perth Mint coins and they make the US mints markups seem tame. Anyway I heard the same arguments you have presented about the markup and gold bubble back n 2009 but I still bought a UHR Double Eagle, it turns out that those predicting I would lose my shirt were wrong.

22. EvilFlipper says

The bubble is in paper money. What’s the premium on a bottle of soda? Costs like 5-10 cents a bottle to make/ship and they make .75$. Bag of Doritos costs.15$ to make and they make 1.50-2.00$! There’s a bubble alright but just measuring things against a dollar/currency rated value will drive you crazy. Aspirin costs nothing to make and a hospital charges 15$. Folks, we are in a bubble. The coin premiums represent the Mint trying to catch up with aspirin and Doritos. Cost of stuff is going up faster than wages. 100% premium is nothing compared to the premiums you pay on other products. We need cheaper prices but can’t get them when money and credit and front running products before they even get to market.

23. merryxmasmrscrooge says

Proof 2012-S Sacagawea $1 is key date now and best design.
    Try to find a roll on eBay.

400,000 silver pf set
    800,000 clad proof set
    0 no other sets!
    ~1.2 million mintage

24. Goat says

I say BUBBLE pop. Too many bubbles have been inflated and popped. With that said it’s deflation before depresion. Save PM’s hold them and partner up with someone with equal thoughts. The great thing is; I watch the sun rise and set almost everyday when I’m working! Enjoy all your days . May God save us !

25. HistoryStudent says

I remember studying about how a country depreciated its money to less than 1% of its value over a hundred years or so. Seems that its financial markets were SWINGING way more than 100 points a day because of its NOW dishonest money. No its not the Federal Reserve System (not really federal but private corp. with no reserves) although it rhymes.

That was the year they had six Caesars: as the folks herein bumped off five of them. They had spent 200 years from Nero to do what we did in 100. It was around 260 A.D. Rome. PS their coins in PMs around them would not be the highest in PM content.

The biggest bubbles today are in paper. Paper like dollar, bonds, and even in the banksters run GLD, and SLV.

26. simon says

Here is some possible math. Say the global economy is about $75T/yr and there are 7B people on the earth. The per person component is about 11K/yr. This is about 6 Oz of Au or about 300 Oz of Ag for each of the 7B people who inhabit the earth. I’d have to say paper is better option. Of course most of us in the average middle class count wealth in terms of the value of our homes, and a piece of paper stating this is not a bad bet. The real issue which stirs up inflation is when creative economics steps in and produces derivatives for short term gain. That appears to be the issue propelling inflated value, resulting in each bubble. We may have seen this is the dot com / housing / and the current PM bubbles.

27. Shutter says

If you look at the history of modern commemoratives, only the buffaloes were extremely popular AND continued to carry decent premium. For the most part, the real winners were the ones people had some reason to hate. Especially Atlanta Olympics.

28. EvilFlipper says

Simon-7 billion people. 5.5billion ounces mined throughout world history. That’s less than one ounce a person. I don’t know how you get 6 ounces per person…..unless you turn gold into paper. And even at that take half of that gold away from public access due to industrial and art/museum use and you have 2.75 billion ounces left for everyone else. Platinum even worse story.

29. Mark in Florida says

What are you saying, simon, that if every human on earth spent their entire annual earning on gold there would be 6 oz. per person? It’s also just a small stack of $100 bills.

Shutter, I agree on your points. However, I am expecting both sets of silver commemorative coins to sell fairly well. Military coins always seem to do well, and I have a feeling the girl scouts coins will do well too. If sales turn out to be abysmal, I will certainly give them a second look.

In the case of the gold coins, I imagine they will probably come in at lows under MoH and SSB since that seems to be the current trend.

31. Crohnos01 says

Back to the original topic…. I received my 3 coin White Mountain set from the mint yesterday. I opened the box, and put them right back in and shipped them back to the mint. The last 3 shipments I have gotten from the mint have had quality control issues with the coins being scratched or otherwise dinged up. Totally unacceptable for a collector… What the heck are these guys doing with these coins? The Philadelphia coin in the White Mountain set had a scratch about a quarter of an inch wide from top to bottom on the obverse….