2013 Native American Dollar Rolls, Bags, Boxes

Tomorrow, April 22, 2013 at 12:00 Noon ET, the United States Mint will begin sales of circulating quality 2013 Native American Dollars in an array of rolls, bags, and boxes. Since 2009, the series has featured an annually rotating reverse design to highlight the contributions and accomplishments of Native Americans.

2013 Native American Dollar

This year’s design commemorates the Delaware Treaty of 1778, which was the first written treaty between the new United States and a Native American tribe. The treaty provided the United States with passage through the Delaware Tribe’s land to attack the British at Detroit. It also recognized the Delwares as a sovereign nation and provided the option of joining with other tribes in the Ohio region to form a state.

The reverse design of the coin features a depiction of a turkey, howling wolf, and turtle, all symbols of the clans of the Delaware Tribe. Thirteen stars appear in a semi-circle to represent the Colonies. Inscriptions include “United States of America”, “$1″, and “Treaty with the Delawares 1778″. This was designed by Susan Gamble and engraved by Phebe Hemphill.

On the obverse is the Glenna Goodacre portrait of Sacagawea and child, used for the previous Sacagawea Dollar series. Inscriptions include “Liberty” and “In God We Trust”. The motto “E Pluribus Unum”, the date, and mint mark appear on the edge of the coin.

The US Mint will offer rolls, bags, and boxes of circulating quality 2013 Native American Dollars in an array of options. The 25-coin rolls are priced at $32.95, the 100-coin bags are $111.95, the 250-coin boxes are $275.95, and the 500-coin boxes are $550.95. Each option is available containing coins from either the Denver or Philadelphia Mint. A standard shipping and handling fee of $4.95 applies to all orders. An addition charge of $7.95 for each 500-coin box is also imposed.

Last year, sales of the the Presidential Dollars far exceeded sales of the Native American Dollars. Across circulating quality options, each of the first three 2012 Presidential Dollars have sold more than twice the number of coins than the 2012 Native American Dollar. Both series are now only produced for numismatic distribution and are not released for circulation.

There is still technically a requirement that the number of Native American Dollars minted and issued each year shall be not less than 20% of the total number of $1 coins minted and issued during the year. However, the US Mint has failed to meet this requirement for at least two years with seemingly no repercussions. The US Mint has requested legislation to remove this requirement.

Comments

1. joe says

“However, the US Mint has failed to meet this requirement for at least two years with seemingly no repercussions. The US Mint has requested legislation to remove this requirement.”

I find it amazing that executive decisions are being made that ignore laws that were passed. I guess our federal government gets to choose which laws they obey; however, we don’t. So much for the rule of law….kind of scary.

Taking into consideration the US Mints credibility, you could say the Mint has earned the pass.

3. RSF says

When the presidential dollar series was proposed and passed, Senator Dorgan insisted that the Sacagawea Dollar not be discontinued or allowed to be relegated to a lower status. With his retirement, that trend has started.

4. Brian says

Joe – so what do you suggest that the mint do to conform to the law?

If they didn’t voluntarily stop producing the coins for circulation Congress may have passed a law eliminating the program entirely. That would have caused the mint to lose income from the proof and metal sets.

Since they are now only making the bags and rolls for collectors they are stuck hoping that the collectors demand more Native American coins than presidential. They could try to influence that by dropping the premium on the Native American rolls and bags. But if they do they will get a in a situation where they are losing money on them because of the weight/cost of shipping.

It’s a no win situation for the mint, so I have no problem with the way they are handling it.

Realistically, the Mint should not be producing that many Native American dollars as the series just isn’t selling very well assuming I’m reading the situation right. It’d be a considerable waste of money since from what I can tell they aren’t sending them off to the Federal Reserve for circulation. I can’t criticize the mint too much over this since it saves the government a little money and they’re attempting to get the law overturned entirely through Congress. Should mint employees really face legal penalties for this? That opens up its own can of worms.

6. Harry Baskins says

“Treaty of Delaware”. Like most treaties with Native Americans, the Native Americans didn’t fare very well. Ironically, the Delaware in the Midwesrt area of America saw all the Plains Wolves and most of the turkeys wiped out by colonizers. I suspect the turtles didn’t do too well either.

7. joe says

Brian – I guess it is naive of me to believe that our government should obey the laws they passed….I mean the rest of us have to. It’s a sad commentary on our country when the citizenry gives our government a pass on respecting the laws they (the government) themselves passed because we “have no problem with” it. But I guess it’s just a “coin law”…no need for our government to obey those. So my question is: Who gets to determine which laws the government is required to obey (coin laws or otherwise)? It’s all just part of the shredding of the Constitution and any semblance for following the rule of law. All the mottoes and images on the coins really mean nothing if it comes to that.

Some ideals are more important than coins; especially those that shield us from anarchy.

I actually like the NA series – but I am not a huge collector of the coins. I don’t order bags and rolls – because lets face it they really aren’t worth the money. Sure it has a face value of a dollar – but to what end does that really get me? So any premium the mint is collecting is already above the minimal costs they actually incur to mint the coins and package them. The same can be said for the presidential dollars – I collect the series – but I am not buying them in quatities because I just don’t see the value. I’d suspect many of us would have to convince a local store clerk they are really US monies to start with and other than trading amongst other collectors – they really aren’t worth the initial cost. I don’t see that changing in my lifetime – maybe in 2113 they will be worth a lot of money – other than that they are novelties today.

9. William says

I have placed several hundred one dollar coins into circulation in the past two weeks… Many of the clerks in the stores in Arizona have never seen or heard of the golden coins.

There are a lot of wows when they examine them. Often they call for the store manager to OK the transaction. The ladies seem to prefer the Native American coins over the white presidents, maybe because I live in Indian country.

Home on the range.

10. fosnock says

Joe,

I’m on your side but my reasons are more practical, the mint was suppose to be minting bullion to meet “public demand,” by law, but now it determines that demand. I can’t get bullion ASEs anywhere close to $26 an ounce much less $23 an ounce. In spite of demand the mint bullion sales declined by 25% from the week before, because of this the APs apparently have no idea when their current bullion can or will be replaced with new mint orders (at the lower prices) causing the bullion ASE to be on “on a slight delay” but more importantly an causing an increase in premiums above spot to about 30%. I don’t know if they actually changed the legislation on meeting “public demand,” or just reinterpreted the law to their benefit. but while bullion sales suffer the mint is going to gouge me for 2 ounces at $150, but at the same time I’m still waiting for any 2013 ATB coins to actually show up.

William,

I have a friend who regularly goes to banks looking for silver half dollars. He always spends the clad halves after he finishes searching them. Most people at cash registers and such always get excited when he pays using them. A lot of people like old/unique coins.

fosnock,

Just to be clear, are you saying the Mint has had to ration the silver eagles again? I’d heard rumors from various sources that rationing was back, but none I consider reputable enough to post on this blog.

12. fosnock says

CO,

I don’t think they ever stopped rationing them when they ran out in January. Among others Michael is pretty good about letting us know when rationing starts and stops, and I never heard that is stopped.

13. Dan in Fla says

The dealers have been increasing their premiums right along with the spot price. I have witnessed it myself. The premiums moved from 2.75 up to 5.90 each. Wheres the bargains now?

14. fosnock says

On a side note the 2013 5-Star Generals Commemorative Coin Program Three-Coin Proof Set is now sold out

15. fosnock says

Dan,

Yep I saw a 260% increase in premiums. I think I told someone that I got some while the spot was around $25 as I thought that was the bottom, little did I know that in-spite of the price collapse in the spot price that would still be true. Hopefully the APs can refresh their inventory and sell to us at the lower prices before the pot price rebounds

16. Phil says

I really like the Sacagawea dollars. I do wish that they would put the date & mintmark back on the front of the coin. It’s so hard to make it out on the side. It’s not like there isn’t room for it! I’ve never liked the token-like presidential dollars, so hopefully that poor design will end when they run out of presidents. If they would just discontinue the dollar bill then I think the Sac dollars would be very successful. I still prefer the original flying eagle reverse, but some of the native american themed ones are decent, especially the past 2 issues, though on the latest one it looks like the turtle is trying to howl along with the wolf!

17. fosnock says

Phil,

The USA has been pushing a dollar coin forever the Morgan dollar comes to mind and just like our modern dollars all they did was to sit in a vault.

18. Blair J. Tobler says

Unless they eliminate the paper dollar (as Canada did) the dollar coins will never be successful.

Fosnock,
    Actually in the Western states like Nevada and Montana Morgan dollars did circulate. Haven’t you ever seen an old Western or a Clint Eastwood western where they use them at saloons? Also, virtually every major country in the world has eliminated small denomination bills, and it worked out fine.

20. fosnock says

Louis,

I did not know Clint Eastwood was that old :-)…those are not US dollars those are pieces of eight (Spanish dollars, they are using bits). Most of the CC’s mintage sat in a vault. FYI I’m not arguing that it would not be beneficial I’m saying that nobody here wants to use dollars coins so no it would not be successful, with success being defined as American’s adopting it.

Jim, thanks for the link. This segment caught my eye:

The only opponents to the bill last year were Reps. Justin Amash (R-Mich.), Paul Broun (R-Ga.), and Ron Paul (R-Texas). Ron Paul is no longer in the House, but Amash is, and he argued that Congress should not help private groups this way.

“It’s far beyond the proper scope of the federal government to act as a sales agent for a private group,” Amash said last year.

I did not realize that Paul or Amash were opponents of the commemorative coin program tradition.

22. Ray says

From day 1 I had asked myself, “Why does the Baseball Hall of Fame need money”? Seems like the Treasury needs it more than them. I think its horribly lame that the US Government is helping Hall of Fame organizations. Non-profits benefiting the well being of the country are a different story imo. Pro sports organizations HoF’s do not need public help. Def a big turn off for me.

23. Mark in Florida says

I believe that silver dollars were still circulating ij the 1960s. Not a lot, but occasionally they would show up in stores.

24. T1 browserman says

Circulating quality but not available at banks. I don’t get it nor do I collect them nor do I care to get these above face value. Thank the big shots and the mint for fulfilling orders to customers in the hundreds of thousands only to have these folks receive and deposit them at their local banks and pay their credit card off. Now those of us that were interested in the now defunct Direct Ship program to assist in getting these into circulation stand unsatisfied and the intended purpose of getting the metal out to replace paper becomes more unrealized than ever.

I found a 1946 nickel the other day…..good luck finding any paper money outside of numismatic samples in circulation.

When the Direct Ship program first began, customers were limited to only two boxes per design. If the Mint had left that in place, the program could have lasted longer. It probably would have ended eventually anyway, as the surplus of dollar coins in Fed vaults which led to no more production for circulation would have still happened albeit at a slower pace. Maybe we could have had circulating rolls of the 2012 and 2013 designs at face value from banks before the ax fell.

Even though we tried to help by spending the dollar coins, the businesses that received them most likely did not pass them along to other customers but instead deposited them in their own accounts. That being the case, they ultimately ended up back at the Fed anyway. So, whether the direct ship buyer or the businesses did it, the end result was the same. At least the quantities in Fed vaults would have been reduced if the frequent flyer mile people hadn’t been able to order thousands of boxes before the Mint finally cut them off.

If the direct ship program was still an option, I would definitely buy a couple boxes of these 2013 NA dollars to spend. I love the design.

26. fosnock says

I like the design but it hard enough justifying buying the clad ATB quarters and they actually circulate so I will pass

27. Ray says

The ONLY way to keep $1 coins in circulation is to pull the $1 bill. This has been happening a lot longer than just the Pres and NA coins. I remember the Susan B Anthony’s and vaguely remember the Eisenhower Dollars. They all failed to stay in circulation, as did the NAs and Pres coins. Buy thru the Direct Ship program may have breathed the minimum amount of life into the $1 coin to keep it alive, but if we’re ever going to see a consistent $1 coni in circulation, the government is going to have to eliminate the $1 bill.

28. fosnock says

@Ray

The Susan B looked like quarter which killed it, sure you can kill the dollar but what about vending machines, etc…

29. Shutter says

While this administration has often chose to ignore laws, I don’t think this is necessarily one of those cases. The moment they decided to stop producing $1 coins for circulation, there really was no reasonable way to meet this requirement. The Mint can ship whatever coins it wants to the Fed. They can’t make collectors buy the coins they don’t want to buy.

30. im just a bill says

Vending machines where I work take $1 coins. We also have a change dispenser that gives you $5 10 or 20 in $1 coins.

Any idea when the repriced silver will be avail? How long was it last time? It was like a month if I remember correctly.

31. fosnock says

@Bill,

The vending machines also take the dollar coins at my work but most places still don’t

You are correct it will take about a month to reprice the silver. Will the full 2013 silver proof sets be any cheaper?

32. im just a bill says

I doubt that the mint sets will be cheaper fosnock, otherwise the 2013 silver atb quarters set would have been repriced as well, right?

33. george glazener says

Guys;
    I asked this question on another blog, and got just a few hazy replies.

According to the March production report, the MINT made One Hundred and Seventy Six MILLION, Four Hundred THOUSAND White Mtn quarters. Not to mention millions upon millions for 2012, 2011, etc. and yet every bank I go into never gets any of them, and they say they never will.

Where are all these quarters going????????? Why is it so hard to find new wrapped rolls of quarters? Are they sent to businesses first instead of banks? Do you guys seek them out, and where do you have success scoring them? Thanks.!!

George,

I’ve been wondering the same thing, and asked this question the last time Michael posted circulation figures. No one, anywhere, seems able to find AtB quarters in circulation. This is why I’ve been quietly accumulating the AtB P&D rolls despite constant dismissals of worthlessness by most of the coin collecting community. For whatever reason, in spite of the increase in production figures, these coins simply aren’t circulating, which means they’re probably rotting away in some Fed basement. I’ve seen maybe eight AtB quarters in change total. Almost everything I get is a state quarter or older (I also almost never see the 2009 territory quarters).

Incidentally, for those interested, we just blew past the Mint’s April sales record for silver eagle sales from 2011, for a total of 3,068,000 vs. April 2011’s 2,819,000.

Then there’s this: https://www.texmetals.com/us-mint-silver-eagles-allocation

The bullion shortage seems real, folks, in spite of the dramatic price collapse.

35. george glazener says

Thanks CO, sounds like good advice. You’re right in that the numbers just don’t add up, they must be in cold storage somewhere. I’m trying to specifically order some from my local (Atlanta) Bank of America, but they act skeptical too. I’ll post if I get them.

36. Shutter says

these coins simply aren’t circulating

Among other reasons, you have to remember that people don’t use cash as much as they used to. The other day, standing in line in the company cafeteria, I was astonished to see someone use a credit card to pay for 89¢ cup of coffee. Years ago, I used to see plenty of coins from both Philadelphia and Denver mints. Today nearly all newer coins I see are from Denver (I’m in the West).

Also, 170MM is really not that many. Considering that many of them will go to a permanent rest in old pickle jars, that’s about 1 coin for every other person in US. Some of the state quarters easily exceeded a billion.

37. Fosnock says

@Steve – Thank you for the info

@george – The banks use to be able order coins by type from the Fed, the Fed stopped that so banks can only order rolls of quarters, and they get what they get as they produced billions of State quarters which were either sitting in a vault or collectors have released back into circulation good luck finding those ATB quarters in circulation. To put it in prospective the highest mintage State quarter was just under 1.6 billion, the highest mintage ATB is 302 million

CO,
    Yep I can’t get anything worth while so I’m looking at rounds, besides their is a $5 price difference in rounds to ASE and other “official” silver, assuming you can get it. Thanks for the heads up on the bullion mintage

Shutter,

I think you’ve made a good point on credit card usage. On where the coins come from, that’s also a good point I hadn’t thought of before. I live in the east, and I very rarely see new Denver coins these days. There are plenty of old Denver coins from the 80s and 90s and the early 00s floating around, but I haven’t seen newer Denver coins in a long time.

39. Fosnock says

CO,

Read that article I love how they called the US Mint and RCM “unreliable” but said the Perth Mint “runs its operation like a business.” When I see the Perth Mint manufacture 39+ Million Koalas at $2 above spot price I will agree with them until then…hell they have not even match the Austrian’s mint’s 18 million Philharmonics

40. Dan in Fla says

I received a couple of 2013 P dimes in change from Mcdonalds. Maybe they are hoarding all the quarters.

I am with others – I think the mint is stock piling the quaters. I’ve gotten 1 ATB quarter since the program started, and I just got that in the past 2 weeks. It is still sitting here on the computer where I put it.

I also use cash all the time – but I do agree that practice is probably less and less as the years go by.

@George Glazener

Most members of my staff, my co-workers, neighbors, etc. use plastic — their debit and credit cards. They make purchases in stores, online markets, eBay, etc. Personally, we find that plastic is much more convenient than making purchases with paper money and coins.

Also, it has been previously stated on this blog that banks order rolls of coins from the US Mint. With the economy improving, more consumers are making purchases, resulting in greater demand for coins. When business and consumer demand increases, the US Mint mints more coins and ships out more rolls.

Despite all of the negativity and criticisms I see about the Native American coins, I like each and every one of them. I could care less if they appreciate in value or not. The artistry on the coins is remarkable, they pay tribute to a remarkable people and culture, and I enjoy having the coins in my collection.

Thank you Michael for sharing the news about these wonderful coins. And thanks to the US Mint for continuing with the series. Our lives are enriched because of your support of the Native American coin program.

44. Shutter says

Maybe they are hoarding all the quarters.

Maybe, but why would they? How does it benefit them?

45. Ray says

Im in the same boat as u Hidalgo. I love the NA coins too and will continue to buy a few rolls each year. Not sold on the Presidential dollars tho.

46. KEITHSTER says

Don’t think the feds are stockpileling them. But I know I am can get all I want from one place. Sorry trade secret as to the excactness.Would love to tell all but it’s not as fun if everyone has all they want.I think the armored truck company’s are the one’s stocking up on them. As it’s thier job to sell and deliver even to most banks and they seem to even be breaking up the unc boxes and mixing them with regular rolls.A bank the other day had one opened roll and no others took $4 worth didn’t need them but what the heck white mountains D’s all my ATB rolls are denvers got many of all but hot spings good luck keep looking there out there*^*

47. hi ho silver says

2010 and 2011 atbs could be gotten at any bank.Now they mix years in all the bank rolls.

I agree with the others on the Native American dollars, by the way. In the last couple of years they’ve been excellent examples of US Mint artwork. I’m sorry they haven’t been selling better, and to be honest if we ever do eliminate the dollar bill, I’d prefer to see the Native American dollar replace the bill as opposed to the presidential dollars.

It may be that a lot of people are still cashing in their change. I like to pick up boxes of pennies every once and a while from one of my banks and look through them, when I’m done I take them to my wife’s bank and cash them in for free. I have never been there when there is no one else wanting to cash in their little hoards of change.
    I keep my post office bank box sitting here on my desk stocked with change I use for slot machines…75% state, the rest original Washington head.

50. Patrick says

I agree with you CO. Its the only 1$ rolls that I purchase from the Mint and of course the Kennedy half.

51. Tim says

Love the NA dollars, always have, on the ATB’s in change, I have found most of them from McDonalds or vendor machines in various hospitals for some reason. Also being in WNC there may still be a larger percentage of folks still using cash.

52. george glazener says

I know that area very well. Sylva is having the big festival this Saturday, they call it the “Greening up the Mountains”.

Any good honest coin shops in that region?

53. Tim says

Unfortunately no, a guy tried to make a go at it in Dillsboro but evidently little business forced him to close. The festival usually has large attendance from multiple states.

54. Bob says

This is my first time to leave/make a comment. First of all, thank you to all that participate in this forum/blog. I have enjoyed reading this for a couple years now. This is off topic but I hadn’t seen any reports of the US Mint lowering the price of the West Point 2 coin set to become available on May 9th. The Mint’s website is now showing the cost at $139.95 so it looks like the mint is on top of the lower silver prices. Amazing!!!! LOL

55. nick says

Hey all, I have been thinking about ordering a 250 coin box of the native American dollar coins (2013) and searching through for errors, would this be worth the $25 dollar premium and the extra $ to ship it? any other ideas would be appreciated. I’m relatively new to coin collecting, expanding on my fathers collection that was passed on to me.
    Thanks ahead of time

56. simon says

nick – the mint appears to have a reasonable system to prevent edgeless (error) dollars from entering circulation. It is worth a try but don’t expect anything for sure. There are also a lot of ways $25 could be put to good use for unique mint offerings, depending on your likes. The upcoming W ASE set is certainly on my list, and for $139 as of today, would make a great long term investment.

Nick, I would say no, unless an error becomes known. Now if you really want that amount, go for it. These coins have been relatively error free for awhile now. While they are nice, it’s going to be many years before they are worth anything, depending on the state of the hobby, because almost every one of them is hoarded and never circulate.

58. george glazener says

Nick;
    I tried that once w/ the George Washington dollars, which were known to have that error, but I never found one. Pretty slim chance of success with that goal in mind. What I might do though is get a 250 coin box, pick out the heads + tails rolls, and try to flip them on eBay for a small profit each. They command a slight premium. Sometimes..LOL. If I can profit enough after eBay fees, I might be able to save 1 or 2 rolls for myself at zero net cost.

SILVER

As mentioned by Jon and Captain, there does seem to be a shortage of physical silver.

Look at Provident…they are out of stock or all ATB 5 oz coins. Even APMEX only list 3 of the 5 2011 ATB’s for sell.

Also, look at different sites and try to find 100oz bars….most sites are out of stock.

Which brings to question…if inventory is so low (demand greater thn supply), then why is silver spot not going up? The only thing going up is the premiums over spot…around $7 for silver eagles.

60. Rick says

The spot price we see is in the paper/digital markets, and some of those players are waking up and finding that the paper is backed by nothing(well, Mr. Ponzi is backing it)and are selling. The Physical market shows the real spot price. Also remember some of these dealers bought their physical at a higher price a month or two ago, hence the premium. Bad economic data smacks spot down, particularly Europe, but those sentiments are changing a bit. We should see more safe haven activity to give (paper)spot a boost. IMO

61. nick says

Alright, I’ve decided against it… I will check into the west point set. Although I don’t know if there is a point being as there was a low mintage of the 2012 2 coin set and unless theyre graded 70’s they have not appreciated much. I bought a 69 set because I missed the mint’s window. Ill be holding onto them for a while. Im still waiting on the proof 2013 ASE to become available again

Nick, looks like you’ll get a price reduction on that ASE when it becomes available again. Sometimes you luck out, sometimes you don’t. Good move on waiting out the ASE.

63. Ed in Oklahoma says

The Mint would sell a heck of a lot more of the Native American dollars if they were offered individually or even better a P&D set. They do it for the Pres dollar and it makes up a big portion of total sales. Everyone needs a gift to give from time to time. I’m buying if they would!

64. lowell says

Where can I find Sacajawea dollar coins to buy so I can spend them?
    I miss them. I would ideally like to find bags. I am not a collector but a spender.
    People really enjoy receiving them in the stores I find.
    Thanks

65. Mint News Blog says

You can check with some banks. If they do not have any on hand, they may be able to order them for you. The coins are no longer minted for circulation, but there is plenty of supply from prior years still in the system.