2013 US Mint Proof Set

Today March 28, 2013 at 12:00 Noon ET, the United States Mint will begin sales of the 2013 Proof Set. This represents one of the Mint’s most popular annual offerings containing proof versions of 14 different coins.

2013 Proof Set

Each set contains the following coins struck in proof quality at the San Francisco Mint and bearing the “S” mint mark:

• 2013-S Proof Lincoln Cent
  • 2013-S Proof Jefferson Nickel
  • 2013-S Proof Roosevelt Dime
  • 2013-S Proof White Mountain Quarter
  • 2013-S Proof Perry’s Victory Quarter
  • 2013-S Proof Great Basin Quarter
  • 2013-S Proof Fort McHenry Quarter
  • 2013-S Proof Mount Rushmore Quarter
  • 2013-S Proof Kennedy Half Dollar
  • 2013-S Proof William McKinely Dollar
  • 2013-S Proof Theodore Roosevelt Dollar
  • 2013-S Proof William Howard Taft Dollar
  • 2013-S Proof Woodrow Wilson Dollar
  • 2013-S Proof Native American Dollar

The US Mint has previously released 13 out of the 14 coins in other numismatic products. The five quarters were released within the 2013 America the Beautiful Quarters Proof Set. The four Presidential Dollars were released within the 2013 Presidential $1 Coin Proof Set. The proof cent, nickel, dime, and half dollar were released within the 2013 Birth Set. Only the 2013-S Native American Dollar has not been issued in any other product.

The coins of the 2013 Proof Set are packaged in three plastic lenses which are placed with a certificate of authenticity in a newly designed outer box. The box displays an image of the Washington Monument on the front. The back contains images of each National Park or site included, portraits of the four Presidents, and images of the remaining coins.

Pricing for the set is $31.95, which is unchanged from the prior year. There are no stated production limits and no household limits imposed.

Although the annual proof set has been in the midst of a multi-year decline, it is possible that there might be some renewed interest. The early sell out of the 2012 Proof Set with last reported sales of only 794,002 units clearly caught many by surprise, resulting in surging secondary market premiums. Recently completed eBay auctions show 2012 Proof Sets selling for prices ranging from around $80 to $100 per set. This is up to triple the original issue price.

2013 Girl Scouts of the USA Silver Dollars

Tomorrow, March 29, 2013 at 5:00 PM ET, the introductory pricing period for the 2013 Girl Scouts of the USA Centennial Silver Dollars will conclude. Anyone interested in these coins has only a short time left to take advantage of the lower pricing.

The individual proof silver dollar is currently priced at $54.95 and the individual uncirculated silver dollar is currently priced at $50.95. After 5:00 PM tomorrow, these prices will increase by $5 each to $59.95 for proofs and $55.95 for uncirculated coins.

The most recent sales report shows 58,746 proof and 23,366 uncirculated coins ordered since the start of sales on February 28. The maximum mintage across both versions is 350,000. A special young collectors set is planned for release at a later date.

Comments

The outer box looks very attractive this year. I still don’t think I’ll bother to buy any of this set, though. I doubt there will be a repeat of 2012 here.

Wouldn’t it be a hoot, however, if the Mint only produced to last year’s demand and declared the set “sold out” once that level is reached, even if there are still several months left in the year to make more? I’d be kicking myself then, and so would many others I would imagine! If that happened, the first day of sales for the 2014 set would probably crash the website! :)

2. Pool Shark says

$31.95 for $6.91 (face) $0.71 (melt) worth of base metal coins?

No wonder sales have been dropping in recent years.

Note: $31.95 is a 460% markup over face value, and a 4,474% markup over melt value.

At $41.95, the AtB silver proof quarter set at least has $26.00 worth of silver in it…

I’ve read so many comments here about buying what you like, well the clad proof set is one of those offerings . They’re nice, they’re attractive, and they’re bread and butter for the Mint, and in low numbers they’re anything but desk ornaments. I like the circulation quality S ATB quarters, I think I’m going to marry these since we are in love, and if the mintage falls at all for them, I just might go all polygamy!

4. someone says

Yes Pool Shark, the markup for annual clad sets over face value is indeed high. The thing is though, the coins are (usually) of superior quality over standard strikes and are produced in relatively limited quantities. Besides, if you want to complain about purchase price:face value ratios, commemorative proof half dollars (once past the intro period) have a markup of about 3490%.

5. Dan in Fla says

I would like to see the native American in proof but I can wait until the silver proof sets come out. No clad coins for me.Although I bought a few native american coins for 2012 because I liked the design.

6. Dan in Fla says

By the way I got my Generals coins in today after a long wait yesterday. The silver dollar Marshall and Eisenhower come right off the coin. If you haven’t bought at least one go see your mamas because this ones a beauty.

7. KEITHSTER says

Ya Dusty the S unc atb’s are the way to go this year. With the White Mountain P & D’s coming in at 176,400,000 no matter how many they make the S’s will seem like a far distant cousin.And as far as we know it’s ok to marry some of your distant cousin’s Now I don’t know if the S’s still come with all the spot problem’s as before ? But please try to keep any extra milky spots off them coin’s . Good luck with them*^*

How dare you Keisthster, you can’t say that to me! Seriously though, I don’t know if I really want them to become a typical offering, but for now they look like a good deal.
    I think Dan I F just convinced me to go ahead and buy a commemorative dollar.

9. im just a bill says

Keithster and Dusty. If the story of Adam and Eve is true then we are all retarded, Noah = Double retarded. Cousins notwithstanding. lol

Anyway, my plan is to wait until May and order the Mint unc, Perry Q’s, Silver proof set and the mint proof set and save on shipping + qualify for expedited ship!

I hope they dont sell out by then. What are the odds?

10. jguama says

I will get a set like I have for many years. Someday my grandchildren will have a grand set. :)

11. Ray says

I’m in for my first proof set. I swore to myself that i wouldnt buy anything non-PM, but I did, along with some white mountain S rolls, and a commemorative silver dollar. the comments from these threads def moved me to buy my first Commemorative. love this blog and comments!!

12. vaughnster says

It’s tough not to buy a set or two especially since I have every proof set since 1961. Why stop now?? Collect what you like, flip what you don’t :-)

13. Ray says

I wish they made a special silver penny for the silver proof set. Cant wait for the 2013 silver proof set to come out so that i can have my first silver nickel

14. someone says

Ray, the nickel in an annual silver set isn’t silver, but rather a copper-nickel alloy.

15. T1 browserman says

will wait on the Ag set after prices have been reset …if no reset…no numismatic Ag purchases for me. End of Report

16. Ray says

oh, thx for letting me know. so absolutely no silver nickels are made. seems very odd to me. why leave out good ol jefferson

17. Jim says

Ray – In case you weren’t aware of it, you can still own a “silver” nickel. The 1942-45 nickels were 35% silver (the early 1942 nickels also were made without any silver content).

18. george glazener says

I’ve always wondered why the Buffalo and Jefferson nickels weren’t 90% silver during the same period that the dime, quarter, and halves were. Anyone know the reason why?

A little off topic, but I was wondering if anyone else ran into this problem. The silver portion of my commem order was delivered today by UPS. Of course nobody was there to sign for the order. I call UPS and attempted to schedule a ‘hold’ at their customer service center for me to come by and pick it up (as I’ve done in the past). I was told I couldn’t and 3 failed attemps would have to be made before I can come by and pick it up. I called the Mint and they confirmed this. How stupid is this? They have to toss my coins around until next Wendsday, before I can do what I’m willing to do today… pick them up myself. I guess fuel prices aren’t that bad yet, and the Mint wants to increase the chances of a return.

20. Ray says

VA Bob, cant you just sign the back of the slip and have them leave at your door (or under the doormat)?

Ray – Possibly, but I couldn’t image that being safer than allowing me to pick it up at the UPS facility in person.

Don – I may have to gve that a try, good idea.

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions.

22. Two Cents says

George, the 5-cent piece was indeed made of silver back in the day, along with the 10-cent, 25-cent, half-dollar and dollar coins. They were called half-dimes then. There were even 3-cent silver pieces too. That was when the silver value was very close to the coin’s face value.

But the coins were too small and/or too thin – imagine a coin half the size of a dime in the case of the 5-cent piece (or 1/3 in the case of the 3-cent piece). So eventually the 3-cent and 5-cent coins were made of nickel, hence the nickname “nickel.” Along with the change in metallic content, these two denominations became larger to reflect the value of the metal.

Of course, in modern times, the face value of our current coins do not equal (or nearly equal) the value of their metallic content. However, the sizes of the coins remain the same as from the olden days. That is why the current nickel is significantly larger than the current dime, and is nearly the same size as the current quarter.

23. merryxmasmrscrooge says

I like the ATB designs in this order.
    12 out of 25 is pretty good. Designs much better than the State Quarters.
    All the ’13s are great designs.

Perry’s Victory ’13
    Yellowstone ’10
    Yosemite ’10
    Vicksburg ’11
    Gettysburg ’11
    Ft. McHenry ’13
    White Mountain ’13
    Mt. Hood ’10
    Great Basin ’13
    Mt. Rushmore ’13
    Grand Canyon ’10
    Hawai’i Volcanoes ’12

24. SuperDave says

AGAIN, WAY OVERPRICED AND THEY WONDER WHY SALES ARE FALLING OFF…. I know they are in the business of making money but they are trying to cut out anyone else from making a buck…. What a rip-off!! I give up!

25. someone says

SuperDave,

What would be an acceptable price to you? Personally though, I wouldn’t really mind if they stopped including the Presidential dollar coins and dropped the price by roughly $10.

I’ve been collecting proof sets forall my time collecting. It would be a shame if I stopped collecting now. I think all collectors should be keeping this as a specimine collection of all US coins for circulation.

27. merryxmasmrscrooge says

It’s not only the metal you are paying for, it’s the art. I don’t have the engraver’s skill, so I buy. I’m not going to pay $31 for a few lumps of copper, nickel, aluminum and brass. But the design you sculpt the metal into can make it priceless. Otherwise don’t even buy the set.

28. Ralph says

Do you think the reason the 2012 Proof Set has such low numbers is because they ran out of the old boxes and rather than pay the printer for a new order, they just made them “sold out”?

29. DNA says

The 2012 Presidential Dollars Proof Set sold out in mid-December, and almost no one paid attention to that. Problem was, the full Proof Sets have included these Dollars since 2007, so no more 2012 Pres. Dollars = no more 2012 full Proof Sets. The 2012 Limited Edition Proof Set (conveniently!) allowed 50K more of the 90% Silver Proof coins to be sold that may have been melted otherwise.