2014 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half Dollar Products

The United States Mint has released some preliminary details on the special numismatic products to be offered this year to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Kennedy Half Dollar. The expected gold proof version of the coin will be joined by a four coin set of half dollars struck in silver and a two coin set struck in copper nickel clad composition. All of these coins will feature the original high relief portrait sculpt executed by Gilroy Roberts.

Collectors have been tantalized with the prospect of special issues for the series since last year when a survey distributed to customers mentioned a range of potential products, which included various combinations of mint marks, finishes, and compositions. Earlier this year, images of two different versions of the half dollar struck in 24 karat gold were provided to the Commission of Fine Arts and Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee for discussion, adding a more upscale offering to the array.

With the announced products, the US Mint is covering all the bases, with what will likely be a low priced clad offering, a multi-coin set silver offering, and a higher end gold coin offering.

Gold Kennedy Half Dollar

The announced products include the following:

Four Coin Silver Set – This product will contain four half dollars struck in 90% silver with the higher relief sculpt obverse portrait. The coins will include a proof version struck at the Philadelphia Mint, a reverse proof version struck at the West Point Mint, an enhanced uncirculated version struck at the San Francisco Mint, and an uncirculated version struck at the Denver Mint. The coins will carry the 2014 date and bear the P, W, S, and D mint marks.

Two Coin Clad Set – This product will contain two half dollars struck in their standard copper-nickel clad composition. As opposed to the circulating quality and uncirculated Kennedy Half Dollars already released, these coins will feature the higher relief sculpt obverse portrait. The coins will be struck at the Philadelphia and Denver Mints, bearing the 2014 date, and P and D mint marks.

Individual Gold Proof – A special dual dated 1964-2014 Kennedy Half Dollar will be struck in a composition of 24 karat gold, containing roughly three-quarters of an ounce of gold. This coin will feature the higher relief obverse sculpt and carry the W mint mark.

A release date of July 24, 2014 has been provided for the two coin clad set. Release dates for the other products have not yet been provided, however the US Mint has indicated that the two coin set and individual gold proof will be offered at the Mint’s booth at the ANA World’s Fair of Money held in Rosemont, Illinois from August 5-9, 2014.

The US Mint has not provided maximum mintage levels or pricing information on the offerings. In recent years, the US Mint has moved away from maximum mintage levels for these types of special offerings and used a four week ordering window with the mintage determined by orders placed during the eligible period.

Comments

1. Gary says

The reverse proof will be awesome! Hopefully they aren’t made to order. But probably will be.

2. Scott says

Seems like the mint has gone a little overboard celebrating the 50th anniversary of the striking of a coin. Kennedy halves are never available at our local banks. Maybe this program will help stimulate public interest and get these coins circulating again.

3. gary says

Way too many varieties. I may be in for a gold as long as it has a reasonable maximum mintage limit. If it will be minted to demand as with the 2013 Reverse proof Buff, I;’m definitely out especially if pricing is high.

4. Pittsburgh P says

Cannot wait… I hope the four coin silver set is offered in Chicago also…

5. VABEACHBUM says

@ Scott – Unfortunately, history has demonstrated that the Mint does not go out of its way to identify new customers, and will rely on the current customer base and the major retailer / TPG relationships to support product sales.

I believe that “perceived” product affordability, when compared to the Mint’s typical PM products and their other unique offerings, will help to prop up sales. But, overall success will depend upon the sales format. If these sets are mint-to-order within a 30 day window, we will see a substantial demand that results in market saturation with little to no secondary market in the short-term. If either or both sets are offered with a maximum mintage that can create and support a sell-out condition, then we will see a fire storm during opening sales.

Anyone have any thoughts on the sales formats that will be used? Going in, I think the 2-coin set will be offered using the 30 day format, while the 4-coin set will be offered first come, first served with a maximum mintage of 400,000 sets.

VABB…I think the 2 coin set will be on sale for 12 months. The Gold coin will have a 30 day ordering period. The silver set I’m not so sure….could be a max. limit like you said, or a 30-day window. If I had to guess one or the other, I’d say a 30 day window.
    If the Mint pays any attention to us, they would know that most of us don’t like the 30 day window.

Assuming the gold coin has a 30 day window, it will be a mad rush to order. As we’ve seen from the BHoF and Silver Eagle sets recently, if you don’t order if the first 15 minutes, you shipment will be months later than the earlier orders. I don’t know why the Mint can’t have more coins minted by the time they go on sale. They seem to always be prepared for the 275,000 proof silvers eagles sold each year in the first week.

I might actually buy a gold half it is minted with a limited supply. If it is mint to demand – I’ll wait and buy it a couple of years from now. The recent hall of fame coin shows what a market is like when you limit the production numbers. The value of halves for a collector will be little more than the content of the metal in the coin after they are released, if they do the mint to demand – and large resellers buying pallets of coins again. That makes for a great market for the resellers – but doesn’t make for a good collectible coin that will maintain value over the years.

I envision much like the 2013 ASE set – the large resellers will storm the gates and buy the production – and have a captive market – as well as closing out the small flippers – who will have little chance of getting the first run coins.

I’ll be in for silver and might even get a clad set or 2 – regardless of the method they are marketed.

8. Erik H says

The more I look at the dual date, the more I dislike it. The 4 coin silver set should be nice. I hope the price is around $79 – $89. ($100 is a little pricey for less than 2 oz of silver).

9. ultra-crepidarian says

Will 2014 be the last year for the Kennedy design? Isn’t it getting a little long in the tooth after 50+ years?

10. Pittsburgh P says

@Vabbeachbum unfortunately I don’t believe there will be a max mintage for any of the JFK commemeratives. It’s probably going to be a year for the clad and a month window for the gold and silver set. I really hope the Mint wises up though and offers it similar to the BHoF commemerative only have a lower household limit and be prepared for the rush and shipping…

11. Jerry Diekmann says

Looks like a nice range of options for collectors. It is a shame that the big companies grab all of the early releases and create an artificial shortage and higher prices with the silly labels they and the TPG create to drive up prices. I for one would never buy an early release or special label coin of anything – it’s the coin that counts, not the label.

And, as one other blogger has mentioned, I think it’s time ro retire this design. It NEVER circulated, even though way over a billion coins have been minted during the last 50 years. The half dollar did circulate one time, almost as much as quarters, believe it or not, and if it circulated again, we could be done once and for all with all these dollar coins, which, regardless of size or composition or design, NEVER circulated. The dollar coins should be rounded up and melted and be used to strike new half dollars. Canada has done the same thing with all its coins that contained nickel, and it hasn’t bothered the Canadians one bit. But maybe Canadians are more even tempered than we Americans seem to be.

12. John c says

I totally agree with you pp. The mint wants to maximize it’s profit, quite frankly I don’t think the mint wants flippers to make money off of their products.

13. Steve says

I don’t see this one appreciating that much. I learned my lesson on the 13 RP Buffalo.

14. Natatack says

That kind of offering should have been done for the buffalo centennial than the reverse proof only. Don’t know if Kennedy will be as popular with the younger crowd, (under 50) . I still remember the day of the assassination . I’m definitely in for the silver and clad stuff but as a few have mentioned if it is minted to demand I might wait for secondary market when and if gold drops for the gold Kennedy .

15. Tonyw says

If it isn’t limited production, why – why buy?? It’s no fun to have something that is “common”. Sorry but it’s true – btw – I have never flipped a coin – I buy because I love them and one day when I am dead I would like to think my family will enjoy the value

16. KEITHSTER says

With no surcharge and if they sell them on the cheap side ya right these could be fun? As I was there 50 years ago I’m in! HiLo what’s up get caught holding the wrong bag of shells it’s sometimes cheaper to just settle out of court? But if that is you the shock treatments seem to have worked. Good luck to Us All We’ll Need It!:>:>:>

17. GoldFishin says

@Phelps @ChicagoP.

If the US Mint really cares about the buy and hold collectors that drive this industry they will implement household limits similar to the HOF offering on both the gold and silver coins. They should also make the 4 coin silver set reasonably priced, which will only have approx. 1.44 ounces of silver content, maybe a touch more because of the high relief, if my math is correct. Apologies if I am wrong.
    I agree with The Phelps, if they do the 30 day window thing, the large resellers will buy up all the early mintage, and most of the real collector base will be stuck waiting on coins that will never be eligible for ER/FS. Although the way the US Mint offered the HOF coins had its problems with the new waiting window, more of the coins ended up in average purchasers hands, which not only gave them a chance to have coins graded in the 30 day ER/FS window, but also gave them a chance to make a few bucks selling OGP to help support their hobby.
    I think the best thing for all parties would be to limit mintages and implement reasonably low household limits. And most important of all….no more free bags, please.

Looks like a win for those that will be able to make it to the coin shows. The “gotta have it now” crowd will drive up the costs, while the rest of us wait months to receive the coins the Mint decides to dribble out piecemeal. the new normal.

For those that are worried about the “Mint to Demand” I have one question. Do you like the coin? Everyone wants to strike it rich, but I’m sorry to say it sounds like too many people are upset if the Mint doesn’t make them an instant profit. The only one the Mint is concerned with making a profit is itself. They make no claim to make anyone a profit.

I have a Buff RP because I wanted it and like the coin. Sure I hope it would be worth more when I do eventually liquidate my collection, but I’m not losing sleep over it. I would also remind my friends here that the same was said about the 2009 UHR.

Seems the dialog has changed somewhat over the years on this blog. Used to be more talk about the merits of the coins, less speculation. I’m all for some of that, but now it seems to be most of the discussion. Perhaps Michael should make a spinoff site like he did with the foreign Mints. He could call it Mint flips and price speculation. It would be very popular.

VA Bob… I like the coin – but then again – I like collecting coins that might turn a profit someday for me or my heirs as well. The mint to demand setting does little for any collector. It churns money for the resellers, and the mint, but doesn’t do much else. What is the point of issuing a coin for collectors – which is what it is supposed to be doing by commemorating the “50th anniversary” of the “coin” and then making it mint to demand and open season for resellers.

The actual collector market is finite – based on many recent offerings – the mint appears to have a few hundred thousand actual die hard buyers. These mint to demand offerings mask that number – by allowing large resellers to purchase pallets of coins to flood the secondary market of non-regular mint buyers with coins. The resellers inflate the price for 6 months and then pretty much fade away – move on to the next big purchase money churn.

With collector coins – this ends up diluting the market – debasing the value of the collector coins and leaving us with little more than bullion grade “proof’ coins… ok – I don’t like it that much to add another bullion coin to the mix.

20. VABEACHBUM says

VA Bob – Great thoughts. Like you, I buy the coins because I like them, can afford them, and would like to make them part of my collection. I’ll be picking up 2-3 of each set for myself and as gifts for others. I also might buy one of the gold issues should the fates allow.

I’ve never bought into the TPG hype. I understand it has its place, but only where older coins are involved and when authentication is essential. Still, with nearly all modern coins, and where provenance can be documented, I just don’t get it. I could have done the TPG – FS/ER – PICK ONE OF FIFTY DIFFERENT SIGNATURES dance with my BHOF coins, but had no interest. That non-sequiter does not reflect my thoughts on why those, or any other coins are a part of my collection. No label can tell that story better than I can!!

21. Erik H says

Current melt for 4 silver havles is around $28-29. If you mark up 100% your at $56-$58… add in a display box, shipping etc.

I guess that when the Kennedy collector coins are released, the TPG’s will try to out gimmick one another in their competition for customers who believe in the folly of having their modern issue coins graded. It makes me laugh at the gullibility of those who obsess over first strike, early release, pretty labels, signatures, etc., etc.

Are the Mints production capabilities a factor in deciding to mint to demand, or have limit caps, especially after an extremely successful release?

24. VA Rich says

While I would have thought the mint would have learned a lesson along the way with respect to 1) what products their customers will go bonkers over, and 2) making those products available to the widest customer base.., I have been sorely mistaken, as indicative with the last minute BHoF household imposed limit due to “overwhelming demand” (Really? There’s a surprise) – MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, we learned something on this go around…, & that’s why I’m going with – 5 coin household limit the first week, then fire at will for a total mintage of 50,000.

The mint wants the widest availability to all customers, and to reduce waste by eliminating cancellations, this will get them there. And if this is not the plan, then I’m with Mr. XmasScrooge – screw everybody! hehe ;7

25. VABEACHBUM says

@ VA Rich – 50K for the Gold coin, right? Given previous sales for the 24K PR and RP Buffalo coins, I can see that working. If you’re recommending 50K for each Kennedy product offering, chaos will ensue during each respective, first day of sale for the sets.

26. Pittsburgh P says

VaBob I collect the coin but enjoy the numismatics part of coin collecting too. If not I’d just buy PM bars and rounds if I didn’t care about quality and mintage numbers… I almost never make a quick profit off the Mint and don’t plan on it with the JFK commemeratives but don’t wantba bunch of coins as common as the 2014 ASE…. I will still get at least 1 set of each even if its mint to demand but it takes all enjoyment out of the chase. Since I don’t care about FS/ER I can just order whenever and know I will get my order… Like others here I’ll pass on the gold until I find it for cheaper a year or two down the road. Although most were upset with the BHoF fiasco it brought attention to coin collecting & I for one enjoyed it. Imo if you really like mintage to demand stick to bullion… They make some really nice rounds these days, you can probably find a round thats similar to the JFK half.

27. GoldFishin says

@Hawkster – I have to agree with you about all the labels…it drives me nuts..and the fake signatures are so gimmicky it makes Saul Goodman look conservative by comparison.
    However, I personally believe that the Early Release and First Strike coins have some merit based in reality. Theoretically they are the earliest coins that have been struck, which means they should have the richest strikes, the most polished fields, and the most defined details. I emphasize, in theory, this should be so and I believe it is worth noting, whether by a label or some other method. Bottom line is … at least at this point in history it does mean something for the value of the coin. Twenty years from now, maybe a different story.

28. A Bob says

I would have liked to see a coin/medal set as well as an uncirculated gold. I’m sure to buy some of them.

29. MarkInFlorida says

Some day people will look at that gold version and think he lived from 1964-2014. Or think it’s a rare error!

Why do you guys spend so much time speculating when we simply do not know what the Mint is going to do yet? Also, as far as the signature labels, some are facsimile and some are real, but as far as I know they are only available to bulk submitters. And the ones with real sigs are only sold on the wholesale dealer market to other dealers. I researched all this stuff and talked to the dealers involved when I wrote about it.

The real question to me is why has the Mint announced it will sell the gold coins at the show but not given a regular release date? If they sell them at the show before selling through regular channels, all hell will break loose, and I have indicated as much, but so far can’t get an answer. What are they waiting for? And who really benefits from show sales. You guessed it- the dealers!!

31. GoldFishin says

Good point Mark..very good point! I would prefer a single date, but the 24k gold should really look nice. They might also look at the coin and ask themselves, what is LIBERTY?

@GF- The Mint does not track which dies are used to make which coins. FS and ER simply means they were shipped during the first 30 days the coins were available, and there is absolutely no way to prove they were struck first. However, the market in some cases assigns higher values to those coins, and in the case of the BHOF, because of the shipping delays, they do sell for more. But don’t for a minute believe they are better than the others. In fact, we learned with the 2009 UHR that the best strikes (the proof-like coins worth a ton) were made from the LAST strikes, not the first ones!!

33. RSF says

I’m just trying to imagine how they will use the enhanced unc technique on this coin? Other than the hair, what can be done on just a head? Speaking of that, it might make a nice set when paired with the ’64 proof “enhanced hair” variety.
    I’m also curious as to how the reverse proof will look? I’m glad theyre’ trying though as it will be the seventh coin in the reverse proof sub-set (for those of us putting that set together).

34. VARich says

VABB ~ yeah, thats right, 50k on the gold. PMs & sales are way down, mint isn’t making money like before.., I’m thinking the sets will go to Christmas to keep the mint in the black for the year.

35. Tinto says

@Louis
    “What are they waiting for? And who really benefits from show sales. You guessed it- the dealers!!”

Who knows maybe there are benefits for others too for being so thoughtful and caring of the dealers …

36. VA Rich says

VABB – I’m really thinking we’ll see something different out of the mint with this offering, and this one will be the one to watch. Reason being, in reading over the mint’s FB posts, what the CS reps have shared regarding the heat that they’ve taken, and the fact that the presses are now running at 84% capacity (20 hours a day).., all over a silly circus coin.., you know they’ve gotten a lot of heat else where and probably have an anemic bloody nose right now.

From the flawed waiting room experience, long waits to place an order, the quick sell outs, and delayed shipping whereby if you placed an order late-evening of 27 March, you STILL haven’t received a coin yet, yeah, I would think they’d mix it up a bit and SLOW things down and ship ON TIME. That’s why I’m hopeful we’ll see a low household limit and a reasonable mintage limit (50k) so they’ll mint 100% up front, thereby removing the cancel boxes within 72 hours of placing an order. That’ll cease cancellations and 50k is the market for these (gold halves) in my opinion.

If we do not see a behavioral change from the mint with this offering, given what’s transpired under the big top, then boys, we just gonna have to live it for the foreseeable future as there’s no changing this beast! Good luck all! When it comes to reason and modern releases, I’m usually wrong!

37. VA Rich says

KEITHSTER – yeah, those shock treatments really have seemed to have done a number.., Hi Low popped up for a moment and then he’s gone. Hi Low, where you been dude?

38. Pittsburgh P says

@Goldfishin my post last night in reply musta got lost in cyberspace…
    Anyway someone else stated their opinion on FS/ER and you did say theoretically & in theory it does have merit for the reasons you stated. Yet, even the mint has come out and said there is no such thing! It does have value at this point in time but so did pet rocks & Beanie Babies, during their time 🙂
    Is there a Chicago P around now too GG?

Pitts… that is the major flaw in the FS/ER releases. People buy into this “theory” stuff and ignore the reality. The reality is there is no difference in the FS/ER coins – other than TPG have people rushing to ship coins to them for grading now. It is a marketing hook to get people to rush to ship to the graders and nothing more. The graders know that without some type of perceived value added method – they aren’t likely to get you to send your coins in. So they created this artificial 30 day window – claim there is something special in the coins sold in the 1st 30 days – and have people stumbling all over themselves to send their coins to the graders. It has fueled the label craze as well – I mean seriously do I want to buy a label that has the “likeness” of a baseball hall of fame players signature? What the heck do I need that for and why would I pay extra for it?

40. VA Rich says

Next time you see a slabbed coin – PLEASE turn is over to the backside and note the stock trading symbol – Yes, NGC and PCGS are publicly traded companies.., they are in it to make money. They’re goal is to make money. They must make money. They make money no differently than say, Apple or Ford, they come up with new ‘gotta haves’ and market them.., to make money, meet quarterly sales/revenues, and keep shareholders happy so the board is happy, and everyone gets to keep their jobs.

I’m not defending the TPGs.., I could really care less.., but geez guys, just accept it.., they’re in it to make money – and labels is what they have to work with. And those of you that like to bash those that do buy slabbed moderns…, you guys REALLY need to get over it.., there’s far more important issues in life and in this hobby we enjoy. Enough said. Have a great day!

Rich – I have nothing against slabbed coins. I own several myself. That said, I think part of the purpose of having a blog about coins is to educate newcomers to the hobby as well. Some might buy into the theory of FS/ER coins and not know the market value of TPG stock.

My take on the labels like this. You go to the bakery and find marshmallow puffed rice treats on the shelf for fifty cents and next to them you see Rice Crispy marshmallow treats for a dollar. There is a bakery chef standing there telling you that he made them and they are exactly the same, came from the same batch and just packaged different – one has the high priced label and the other is a generic label – and you proceed to buy the Rice Crispy labeled treat…

42. halfpint says

I saved baseball cards for a long time ,when I started there was fleer ,topps ,donruss,that was about it.The card companies thought the more we make, the more money we can make,so when I quit collecting cards there were about a thousand different cards and different companies .My point is the coin companies NGC and PCGS are doing the same thing with labels if they can get people to pay $2000.00 for a $500.00 coin they are just sitting back and laughing at all of these people. VARICH is so right.I’am just about fed up with all these labels ,anymore it has became a rich mans game,and unless you flip those coins right away ,I can tell you from my experience ,most of these dealers when you go to sell do not give a darn about giving you extra money for first strikes, e/r or any other crazy label

43. Pittsburgh P says

VaRich who was bashing? I own some slabbed coins also. Most being much older and I only have 2 modern coins slabbed(In my collection). I think we all know TPGs are publicly traded and their goal is to make money. I have no issue with them making money but feel people should know about FS/ER labels and make their own decisions… Its only a shipping date not a strike date and holds no difference from the other coins. If you like the label by all means buy it. Buy what you like you can’t go wrong…. I was Just surprised by your rant.

44. Samuel says

labels are fine, but just not that many different ones. i tried to put together a set of atb 69dmpl, i started with the plain light blue flag label in 2010. for the past couple of years, the plain labels became rare, instead, so many signed labels, ….. so i gave up.

45. gary says

@Samuel… I understand why you gave up on the ATB 69DMPL. The slab itself is enough of a distraction to enjoy the coin design and then the willy-nilly free-for-all in label designs & descriptions makes it even worse IMHO. I collect just the ATB P-Mint as I really love the vapor blast finish. After dumping my 2010 bullion slabbed set I began buying the back dates of ATB P and for many paid less than issue price after silver fell.
    The ATB P mints in OGP really really do look nice & impressive when displayed in their capsules. If I could afford it, I would collect the ATB 5 ounce bullion as well but not in TPG holders, just sight seen only. Many are still available & relatively cheap to still do a full set although the Hawaii, Acadia & Denali will be somewhat costly.

I am pleased to see these products are going to have multiple release dates. It will make ordering much less agonizing.

Most people have hashed out the issues pretty well on this topic already, but I wanted to throw my own two cents in on the debate about mint to demand vs. limited mintages.

The reality is that regardless of whether a coin is minted to demand or limited mintage, most of these Kennedy coins are going to be vacuumed up quickly by third party dealers. Regardless of which one the mint goes with, their site is going to get flooded, the site will crash, and most people are not going to get their coins until very late in 2014. The situation has been worsened thanks to the introduction of the waiting room, which seems based on comments from the BHoF ordering period, to be less of a line to get inside and more of a lottery.

My personal opinion is hoping for mint to demand, because it means the stampede might not be quite as bad as this time and I will have a better chance of getting a coin relatively quickly (or getting a coin at all since I have to worry about pulling the wrong waiting room lotto ticket in the event of a limited mintage). I don’t really care about secondary market values because I don’t flip on eBay.

Louis,

One thing I can think of is that if the mint releases a few hundred gold halves at the show, and then the dealers hike up the prices for those coins, it will create even more of a frenzy to acquire the gold halves, even if the coins are mint to demand. The mint may very well be using this as a way to drive up demand.

Jerry,

On the issue of circulating, neither the half dollar nor the dollar coin will circulate until the $1 bill is retired. Most businesses refuse to circulate one dollar coins as change and just dump them in the bank, and that is where the primary issue is. Any renewed push to trying to circulate a half dollar, regardless of the design, will have the same results.

47. stephen m says

A coin will always be what it is. Labels are another separate something to collect, if you like labels, and some do carry a premium. I don’t put much thought into the different labels but do like some of the coins.

I don’t like the dual-date, either. I would have much preferred the single 2014 date like all of the other offerings.

I LOVE thePhelps’ Rice Krispies Treats analogy. That’s exactly right when it comes to those “First Strike” versus non-first strike MS 70 coins. The mind is a powerful thing. Perception is EVERYTHING. Personally, I don’t give a rip about any of them, but a lot of people do. To each his or her own.

It’s funny too to think that if the Kennedy gold coin was sold with an announced 50,000 mintage limit, all of them would sell out on day one and be worth a ton for a little while after that. But, if they’re sold for the 4-week ordering window and only achieve 49,000 sales in that time, they would be worth LESS even though the mintage is lower. Again, PERCEPTION is key.

I forgot to mention that I will be buying at least one of each Kennedy offering, for my own enjoyment.

50. SoapyJD says

Holey Smokes! BHOF $5 UNC placed 3/27 at 7:29pm just shipped. Two seeks AHEAD of schedule.

According to the Mints FB page the two coin clad set will be $9.95. There are no maximum mintage limits and no pre-sale orders.

52. Pittsburgh P says

Thats sweet, much cheaper than I thought it would be. Let’s hope the silver follows suit…

Hee hee. There will still be a stampede, of the buyers who want to get the special clad coins first and have them graded as the oh-so-precious “First Strike”.

54. stephen m says

For those that want to keep up with order and shipping dates and times. silver proof BHOF purchased on 3-27 @8:23 pm. FedEx to USPO and are out for delivery this morning. About time mint.

55. john says

at guy at hsn mike said at a coin show, 150,000 gold mint to order on the other coins. 400,000 or more.That guy seem to know all the time what the mint is doing.

56. Ray says

Not sure how I should be feeling about a 2pm 3/28 bhof gold proof order. Half of me says I’ll be good. The other half is saying buy one in the lull of the aftermarket.

57. VABEACHBUM says

@ SoapyJD – Great News. Congrats!!

I see that you placed your order after the gold coins had been wait-listed at or around 6:30 PM on 3/27. Did you think you were still wait-listed, or had you received some previous notice that your status had changed?? I ask, only because I’m curious to see where you and other readers fell along that Maginot Line, and how much further to the right the order fulfillment might go.

Enjoy your coin!

58. SoapyJD says

For last month they were back ordered to 6/30. Seven days ago my cc got hit. I never got a shipping email, though it shipped today with delivery tomorrow.

59. ips_stuff says

VABEACHBUM – are you pretty confident of the wait list time for gold?
    Do you know the time the wait list went up for silver?

I have two different 3/28 orders for gold and I am in a similar situation to Ray

I did get a 3/27 gold weeks, maybe months ago now.

Half pint,

I agree with your comparison between the proliferation (and ultimate demise) of baseball card companies and TPG labels. The card collector was inundated with all types of sub sets, gimmick cards, etc. The card market was both confusing and cluttered and, in short time, the bottom dropped out and pretty much destroyed the hobby.
    The proliferation of all sorts of TPG labels cannot, in the long run, have a positive outcome for the coin collecting hobby. I can see where future coin collectors will be confused and overwhelmed by the continuing array of gimmicky labels. Folks, it’s time to get back to basics before it’s too late.

61. bg35765 says

Hawkster – there is a big difference though. The demise of baseball cards was brought on by the card companies themselves. From what I remember Upper Deck came on the scene and grabbed market share with better picture quality, glossiness, and holograms.

Topps, Fleer, Donruss, et al. responded by creating new series of cards which overwhelmed the collectors.

In this analogy the card companies are the Mint. TPGs are an optional part of this hobby.

62. jeff says

You cannot compare the BHOF coin with this issue. It will not even be close to the frenzy of the bhof This will be a bust mint offering. Point one mega dealers get first preferencee, get first grading . Next point ship dates with be late 2015 we all had this information this article is nothing new. Until mintage is released and I suspect there will be plenty to go around your best bet for appreciation is with the BHOF although I plan one getting 1 set of silvers only because many will not be able to order the golds. GL to all just don’t see any hype, frenzy it’s just ho hum. To remember Kennedy you have to be old like me the BHOF in my opinion is the coin of the year, decade, century . Buy the true winner.

This is just my gut opinion on the Gold BHOF.
    1. Virtually all the Golds will be shipped by the end of this week. The Mint has apologized way to much on FB for the delays to not have the Gold situation completely under control. They had the Gold production/shipment under control before they ever started posting on FB.
    2. When the FIRST Gold cancellation goes out the LAST Gold will have been shipped or in the queue to be shipped. There is no reason to piecemeal and dribble out the cancellations. You don’t know how far down on the list to go until the last shipment so all cancellations will go out at the same time. They will not start at the end of the list and work forward. All or nothing.
    3. The Kennedy coin post is ‘anchored’ on the Mint’s FB page. Kennedy has become the main topic on FB. I don’t see the powers to be at the Mint to allow the Kennedy to take precedence until after the Golds are complete.
    4. The Silver BHOF is slightly a different story than the Golds. Golds sold out within a day. Mintage was only 50k. Silvers took 13 days to sell out and mintage was 400,000. You can be much more forgiving for the Silver roll out than you can the Golds.
    5. This is strictly my gut opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it…

64. VABEACHBUM says

@ ips_stuff – I found the information in some of Michael’s previous threads.

The change in status for the gold coins can be found here:

Looks like the $1 coins changed status to wait-list at or around 4 PM on 09 APR 2014. The first comments on the $1 wait-listing can be found here:

I hope this helps.

65. VABEACHBUM says

@ ips_stuff – I just posted a comment that is awaiting moderation, probably because it contains two hyper links back to the appropriate references.

While waiting for that comment to post, it looks like the $1 coins changed status to wait-list at or around 4 PM on 09 APR 2014. I made my final purchase of extra $1 coins on 07 APR, when Michael published the thread announcing sales had reached 90% of the authorized mintage. Those remain backordered to 31 July 2014.

66. ips_stuff says

@ VABEACHBUM – thank you
    guess I will need to decide if I want more gold or not from ebay, since my pending gold orders are from the morning of 3/28 and have been showing a ship date of 6/30

Customer service at the US MINT can’t tell you anything useful

I have many silver orders pending, placed from 3/28 to 4/7 so I will have plenty more of the silver

Thanks again.

Jeff,

The last sentence in your above post is all telling: “To remember Kennedy you have to be old like me”. I would assume that most of the posters on this blog were alive when Kennedy was present, especially the non-working, retires who post all hours of the day.
    To us, Kennedy has meaning in our lives, especially being glued to the TV during the events associated with his assignation. Therefore, the Kennedy coin also has meaning to us.
    But to the two generations who were not alive when Kennedy was in office, well, to them he is just another deceased president. So, in actuality, the population of collectors who would find this coin appealing are over 50 years old.

Just to chime in- my gold unc circus coin shipped today too. Plus one proof dollar. Other dollars still backordered last time I checked.

69. SilverFan says

There is a huge difference between the Kennedy offering and the Baseball HOF offering to me. I absolutely had to have the HOF coins. I would like the Kennedy coins, but do not collect the series so am fine if I get none. Maybe others feel similar.

70. halfpint says

HAWKSTER 100% right these labels are crazy ,I do not know if anyone has ever dealt with Chattanooga coins.that guy has a label for anything.I just cannot see where there is any value in paying $5000.00 for a 1/4 oz gold coin because it was from Baltimore first pitch,that is just crazy

71. VA Rich says

thePhelps – I’ll never look at Rice Crispy treats and the elves the same again! That’s a good analogy!

Arches moved up to 6/24 from 7/02 earlier this a.m. / Clad Proof moved forward a week.

72. Shawn says

do I’m relatively knew to collection and haven’t been to any of the shows. if they do sell the silver 4 coin set at the show, anyone can buy it? I hope they put limits on the amount you can buy at the show or the flippers will buy them all up. will the mint release more info prior to the show? the fact that they sold the BHOF as some shows in Baltimore was a complete surprise to me.

john says

June 17, 2014 at 11:46 am

HE BETTER, THAT IS HIS JOB!

thePhelps says

June 17, 2014 at 8:34 am

Valiant…How about One was made an hour ago and one was made 30 days ago and I want a little extra for the one made an hour ago…Oh boy, this could get crazy…LMAO

That silver set is going to sell like hot cakes on a Saturday mornin Church fundraiser..

NGC IS NOT A PUBLIC COMPANY….wish they were…Rich was just ranting…Leave him alone for awhile…lol

77. Pittsburgh P says

bg35765 this is their ticker(in parenthesis)

Numismatic Guaranty Corporation® (NGC®), the world leader in third-party coin grading…

* © 2013 Numismatic Guaranty Corporation of America. All rights reserved.

78. Don says

fmtransmitter,

What about Kennedy’s daughter, Caroline? Maybe they’ll recruit her to sign a few labels.

79. Bob R says

There use to be a rock band called “The Dead Kennedy’s” maybe they could sign the labels…

80. john says

Do you think the mint will cut back on the silver proof set went the half come out they will need alot of sliver half blanks,and the deal of geting some at the coin show is not right the coin people that live on the west coast get notting.

81. Pittsburgh P says

I didn’t say that NGC was publicly traded just that is their private company ticker symbol. Sorry I didn’t clarify that…

82. S. Knight says

Amazing set that should be rather popular just like President Lincoln who passed away via assassination.

The silver and gold set looks promising LONG TERM.

Thanks MINT NEWS BLOG for the information…

the KNIGHT of the Roundtable.

83. DaveB` says

Goldfishin – I’d rather have the first strike off the last die(ineligible for ER/FS) than the last strike off the first die.

84. Erik H says

I wouldn’t say that you had to be alive in the sixties to appreciate the Kennedy Half. I collected halves out of circulation as a teen in the late 80’s working at a fast food joint (even then people used them, just not that often).

I started roll searching halves in 2009 and have found hundreds of 90% & 40% halves, many were GEM uncirculated, maybe that why I like them so much?

Of course those who are over 50 and were alive when JFK was alive may have tend to have a stronger appreciation of him, but polls and many aspects of our culture (like the obsession with his family members) show how well known and liked he remains. He remains the most popular modern president for most Americans. Just read the comments on the Mint’s FB page about the coins.

While the Mint is in the process of a gold Kennedy Half Dollar….what I would really like is the original Walking Liberty Half Dollar issued in gold.

And to also change things up….do the current Saint Gaudens gold design in silver.

As for me, I’m looking forward to to Kennedy’s. I was a few months old the year he was assassinated, so growing up I would handle the halve from time to time. They were the largest coins in circulation and they felt good in the hand.
    Being that I have memories of them is only half the allure to me as the Mint gets ready to release these. I find it rather funny that no one seems very interest that they are being produced in the original design of higher relief. The higher relief is what is going to make these coins look nice.

88. Mike says

I’m definitely interested in acquiring one each of the Kennedy’s but I don’t find this issue as exciting as the BHoF’s. The potential high mintages are a big concern in terms of price appreciation.

OT – In terms of the gold BHoF’s, I received 2 unc’s 2 weeks ago ordered on 3/27 at 2:39 PM. 1 proof ordered on 3/27 at 5:54 PM shipped today and 1 proof ordered at 8:52 PM is in Stock and Reserved with no cancellation box. I have an order for one each of the unc and proof ordered on 3/30 at 11:42 AM that appear as back ordered and expected to ship on 6/30. I’m pretty sure those will be cancelled.

89. karl meyer says

In my opinion the clads should have a limited mintage of 100,000, the silver set should be minted for three months with a limit of one per credit card for the first month,and the gold should have come out at the first of the year with a end of year minting with six months of one per credit card. I would also like to see the mint advertise on tv and print but we know none of this will happen

90. VA Rich says

$5 UNCs are shipping – down to 7 pm now for the gold Unc. – if I recall correctly, we’re post-7:30 for the $5 PRFs.

91. Bob R says

I have 8pm proof & unc $5 shipped today…I canceled some that night after reading this blog that they sold out at 6:30 . I was mad so I canceled 3ea proof and unc thinking I was not going to receive any…oh well at least I did not cancel them all.

92. Bob R says

@Ray, well we need to learn never to cancel anything and just wait it out. I bought 2012 silver proof sets and decided I spent too much so returned them to the mint, 2 days later they sold out. I ordered 2012 limited silver proofs sets, changed my mind and returned them. I have been buying all the ATB times 2 since inception but waited on Volcanoes and Acadia, they sold out before I bought. Guess I should be called “Bad luck Bob”.

The representative pic of the Kennedy half above is not able to show the higher relief that the special issue Kennedy’s will have., too much photo shopping involved. Expect a bolder looking strike with an obverse field that gently rises to meet the edge, that’s why it’s being called a higher relief coin. The obverse will not be as flat as the 1964 obverse.

94. VA Rich says

$5 BHoFs Golds – hey guys, I think we’re a day or two of figuring out on our own where the cut off date/time is for the $5 coins.

If you have a $5 order placed on 3/28 that goes ‘In Stock & Reserved’ – would you PLEASE post that it did and the TIME of the order.

We’ve essentially gone 2:00 pm orders to 8:00 pm orders in two and half weeks – if it goes dead quiet now with IS&R chatting, then we can assume 3/28 orders are dead ducks, let’s hope not.

95. VaBeachSteve says

I’m still sweating my order of $5 BHOF order I put in at 10:30 pm on the 27th. I’m still showing Backordered. To be sooooooo close and not know if I’ll get them.

96. GoldFishin says

My Arches pucks expected ship date moved up to 6-24 from 7-3 fwiw. Still backorder status.

Erik H says
    JUNE 17, 2014 AT 6:40 PM

I wouldn’t say that you had to be alive in the sixties to appreciate the Kennedy Half. I collected halves out of circulation as a teen in the late 80′s working at a fast food joint (even then people used them, just not that often).

Good stuff Erik H!

98. stephen m says

I may latch on to a Kennedy gold depending how it’s offered by the mint. I was in 7th grade when he was assassinated but would buy for the gold and possible future value, not because I was living at that time. I do have and always will have memories of that tragic day. The proof silver BHOF coins delivered yesterday look stunning.

99. maddogdday says

@Steve,

Thanks for the heads up on the 2014 Libertad Proof sets. At only 250 sets (down from 1000 sets max last year I believe) these will be a keeper.

I missed something…. Does anyone have a link to the high relief version of the proposed Kennedy half dollar coins?

I have seen several “high relief” pictures, but am uncertain which one is being referenced.

101. Ray says

Where did the July release date for the special Kennedy clad set come from? I can’t find it anywhere except in this article.

Hidalgo, No one is saying high relief. The sculpt of the proposed Kennedy medal as seen on the US Mint home page is done in a higher relief design, but was altered to be put into production as the half currency when Kennedy was assassinated. I have read that the new Kennedy coin release will be done in the original medal higher relief. If I have this all wrong, please, anyone call it.

Dusty is correct. It will not be a high relief coin like the ones from perth but will be done in a higher relief than existing JFK halves and will be based on the original design prepared for a medal that was modified to expedite production of the 1964 coins.

The July 24 date is on the Mint’s FB page and was in a press release sent to the media.

104. Natatack says

Just got a second batch of proof silver HOF coins and they are much better than first batch, no grease, scuffs,pits,black spots like the first group I received . I think the long delay was worth it. Hopefully my unc’s that are coming in on Friday will be in similar condition.

105. TMMSR says

I am planning on atteneding the ANA show and purchasing a gold Kennedy. However, I have never attended a coin trade show. Does anyone know what time I will need to be in line to insure I am able to buy a Kennedy before they are sold out? More specifically, what time do the lines in front of the US Mint booth start forming for purchases such as the Kennedy coin?

@TMMSR, here is the problem that I have with these show releases. Everyone that reads numerous coin blogs knows how successful the ‘standing in line/grade coin/get special label’ play has been recently. I’ve read where others are planning on flying/driving to Chicago for the Kennedy release. Just what do you think will happen if 5000 people show up in Chicago and only 2000 Gold Kennedy’s coins are for sale? What if everyone is thinking the same thing and all decide to get there early? It may not happen in Chicago but sooner or later in some city there are going to be more people show up to purchase a coin than there is coins available.

107. GoldFishin says

@Cag – I agree with you about the Chicago ANA show…also apparently the Silver Set will not be at the show unless they change what they have already said, which they very well could. Also, the 2 coin clad set will be released before the show so then all you will be talking about is a special label. What if they limit the Gold coin to only 1 per person which it seems I read somewhere that they might do. I don’t know about going to a show hoping to get 1,2, or 3 coins just to pay for the trip I took. Maybe it will work out for everybody, I hope it does, but I think it will be a madhouse. If I lived much closer than I do, Iike within driving distance, I would like to go, but I believe I would lower my expectations so I wouldn’t set myself up for disappointment. That way if everything worked out great, it would really be a bonus.

Also Cag thanks for all your insightful posts. You really put a lot of research and thought into your posts and I appreciate reading them.

108. Clark says

I’ve been collecting Kennedy halves (proofs, uncirculated and all other varieties) for years in Dansco albums and I’ve heard the words “high relief” applied to the early 1964 Kennedy half proof with accented or incused hair over the president’s left ear. It took me a long time to finally be able to spot and buy incused hair coins because it is such a subtle variety and was only produced on proofs minted from the first obverse die in 1964. I’m wondering if the new Kennedy coins will reproduce these “high relief” accents?

Below is a link comparing the 1964 accented hair half compared with the normal 1964 Kennedy half.

109. Pittsburgh P says

Cag didn’t that already happen in Baltimore? 🙂

If they didn’t put a 1 per person limit on these coins no one would get one exept maybe 1 or 2 people and a dealer or 2!!! The silver may be there but no release date for any except the clad. Really we have about zero info on these coins yet. If you want to take a shot go early but don’t go just for the coin! There is a great show goin on, it’s not just a release party… I was planning on going regardless, will I wait in line for a coin? Depends, but no special labels for me.

Louis another great article, thx

110. Erik H says

Yes Joseph, lots & lots of rolls. If your bank is nice you can order boxes of $500.

The oldest half I found was a 1902 Barber as well as over 80 walkers (oldest date 1917). I’ve even found Silver & Clad Kennedy Proofs in one roll (I’m guessing that maybe a collector died and their spouse just gave them to the bank at face value).

2009-2011 yielded a higher percentage of 90% silver, now it’s a rare find but I keep searching (the Barber was found last year).

111. Scott says

Has anybody else had a problem getting their items from UPS? I missed a delivery and UPS tells me the mint won’t even allow me to pick up my item at the local UPS facility. One lousy BOHF silver dollar and the mint requires a signature at my residence, I can’t even go pick up a $55 dollar package with a photo I.D. Is this stupid or what?

112. GoldFishin says

@Scott – Here where I live in a medium sized city UPS will automatically retry the package the next delivery day. If you call the number that they provide, you can arrange a delivery day that you will be at home. If that doesn’t work for you….it is really a problem. They also will not allow pickups at the facility here where I live. I sometimes have my neighbor sign for my packages when they come. He has an at home business and knows the driver very well. But this issue is another reason I got a PO Box. I got my first delivery to it today and it worked out great.

113. Scott says

@GoldFishin Thanks. I’ve never had this problem before, but my old UPS driver retired and he usually delivered my area later in the day. I’ve also picked up items @ UPS in the past with no problem, so I’m wondering if it’s UPS or the Mint that’s driving this “No Pick-up” policy.

@Pittsburgh P, If I lived close enough I would go. I just wished the Mint would be more forthcoming with these offerings. You know those at the Mint know exactly how many Golds will be offered in Chicago. Instead of sharing that with a few why not share it with all and then all can plan accordingly? Give everyone the same information. If they are going to offer 200 or 2000, whatever, just share that information and not let a select few know what is going to happen.
    I can see a few people living in Chicago tell a ‘select’ few friends and then those friends telling friend and so on and so on. Day of the show and you sell 100 people you know and they are all in front of you and then they run out with the guy directly in front of you…

115. VA Rich says

Cag – well said, & yes, it’ll happen in Chicago on this go around, no question about it…imo. And thus, setting low expectations here…, though would like to experience it once and if I get one, that’s ok too! And perhaps meet some of you fine gentlemen out here on MNB over a cold one.., and see some fellow clowns from the circus! ;7

116. GoldFishin says

OT – not a plug here for Ebay, but if you have had your eye on a high dollar purchase over $150 you get 4X ebay bucks for the rest of the day. I purchased a couple of things today and sort of stumbled into it, but it really is a nice bonus. I got enough to make another substantial purchase with it next month.

117. Ray says

What was the in person limit for the baseball hall of fame coins? Was there a limit on all offerings in person? Wouldnt people just loop through the line relentlessly until the had the quantity the wanted? I hope they offer the silver set. That’s what I’m most excited for. And I wont have to wait months for the mint to fulfill me order.

Ray,
    No problem . You won’t have to wait months for your Kennedy silvers. Just call the Philly gift shop shortly after after the ordering period begins and they will have them available to ship to you.

Scott…not sure what issues you are having…but none of my regular less than $300 mint shipments are being delivered UPS. I think you might not be telling the entire story here and your single coin is part of a larger shipment?

It has been well documented here – that UPS will not leave the coin for local pickup – per the mints policies…

120. sharks2th says

@Scott – You can call the mint and get them to change the delivery to “hold for pick up” at the UPS facility. I had to do this for the bhof I picked up today because I was out of town Monday when they were scheduled for delivery. I HATE this mint policy of having to call them to have a package held for pickup. It was more convenient when you could call or log on to the UPS website to hold the order. I don’t want my order riding around on the truck for 3 days. The mint has put this restriction on the packages, not UPS.

All of the gold proofs I received had a die flaw to the lower right of the 4 in the date but I plan to keep them. The gold uncs look like 1-69 and 3-70s. The unc silver dollars have some questionable spots and all 3 are probably 69s. The proof silvers I received a month ago had one with rub marks near the rim all the way around on the obverse. The other 3 silver proofs look like 70s.

121. Erik H says

FM,
    I couldn’t believe my eyes! The bank branch was only 6-12 months old and I had never been to it before. I really didn’t expect to find anything but walked away with a few 90% along with the Barber.

Has anybody had luck with roll searching in Florida? Every time I travel there I try 10 or more banks in various towns and have never found thing, too many collectors I guess.

122. Dave says

Eric,
    The Florida “silver half market” has dried up over the past year. I had great success as did others pre-2012. Then someone began a promotional add on talk radio. The “secret” thing to say to your bank teller went viral and …….wallah, silver halves gone!

123. Saucexx says

HOF Gold Proof $5 ordered on the 3-29 still on BO for 6-30. All gold and silver I ordered on 3-27 has now shipped. Lesson to all never cancel, let the mint do it instead.

124. merryxmasmrscrooge says

I was -14 years old in 1963. But the Kennedy half dollars are one of my favorites. He represents hope and a dream and that anything is possible with hard work and persistance. USA ALL the WAY

125. Micro says

Scott and ThePhelps,

If the “complete” order is over $299, then it ships 2-day UPS. So if the order is split up and sent in multiple shipments all are sent 2-day UPS with a signature required. On my mixed BHOF order, each category was sent this way. Even the mint bag was sent individually 2-day UPS and I had to sign for it!

126. Arizona Billy says

I was attending high school when President Kennedy was shot.

Walking down a school hallway, I found a teacher crying uncontrollably. It was late in the day. She kept crying out, ” They shot our President, Kennedy is dead.”

I tried to help her. We walked together, back to the home room. Everyone was in shock…
    My high school released all the students early. The bus ride home was a very somber affair.

127. Ray says

Kennedy died 15-20 years before I was born, but being raised an Irish/Catholic pretty much guaranteed that I’d like him. My uncle had coffee tins full of halfs. Every summer my parents would bring me and my sister to my uncle’s pool, and he’s throw 10-20 Kennedy halfs into the pool and we’d try to find them all underwater in one breath. After that fun was had, we’d take those Kennedy halfs and use them to play an old slot machine. I have a special link to the coin from these memories, and I bet many others have similaar unique experiences. The silver Kennedy offering will be the most popular by far, but all 3 will be a success as far as sales. WHile a fan of the coin, I also would like to see them retire it with class and make this year the final year.

128. Blair J Tobler says

I don’t think they’ll be retiring the Kennedy half anytime soon, without having a replacement for the income. The Mint makes money selling them as numismatic offerings, and isn’t likely to stop selling them as long as people keep buying them. As far as replacements are concerned, I don’t think that’s too likely as it would require congressional action to authorize it, and the lawmakers aren’t going to want to create something new that won’t circulate. Just my humble opinion.

129. Erik H says

FM,

If you liked that story, I have another good one.

A few years back after asking a teller for some halves, I asked if she had any “odd” coins (something that I don’t normally do). She said, “just this one, it’s kinda ugly”. I could already see it was as silver eagle! I quickly said I’ll take it and gave her my $1. Other than some dark toning on half of the coin it was in petty good shape, 1988 ASE for only a dollar, silver was in the mid-thirties at the time. I plan on keeping it just because of the way I found it.

130. Scott says

O.K. Today was round 2 with UPS and here’s what happened. All day long my one lousy BHOF Silver dollar showed to be “out for delivery.” Yes, this coin was part of an order that also included one proof gold coin. At 6:50 local time I checked the UPS website and it showed that nobody was here when they attempted delivery at 5:22, even though I was home half an hour before the supposed attempted delivery. Once again I called UPS and was told the mint dictated that my item had to be signed for at the address of delivery. Absolutely no local pick-up allowed, even with a photo ID showing the correct delivery address. BTW UPS left no delivery notice on my door either today or yesterday. What the heck good is a two day express delivery when your item sits in a truck for two or three days across town waiting to be delivered?

131. Eagle One says

The Kennedy Half should be retired with class at the 50 year mark. I would not mind seeing Neil Armstrong on the half in the future. The First Man on the Moon (July 20th 1969) was the greatest and most recognized American Achievement in U.S. History. Bringing back the Franklin would be too boring. Regan is another good candidate. However, design wise, a lot could be done with an Armstrong Half Dollar. It could speak volumes of American Achievement. Additionally, the U.S. Space Program is Kennedy’s legacy.

Rather see Buzz with that right upper cut to that guy trying to call him a coward and liar about landing on the moon…

Must of worked out a deal on the 14 coin Saddle Ridge Hoard, listed as unavailable on Amazon..