Pricing for 2013 Commemorative Coins

silver-dollarThe United States Mint has published pricing in the Federal Register for the 2013 commemorative coin offerings. In a previous post, I had mentioned a price increase for the silver dollars. A price increase will also take place for one of the clad offerings.

While the US Mint has held the line on pricing for most of their numismatic products, silver coins have seen prices this year increased despite market silver prices that are flat or down compared to the prior year. When a large batch of 2013 product prices were published earlier this year, the only increases were for silver coins.

The most recent notification included the following prices:

Introductory Price Regular
Price
2013 Girl Scouts Proof Silver Dollar 54.95 59.95
2013 Girl Scouts Uncirculated Silver Dollar 50.95 55.95
2013 5-Star Generals Proof Silver Dollar 54.95 59.95
2013 5-Star Generals Uncirculated Silver Dollar 50.95 55.95
2013 5-Star Generals Proof Half Dollar 17.95 21.95
2013 5-Star Generals Uncirculated Half Dollar 16.95 20.95

The 5-Star Generals Commemorative Coin Program will also include proof and uncirculated $5 gold coins. Prices were not included in the notification since the Mint will presumably continue to use the pricing grid structure introduced last year. Under the grid, prices are determined based on the average market price of gold and are subject to potential adjustment on a weekly basis. The commemorative gold coin price grid can be found here.

As customary, commemorative coins will be available at lower introductory prices for a certain period before higher regular pricing goes into effect. The introductory period for the Girl Scouts Silver Dollars will run from February 28 to March 29. The 5-Star Generals Commemorative Coins are scheduled to go on sale March 21, with the introductory period likely to be about a month in duration.

Compared to the prior year, the proof commemorative silver dollar prices reflect an increase of $5 per coin, and the uncirculated commemorative silver dollar prices reflect an increase of $6 per coin. The uncirculated half dollar price reflects an increase of $1 compared to the price for 2011, the last time a commemorative half dollar was issued.

It is worth noting that the prices for these offerings include surcharges which are distributable to the beneficiary organizations, the Girl Scouts of the USA and the United States Army Command and General Staff College Foundation. The surcharge amounts are $5 per half dollar, $10 per silver dollar, and $35 per gold coin.

Comments

1. G says

continues a run of military releases- Honest Abe and Louis Braille from 4 years ago were the last non-military people to be commemorated in silver.

2. cmb says

I like the 5-Star Generals Commemorative Silver Dollar. Might be the first coin I’ve ever ordered from the Mint, but I’ll sleep on that one for awhile.

3. Levi says

I believe I am not interested in any of these.
    Congress needs to remove themselves from this business and let the Mint and it’s artists determine what they produce.

4. bothsidesnow says

I do not want Congress to get out of doing their job……

Article One, Section 8, Part 5 of the United States Constitution says,

ONLY THE CONGRESS SHALL COIN MONEY AND REGULATE THE
    VALUE THEROF

Force the Congress (Elected by the people) to do the work and follow
    their Oath of Office to follow the Constitution.

5. Kevin says

Can someone please explain how you can sell over 30 million American Eagles but not even sell out of mintage maximums on Commemorative coins. As a country we need to start supporting these commenoratives because surcharges go to a great cause. I think it is ashame that we dont not have more pride in our commemorative coins.

6. Kevin says

Also these commemorative coins are often military coins which recognize the brave men and women of our armed services. These individuals protect our freedom and also reflect on the sacrifices of the present and the past. These coins represent the freedoms we have today!!

7. Robertson says

I can easily answer your first question, Kevin. The hobby has been literally swamped by the speculator/investor types who have little regard for the traditional goals of coin collecting — building sets and/or collecting for the sheer pleasure of the activity. This has been especially evident ever since precious metals spiked about a decade ago. It also happened after the 1980 surge in gold and silver prices — a whole new breed of “collectors” stampeded the hobby with only one purpose in mind… to profit from it.

If you watch this board for a while, you will understand exactly what I mean. Don’t getme wrong, true collectors still exist but few of them have little desire to go public with their activities.

You are correct. The modern commemorative series are truly the hidden gem of the hobby, from their thought-provoking designs to the causes they help support. Like everything else, however, today’s overlooked “junk” is tomorrow’s treasures.

8. EvilFlipper says

I love how people try to label flippers as speculators….. And not collectors. I collect tons of coins. I flip to add my collection and make money on the side. My favorites are peace, standing libs and buffalo nickels. Modern wise I love ultra high relief coins of all sorts. I don’t care for modern commems as much but I do own a few . I have boy scouts and I’ll be getting the girl scout coins as well as all my kids have been scouts. I love the Ben Franklin commems. I like the old Oregon trail commems. Love bust coins of all types and really like some of the old colonial patterns.

Maybe you misunderstand my type. I’ll collect until I die…. An flip as well;)
    I study coins, coin markets and have a tremendous passion for teaching others about numismatics. My wife calls me Scrooge McDuck every time I roll around in my coins. They are art, history, and investments alike!

But please, blame bad markets on people like me. And forget what we add to coin markets every day. Cause we ruin everything for the pure collector. Right?!

9. DONALD in NEW MEXICO says

Too many military themes is right. A three coin program that celebrates NASA,with the $5 gold honoring Apollo I, Challenger and Columbia Astronauts would be fitting. We don’t need another 10-50 coin program like the 96 Olympics. Something like that was proposed for NASA, and thankfully never approved. Honor our Space program and Heroes.

10. COD says

Why buy from the mint? Flippers will buy up these gems at the high price and snypers like me will scoop them up for bullion price in a couple years! I may miss out on a few low numbers coins but thats when you pay a premium.
    The mint just needs to get a better manager.

11. Boz says

No surprise with the price increases, the value or the metal has little to do with it. Production and shipping costs are way up. Also the mint is losing money on general circulation coins such as the cent and nickle. Gotta make it up somewhere.

12. yomama says

Evil Flipper – I am a fan of yours and learn a lot from your posts. Like you, I have been a lifetime coin collector. In recent years, I have found more of a thrill, if you will, in flipping. It appears like it might be a great retirement hobby someday so
    Rock On! Evil Flipper and know that you have some fans out here :)

13. ronald mcdonald says

Hey kevin, maybe congress can pass a law that mandates everyone buy these coins and force everyone to respect our brave and courageous men and women who made Iraq, Afghanistan, and Pakistan pay for 911.

14. Bill B says

@Evil Flipper…well said. Flippers play an important part in making a market. And by no means is it a sure thing. Risk takers make the world a more interesting place.

I probably will be passing on these commems, excepting possibly the half dollars. I’m trying to save money for the AtBs and possibly a gold coin.

Kevin,

The reason commemorative sales as compared to silver eagle sales are so bad is that the people who are buying the silver eagles are silver investors who want to buy silver coins to hold as close to the spot price as possible. It’s worth noting that despite the huge stampede to acquire bullion silver eagles, the proof silver eagle sales were very modest by way of comparison. I expect similarly weak sales for the uncirculated silver eagle this year.

It’s possible the mint could try lowering the premiums on commemorative coins though they only have so much legroom to do that. Higher prices in numismatic pieces, however, is definitely a factor in why sales of these coins are continuing to slide.

16. simon says

CO : I second your op. I am also focused on the 5 Oz ATBs. I have missed the bullion but plan to get up to speed on them soon, funds pending. I do purchase the Mint issued special finish P’s.

17. gatortreke says

I’ve been collecting the 5 oz collector AtB’s but I noticed on eBay yesterday that the Hawai’i collector version (NQ3) is selling for +/- $600 right now. I’m very tempted to sell mine with the idea I can buy it back cheaper in the future. Any thoughts on whether you believe it will hold this price, go higher or settle back? I want to collect the set but the extreme move up in price is tempting me “to flip” it and risk that it will come back down.

18. simon says

gator :

This is just my 2c : the price will come down eventually as it usually does. Just keep in mind the rage over the first bullion issues. It is your call if you do sell and repurchase. I do have a copy and a nice one at that, and I will keep it where it rightly belongs – in my collection.

Collectors looking to invest in their hobby this year will most certainly continue to be put off by high prices, but a good thing is never easily attained. I, like everyone has a point in which I close in on vanishing returns, or what I perceive to be vanishing returns. There is a mixed bag of reactions in investing in modern coins as PM prices move up and down, but one thing for certain is that most collectors are still staying away, no guts, no glory! And if a man or woman wants to sell coins for a living or on the side for a profit, what’s wrong with that, am I missing something?

20. Speculator says

Sorry to change the subject….

I placed an order for a Hawaii 5 ounce P silver coin and a roll of Hawaii S clad quarter roll when both coins were placed on backorder, but before they sold out.

Just wondering if anyone in a like situation has received their orders? I keep getting emails once a week stating that the coins are on backorder, and the expected shipping date keeps moving forward so that it’s about 2 weeks after today’s date.

Should I presume that I probably will not receive my coins? A month from now, I could theoretically still receive another backorder email with an expected delivery date two weeks in the future.

Anyone have experiences of the US Mint shipping coins in a situation like the one above? Did the US Mint deliver? Or were your orders cancelled?

21. Dan in Fla says

Waiting list to nowhere. I have read on other posts that this back order list is going nowhere. I would call the Mint 800 8726468 and ask them.

Speculator,

At this point, the orders will most likely not be fulfilled. Sometimes the Mint isn’t as quick at cancelling unfillable orders as they should be, but cancellation will ultimatey be the result. Don’t cancel the orders yourself, though. You might as well leave them open just on the off-chance something may become available.

My past experience has been that the Mint will cancel the order themselves exactly two months from the day it was placed. That’s what they did with my orders for Lucy Hayes Unc FS gold coins. I think I remember Samuel saying his order for a 2011 AGE Unc coin was cancelled after two months of backorder as well.

Gatortreke,

If you’re reasonably certain you intend to collect the ATB 5 oz. P silver coins to the end for a complete set, your best bet is to hold on to your Hawai’i Volcanoes coin. This is especially true if yours is a problem-free specimen. The one you buy back later may not be as nice as the one you already have. The money you might make selling it now might not be enough to be worth having to settle for a sub-par coin later.

However, if you have any doubts about being able to or wanting to finish the 56-coin set, then definitely unload your Volcanoes coin now. The high collector premium won’t last forever. Always “strike while the iron is hot” when you can!

24. Taribor says

Personally I find the commemoratives massively boring, so therefore do not buy them. I buy the buffalos and eagles but most of the other stuff the mint puts out – especially compared to other world mints – is unimaginative garbage in my opinion.

Congress, and the mint, would be well served to look to the past, namely the old half dollar commemoratives, for some ideas on how to publish a pretty, imaginative, collector piece.

25. Saucexx says

Speculator,

I have the same scenario, they keep pushing back the date. I ordered it overnight on the 15th/very early on the 16th. So far it’s been pushed out several times.

26. Speculator says

Thanks. It would be best if the US Mint simply told folks that the coins are sold out/not available, rather than stringing out a series of backorder emails.

Although I am hopeful that my orders will be fulfilled, the reality likely is that I may as well order them from the secondary market/eBay. Not right now though. I have let the market cool down as costs can fall as interest/demand falls.

I have been able to get some really great deals by waiting for a few years after a coins has been issued. I just bought a PCGS MS70 Lincoln silver commemorative dollar for less than $60. And there are other eBay auctions where the sales price has been lower…. It pays to wait.

Speculator,

There are some that have their orders filled while waiting like you are. The Mint most likely will fulfill orders as they are able to, it’s impossible for them to know if any will be available.

28. Zaz says

@Speculator: Two months on “backorder” status is about right. I would just cancel the order since both the Volcano S-rolls and P-coin have been sold out for several weeks now. If they had a return, you order would’ve been fulfilled by now. The selling premium is way over the original price, so if the last few rolls/coins weren’t the best, the lucky buyer could still sell it on the secondary market and reap a tidy profit. You could call the #800, but generally the CSRs can’t help in you if the order has been stuck in backorder hell. They are notoriously slow to rid themselves of a backlog of such backorders. I had this happen on a Yosemite P-coin and on a borderline 2nd A25 order on that mad day in 2011.

29. Dan in Fla says

Save yourself all the hassle and buy early. That buy it when you see it holds true for me.
    Don’t kill the messenger.

30. Zaz says

The big problem with the backorder chain is tying the hands of the buyer from getting deals from dealers and other collectors who might be asleep at the wheel immediately after sellout. This is not true of all the products that sellout as sometimes the premium will last for a year or more, by the time it cools down coins might have been picked over and maybe impaired in other ways.

The chief reason I buy from the mint is avoiding the Chinese-made counterfeits. Fortunately, there haven’t been reports of the P-coins or 5 oz bullion being counterfeited in China, but its only a matter of time before they figure out how to replicate the vapor blasted medal finish.

Jake,

Yes, barring a miracle recovery back to $1,650+ for the Wednesday pm price fix the price drop will happen. It looks like I should have waited a few weeks longer before buying the 2012 First Spouses. I could have saved myself $200. But, I was afraid of possible sellouts. Who knows how many 2012′s were actually struck? From the Alice Paul Unc sales number, it looks like the low mintages of some 2011′s might hold for the time being.

32. CW says

Does anyone have a link to the pricing structure related to the (expected) pricing drop? I am thinking this may be a great time to buy some proof gold coins from the mint after Wed.

33. Fosnock says

Hawaii collector version is selling for +/- $600. Wow maybe I should try to sell mine. Oh no I’m a “evil flipper”

@Kevin – Can someone please explain how you can sell over 30 million American Eagles but not even sell out of mintage maximums on Commemorative coins.

Markup on commemorative coins is 116%, markup on AGE is about 12%. Enough said…

If you want to support a cause you can just give then the five dollars. Also you can buy other products for them for example don’t need to buy a coin to support the Girl Scouts you can buy cookies. Its not my fault that Congress generally picks coins with limited appeal. Its so bad that the 9-11 commemorative had to be a medal (with an extremely large mintage) rather than a coin.

That maybe true but how many times do we have to honor them? How exactly does giving the mint a 116% markup honor them?

34. simon says

The FM of India raised the Au import tax from 4% to 6%. We should see progressive drops in PM prices at least in the short term.