2014 America the Beautiful Quarters Circulating Coin Set

Today, November 13, 2014 at 12:00 Noon ET, the United States Mint began accepting orders for the 2014 America the Beautiful Quarters Circulating Coin Set. This ten coin set includes circulating quality examples of each of this year’s quarters from both the Philadelphia and Denver Mints.

2014 ATB Circulating Coin Set

This year’s quarters feature designs representing Great Smoky Mountains National Park in Tennessee, Shenandoah National Park in Virginia, Arches National Park in Utah, Great Sand Dunes National Park in Colorado, and Everglades National Park in Florida.

The ten coins are held within packaging which can easily be opened to allow the coins to be placed within albums or other storage options. Each set is priced at $5.95 with no stated product or household limits.

These circulating coin sets were introduced by the United States Mint in 2010. Back then, the new quarter designs were difficult to come by in circulation due to the lower mintage levels and fragmented distribution. The sets could have been viewed as an easy method for someone to acquire each of the year’s quarters at a low price point.

The 2010, 2011, and 2013 America the Beautiful Quarters Circulating Coin Sets still remain available for sale at the Mint. The latest sales report shows sales levels of 35,925 for 2010, 32,687  for 2011, and 24,118 for 2013.

Preliminary Information on Upcoming Product

Information is now available on a product which has been listed on the US Mint’s product release schedule as “2014 American $1 Coin and Currency Set” with a November 20 release date. This product will feature this year’s Native American Dollar which carries the theme of native hospitality which ensured the success of the Lewis and Clark Expedition.

set

Each set will include one uncirculated 2014-D Native American Dollar and one 2013 $1 Note. These will be packaged in a tri-fold presentation folder along with interesting historical information about the Lewis and Clark Expedition. The product will include a certificate of authenticity printed on the folder and an outer sleeve.

The sets will be priced at $13.95 and there will be no household limits.

Comments

1. Jon in CT says

The “currency” portion of this 2014 American $1 Coin and Currency Set is baffling because I can’t imagine any possible relationship between a $1 bill and Lewis & Clark. This set should have included a $2 note, instead,, which features Thomas Jefferson, the president who executed the Louisiana Purchase, which secured the land explored by Lewis & Clark. Of course, that set would have needed a different name.

2. Boz says

These are sort of odd duck sets. The qurters are all available in multiple other packagings. The dollar bills must be an aftherthought since there is no guarantee of any denomination of currency having an nnual series date.

Speaking of sets, does anyone know what the plans are for product discontinuance at the end on December or otherwise? Will there be clearance sale pricing, last chance offerings, etc on the new website?

3. Ends in Error says

This has got to be the dumbest thing issued this year. Even dumber than the Kennedy Gold issued at the ANA.

So when does ordering start? I want to be sure to get my early order in for 100 sets.

I’m only kidding of course. This crap is too stupid.

Jon in CT says
    NOVEMBER 13, 2014 AT 4:10 PM

5. Jon in CT says

PFSweb, the company which built and operates the Mint’s new catalog operations, issued a press release earlier this week on Tuesday, Nov 11 about the success of the Kennedy Silver Set product launch late last month. Mint News Blog reported some of this data earlier, on October 29, at http://mintnewsblog.com/2014/10/50th-anniversary-kennedy-silver-set-opens-at-85670/.

PFSweb Supports Successful Inaugural Release of United States Mint’s Kennedy Coin

ALLEN, TX — (Marketwired) — 11/11/14 — PFSweb, Inc. (NASDAQ: PFSW), a global provider of end-to-end eCommerce solutions, has announced key highlights regarding its support of the first online major coin release since the launch of the new omni-channel commerce solution for the United States Mint.

Built on the Demandware (NYSE: DWRE) Commerce Cloud platform, the new online shopping site was designed and tested to handle extreme volume spikes to support the projected demand of popular coin releases.

The highly anticipated 2014 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half-Dollar Silver Coin Collection was released on Tuesday, October 28. During the first 12 hours of the Kennedy collection release, the site handled a max of 272,000 page views per hour, processed in total over 31,000 orders with 85,000 units, and processed up to 24.9 orders per second — the last stat of which is a PFSweb record.

“This early success of our omni-channel solution demonstrates the power of the Demandware platform to support enterprise-class order volumes while delivering a premier eCommerce customer experience. Much of our effort over the past year as we designed, developed and deployed this innovative solution onto our technology ecosystem was targeted at ensuring we could scale the entire solution including our order fulfillment infrastructure to handle these extreme order volume fluctuations,” said Michael Willoughby, CEO of PFSweb. “It is very gratifying to see our efforts over the past year to provide a world-class omni-channel solution come together during this special event to deliver a superior online buying experience for customers and coin enthusiasts across the country.”

6. Keep Calm & Stack On says

Anyone using Firefox able to pull up this article?

If you’re using Firefox does the last article only show 12 posting or 30+?

I’m on Explorer now and can pull up articles and posting fine, though my Firefox is hosed. Trying to determine if its on my end or what?

7. cagcrisp says

@Keep Calm & Stack On, I use Firefox and I show 34 for Last blog. I have had problems today with the numbers at the top not agreeing with the number of posts

8. CoinsRUs says

Off topic comment: I’m one of the disappointed and angry ones who signed up for a subscription to the 5 oz atb coins at the beginning of the year but didn’t know that the subscription discount ended. My card was charged for the full price for the glades coin. I received the coin yesterday and was just wondering what the prevailing advice is from the mint blog family – should I return the coin and incur the shipping cost to get a refund in the hope that the price will be lowered at some point in the future and buy the coin then? Any suggestions? Thanks

9. GoldFishin says

I use FF and last article 34, this article 9 at present time. I have had no issues, but obvious some people are having problems or they are just busy and not posting.

10. Jon in CT says

GoldFishin wrote on November 13, 2014 at 6:36 PM:

Or, maybe, very few people care about these over-priced circulating AtB sets. The fact that one can still buy the 2010 and 2011 sets directly from the Mint speaks volumes.

Off Topic: It appears a company by the name of FirstModernCoins is unloading a lot of Gettysburg bullion pucks for $100 to $110 on eBay the last week or so. I have two questions: It seems odd that they are doing it now when silver is down and secondly, do these large dealers cherrypick the bullion so that I am bound to get a lousy, beat up one at these prices? Thanks for any insight on this.

12. GoldFishin says

@Stuart- This seller has been unloading 4 years of inventory relentlessly for months now. For a while he had stopped selling but back and selling more now. I can’t speak for the ungraded bullion, but the graded coins have been nice, as I have purchased several.

I have witnessed several sellers that seem to be unloading inventory with what seems to be the intent of raising cash and getting out of the business. It is a tough business selling coins on Ebay right now. Take advantage of it, if you are able.

On the topic of buying raw bullion from sellers that also sell graded coins. My inclination it to stay away as it could be coins that are leftover from cherry picking rolls.

Post a link to the auction StuartBradley please…I have had to read the fine print and HAVE found them to be problem coins but you never know, they may have it all tied up in gold right now…Doh

14. plmark says

@ Ends in Error , you just might want to buy 100 sets of this product!!! The picture above says “2014 Native American $1 Enhanced Uncirculated Coin”.

Stuart Bradley – Unlike most of us here, these business can write off a loss on their taxes when they have to sell for less. It’s just inventory to them.

16. Jon in CT says

This is an excerpt from the PFSweb conference call/Q&A yesterday with stock analysts discussing its 3rd quarter financial results.

Scott Tilghman – B. Riley & Co
    Second [question, this one about] the U.S. Mint, you’ve quantified the impact of the contract, recognizing that that business for them is somewhat lumpy based on product launches. Can you give us a sense as to what your seasonality will look like with that contract whether it’s fairly straight line over the four quarters or if it still has a season or holiday bump?

Michael Willoughby – PFSweb CEO
    So we would expect that the business is fairly evenly spread across four quarters in a given calendar year and what could affect quarter-to-quarter is the timing of the coin drops that you mentioned to the extent that they have two in one quarter and four in the next that just is a factor of a week here or there in the timeline that obviously could impact results from one quarter to the next. But over the course of the year we think it will be pretty evenly spread out which obviously is a good thing for us, it would tend to offset some of the seasonality we have other direct to consumer clients and help us to allocate resources more effectively. I don’t think we would expect that to change, we also have visibility into an upcoming year quite a bit in advance as they set the calendar for the coming year. The end of the previous or early in that year. So we would have visibility to exactly when those coin drops would and be able to build appropriately expectation for the quarter.

Keep Calm & Stack On, I’m on fireFox and wasn’t able to load this page all day. I was only able to see the previous MNB post with a total of 8 comments, then this evening after my daughter had played her favorite online game I was able to see this post.

18. Bob R says

I thought I was indeed banned, rejected, disowned, bullied, reported to the Feds, locked out, forbidden, or the stock option expired, glad to see the blog back up on line.

19. Bob R says

Sith- I do not or try to stay away from coins the mint sells as numismatic which really is bullion with a mint mark. I try to collect the coins the mint does not sell in bullion version. The exception is the 5oz ATB series, which I collect in bullion and P version due to low mintage for each version. I believe in buy low, sell high, and apply leverage to positions.

20. Jon in CT says

Eagle ONe wrote on November 13, 2014 at 10:05 PM:

“Enterprise System.”

Sounds like IBM is involved in the background.

Right on – finally!

Um … “enterprise-class” ≠ “Enterprise System” but, regardless, I’m a big IBM booster (wife is an IBM Distinguished Engineer).

21. Sith says

Bob R – You state that coins like the ASE UNC “W” are over glorified bullion, but you collect it anyway. Just asking why the contradiction.

“I would like to see the mint to drop production of like say ASE W or other coins that are produced in bullion and collection version.”

“I have been buying the mint offering of the ATB P pucks since day one, the ASE W unc,but avoiding the proofs.”

22. Jon in CT says

Eagle ONe wrote on November 13, 2014 at 10:27 PM:

Jon, I said it before and I will say it again – Norwich.

Can’t say I recall that, but, here’s something you should keep in mind:: Terre Haute.

23. Zaz says

Re: Gettyburg bullion puck

As I recalll, the Gettysburgs started selling around the Hot Springs P uncirculated puck was offered for sale at the end of April 2011. All 126,500 bullion coins were gone in short order. At the time, silver hit its peak of $48/oz. Where did these bullion coins go? Someone bought these probably thinking there was going to be another 2010 bullion puck distribution fiasco/flippers opportunity which never materialized and have been sitting on these coins at a loss for more than four years. At the time of release you could not get the bullion Getty for less than $240, so some sellers are going to take a bath or have a huge tax write off for 2014. In this hobby, you win some, you lose some, hopefully you don’t lose your shirt in the process…

24. Bob R says

Sith – I did collect the ASE Unc W up to this year and determined their value in the future to be rather limited along with the proof versions too, I price them just modest premium over bullion. If you want to speculate for future value then the ATB pucks and Gld First Spouse looks strong. Just my thoughts. I just don’t see a three quarters of a million coin production ASE proof to have or own any value over spot.

25. Keep Calm & Stack On says

Same here Dusty – though we seem to be good now, that was odd. Speaking of burnished ASEs, good thing we doubled down this time last year, isn’t?! Looks like many of the of 2013 lows may hold for some time to come without competing some eagle or buffalo variant offering in the works, who knows

26. Keep Calm & Stack On says

So know that you’ve had an evening to sleep to on it, anyone figure out what a 2013 $1 has to do with the 2014 Native American $1 Coin in any respect to L&C expedition?

27. Blair J Tobler says

Eagle One – I regret to inform you that Norwich State Hospital closed in 1996 and is in the process of being demolished – – but it was funny, none the less

28. jeff says

2014 C & C set so you pay $19 including shipping for 2$ IN CLAD AND PAPER, who in hell thought this idea up. REALLY
    REALLY
    REALLY DO PEOPLE REALLY BUY THIS CRAP

Both bullion and P Everglades showed up. P is a very nice version, again, no dings on rim but a bit of the frosting missing along the very edge, doesn’t take away from strike as machines handle the edges, then there is is the bullion. If a certain big dealer in OKC had to issue a statement about NOT cherry picking, they sure do cherry pick. At least in this case, the thing was so sealed that I had to do a lot to look at it closely and along the word everglades is where is was held for polishing and the individual didn’t bother to hit the word everglades. I will polish it with the dremel so it matches, VERY carefully. Very DMPL except for that part. Cheers…

relax jeff, no need to yell. Maybe for gifts…Perception is reality and whenever you get any sort of money, it de”notes” a nice gesture IMHO…Pun intended.

31. Blair J Tobler says

Yes, jeff, people DO buy this “crap”. I, among others, happen to like these kind of offerings. I collect for the fun of it, not the potential future “value”. If you don’t like them, fine – don’t buy them. But you don’t have to be a jerk about it. Not everyone shares your narrow and negative view of things.

32. Sith says

Bob R – thank you for the clarification

Zaz – You are incorrect, Gettysburg sat for a long time until the mint discounted them.

33. Hawkster says

Blair,
    Yeah, the Norwich State Hospital in Preston, CT closed in 1996 and demolition commenced a few years ago. Perhaps EAGLE ONE would be interested in “donating” one of the 110 year old bricks to Jon.

34. Hawkster says

Jon in CT,,
    In regard to your cryptic message to EAGLE ONE, in which you remarked that he should keep in mind, “TERRE HAUTE”: Now, this being an Indiana State Prison, I’m thinking that the CT you use in your handle could actually mean “confinement”, as in “Jon in Confinement”. And, to think, you had us believing that you hailed from the “Nutmeg” State.

35. Boz says

Yes all of the players are cherrypickers. Can you blame them in a current environment where buyers are paying 1000 percent premiums for perfection on run of the mill current bullion coins? With the high profit margins on slabbed stuff, the lesser quality coins can be pushed out the door at cost or even as loss leaders.

One question I do have though are the companies that resell in supposed mint sealed tubes. Are these really sealed or have they too been rooted? Surely this would be an unfair or even fraudulent practice to advertise one thing and sell another, but who polices uch things?

Keep Calm & Stack On, Yes, I am glad I bought as many MS70 PCGS FS 2013 UNC ASE coins that I could on Ebay last year, it was a good decision. I would be lying if I said I haven’t wondered about decreasing interest in the UNC ASE’s, but it should all be fine as soon as we know where the floor for Ag is.

37. Bernie in FL says

A little of topic. Anyone have any ideas on the Mints “Limited Edition Silver Proof Set 2014”? As I see on the website is TBA. Any ideas?

38. Larry says

Watching HSN last night, they were selling the 4 piece Kennedy set and the dude said this will be the only RP Kennedy ever made by the mint. He should read this blog and he would know the mint is thinking about making an RP set every year.

Keep Calm,

I did go ahead and buy an APMEX Mint Direct sealed tube of Great Sand Dunes the other day. I can’t shake the feeling that these later 2014 ATB 5 oz. coins are a STEAL at these prices. These coins are a great way to buy silver, no matter what the spot price does. I have sealed Mint Direct tubes of Mt. Rushmore, Arches, Great Sand Dunes and Everglades now. If only I’d thought to buy tubes of the 2012 Acadia and Volcanoes too! I did buy a sealed tube of Chickasaw that I still have, but it has lost money in the meantime. Still, I’m confident that it will recover eventually.

I’m just glad that we can buy sealed tubes now, and that the debacle of 2010 didn’t spoil that forever. I was going to buy full tubes of the 2010’s, but as we all know it wasn’t allowed. Now, mintages are sometimes quite a bit lower than the 33,000 then, and we’re allowed to buy as many full tubes as we want at very reasonable premiums. What a great opportunity!

40. Jon in CT says

Bernie in FL wrote on November 14, 2014 at 10:40 AM:

A little of topic. Anyone have any ideas on the Mints “Limited Edition Silver Proof Set 2014″? As I see on the website is TBA. Any ideas?

I’ll speculate that it contains 2014 versions of the same eight coins which were offered in the 2103 Set (see http://mintnewsblog.com/2013/12/2013-united-states-mint-limited-edition-silver-proof-set/), PLUS the two silver proof coins found in the 50th Anniversary 2014 Kennedy Silver Coin Set (i.e. the P proof and the W reverse proof). YMMV

41. Hawkster says

Larry,
    With all due respect, where did you see mentioned on this Blog that the Mint is contemplating doing Kennedy reverse proofs every year? I don’t think that is going to happen, with the exception of the 2015 proof set, where the Mint is planning to do all of the coins in reverse proof.

42. Larry says

Maybe I am mistaken but I could have sworn I read it here, but maybe it was somewhere else,. Anyone else remember?

43. Hawkster says

With silver now above $16., I don’t think collectors of the ATB pucks should anticipate a price reduction for the Glades, which is the Mint’s latest offering. In other words, don’t wait much longer before pulling the trigger on this coin. Who knows when the Mint will pull the plug on the uncirculated version.
    Having received mine, the Glades is great looking, with an almost sculptural quality to it. The anhinga displays remarkable detail.

44. Boz says

Brad, yes that is the company I was asking about. How do we know the tubes of pucks and silver eagles have not been searched?

A&L Futures, The Kennedy K13 P&D’s from the set are really struggling with the PCGS grades. Either one or especially the D in SP70 looks like a good coin to own. I’m surprised to so many poor grades for these.

Boz,

Basically, you have to take their word for it. They place an APMEX “Mint Direct” sticker with the description of what’s inside on the tube, then place a tamper-evident layer of plastic around the tube from the rim of the cap to the bottom edge.

I wouldn’t think a company like APMEX would lie about the tubes never having been searched, but in the end you just have to take their word for it.

Brad…I think you made a wise choice in buying a tube of the Sand Dunes. I should of pulled the trigger yesterday….but still a good deal and these may be a new low mintage bullion 5 oz ATB.

48. Joe says

My perspective on currency and circulating coins. We need them to help keep our freedom. Access to electronic or digital currency ( credit cards also ) can be shut off with a few keystrokes by bureaucrats or others.
    Identity theft and other issues such as privacy are other reasons. Composition and size of the coins can be debated and changed but , they are necessary.

I’m just glad that we can buy sealed tubes now, and that the debacle of 2010 didn’t spoil that forever. I was going to buy full tubes of the 2010’s, but as we all know it wasn’t allowed. Now, mintage’s are sometimes quite a bit lower than the 33,000 then, and we’re allowed to buy as many full tubes as we want at very reasonable premiums. What a great opportunity!

Yes all of the players are cherry pickers. Can you blame them in a current environment where buyers are paying 1000 percent premiums for perfection on run of the mill current bullion coins? With the high profit margins on slabbed stuff, the lesser quality coins can be pushed out the door at cost or even as loss leaders.

One question I do have though are the companies that resell in supposed mint sealed tubes. Are these really sealed or have they too been rooted? Surely this would be an unfair or even fraudulent practice to advertise one thing and sell another, but who polices such things?