US Mint Circulating Coin Production June 2013

mintageThe United States Mint has updated circulating coin production figures through the month of June 2013, meaning that the cumulative figures now represent the production for the first half of the year. The preliminary production level for the Great Basin National Park Quarter has also been provided.

For the month of June 2013, the US Mint struck 1.07 billion circulating quality coins at the Philadelphia and Denver facilities. This figure was up by 9.68% compared to the total production of 975.59 million coins during the year ago period of June 2012. This is now the sixth month in a row that production numbers have shown a year over year increase.

Total production for the first half of the year has reached 6.36 billion coins. This is up by about 32% compared to the production during the first half of 2012.

The table below shows a breakdown of circulating coin production for each denomination at each mint facility. Separate totals are provided for the month and year to date.

2013 US Mint Coin Production Figures
Kennedy Half – Phil. 0 1.80 M
Native Am Dollar – Denver 0 1.82 M
Native Am Dollar – Phil. 0 1.82 M
Pres Dollar – Denver 0 10.64 M
Pres Dollar – Phil. 0 19.45 M
Total 1,070.12 M 6,359.25 M

The Philadelphia and Denver Mint struck a combined 652 million cents during June 2013. As has typically been the case, this accounts for more than half of overall circulating coin production. For the year to date, cent production has now reached 3.82 billion pieces, up by about 22% from the year ago period.

Production of nickels and dimes were within their typical monthly ranges. For the year to date figures are ahead of their year ago levels by about 8% for nickels and about 25% for dimes.

Quarter production for the month reached 136.6 million, continuing the rebound in production levels for the denomination. For the year to date overall production is 721.2 million, compared to just 136.41 million during the year ago period.

During the month, there was no production of half dollars or $1 coins reported.

Production totals by design for the America the Beautiful Quarters and Presidential Dollars appear below. As mentioned in the past, these production totals by design should be considered preliminary until the close of the year. In the past, the US Mint has reserved the right to restart production based on demand and production capacity.

2013 US Mint Coin Production by Design
Denver Phil. Total
White Mountain Quarter 107.60 M 68.80 M 176.40 M
Perry’s Victory Quarter 131.60 M 107.80 M 239.40 M
Great Basin Quarter 141.40 M 122.40 M 263.80 M
McKinley Dollar 3.36 M 4.76 M 8.12 M
Roosevelt Dollar 3.92 M 5.31 M 9.23 M
Taft Dollar 3.36 M 4.76 M 8.12 M

The US Mint has added preliminary totals for the Great Basin National Park Quarter at 141.4 million coins struck at the Denver Mint and 122.40 million coins struck at the Philadelphia Mint. The overall total of 263.80 million quarters represents another increase compared to the prior design of the series.

Other News

In other news, the US Mint has rescheduled the Great Basin National Park Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coin. This product was previously scheduled to be released on June 27, 2013, however the product was delayed while a price adjustment for silver numismatic products was being considered.

As covered earlier this week, the US Mint announced price decreases for nearly all silver numismatic products made effective July 11.

With the new lower price of $154.95, the Great Basin Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coin is now scheduled for release on July 25, 2013.

Comments

1. Micro says

With silver popping back over $20, I wonder if the mint will go forward with the price reductions. I guess we’ll find out in a few hours.

Micro – the prices will go into effect. Silver has been bouncing up and down for the last couple of years, and the trend is down. The fact it went over $20 doesn’t mean a whole lot when you consider that as an anomloy to the trend, and the pattern is down. If it stays over $20 for a few weeks and is rising…maybe.

3. Micro says

Thx thePhelps for the encouraging words. I’ve been anxiously waiting for noon to get here to pull the trigger on an order.

4. george glazener says

How many of you guys have been, or will be, ramping up your PM purchases in the next few weeks?

5. Micro says

Hi George, I’m not really ramping up since I’m planning to make purchases similar to what I have made over the last several years, but I have put several purchases on hold waiting for the price drop.

6. VARich says

Wahoo!!! RP Buff just popped on the Product Page

Mintage Limit: None
    Product Limit: None
    Household Order Limit: None

7. wdg5 says

This one will be interesting as it is likely to be prices at a Minimum 0f 1700 a pop, lets see how many TV shows order pallets of this. The fact that there is a real danger of PM’s going down towards the end of the year is a major risk for all of the big buyers. Calling all TV shopping networks……anybody home?

VARich… I don’t think there will be the same issues. Most won’t order several, and the total sales will not reach north of 200,000. While it will draw interest, I doubt the servers will burp over the volume.

9. ABC says

200,000? I’m thinking it’ll probably max out at around 50,000 to 60,000. The ultra high relief gold double eagle got around 100,000 units and back then, gold was a lot less.

I fully expect the website to slow to a crawl at 12 noon ET on the RP Buffalo release date. While it’s true that most buyers will likely only order one or two coins each, there will still be a multitude of people trying to get their orders in the queue ASAP if the “First Strike” or “Early Releases” designation is important to them. So yes, the first few hours after orders begin will be frustrating!

Brad – I doubt it. The WP set had 30,000 orders the final day and no one who ordered that day was slowed down at all… I ordered and would never have known there was that much volume going on. This set will maybe sell 75,000 to 100,000 and unless they all order in the first few hours – the server will not burp.

12. Eddie says

I really don’t understand why the Mint is having so much trouble shipping out the WP sets it just amazes me.
    Why are they waiting until the 25th to start taking orders for the GB 5 ozers? Were they just not making any at all. They have the others to go by as to about how many to mint so they could be ready to ship them out or are they just hoping PMs keep rising by be the 25th.
    The same with the RP Buffalo they can at least start minting 50,000 and the day the 4 week window closes they could have them shipped out the 1st and 2nd day afterwards.But of course those would more than likely go to the “Big Boys”.
    On a side note I am so hoping the Mint will come out with a fantastic Kennedy 50th set this is one of those golden opportunity’s that only comes along just so often.

13. Dan in Fla says

Those are some pretty high numbers everybody is throwing around. Where does it say that there is a four week ordering window? I will get a couple but with the low mintages of 2011 and 2012 I would be surprised to see 50K sold.

14. Dan in Fla says

WOW th eU S Mint must be watching. I just got an e-mail from the Mint stating there will be a four week ordering window August 8 2013 to September 5 2013

15. Larry says

The 2009 UHR was available the whole year and sold 100,000. Also, when it first came out it was under $1200 if my memory is correct. The RP Buff is only available for one month, and will probably be in the 1600-1700 range. So 100,000 seems a little high. I would bet on 50,000 or so.
    When the UHR came out, PM’s were rising. With PM’s going down, how many will be willing to risk this much money?

16. samuel says

Larry, can’t agree more. “With PM’s going down, how many will be willing to risk this much money?”, especially for dealers.

17. Hawkster says

Larry:

I think the initial issue price for the 2009 UHR was $1,189. I’m still kicking myself that I only bought one.

18. Fmtransmitter says

@Dan in Fl: ha, the mint isnt sitting around reading this blog, maybe, we all just got the email about the RPBuff..No price change yet as it hasnt hit noon est. I am wanting to buy onw thing also.

I went ahead and picked up a Proof SE 2013. I haven’t gotten that one yet and the best price I could find was $61. I ACTUALLY BOUGHT FROM THE US MINT CHEAPER THAN I COULD FIND ELSEWHERE! YEAH! CELEBRATIONNNN GOOD TIMES COME ON WE GONNA CELEBRATE AND HAVE GOOD TIME..hee hee..

20. DCDave says

Off topic: Anyone think the RP Buffalo may be sold as a set with a regular proof Buffalo or some other item(s) at a later date this year?

21. DCDave says

Also off topic: Spoke to Mint customer service about why my WP Set order placed @ 2:30 PM May 9th (1st day of offering) was still on backorder, they said packaging was made in China and was delayed. China!
    Seriously, US Mint not looking at US companies to make packaging.
    Folks need to speak up!

22. Dan in Fla says

There was discussion of a two piece buffalo set but it was poo pooed because of cost. I think.

I always try to avoid buying anything that is Made in China and this makes me sick. To think the U S government cannot afford to make their own packaging. This sucks.

23. VARich says

@DC Dave – I hope not.., I gotta start saving for the offering Michael posted on Coin Update – Thirteenth Amendment Bi-Metal Commemorative. At least I have a year or two.

Funny thing this, I was just thinking what new and expensive could the mint throw at us for ’14 that would be on par with the WP and RPBuff coins.., gotta feeling ’16 is gonna get real expensive!

24. IPS_STUFF says

Again off topic, but update on my two orders for WP. Both orders indicate they shipped today and have tracking numbers. Both were placed on 5/9 one within 2 hours other within 3 hours (by 3 pm E.S.T.) So I have packages with ship date before first strike deadline (If I cared !!!)

Somewhat on topic – Looking for opinion on how some of the 2012 Quarters will do long term. I see the circulated mintages for Acadia and El Yunque are in the mid 20 million. These figures seem low for a modern coin minted for circulation coin. Thoughts?

25. DCDave says

So your 3pm order ships before my 2:30?

How much $ do they save in packaging not made in USA???
    They do all these fancy/ paid surveys asking us about packaging and then don’t use US companies???

26. ABC says

I have never heard about the packaging being made outside the U.S. But even if they are, it won’t stop me from buying mint products. The coins are still being produced here, not overseas. A high percentage of the goods available in this country are produced somewhere else anyways. As for those products that are supposedly “made in the U.S.”, the entire product doesn’t even have to be made here to earn that label. As long as most of the product is produced here, it can have that label applied to it.

27. Wes says

It is a disgrace that the US Government buys products made in China. Then resells them to unsuspecting Americans.

28. VARich says

In 2001 the Army placed an order for hundred of thousands of black berets made in China and to be worn by our service members. The Army reneged after facing criticism by Congress. Right or wrong, this is just one example as to how prevalent this practice is and how dependent we are on cheap overseas goods.

29. ABC says

There’s also a good chance that some of the gold and silver that goes into making U.S. coinage that you purchase is actually mined from a country other than America. Most of the platinum comes from Africa and Russia, are you going to avoid buying platinum coins altogether because of this?

30. Fosnock says

It is called the Buy American Act, government agencies must buy from American companies, and too my knowledge this includes the US Mint which must attempt to buy all it raw silver\gold from US mines. This is good because it creates American jobs, it is bad because it costs all of us tax payers more money. The funny thing is we get upset about buying black berets made in China, but some electronics that goes into very sensitive government equipment is made by US companies but it is manufacturing plants in China.

IPS_STUFF – The figures are low but it would depend on “popularity.” Due to low mintages and the inability of these coins to circulate a lot of collectors\dealers purchased the coins directly from the mint, this IMO we currently have enough high quality coins to meet demand, however if this series gets popular like the State quarters the price could take off, especially considering the collectors\dealers who bought large percentages of the mintages have already paid an inflated price for the coins, and will want a ROE. Unfortunately with people more concerned about food than collecting quarters I don’t see that happening real soon.

Agreed Samuel, kinda nice actually. As for packaging or China in general, please be aware all that China OWNS a large portion of the US’s economy anyway, and when we buy their goods we are SUPPOSED to be reducing our debt with them. It is part of the New World Order and Global plan for years.

32. ClevelandRocks says

Made in China, sold by USMint, disgraceful.
    This is why the “Rust Belt” rusts.

33. Fosnock says

@Samuel – Not really both stocks and gold can be a hedge against inflation. What is even rarer is seeing gold and the dollar both move in the same direction.

ABC – the silver is guaranteed mined in the US. That is part of the law to make the silver coins produced at the mint – the silver has to be from US mines. I don’t track gold, since I can only afford the 1/10th ounce coin anway.

I am rather baffled by the mints delay being related to the packaging. They knew well in advance this product was coming, and had historical data to show 200,000+ units would be sold, and yet have shipped less than the 1st day order of 138,000… they get an F in basic math over there…

Really – we are nearly a month past the 1st shipment and over 2 months since this was opened for ordering… and the 1st day buyers still don’t have coins?

35. TheCoinKeeper says

I’ve noticed a change in sentiment the last few posts in the comments section regarding the direction of metal prices.

Sure has gotten bearish…

I think a pop to 1350 is coming next 7 days.

36. ann says

I called the mint yesterday about returning damage WP 5 Ozer P and asked about the delay on WP sets and was told too it is lack of packaging. I am ok
    with buying stuff from other countries but only when their markets are open to us. We take a beating in many ways like in intellectual properties for example!

ann – agreed. They probably got a great deal on the price and figured that is the way to go. Then never asked about availability.

An analogy on the buy from the lowest bidder direction we have taken.

It might be ok for the roads you drive on, the buildings you live in and the water you drink… but would you really want to have your open heart surgery done by the lowest bidder. (oh wait that is Obamacare not mint packaging…)

38. DCDave says

Great if the Washington Post/ NY Times would let the public know that the Mint outsources to China. I’m sure the Chinese think it’s hilarious that they are delaying a product from the US Government. Makes the Government seem inept.

39. stephen m says

I’ve worked for our government and know for a fact they always don’t accept the lowest bid. However somebody has dropped the ball. Thank you Ann for your inquiry with the mint. I am disgusted on the shipping of the WP sets to say the least and am ready to give up on the mint, it’s collector coins and my WP set. What would make me, and all of us, feel somewhat better would be an explanation by e-mail from the mint along with an apology for whatever is broke. Only in America. We deserve better!

40. vaughnster says

I ordered all my WP sets within the first 90 minutes of the opening bell. Three orders arrived last week and the last order that indicated a July 19th ship date arrived today! I must say I like the enhanced eagle better than the reverse proof. The packaging delay must be a fairly recent development. Hang in there!

@Samuel

“u guys don’t buy gold/silver pandas, which are made in china?”

I buy nothing that originates in China… as far as silver goes. The propensity for fakes is too great to even bother spending the money.

I received a Fiji Taku and Mexican Libertad today from reputable sources. For a bullion, they are stunners! Love them! Keep stacking!

43. VABEACHBUM says

@ Michael – I continue to be amazed by the cumulative totals for pennies and nickels. Have you started to look at the preliminary numbers for Seigniorage resulting from production of 2013 circulating coins?? Even with the accounting revisions the Mint published 2 years ago, I have to believe that this portion of their Seigniorage is continuing to decline.

44. fosnock says

Just got WP sets from Phila gift shop in less then 48hrs…..looks great…

Ditto

Don you ROCK!

Congratulations to all who are getting the RP buffalo, what a great coin. I’m having to consider canceling both WP eagles, but I think I’m going to stick it out and keep one of the two. I’ve noticed some of you guys talking about some pretty high numbers for the RP buffalo. Seems to me a coin that expensive would see lower numbers, but what do I know! If I begin to see sunlight before the end of the ordering window, I’m going to seriously consider one.

Congrats who all received their WP SE’s before the botched Mint shipping issues. You all deserve these much sooner than late Sept. if you ordered the first day. Saw Jesse James post a pic of his 1,000 sets that arrived today. On way to NGC for grading. Should have my graded 70’s in retro in about 10 days.

Not a bad investment if he made a minimum of $100 per set on a $14,000 investment. Nice way to make a living.

@ IPS_STUFF –

I bought a few extra rolls of the US Mint’s Chaco state quarters and the Acadia bags. With such low mintages, I believe that these quarters will become keys to the national park series. In fact, the Acadia 2012 D quarters have the lowest mintage so far, of any State or America the Beautiful quarters. Based on historical standards, keys to any series tend to generate demand, and thus, higher secondary market prices.

@ Brad – I totally agree with you. I expect the first day of sales for the reverse proof gold Buffalo coin to be high. Which means difficulty in ordering by phone and internet. Coin retailers, dealers, and speculators want that “First Strike” designation on their certified coins. You can gue$$ why…. Since I tend to keep my coins in original packaging, it does not matter if I order on day one or on the last day of the open window…..

49. Micro says

thePhelps, you made a comment yesterday about the Mint being required by law to purchase silver from US mines. I believe that law was amended back in 2002 to allow purchase from other world sources if not available from US sources. Since 2008 I suspect a great deal of the silver used comes from foreign sources (like Mexico).

50. bigdawg says

got an email from mint this morning reverse proof buffalo to be sold in 4 week window from august 8th to september 5th

51. VARich says

OT: @ Blog –

For 2014, excluding the possibility of a special JFK coin/set – does anyone have thoughts or aware of any special anniversary dates that could lead a special offering (like along the lines of the WP ASE or RP Buff)? Suspect anything for ’14? Thanks – Happy Friday!

VARich – the mint has sent out some questionaires to several people asking for feedback on a couple of different ideas for 2014.

1 of them was a set of silver halves – from all 4 mints, and possibly a reverse proof in there. Or another set in clad… not sure on the details of either set.

There isn’t a planned design change – since congress would most likely need to approve a change – so it would be just some variations on the existing half.

@Micro – you are right they did modify the law to allow for purchasing on the market – I forgot they did that in 2002.

53. VARich says

thePhelps – thanks! Thus far, sounds like ’14 may be a ‘lite’ year.

FM – have you seen a ’13 $8 Canadian? Wonder how they look in person.

@VARich: No I have not but I found a picture of one for you..enjoy..Polar Bear right?

@vaughnster: You are correct, thank you!

55. JagFan says

Interesting Info from the PCGS population reports (as of a few minutes ago):

West Point Label – First Strike

Reverse Proof: 2,756 Graded with 1,830 coming in at a Perfect 70 (66.4%)
    Enhanced: 2,712 Graded with 1,870 coming in at a Perfect 70 (68.95%)

I don’t know how up to date the population report is but I was expecting the volume to be higher (total graded). The 2 to 1 ratio reflects the increased technology and marksmanship of the West Point Mint..

Heck if this trend keeps going, maybe it will be worth more to own a 69 then a perfect one, LOL!

@ Hawkster: I only bought one 2009 UHR too and kicking myself ever since. I was at the LA Convention Center as dealers (and anyone else) bought the limit of TEN. I bought mine from the Mint but could have “cherry picked” at the Convention Center. We all make mistakes we are sorry for!

@Steven m: I already suggested to the Mint that we deserve an explanation and apology from them on this shipping of the WP product. That was a few weeks ago and nothing forth coming from them!

Just checked on my WP coin sets and my order today says it now will be shipped 7/19 up from 8/9. I ordered my sets as fast as I could on the FIRST day. Maybe I will see them sooner. Hoping to see the two sets I ordered from the Philly Mint in a day or so!

I like that we have a month to order the reverse Buffalo but I will order asap. Helps with the money situation as I will be ordering some other little works of art! CC can only hold so much! Wish they would let us know about the spouse coins! Everything in December to make for $$$ difficult Christmas purchases for the family!

57. stephen m says

2 for r money, my order for WP set has moved to 7-19 also from 8-9. I don’t buy gold but did get a 2009 UHR. It was one of those decisions that just happened but am glad it did. I would love to get the RP buffalo but i can’t do without enough of other things which leaves the card and payments and don’t want to do that either. Maybe it’ll work out. The slow shipping on the WP sets, without an explanation, has left a bad taste in my mouth with the mint. Maybe i’ll try some blackeye peas & cornbread like Dusty.

LOL, U.S. Mint and there shipping crap, forget it. Fool me once shame on me fool me twice shame on me.. I for one am done with their P.S. they cost me a bundle…

bigdawg, when they start selling this and it ends, I still, WELL NOT HAVE MY WP SET…..Never ever again…

@ DON: I got my two sets from the Philadelphia Mint today! Happy and excited to get them and share them with the rest of the family! I called in my order late on Tuesday and FedEx brought them this morning about noon. I guess I missed the first persons comments about the PA Mint and WP set I did get my info from you and also the phone number. Again thanks. These sets are really something special.
    @stephen m. Yes, it is hard to come by the money for everything and I try to pay off the CC every month for my purchases. I am thinking, I order in Aug and the ordering runs through the first part of Sept and that puts that purchase for payment the end of Sept. or first part of Oct. I wish the Mint would space these offerings out better for the collectors! I have respect for those that know their limits and don’t get in over their heads. I am having a debate with myself over getting the PROOF Buffalo along with the Reverse one! Would be a nice set. I also NEED the platinum for my set! DECISIONS! I may have to pass on the poof Buffalo
    Good LUCK to all!

Our favorite COIN man is on HSN again this weekend! I have learned a few things from taping the show! Some interesting facts, some true and some exaggerated. Also in a week or so Shop NBC will have the WP Set for sale. They are talking 69s but I imagine there will be some 70’s there too! Different Grading Company! I listen and watch there too, those guys can be funny! Just a reminder to those that like to watch. See you there!

62. merryxmasmrscrooge says

By 2016, the Mint will probably be producing at least 700 million for each quarter design = 3.5 billion per fiscal year. It doesn’t seem out of range to see 1 billion for each design in the future.
    The 2000 P or D Virginia quarter alone had over 900,000,000 minted, and that was 13 years ago!.

63. merryxmasmrscrooge says

So far, the 2013 quarters are below the lowest state quarter 2008-P, or D I forgot Oklahoma mintage at about 197 million I think, so the 2013 mintages are still historically low.