2013 Perry’s Victory Quarter Three Coin Set, Price Decreases for Gold and Platinum Products

Today, April 16, 2013 at 12:00 Noon ET, the United States Mint began sales of the 2013 America the Beautiful Quarters Three Coin Set featuring the Perry’s Victory and International Peace Memorial Quarter.

3-coin

The Perry’s Victory Quarter features a view of the statue of Master Commandant Oliver Hazard Perry with the Peace Memorial visible in the background. This was designed and sculpted by Don Everhart. In this previous post, I discussed the extended process of developing and selecting the design.

Each three coin set includes uncirculated versions of the quarter from the Philadelphia and Denver Mints, along with a proof version of the quarter from the San Francisco Mint. The three coins are held on a plastic card that features an image of the site on the front of the card. The back of the card includes a brief description of the site and coin, as well as the certificate of authenticity.

back

The Perry’s Victory Quarter Three Coin Set is priced at $9.95 each, with no product limit or household ordering limits imposed. This product type is also available as a subscription option.

All sixteen previously released three coin sets still remain available for sale on the US Mint’s website.

Price Decreases for Gold and Platinum Products

goldThe recent drop in precious metals prices will result in price decreases for the United States Mint’s gold and platinum numismatic products. These products are priced according to a grid and adjusted weekly based on the average market price of the metals as determined by the London Fix prices from the prior Thursday AM to the present Wednesday AM.

The table below shows the available Fix prices for the weekly period:

London Fix Prices
Gold Platinum
April 11 (AM) 1,555.75 1,525.00
April 11 (PM) 1,565.00 1,531.50
April 12 (AM) 1,548.00 1,524.00
April 12 (PM) 1,535.50 1,514.00
April 15 (AM) 1,416.00 1,449.00
April 15 (PM) 1,395.00 1,448.00
April 16 (AM) 1,378.00 1,432.00
April 16 (PM) 1,380.00 1,446.00
April 17 (AM) ? ?

Based on the available data, the average weekly price of gold should fall within the $1,450 to $1,499 range, and the weekly average for platinum should be in the $1,450 to $1,499 range. In the case of gold, the sharply lower fix prices occurred in the second half of the period, leaving the average price still two tiers higher than the current market price around $1,390.

Provided there is not a very significant price movement for the final Wednesday AM Fix price, the US Mint’s numismatic gold products should see prices reduced by two tiers, or $100 per ounce of gold content. The US Mint’s numismatic platinum product should see the price reduced by one tier, or $50.

The latest weekly average gold price will also serve to establish the opening prices for the 2013 Proof American Gold Eagles to be released on Thursday. A forthcoming post will be devoted to this release.

Also of note, the introductory pricing for the 5-Star Generals Commemorative Coins will conclude this Friday, April 19 at 5:00 PM ET. This means that the individual $5 gold coins and 3-Coin Proof Set should see their prices reduced tomorrow, but then increased on Friday to reflect regular pricing. The latest weekly sales report published today, shows the 3-Coin Proof Set close to a sell out of the 10,000 product limit.

Comments

Now that there is a regular issue quarter from San Fran..I wonder why they insist on putting the proof in these sets.

2. Ray says

Intro prices on the Unc Comm are only $5 less. Makes all the sense in the world to wait until repricing next week when we’ll see a $12.50 to $25 drop

Speaking of clad products, I noticed in the sales report that the Teddy Roosevelt dollar coins seem to have significantly underperformed. Given that he is relatively popular among the presidents, that came as a real surprise to me. I was expecting a surge, rather than a decline, in sales.

Samuel,

The discount on the gold coins is almost meaningless. I wouldn’t worry too much about it. The warning’s more important for the silver coins. I had not originally wanted any, but am reconsidering on at least a proof after Michael and Louis’ articles and pictures on the new laser technology.

4. george glazener says

@CO; For what it’s worth, I will be ordering many TR rolls eventually, but I held off on the 1st day just so I could combine shipping with several other releases. That may have something to do with it, I don’t know.

5. gatortreke says

@george glazener: Ditto regarding the TR rolls. No need to waste money on shipping the items separately.

CO I am waiting for the “special mint release” of the Teddy product the mint indicated they will be selling.

7. Mark in Florida says

I was going to get the gold eagle proofs Thursday as soon as they are released, but waiting until next week, I’d probably know on Tuesday if the price was going down or up.

8. Ray says

Im also waiting to order my teddy rolls (my first pres dollar rolls), so that i can combine with other releases (AGE and Native Amer $ rolls). I absolutely love the 2013 NAmer dollars. They look to be one of the best design imo.

9. EvilFlipper says

Expect the reported sales from last week to be taken back! All the commems and repriced products are probably on their way back already. People have 7 day to return so I expect some number shifts on the sales reports in the next week or two!

@george here is the post from this blog on Dec 31st of 2012

“The US Mint has planned a special product honoring the life of President Theodore Roosevelt. Details of the offering are not yet known, but such a product would likely be very popular with collectors due to this president’s contribution to American coinage.”

11. george glazener says

thanks thePhelps…
    I bet it’s going to be a P&D Teddy Dollar Coin placed beside an UNC ASE and all bundled together in a package similar to last years SSB set.It’ll have several photos of TR with the MINT sculptors that he worked with, some interesting historical text, and all that sort of thing. All for the low low price of 59.95. If they do it right, they’ll have a winner on their hands.

george & CO – I am leaning towards a collection of coins. We also have a mount rushmore quarter this year so who knows… quarter & dollar & and ATB…

13. simon says

I’m a big fan of the sets – have most of them – Marine Corps, Lewis-n-Clark, Buffalo, Botanic, Jefferson. This one should be very interesting too. It will likely have his medal. Perhaps a special minted coin (hint hint ASE) with a “D” mint mark, given that it struck its first coin during the TR presidency. They could have made a special finish Great Sand Dunes Quarter but it is not scheduled till next year.

14. Jerry Diekmann says

The U.S. Mint reminds me of the other big monopoly – Big Oil. Prices go up way, way faster, and prices come down oh, so slowly. You all know this from looking at the gas pump signs. The same policy is alive and well in DC.

15. george glazener says

Even an El Yunque quarter, since TR had so much fun in Puerto Rico in 1898. But that’s stretching it a bit…I wish I had that Lincoln Chronicles (?) set. When did that one come out?

16. Rich says

In searching for more info on the Teddie Set, I ran across the following blurb on the Mint website which I was not aware was the case:

“The United States Mint’s numismatic programs are self-sustaining and operate at no cost to the taxpayer.”

If the Mint does maintain a second set of books for P&L on numismatic products, that speaks volumes as to the intent behind the premium increase and addresses other issues of frustration in selection and design that have been expressed out here of recent. The Mint is not a business, nor is the operating expense of our beloved hobby going to be passed down to the taxpayer. Given that we’re just ~ 50k to 200k collectors per product offering out of a 300M populace (inclusive of flippers and rednecks)…, I guess I’m thankful for the surprises and selection being offered this year by the Mint. A buffalo set would be a nice surprise too.

Good luck to all in bargain hunting over the next few weeks (or longer)!

17. Rich says

Lincoln Chronicles set was late ’09 @ ~ $55 with a one/household limit; it went quick, like 3-4 weeks I think.

18. GMS says

If anyone is interested the 2011 United States Mint Presidential $1 Coin & First Spouse Medal Set™ – Rutherford B. Hayes (XP5) appear to be available again. They don’t show up under the Medal section of the mint website, you have to search under the First Spouse drop down.

19. Fosnock says

I just checked the premiums for bullion, and I hope the mint reprices its products fast and far as the premiums are extremely high if the mint bring Chaco back to $205 or hopefully lower I’m going to grab it. I just wish they would release the 2013s ATBs

20. Jus-a-coin-luvr says

Need some help understanding the impact of the Gold reprice and 3-Coin Generals set. Will an adjustment in the Mint’s Gold pricing come today or next week? With the 3-Coin set not being released for shipping until May, if the price of the set falls before the shipping date, does the Mint adjust the price before charging/shipping? I’m thinking they don’t adjust the price if it goes down.

@Jus-a-coin-luvr – the 3 coin generals set is currently unavailable for product repricing. The repricing should take place today.

The US Mint will not adjust the price, according to what they told me on the phone.

22. Jus-a-coin-luvr says

Thanks Hidalgo for the help and I’ll watch for the new price. Guess worst case, if the reprice was significant enough that I can cancel the order and reorder under the new (lower) price.

23. KEITHSTER says

American Eagle West Point two coin set is on the board set for the 9th. but no zoom yet no new price yet except for the 5***** Good luck ya”ll*^*

Just got my advertisement for the 2013 ASE coin set via e-mail. The Mint didn’t mention anything about using new techniques, zero info about it. In fact, they may even be described by some as looking like the same well known ASE. 500,000 units seemed possible before the recent PM decline, but at $150.00, some people may hold off. Also, take into consideration the packaging which has not changed, and the fact that some dealers may have had a little trouble selling the S two coin set last year, this all may seem a bit too redundant for them. Now the big unknown, how many new numismatic buyers are there?

25. simon says

Dusty,

The full info including zoom graphics is “now” available on the site which is
    linked to the e-mail photograph. I suspect there will be buyers –
    beginning with dealers who will rush them off to TPGs.
    I believe MCM is already offering them on
    their site with first strike and relevant monikers to attract attention.

Oh yes, much better description now, though I don’t believe the zoomed pics do them justice. I’m still am going to pull back a little on their mintage

27. A&L Futures says

I’m curious.

What the “frack” is up with the 2013 5-Star General Commemorative Uncirculated $5 Gold Coin (5G2), priced at $468.35? I just compared this price to the “published” 2013 Pricing of Numismatic and Commemorative Gold and Platinum Products and it doesn’t fall within the $1,450 – $1549.99 range.

The same goes for the 2013 5-Star General Commemorative Proof $5 Gold Coin (5G1), priced at $473.35.

Would anyone care to chime-in?

28. art says

Why would the commemorative gold coins be re-priced into the 1500-1549 range while the the Spouses are in the 1450-499 price range? Did the mint goof? Or are my eyes off?

29. art says

The commemorative golds should have dropped $25. The Mint has some splainin’ to do. Michael investigation?

30. Mark in Florida says

Looks like the first spouse proofs are $940 while tomorrow’s 1/2 oz eagle proof is $920.

31. A&L Futures says

I wonder how many orders were placed for the Commemorative Gold coins under the U.S. Mint’s failed pricing grid? Will they [the Mint] take responsibility for thier mistake and readjust any/all invoices for those affected?

32. Ray says

The US Mints data grid should auto-populate their web store on each Wed, but it is clearly manually entered. Nothing is failsafe. Never has. Never will be.

33. Ikaika says

Let’s hope the FS gold coins drops to around the $600-$700 range. They are still too pricy for the average collector. At $920 I am still out.

The 5-star coins were reduced by $25 as expected, but what’s the deal with the gold proof prices for tomorrow? If you look at the Mint’s grid when gold is between $1350 and $1400 as it is now, the 1/2 oz should be $831, 1/4 oz $428, etc. I do not see the basis for charging $1800 an ounce when gold is under $1400. The spouse coins and commems usually have higher premiums, but the eagles should be lower.They are pricing them as if gold were $1500-1550 like it was last week. There is not a chance I would pay those prices Could it be the case that the price tomorrow will be adjusted to reflect the correct price? .

35. T1 browserman says

lo ho silver….lol……no more hi

We may not be stupid but as P.T.Barnum says we may be “suckers”

36. Ray says

Louis, they take a weekly avg AM/PM spot. We should see the grid drop to the 1350-1399 level next wednesday.

hi Ho Silver, I must be stupid. I buy coins from the US Mint.

37. T1 browserman says

I see the mint is firm on that W.P. set @ $150 3 x spot….maybe we’re both and don’t know it……stupid suckers…. :)

Nah….im just a collector NOT a flipper or investor.

38. T1 browserman says

BTW I happen to like this 3 coin clad offering and collect them and the individual presidential 4 coin set….just wish the first 10 quarters were picturesque as they are now.

Thanks, Ray. I knew about the weekly average, but did not realize the average for the past week was still in the $1550-1600 range. I thought it was a lot lower. Anyway, the drop will come next week.

As for the W. Pt. sets, I really think it’s a mistake to think of the price in spot terms. And they can still change the price any time until May 9. If you want bullion eagles, go buy them for $5 over spot from a dealer. These are collector coins that have much higher production costs.

40. T1 browserman says

Louis

These are special sets as the blanks are undergoing painstaking processes so I do believe the $150 is reasonable for a collector. But as far as the usual .999Ag offerings I could not see them holding a gun to my head for items they are making in one case ASE nearly 1 million and in the other case the 5 oz nearly 15K at more than double the price of pm content…., although, collector items, they require a re-price as I’m sure their profits far outweigh their inherent costs.

41. Ray says

Oh, misunderstood ur post Louis. You quoted the 1350-1400 range. I agree their premium is ridiculous, and it has pushed me away from buying at least one of each, I’m a new collector and will only be buying the ounce versions of the unc AGE and proof Buffs. Anything else seems like throwing away $$. Their price is still well below other countries collectible versions. Well, thats how I justify it personally.

When will the US Mint make some Denver AGEs? I grew up in Philly but have lived in Denver for the past 5 years. Bring the strategic capital of the USA some love!!

Thanks, Ray. And to add insult to injury, if you take proof gold eagles to your dealer, they will offer the same price, plus or minus a few dollars, as they do for the BU coins. If you want to take advantage of the drop in spot, buy some BU coins from a good dealer.

On Denver AGE’s, my understanding is the Denver mint only makes circulation quality coins, not bullion or collector stuff apart from the coins that go in mint sets.

43. EvilFlipper says

Funny. PM’s dropping after record demand for gold and silver. US mint sold record amount on the 17th. Pretty soon the mint will just be selling certificates of authenticity and swearing the gold is really there and you just have to pay a nice fee to get them!

44. Ray says

Thx for the info Louis! It would be super sweet to see some sort of special Denver coinage in Au and/or Ag. Maybe some year they will make a special exception or something. Funny you mention the BU gold bullion coins. I am going to buy 1/2 and 1/4 coins at some point and thats what I’m going to do. I cant justify the proof coins prices for those fractionals. Its good to see gold dipping below 1350. It would be great if the average worked in our favor for the next price adjustment. Its hard to think that I’m making fractions of what I once made, if I were to convert my paycheck to gold value. man I love this blog!!

Ray, if I were you I would be patient in buying my numismatics if you’re looking for growth. It’s easy to decide before-hand on making purchases only to end up with coins that never really reach the kind of value I know you’re looking for. You should buy a few things that you simply like, but then pop on what looks hot when it’s looking like others are staying out. I’m betting that you have that “know that you know” thing going on, good luck!

Louis – Denver mints other coins – the current general halves are minted in Denver. I wouldn’t jump to high to purchase special sets from there though – the quality isn’t the same (IMO). The defect rate seems pretty high on the coins coming out of Denver to me. I’d speculate the general halves will see no MS70 coins and in fact very few MS69 – most will go MS68 and below. That is pretty bad when you consider there will be less than 50k of these minted.

47. Blair J. Tobler says

The UNC General half is Denver, but the proof is San Francisco. I’m no scholar, but from my limited research, I don’t think Denver has ever minted a proof of ANY kind.

48. Brian says

thePhelps: For the 5 Star Generals clad half dollars the PCGS population report is

MS68 – 1
    MS69 – 377
    MS70 – 1

PR68 – 0
    PR69 – 362
    PR70 – 10

I’m sure they have hundreds more that are waiting to be graded, but this is a pretty good sample size.

For comparison, there are no MS70 PCGS 2011 Army halfs which were also from Denver. However, about 1/3 of the 2008 Bald Eagle halfs which were from San Francisco graded MS70.

49. simon says

They also made the 2001 Buffalo uncirc, the 1992 Olympic uncirc (with edge), etc. They should have capability to do a burnished ASE, potentially even a proof. Just takes a decision at the top.

@Brian…thanks – I err’d on that eh? I am guessing the MS70 general halves are going to be exceedingly rare…is that better? Looks like the numbers are going to come in pretty low for a pristine half from the Denver mint, and it isn’t looking to great for a proof surprisingly.