Reverse Proof Gold Buffalo Images

As mentioned in previous posts, the United States Mint plans to issue an individual 2013 American Gold Buffalo Coin with a reverse proof finish to celebrate the 100th anniversary of James Earle Fraser’s design.

Reverse proof coins carry a finish that is the opposite of the traditional cameo proof, generally with raised design elements appearing mirrored against frosted background fields. The finish has been used by the US Mint on a number of occasions across several different series. Reverse proof Silver Eagles have been included within special sets issued in 2006, 2011, 2012, and 2013. A reverse proof Gold Eagle was issued in 2006, and a reverse proof Platinum Eagle was issued in 2007, both as included within special multi-coin anniversary sets.

In this post, I wanted to share some images of the upcoming coin. Click on any image for a larger version.

US Mint imageThe image above is the product image provided by the US Mint. Unfortunately, not very much differentiation is apparent between the frosted and mirrored design elements.

Starting with 2013-dated coins, the US Mint altered their photography style for proof (and reverse proof) coinage. Since the mid-1980’s they had used a full or partial black background to distinguish mirrored features of a coin. With the improvements in photographic techniques and equipment, they decided to stop using the heavy black shadowing on proof coins. According to the Mint, “Digital photography capabilities have improved to the extent that we can now distinguish between the mirror-like background of a proof coin and the finish of an uncirculated coin without manipulating the image with a shadow.”

The US Mint recently displayed an actual example of the 2013 Reverse Proof Gold Buffalo coin at the ANA National Money Show held in New Orleans from May 9-11, 2013. Scott Barman, the author of Coin Collectors Blog, captured the following images which are represented here with permission.

obverse

reverse

These images more clearly showcase the different finishes and provide a much better idea of how the coin would actually look in hand.

The US Mint has not yet indicated the release date for the 2013-W Reverse Proof Gold Buffalo coin. They have confirmed that it will be offered individually and the packaging will consist of the same wooden box as the standard proof coin, but the outer box will be differentiated with a leather-like material.

Within a press release and other communications, the Mint has indicated that pricing for the offering will be determined under the pricing grid for gold and platinum coins available at this link. It is still unconfirmed whether the price of the reverse proof will be taken from the same “American Buffalo 24K Gold Proof” column that is used for the regular proof, or whether a new column will be added with different pricing. If the prices of the two products are identical, demand is sure to be high for this special reverse proof anniversary coin, likely cannibalizing some of the demand from the regular proof issue.

Comments

1. simon says

NICE ! Another solid product from the USMint. Saving up now and looking forward to purchasing one for my collection !

While I think this is a very nice looking piece, I have to say I think I prefer the regular proof gold buffalo finish as opposed to this reverse proof.

Still, for people with the money and inclination, this piece is probably indispensable even with the annoying premiums.

3. DCDave says

I agree with the Captain,
    Regular proof looks more appealing to me.
    Reverse proof will be more unique, so I may be in for one.

Still ticked off about Mint lowering silver pricing after releasing them at higher prices for dummies like me with subscriptions (now cancelled).
    They waited long enough for us subscription folks to not be able to return our now de-valued silver product.

Have a silver grid OR don’t lower prices “mid-stream”. Wait for the next offering so our coins collected by die-hards are not devalued…Not nice!

4. Dan in Fla says

I just don’t like the look of this. Maybe it will look better in person because I will have one. If I can afford it at the time it comes out.

5. Mark in Florida says

I have collected all the proof buffs, and would like to protest the higher prices by skipping this year’s regular proof, but if everyone does that it will be a winner. With my luck it will be taken off sale just when I decide it’s worth buying!

The new U.S. Mint coin images on the website for proofs all look bad. You can hardly see any difference between them and an uncirculated coin. I thought the old way with the partial black background was a more true appearance of a proof, since it made the contrast visible.

7. joe says

I hear ya Mark…premiums are a joke and they can’t be justified no matter how hard some might try. I’m sure this coin will be a huge seller if nothing more than by large companies grading and flipping it. Still, I do like it and will probably end up getting one. The Buffs are my favorite coin of all…always have been.

Also, another thing I thought of. Given that the mint’s proof gold coins are very expensive, is this offering likely to eat into sales of the regular proof gold buffalo? Could we see a series low here?

Brad,

I agree. The new image style the mint is using is just not that good at depicting the coins. I think what Michael’s doing, giving us actual coin photos, is much better. I know it was the actual photos rather than the mint images which were a deciding factor for some of the people in my little group for buying the West Point set.

9. DCDave says

And with PMs sinking, the proof buff is more affordable, but folks don’t like to get burned buying in a sinking PM market (I’m not convinced PMs will stay down…) SO the ’13 Buff may be a new low mintage.

10. Larry says

Something to think about. The mint has only made one other reverse proof gold coin, the 2006 gold eagle. That coin now is a $3000.00 + coin. How many wish they had bought that one?
    Of course only 10K were made, which definitely has something to do with the present value. However, 100K of the 2009 UHR coins were made, and that coin has done pretty well.
    If this is a one year only coin, I just don’t see any downside.

If I was buying based on those images – I think I’d buy the regular proof myself.

12. Wylson says

I also like the regular proof better. But the reverse proof is a nice variation if not offered all the time (see ASE rev proofs).

13. Rich says

@ Mark in Florida – With my luck it will be taken off sale just when I decide it’s worth buying!

I share your sentiment – there is certainly an opportunity cost issue associated with the high premium, in addition to the volatility we’re seeing in gold.

Say this one takes off like the ’06 Buff in excess of 200k+ (which there are hoards of on ebay at various prices).., I think many of us will be on the fence.., waiting to pull the trigger on something come Christmas.., a P Buff, a RP Buff, or Bullion Buff & 400 in cash…???, can’t fault the mint for not keeping it interesting.., timing will be everything for us non-rich guys! :)

14. G says

This is a very exciting product, tempered by sport prices somewhat. My only complaint is that I think it would have been nice to see it issued it as part of a commemorative set- for example, it would be one of two coins, and the other could be a 2013 struck buffalo nickel- available only in the set. Something else in there that would add to the premium. Other ideas are a fractional buffalo coin (like the 08-08 set), or a silver buffalo like the commemorative buffalo set. Just too many good options here to make this a really special offering, so a little disappointed by the stand alone sales. Even if it was only available as part of a two coin proof buffalo series prices really high, it would have made it just a smidgeon more cool. Still going to put it on my want list, though. Probably at the expense of a 2013. I stopped buying the regular proof in 2011 after it sat on sale on the mint site for 2 years.

15. Jus-a-coin-luvr says

The photo provided by the “Coin Collectors Blog” was pretty poor and I would not consider it good enough to base a decision upon. The image in the Mint News Blog link (above) is more useful IMO. I’d wait to get a decent image of the Reverse Buff before deciding which is better (Proof or Reverse Proof). Heck, since we are all so wealthy (tongue in cheek), just buy both! :)

16. Jus-a-coin-luvr says

Sorry, the Coin says 2012, but has an appearance of a Reverse Proof…still searching.

17. Dan says

I love the coin, but cannot see myself buying it because of the price. In fact I am rethinking all the gold products with the premium the mint is seeking. Unfortunately I am caught midway in the first spouse set so I will be forced to pay the premium if I want to continue the set. I understand making a profit but just cant justify this large a jump in price from last year. I am dying to see the order numbers next week on the regular buffalo.
    Sorry for venting but maybe someone from the mint might see the complainants. Hopefully the sales numbers will convey our displeaasure.

Dan,

One suggestion would be to keep an eye on the secondary market prices and try to go that way if you want to continue any US Mint, non-spouse proof gold coin collections. In general the premiums on proof buffaloes and proof eagles seem like they fall after any post-selloff pops pass. Slabbed 69s in particular seem pretty cheap, though I don’t know what the market looks like now, as I last looked into prices quite some time ago.

19. Ray says

Seems like most people are thinking that the 2013 Gold Buffalo reverse proof is going to go the same way as the 2007 Platinum Reverse Proof, more than the 2006 Gold Reverse Proof. Both were one offs. I’m going to play it safe and just get one of each when the buying time is right. Gold definitely hasnt seen its bottom for 2013.

20. stephen m says

CO, I normally don’t buy a lot of gold but i may purchase this one. I would have to agree with Ray, hello Ray, about the bottom is definitely not in on gold for 2013 but see much higher prices for it in the long haul. This RP buff is going to be hot.

21. G says

The bottom line on the buffalo, is maybe a 10% downside risk and 100% upside potential. I know I’m not the only one who has been wanting the mint to make one of these since at least 2009. As far as the hit to everybody’s wallets: be careful what you ask for…

CO, I think there are a lot of new people looking to buy Mint products right now, they may stand down if prices rise, but I doubt mintages as low as last years can be achieved this year.

23. Jus-a-coin-luvr says

Yep, best not to buy near or at the top of a rising price trend and don’t worry about picking the absolute bottom either. If possible, I’m just gonna let time go by, hope for more downside in Gold and watch for when prices are on a definite increase to the upside again. Maybe about that time, the Buffs of all flavors will be available for purchase.

I’m looking forward to the RP Buffalo….I think in hand it will look great. I will watch the sales of the regular proof though and decide later on it…but I will buy the RP for sure.

Received my White Mtn. 5 oz unc today…it is flawless. Provident shipped my two bullion versions today, so I’ll get them next week. If the bullion versions are proof-like or DMPL, then I think they will look better than the P version.

25. Erik H says

The Rev. Proof is mint to demand, if they wait until late Nov – Dec. that only gives them maybe 45 days or less to produce them keeping the numbers low. Look how long they waited last year to produce the first spouses. Gold usually rebounds at the end on the year so the mint’s price might be in the 2K range by then.

I’m betting the Mint uses the 4-week ordering window for the RP Buffalo, probably taking orders from early October to early November. That way they’ll have plenty of time to strike just what is needed. No guesswork and overproduced coins languishing in the catalog until Christmas 2015 that way.

27. merryxmasmrscrooge says

i just can’t put my finger on it, but the photo looks like a black skull, evident by the lightened eyes and teeth with smoke pouring out of his mouth drifting towards the back”. take a look at some of the hand-carved hobo buffalo nickels on eBay, some going for $2000, and you’ll see what I mean, this coin gives me the creeps!
    jacob marley back from the grave

From what I can tell by the blurry photos, I think this reverse proof buffalo will look terrific, yet I feel that a 2013-W Burnished Uncirculated Buffalo would have been more appropriate to honor James Fraser and his design simply because he designed a working circulating coin of his times. The only gold buffalo I own is a 2008-W Burnished $50 Buffalo in OGP.

29. Eddie says

I myself don’t really like the RP’s of any of the coins but I buy them because they are different. We have all been lobbying for some different and they are different which is good. I don’t buy the gold coins because they are out of my price range but if money was not a problem I would buy them.

30. Scott says

From the actual photos of the reverse proof coin, it appears to have smooth frosted fields vs. the somewhat rugged polished fields on the regular proof coin. If this is the case, the artistic beauty of the coin suffers greatly and that may impact whether or not I’ll buy one.

31. Natatack says

The pics do make the regular proof look like the more attractive coin. I think they would have been better served doing a UHR version. Even a half ounce version of the UHR in proof and unc separately or in a set would have made for a interesting offering along with the other ideas of a nickel version would all offer a more affordable alternative.

Interesting observation of the RP field, I hadn’t noticed it until you mentioned it. If the frosted fields are indeed smooth, that would be a drastic alteration of the original intended design!!

Scott and Dustyroads,

You’ve hit on one of the reasons I like the regular proof buffalo better. I feel like the reverse proof style is not really optimal for capturing the intricate nature of this particular coin design. I think an RP would have been better done with the gold eagle rather than the buffalo.

Steve,

I got my White Mountain on Friday too. Mine also looked absolutely perfect and were I to send it in for grading I would expect a 70. I am very impressed with how the mint has done with the quality of the newer AtBs.

34. Dan in Fla says

Yes I received my White Mountain coins from the Mint on Friday too. Guess they didn’t have too many orders so they all shipped Friday. I also ordered from Provident and they shipped my order Friday to be here next week. None of my coins need certifying by anyone else. I just cannot get my mind wrapped around the cost.

Perhaps we are catching the P mint at a good time…all the heavy minting right now is in Westpoint trying to pump out gold coins and the ASE sets. :0)

I got my White Mountain yesterday as well – and agree it looks perfect on the Obverse – but Georges hair doesn’t seem to have a crisp stamp to it (to me).

36. ABC says

The fields of the Reverse Proof Buffalo are NOT smooth. If you click on the first set of pictures to enlarge the images, you’ll see that the ripples in the field are still there. The ripples are most easily seen in the field in front of the Indian’s nose and behind his head (right behind the feather in his hair).

I saw an interesting bit on the CBS morning show this past Friday. They seemed to be going out of their way to dissuade people from buying gold, touting the “strong” dollar and economy. Of course they have been unabashed cheerleaders for the current economic policies. Personally I hope gold does fall a bit more to open a buying opportunity. I do not feel the economy is out of the woods yet, as those printing presses will have to stop sometime. When they do, I feel those that held their gold, or even added on the lows, will be mighty glad they did.

The one thing I don’t like about the ‘mint to demand’ trend is that the products seem to ship after the cut off date. If you get a flawed coin you risk not getting a replacement for it. One might have to order multiples as insurance against this, but that could be expensive depending on the coin(s). Just got my annual proof set in and it’s going back. There is a big blob of metal on the nickel, Jefferson’s shoulder, right were the designers initials are. This is what got me thinking about the return issue. BTW the White Mountain is beautiful… perfect condition.

38. paulg says

i am a collector of the gold buffalo coins and was thinking the mint would do a reverse proof buffalo for the tenth anniversary in 2016. now that it is being done this year for the 100th anniversary of the design, i am hoping the mint can come up with something better for the 10th anniversary.
    i bought a 10th anniversary platinum eagle set at a time when the price of platinum was at it’s highest, then, to my chagrin, i saw a sharp decline in the price of platinum and a high mintage for the set. the aftermarket selling price was initially quite high but fell sharply before the year was out. there is not much of a premium for the 10th anniversary platinum eagle in comparison to the 2008 buffalo.

39. Erik H says

VA Bob,

I usually order two of everything that I can afford because of the reason you stated. Very rarely do I end up with 2 nice coins. One almost always goes back.

OT…Last year roughly 12% of the orders for the SF Silver Eagle sets were canceled or returned. I would like to say that the percentage will be a little higher this year since buying has been looking mostly aggressive, but can’t read minds. I think I’m going to bet on a higher percentage canceled or going back because of the craziness we saw during the beginning of the ordering window, and what appears to be some very large orders. Ceonel ydkr odjcrs tkbdjy!!

41. Dan says

Hi VA

In regard to your statement regarding the mint to order situation in reference to returnong and not getting a replacement, I had ordered three sets for grand kids, 2 were fine but the thirdset was a mess. Returned it and got a set that was worse which I returned, then received a third set witha notice that if I did not keep it, I could not get a replacement after three sets shipped.

Anyway, the third set was also damaged so I wound up calling the mint and after being switched twice, I left a message. I recieved a call back, I wish I could remember the womans name, but she said she would look into it and see what she could do. Anyway, whatever she did, she made arrangements for another set and this time it was a keeper. Sometimes I can be critical of the mint but on this occaision, they really shined.

I have in the past only ordered 1 of any given product from the mint. I am going to have to look at changing that to ordering at least 2 from now on. My reason isn’t because I get flawed product, because I seem to have fair luck with that – but rather to sell 1 if the price is right. Last year I order several items – and then they all sold out and became popular and pricey and made me wish I had at least 1 of each to sell.

My Silver proof set is actually probably one of the nicer ones I’ve gotten lately – nearly every coin looks PF70 to my old eyes. :)

43. Ray says

Received my White Mountain 5 ounce silver coin yesterday. I opened it about an hour ago. I have to return it. There is a sizable ding along the edge, and the other edge is rough, and there are spots to the left of Washington’s face. I hope my replacement fares better. Seems like most people have been satisfied. Has anyone else received a sub-par quality White Mountain

Erik H – yeah, I’m at that point too (of ordering two), if I can afford it. I did that with the WP ASE’s. I really wanted two, but ordered three just in case.

Dan – Wow, three returns. I’m not so sure I would consider that “shinning” on the Mints part. But I can understand that you appreciated the lady that eventually helped you. It does make me wonder if the returns are placed to the side and resent in hopes that they will find a home to stick to. One would believe that if a return is made some effort would be made not to disappoint a customer for the second time (should be the goal on the first shipment). After all isn’t that what we pay these high premiums for?

Olde Sailor- Gary took care of your question. Thanks Gary. There are loads of Internet/texting abbreviations in common use to shorten paragraphs. I’m not a young guy either, but one eventually picks it up. :)

Can anyone tell me what Mint Products are available for sale at the mint locations. In-other-words, if, for example, proof sets are available on-line, are they also available at the counter sales at the several locations that sell mint products?

Ray – Sorry to hear about your WM ATB issue. Mine looked great, I was really pleased. That sounds like the average everyone is reporting here. The last 5oz ATB I had an issue with was Mt. Hood. It had an 1/8″ gouge under Washington’s nose, clearly visible to the naked eye. Where is the QA?

47. Olde Sailor says

I picked up my WM AtB at the Mint in DC last week. Looks great.
    Expect the bullion WM this week from Provident.

48. Scott D says

Someone got lucky on EBay this morning… 2009 Platinum Eagle – $1611. I wasn’t around when the listing ended, I might have bid a little higher. However, when I asked the seller the “condition” of the coin, he/she replied:

Hi, The condition of the coin is in proof condition. The reason that I did not take pictures of the back of the coin is that the coin is packed firmly in the slot. The way that was intended by the US Mint. Additionally, I did not want to compromise the condition of the coin by forcing it. Anyway, I hope this helps. Thanks for your question.

In other news..I got my 2 WM ATB coins the other day.
    The impressions look great, but one is milky along the bottom of the rim and George’s ear looks like he got into a bar fight. The other has seems to have a small chunk of extra silver attached along the rim and G’s ear looks scraped up too. I’m sending them both back.
    Also, both have very minor scratching on the rim, as if they were slid across a surface. Are slight abrasions along the rim normal? I am near-sighted, so without my glasses, my eyes have built in magnifiers; I’m not sure if most could see the rim scratching wth the naked eye.

49. Brian says

Memorial Day is for remembering the dead.

We have a separate holiday to honor living veterans.

Yes you are right Brian, thank you pointing that out. Btw, I usually fly the stars and stripes on my pole, but today I’m flying the POW/MIA flag, still thankful!

51. high low silver says

thank you for pointing that out Brian…..A- hole!!!…….keep collecting or investing.

High low – Don’t be so hard on Brian. Most vets, myself included, are glad to be appreciated, but this day is for those that gave the ultimate sacrifice. I know plenty of those guys that should have been here today, enjoying the weekend with their families, but aren’t. From the many that made it through, our hats are off to those that didn’t return.

To stay on topic… why did I have to start collecting gold buffalos? Should have went with the cents, would have been cheaper. Looks like I’m on the hook for both the proof and RP this year. My concern is getting a dud RP without the possibility of getting a replacement due to the ‘ship after cut off’ trend. Too expensive to double up on this one.

53. Silver Sam says

VA Bob says:
    May 27, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Amen….VA Bob…to all the vets and the sacrifices they make or have made!

54. VaBeachEd says

VA Bob – I always buy extra coins or sets (in silver), from the mint and then get one or two in 70 grade, from a third party. In the early days of gold Buffalos (2006 & 2007) I bought 3 of ’06 and 2 of ’07 from the Mint, then gold kept rising. At the price of gold now, I will only buy the RP Buffalo in a 70 grade. Some times the premium in the pre-order period is not that much extra, knowing you have a 70, you don’t have to worry about the mint flaw. I do not sell coins, I just like to collect, but I also know a time will come to sell my collection or it will be left to some one who will enjoy it (I hope).

My real love has been collecting Liberty Head Half Eagles (5 dollar gold). I got my 1839, 1839 C (need D) 1840 “broad mill”, all 4 of the 1893’s,1908 then started for those in between when gold started going up. Over half of my gold half eagles are graded, but I have almost stopped my collecting of ungraded old gold or silver Morgan’s, because of the chance of getting counterfeit coins. The other reason is about 14 years ago, when I really got interested in Liberty Head Half Eagles (gold coins almost 1/4 oz.), I could buy a nice AU grade (unslabbed) for about the price of a MS 70 graded (slabbed) American Silver Eagle today.

Now, I collect mostly ASE. I was lucky in 2011 and got my order for 5 sets of the 25th Anniversary Set, into the mint after 1 1/2 hours of trying, on the computer and the phone. They are still sealed in the US MINT box. I also bought 2 sets graded PCGS 70’s signed John M. Mercanti. Last year I got 7 SF sets (sealed in 2 mint boxes) and 2 PCGS 70’s signed John M. Mercanti and 1 NGC ER 70 set. This year I have been buying 2012 W MS 70 Burnished ASE (lowest mintage of the past 5) and have ordered 7 West Point Sets and will buy 3 sets graded 70. I also bought last years 5 oz ATB, in one each of PCGS FS SP 70 and one each of NGC MS 69 DPL ER and just bought my first White Mountain 5 oz. ATB, NGC MS69 DPL ER for $246.51.

Now for everyone upset at me, for talking about buying graded coins, I want you to read again what I have been buying and why!
    I love US MINT OGP coins and coin sets, BUT in MY case I buy them for the love of some coins and investing in others. Like I said before, I buy for me and the future (hope we have one).

If you look at eBay for a 1986 ASE in OGP check the price for under $90.00 and look for a 70 grade and it will be over $500.00. I think that is all I have to say about why I buy graded PR 70 or MS 70 ASE coins, when I can.

Short story, When I was 12 years old and had a morning newspaper route, I saw a bright uncirculated 1909 VDB S penny for $25.00. I delivered 110 newspapers every morning and cleared $11.00 a week. I asked my dad, if I could borrow the money and he said it was too much money for any penny!
    Fast Forward…..About a week ago on eBay a 1909 VDB S AU 58 sold for over $1,200.00 and a MS 64 sold for over $2,000.00 (good price).

I do not make (what most would say) alot of money. I raise cattle about 120 miles from my home in VA Beach (a lot of driving) and have a few rental houses. If I get kicked any more, I will be out of the cattle business. Ive been kicked enough and getting too old for it. Point being, my hobby is also my investment. The value of most modern ungraded coins are tied to the PM price, while the top graded coins do not always follow the the PM price down like the ungraded coins. The lowest mintage, in the top grades, will follow the coin collections upward over the coming years, history has proved it (re: 1909 VDB S penny and 1986 graded 70 ASE).

I just bought a book today, for ASE lovers. “AMERICAN SILVER EAGLES” A Guide To The U.S. Bullion Coin Program, by John M. Mercanti, Chief Engraver, U S Mint (RET.) and Michael “Miles” Standish, Senior Grader, PCGS. It goes thru 2012 also has date by date ASE, populations, mintages, values plus more bullion coins and info.

P.S. My thanks to all the Vets for serving, also my dad is 91 and served under General Patton. My mom passed away last month at 91 and they were married over 71 years. God Bless

Sorry to post this late, may repost if new page updates today.

55. merryxmasmrscrooge says

interesting stories. when i was a kid, i never saw a 1909S VDB penny, but an older kid had an uncirculated 1950D nickel he wanted to sell for 25c. My heart jumped bacause that was the only one missing in my Whitman blue folder. I think he didn’t know it was valuable, so kept a poker face and bought it off him. still have it today, probably worth about $15.

VaBeachEd, You’re clearly doing the right thing. As a farmer, I can relate to the hits you’re writing about. I can testify to losses that happen on a yearly basis. The heartbreak of watching what you love destroyed gets a little hard to bare after a while, and the last thing you want to do is to spend more money on anything that is not going to bring a certain return. It is also clear that you have been doing this longer than I have, so it makes me feel good knowing that I’m headed in the right direction in my own thinking about the hobby/investing. My childhood coin story goes back to about the age of ten, when I bought a Massachusetts Pine Tree coin for $.75 from another kid who’s father owned a full service gas station. A few years later a collector offered me $50. for the coin, I accepted. The coin was in fairly good condition, as I remember it. Interesting thing about General Patton, after the war was over and he came home, he was killed in an auto accident. Another fact you may not know is that all the Purple Hearts awarded to the present time were made during WWII.

57. e says

i hear rumors that there will be an 4 coin set of reverse proof kennedy half dollars ,one from each mint and selling around $80.

58. Eddie says

@e

Would that be $80.00 a set? It would be nice if they made some silver unc’s for the set.

59. Joe#2 says

I think whether you buy alone the 2013-w regular gold buffalo proof 1 ounce or the reverse proof when it comes out, Or both, Either or both pieces celebrate 100 years of the buffalo regardless.