US Mint Circulating Coin Production September 2013

centThe United States Mint has provided updated circulating coin production figures covering the month of September 2013. After the latest update, the year to date production total now exceeds the annual total from the prior year.

For the month of September, the US Mint struck nearly 1.1 billion circulating coins. This represents a sharp increase from the prior month when production reached 724.91 million pieces. It also represents an increase from the year ago period of September 2012 when monthly production was 905.34 million.

Total circulating production for the year to date has now reached 9.41 billion. This production covering only three-quarters of the year has now exceeded the entire annual production total from 2012. The US Mint’s coin production has now recorded four consecutive year over year increases since bottoming in 2009. This feat is made even more impressive considering the fact that production of the $1 coin denomination for circulation was suspended along the way.

The chart below shows the US Mint’s annual circulating coin production since 2009.

US Mint Annual Circulating Coin Production
2009 3.55 Billion
2010 6.37 Billion
2011 8.20 Billion
2012 9.34 Billion
2013 (through Sept) 9.41 Billion

The next chart shows a breakdown of production by denomination and mint facility for the latest month and the year to date.

2013 US Mint Coin Production Figures
Kennedy Half – Phil. 0 1.80 M
Native Am Dollar – Denver 0 1.82 M
Native Am Dollar – Phil. 0 1.82 M
Pres Dollar – Denver 0 14.01 M
Pres Dollar – Phil. 0 19.45 M
Total 1,099.34 M 9,409.46 M

Compared to the prior month, gains were seen for all four of the denominations currently produced for circulation. At 649.6 million pieces, the cent accounted for more than half of the monthly production. This was followed by the dime at 196.5 million pieces, the quarter at 148.6 million, and the nickel at 104.64 million.

There were no half dollars, Native American Dollars, or Presidential Dollars struck during the month. These three series are produced in circulating quality for distribution within the US Mint’s numismatic bags, rolls, and boxes. The coins are not released to the channels of general circulation.

There have not been any updates to the preliminary mintage figures provided for specific designs of the America the Beautiful Quarters and Presidential Dollars series. The same figures available last month are reproduced below.

2013 US Mint Coin Production by Design
Denver Phil. Total
White Mountain Quarter 107.60 M 68.80 M 176.40 M
Perry’s Victory Quarter 131.60 M 107.80 M 239.40 M
Great Basin Quarter 141.40 M 122.40 M 263.80 M
Fort McHenry Quarter 151.40 M 120.00 M 271.40 M
McKinley Dollar 3.36 M 4.76 M 8.12 M
Roosevelt Dollar 3.92 M 5.31 M 9.23 M
Taft Dollar 3.36 M 4.76 M 8.12 M
Wilson Dollar 3.36 M 4.62 M 7.98 M

As always, the figures above should be considered preliminary. The US Mint does reserve the right to restart production for previous designs of these series during the calendar year of issue if conditions warrant.

Comments

So to bring up a topic mentioned in the last thread that relates to this one, are folks here beginning to see AtB quarters circulating yet? A friend at work found one Great Basin a few weeks ago and another guy I work with picked up one Fort McHenry yesterday. We’re still under the totals for the smaller state quarter releases (the smaller ones tended to be about 450M), but with total mintages of 263M and 271M we should finally start seeing the newer AtBs showing up more commonly in circulation… right?

2. VARich says

Routinely see ’10’s thru ’13’s in the coffee gedunk can at work here in Northern VA.., except for Perry and his Victory.

Got some Volcanoes and GB’s last week, though have never seen a PV.

I’ve got 6 total – the latest was a Perry and most of mine are P minted which is odd for my area – we generally only get the D’s.

4. high low silver says

I got about a roll of everything 2012 and 2013. 2011, I got from the bank….Shortage ? Na !

@Captain – I have seen all four of the circulating 2013 ATB quarters where I live in the Washington, DC/Alexandria, VA area. I think it’s because of the huge demand for change/coins in the area — to pay for bus fares, fast food, etc.

CO – It’s the ever increasing use of plastic that is the reason your not seeing much of these. Even vending machines take CC’s. Plus there’s guys like us that pick them out when we do spot them.

7. Ray says

I think they just started shipping the $100 on tuesday. i’m going to check wells fargo downtown tomorrow

Man, I hope gold stays down for a few more days so a price decrease could happen. As long as it doesn’t recover by the next Wednesday pm fix, so far we’re in good shape for a decrease.

Of course, who knows if the price will stay down long enough to get at least some of the 2013 spouses for less, what with the “production problem” delays and all.

Brad,

You’re going to get your wish, I think. Zero Hedge is alleging that someone dumped what is probably a a record-breaking TWO MILLION ounces of gold today in one trade. This caused the CME to literally break for about twenty seconds this morning: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-10-11/stop-logic-gold-slam-was-so-furious-it-shut-down-cme-trading-again

VA Bob,

That makes a lot of sense. I was really surprised when I started seeing vending machines sporting credit card slots a few years ago. A friend I know, whose workplace was moved into a brand new office building, showed me the new vending machines and they take credit cards and are completely computerized. He said most people use credit cards there rather than spare change.

You’re probably also right about collectors scooping them up. I know I do, it’s practically like finding a prize when I do. :-)

Hidalgo,

I have seen some AtBs in circulation, and I have a tendency to grab them when I find them. However, my total “take” of AtBs since they were released is about $3 worth. A friend of mine who also hunts them has found only $2.50 worth. My mother also started looking for them when I told her about them a few years ago and has found a total of one.

i just am wondering when we’ll start to really see them with some degree of frequency – are you seeing them all the time?

Captain,

I hadn’t heard why the price of gold was tanking this morning, so thanks for the clarification.

Regarding ATB quarters, I’ve seen quite a few of them here in Southern Illinois. I don’t think there’s been a single design yet that I haven’t seen at least a few of, even the elusive Chaco Culture. I haven’t been able to get any full rolls since 2011, but I’ve always seen some singles of each design. I don’t know where they come from though, since the banks always claim they never get them anymore.

11. Danno says

I’ve said before that I’ve gotten a lot of them. I collect two of each mint and have gotten 60 of 76 so far plus possibly over 100 duplicates. I’ve gotten every one, except FM, and have finished 10 of them. I’ve even been lucky to get all El Yunque, a P and both D of Chaco Culture, and both P and a D of Acadia. But, I have to hunt them all down. Technically, I’ve only received three through direct change.Every other one I’ve either gotten from somebody else, I have dozens of people looking for them for me, or through a vending machine. You have to hunt them down vigorously if you want to get them.

Right now, I’m attending college in the Scranton area and they are in very large numbers here. I’ve gotten dozens of them so far and have seen everyone except Hot Springs, Chaco Culture, Acadia, and Fort McHenry. The most common are the first three of 2013. I have about 20 Great Basin and maybe 15 White Mountain. Almost everyone has been a P and I’ve only gotten 5 D. I’ve needed all the D including the final Yosemite I got last night and somehow both El Yunque.

I want to give the duplicates to other collectors but I can’t find any. If I can’t find anyone, then I’ll just bring back the P to the Cleveland area where I live and start spending them there. Maybe putting back into circulation will get them to other collectors.

Hopefully, I’ll see Fort McHenry soon. I figured I would since I’ve seen so many Great Basin. I’m actually giving a speech at college on the quartets at the end of the month and that’s the only one I don’t have to show.

FM – I don’t believe there will be a big rush for the $100’s. Many places won’t take them. They are only good for very large purchases (which one trip to the grocery store is becoming). Plus, there are still loads of the old bills.You’ll probably be able to pick them up much easier around Christmas, when they are worth less. :)

Funny thing about $100 bills. way back when I in the military, before direct deposit, and when I reached the point to make over 100 dollars during a pay period. We used to get get our check and cash it in disbursing. They would always pay in crisp new bills. 100’s, 50’s, even 2’s. Seems they always gave a $100 bill, even if you only made a few dollars over that amount. I saw had more 100 and 50 dollar bills run through my hands 30 years ago than I do today. Last 100 I had was when I took a trip overseas 5 years ago.

I agree about no rush. With the manipulation of fiat and our Government trying to make a piece of paper SEEM more than it is worth, it just blows another lung full of hot air into the balloon that shall soon burst. Our World these days, IMO.

@ x… speculation abounds to the penny influx. Some theorize they are actively pulling old pennies from circulation…

On a side note off this topic… did anyone see the story of the Vatican pulling the 1 year aniversary Pope medals … seems they had issues with spelling…

Jesus

of all things… who knows maybe they had it wrng in the bible and this is correcting that error?

15. Dan in Fla says

I ordered and received a couple of the Teddy Roosevelt Presidential Discovery Sets. The sets have the notice from the U S Mint included saying that Teddys “Speak softly and carry a stick” could be construed in different ways.

16. Ray says

I’d love to be lucky enough to go get a stack of new 100s and find a # 00000001 or a #123456789. I have to believe tha a teller or other bank employee would already have their eyes out for these sort of serial #s. I could see the new $100 with serial # 1 selling for $20-50k.

@Ray: I actually just read about that. The BEP never releases that serial number. They run several test runs using those early numbers and then replace those bills with star notes. A consecutive number is possible along with many other popular numbers/sequences. They record the numbers that are to be destroyed and replace those exact numbers with the new notes.

18. merryxmasmrscrooge says

There was a $100 Bill on sale on eBay for $152, over 20 bids at that time.
    Serial Number AA 00000000, yeah all zeros.
    Didn’t have time to check but I bet it that raked in $10Gs or more.

So I talked to the guy who travels to all the ATB release ceremonies, Chuck Taylor. Nice guy. He is the one who designs the cancel stamp for the rolls and gets them USPS stamped on the day of release. We talked about his plans for the Rushmore Quarters release. He has been to all but 1 of the ceremonies. The one he missed was due to a family health issue. Anywho, we talked on the phone about his plans to get to the Rushmore release because they just got hit with a 100 year storm of snow out there. He plans to be there and will be selling rolls of quarters stamped and signed, I think for $30 each. If anyone who is interested in obtaining these let know on here and I can pass along the information he relayed to me. He plans on getting two different zip codes. It is an interesting situation this time with the Government shutdown and this being a National Park he said.

20. john says

the Vatican gold coin they used a L and not the J,I like to get one of them.Who run that mint,you would think they check that.does anyone know if got out.

21. Ray says

I could have sworn I have seen these 100 bills before. were these released and pulled years back?

22. simon says

GMS : They have not yet (as of today afternoon) pinged my card. The delivery date on the website is still 10/11 (not updated). I should receive it in the near future since it is a confirmed purchase.

23. Danno says

An interesting thing happened today. I went to the local Krispy Kremes and noticed that all 20 or so quarters in the cash register were Great Basin. Since I paid $2.10, I got three of them in change. I know that they’re awfully common but didn’t realize they were that common. If only they were Fort McHenry (or Chaco Culture).

I haven’t seen any Fort McHenry quarters in my area. In the last two years I have gotten maybe three or four of each of those years of the Parks quarters (in change). They seem to be very hard to come by and all have the Denver Mint mark. SO, I buy some rolls from the MINT!

The banks keep saying they never get whole rolls of the quarters so I do wonder where they are shipped to?

Amazing the NEW $100 bills did arrive here and I did pick some up! Very very interesting to look at! I will be gifting some of them!

25. high low silver says

Besides the 2013 RP buffalo, did the Mint ever offer a single commem celebrating a circulating US coin ? I imagine the 2001 buffalo doesn’t qualify.

26. simon says

Perhaps also the 2004-05 nickels and the whole quarter series not forgetting next years half dollars.

27. high low silver says

I’m just wondering where the Mint is going in the future with rumor of the 50th RP Kennedy and talk of the Pan-Pacafic commems. Good answers!! I guess the 2009 copper unc and proof pennies are closest ?

@High Low – the US Mint also recognized the 50th anniversary of the Roosevelt dime with a W mint mark in its mint sets….

29. 43dustyroads says

Ok, I have never looked into the mintage totals for the 1996-W Roosevelt dimes, so I was surprises to see them carrying a decent premium. The `96-W is somewhat of a no frills coin, but has some allure, being that the mintage is at 1.46 something million. I still think the ATB-S quarters are neat coins, and with much more allure that the 96-W dime at roughly the same release mintages. In the Gray Sheet that FM brought up earlier, S quarters are listed at $40. per roll,of course they aren’t seeing that on Ebay, but the Gray Sheet keepers seem to think they have a future of higher premiums. So, ounce again I will add to my beautiful US Mint storage box for the quarters. I think I have become a devoted collector, at least it’s coins and not a yard full of crap that’s going to rust, or decay away.

Just a thought about the 96-W dimes which carry a mintage in the 1.46 million area, they do carry a decent premium at resale. That means the S quarters should perform fairly well in the future. The gray sheet that FM mentioned in one of his earlier post lists the S quarters at $40. per roll, if I’m not mistaken, of coarse they are not realizing that on Ebay, but may in the future perform better. Anyway, looking forward to next months release of Mount Rushmore.

@Dusty – I’m not so sure that all ATB S quarters will command a premium. Low mintages in the series may be a “new normal.” Since the quarters were never meant for circulation (like proof coins and some mint sets), low mintages are expected, are not special, and thus, do not generate much demand.

A good example of the above is rolls of Kennedy half dollars. In recent years, no more than 2 million or so of the P and D coins have been struck. These are low mintages for coins that were never intended for circulation. Yet, their secondary market values, in general, remain unimpressive.

32. GMS says

I’m with Dusty on the S quarters. Once the public realizes they are out there many will want them to complete their sets. I’m just waiting on the first company to redo their albums or folders to make a spot for them.

GMS~Good point.

Hidalgo~There is no doubt, at least in my mind that State and ATB quarters are much more collectable groups of coins than the Kennedy half. Of course, if it turns out that no one wants them, then they will be spent and end in up in circulation along with a great number of them that will end up in circulation regardless.