2014 Eleanor Roosevelt First Spouse Gold Coin

Today, September 4, 2014 at 12:00 Noon ET, the United States Mint will begin accepting orders for the 2014 Eleanor Roosevelt First Spouse Gold Coins. This will represent the fourth and final release of the year for the 24 karat gold coin series honoring the spouses of the Presidents.

Eleanor Rooesvelt First Spouse Gold Coin

The obverse design features a portrait of Eleanor Roosevelt designed by Chris Costello and engraved by Phebe Hemphill. The surrounding inscriptions read “Eleanor Roosevelt”, “In God We Trust”, “Liberty”, “2014 W”, “32nd” and “1933-1945”. Within the design selection phase, both the Commission of Fine Arts (CFA) and Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee (CCAC) had recommended this obverse design from the seven candidates.

The reverse of the coin carries a depiction of Mrs. Roosevelt’s right hand lighting a candle. The light of the candle rises over a stylized graphic of the Earth’s curved horizon to symbolize her life’s work and the global impact of her humanitarian initiatives. The reverse was designed by Chris Costello and engraved by Renata Gordon. Within the design review phase, the CCAC had recommended this design from the six candidates. The CFA had recommended an alternate design showcasing Mrs. Roosevelt’s role as a delegate to the United Nations.

A maximum mintage of 10,000 pieces has been established for the Eleanor Roosevelt First Spouse Gold Coins across proof and uncirculated versions. This is the same maximum in place for the other three releases for this year. The ratio of proof to uncirculated coins will be determined based on customer demand.

Initial pricing for the coins will be $840 for the proof version and $820 for the uncirculated version. These prices are based on an average market price of gold within the $1,250 to $1,299.99 range. Pricing will remain subject to potential weekly change based on fluctuations in the market price of gold.

The three previous releases of the First Spouse Gold Coin Program for this year have featured Florence Harding, Grace Coolidge, and Lou Hoover. Based on the figures from the latest weekly sales report, across proof and uncirculated versions sales have reached 2,971 units for Harding, 2,794 units for Coolidge, and 2,037 units for Hoover.

Next year, the series will feature Elizabeth Truman, Mamie Eisenhower, Jacqueline Kennedy, and Claudia Taylor “Lady Bird” Johnson.

Comments

1. Small time collector says

It seems to me that this discussion would not exist if legislation did not require certain people or events be included in the design of planned mintage’s. To require certain designs means other designs will not be used. Just how did special interests become a design criteria. Special seldom equates to mass appeal.
    Let’s get back to basics of Liberty, United States, and a Date.

Clark-regarding the collecting of modern golds….let’s say I finally had the money to purchase gold moderns at some point in the last 20 years. I would’ve bought AGEs if I were buying American coins. Now I’m partial to proofs, but let’s just say I really splurged and bought not only proofs but uncs as well. I’m not even talking whole sets, just the 1oz coins.

And then come the commems on a regular basis. To buy or not to buy?

And then these FS coins. Since you already know how many there’ll be and how many you’ll need to buy every year for a complete set (8 coins) yikes! How can I afford all that?

If I have pockets deep enough to spend that kind of coin for all those coins might I not instead buy real rarities?

Unless you’re justifying collecting coins under the guise of bullion purchases (as I sometimes do to preserve the household peace) or you’re just into collecting a set that will be truly (and I mean truly) rare in the future for a lot of bucks up front you won’t be purchasing those FS coins.

I think they are by and large ugly but I also believe that in 30 years or so they will be much more valuable than other gold coins issued by the mint today. I base this on the numbers minted and nothing else.

MarkH

3. GoldFishin says

@STC- Absolutely…I second that emotion!! And yes Jon…I meant to say emotion.

Small Time- I really like how you think and agree with you about 99.99% of the time, with the exception of giving us a hard time about returning sub par coins. Glad you are a regular poster.

4. GoldFishin says

OT- there are now more JFK gold auction style listings on Ebay for 69 graded coins(35) than 70 graded coins(33), non-ANA coins. If anyone is looking to pick up a cheap 69, the next couple days may be the time. That didn’t sound exactly right, did it? 😉

@Hawkster – that was a smirky face.

MarkH – Modern gold commem’s are really only a good if you like the subject matter. The history of modern gold commems’s doesn’t bode well (with a very few exceptions) from an appreciation stand point. If it weren’t for the dramatic climb of gold which began almost 10 years ago, many would not even be going for more than issue price. Much better to stack bullion, at the bullion price. Of course if you believe gold will go higher at some point, there are worse things you could have collected over the years. Beanie Babies, anyone?

6. MarkH says

VABob-
    I have stacked an amount of “bullion” that is in the 25% range of my liquid assets. A collector at heart, my better half believes that the collecting part of me is not the equivalent of the investor part. The investor part is why I’m retired. The investor part of me is why I stick with moderns and do not go for the “throat” and buy really rare coins that could be a potential windfall. Boy, that’s hard territory. Almost a job. And not how I want to spend my time anymore, so it’s moderns and/or bullion for me now when it comes to coins.

As CAG has said before, there is money to be made in the stock market. Between that place and real estate I’m good to go. The difference between coins-be they bullion or numismatics-and stocks or bonds, is liquidity and the lack of that pesky little “collector” thingy component. In other words most people don’t get attached to stocks they way they would to coins as collectibles. This makes stocks, in the perception of someone viewing your moves from a highly interested outside perspective, much more attractive…”if he’s buying a stock, at least his only motive is profit”…(I will not comment further here on the numerous admonitions I have read to not “fall in love with your stock”). With coins, however, I have actually had to sell a few just to demonstrate my ability to part with them, as I do with my equities, on a regular basis.

So I am constantly torn between my desire to build a cool collection and the ability to demonstrate said collection’s investment potential. Ease of resale is definitely a factor…coins are hard. Stocks, easy.

So I’ve settled on lots of silver eagle bullion, gold eagle bullion, and some pre-1907 au55 type stuff that sells for a small premium to spot. Then I mix in some proof modern commems to scratch that itch and develop a complete set. (Aside from HOF, I now do have a complete silver $1 commem modern set).

MarkH

Oh, I don’t mind the pricks, I deserve them, but I think I would be crazy at this point to think out loud any further about the opposite sex. Maybe just one more, Women are the reason we are here, therefore they deserve the best we can give them, that’s why I like many of you guys can say that you would not think twice about giving your life in exchange for your wife’s, I know I wouldn’t.
    I honestly think that coins depicting Presidents wives should sell much better, but apparently it’s a much more specialized market for most to be involved in. I owned a Dolly Madison silver dollar set once, but ultimately decided to sell it. It struck me as a little odd that coin collectors don’t seem very interested in coins that are really beautiful such as this one. I guess it was then that I decided coin collectors really don’t want these types of coins. On the other hand, a complete set of FS gold coin is an amazing task, and I highly doubt an owner will ever be sorry about buying them.

8. Small time collector says

@GF – thank you, I rather enjoy this blog. reading about the guys playing the return game is really what got me posting here. Hey, I returned a k15 (for exchange due to a flaw) yet still don’t like the thought of returns based on the change of price of products or high sales. THats fodder for other discussions.
    I don’t know how long this blog has been going, but I think I first viewed the pages here in ‘o5-‘o6, yet it may have been some other similar site. I don’t believe I posted prior to last month. To be honest, I am generally impressed with the members here and the ability to have meaningful discussions from a wide source of viewpoints. I do, and expect others, to rebel if words are minced or twisted. I feel there are civil ways to share thoughts and even to disagree.
    I’m glad I found the site and plan to participate. SOmetimes I get busy with projects or work on our ranchette. Coins will always attract

9. Pool Shark says

Mark:
    That’s why I started stacking the 5-ounce Atb bullion. If I’m going to be buying bullion anyway; might as well build a collection at roughly the same cost as Silver Eagles. Some of the rarer issues (i.e., the 2012’s and even the recent Mount Rushmore ) are already commanding big numismatic premiums over melt. Someday, I suspect a complete set of all 56 bullion Atb’s will sell for far more than an equal number of ounces of ASE’s.

10. Small time collector says

@Pool Shark and others – re: the atb’s and series type coins large and small. As a small time collector I have not attempted to buy into a series, rather I’ve been buying what appeals and I can afford. I have a rather random assortment with everything since the late 80’s being 90% silver or bullion proofs.
    Do these series result in a quandary when selling? Does one find a buyer for a complete collection (potentially discounting the individual components), or is it pieced out with key components getting a higher premium.
    I think I would find it hard to piece out a complete series and difficult to find a buyer for the same. Smaller sets and series seem doable.

11. Bob R says

My suggestion for the 2016 walking, standing, and mercury ideals. I am not a big fan of producing a gold coin with a face denomination value of just chump change. Mint the gold but make the half be 50 dollars, quarter be 25 dollars, and the dime be 10 dollars. Also produce the coins in silver with their standard denomination. And last but not least, do not put a stupid dual date 1916-2016, just date them 2016. Just my thoughts.

12. Jon in CT says

Bob R wrote on SEPTEMBER 6, 2014 at 9:40 PM:

The US statutory exchange rate for gold is still $42 2/9 per fine troy ounce of gold, so …

STC – When the time comes it might be worth it to rent a table (preferable with a glass case top) at a medium sized coin show. Have an idea what you want to price everything at before the show. The good stuff would probably go quick. The average stuff, you could probably make a little over issue or at least break even, with inflation taken into account. This would probably be cheaper in the long run over eBay, with their fee’s, taking a piece of each sale.

14. Bernie in Florida says

Hey guy’s, I was hearing that the Mint may continue the FS coin series as First Spouses pass away. In special editions, as needed, by the passing of a Presidents Spouse. My conundrum is, if Hillary Clinton becomes President. Will they make a FS coin will “Bill” on it? 🙂

15. Buzz Killington says

@ VA Bob —

I haven’t been to a coin show in awhile, but my impression back then was you would have a hard time getting rid of a collection of moderns. No one is looking to buy a Statue of Liberty or Constitution set.

The best thing about ebay is, if you list the stuff for the going price, someone will buy it. Unfortunately, that’s probably worth the 13% fee for a lot of the pieces.

I think I’m going to have wait 30-40 more years, for the next big upswing in PM prices.

Buzz – Sure a Statue of Liberty might net you melt (which their are plenty of buyers for spot silver). Fortunately silver has increased since then and that may be the best one can do with those. I bought a proof and unc 1982 GW .50 cent commems on the secondary market in the late 80’s for $6 and some change. Thought I’d never recover the cost, but spot has passed that buy price by a couple of bucks. They will never IMO be worth more than their silver content (unless 100’s of thousands get melted), but it shows there may be hope for some dogs out there.

One nice gold (2008 Buff, etc.) could, for what the eBay fees for selling the coin, pay for a table at a medium sized show. Plus you can potentially sell much more than one coin. No returns or buyers trying to scam to worry about. Might not get the quantity of buyers with more money than brains, as one would on ebay, but it’s just an option for liquidating a number of coins at one sitting.

Yeah, we all hope the prices are up when we go to sell.

17. Small time collector says

@VA Bob – excellent advice on a table. just so you know, I don’t have any sets or substantial parts of a series. I was asking, as a general inquiry, because I’m trying to make my mind up on how to best increase coin collecting since completing our move to new home and intentional delayed (2.5 yr) sale of previous home. It appears the timing may be good with PM’s needing to additionally fall 10%-15% to historic trend position. fwiw, I think when gold hits that projected trend line we will see the fed start inching int. rates up.

18. Small time collector says

@Dave – a upswing in 3-4 yrs?
    I can see silver in that window gold likely not.
    EXCEPT, should another big terrorist happening, then all bets are off the board.

19. Hawkster says

The only coin sets that I have felt compelled to complete are the State Quarters and the ATB quarters (silver). In regard to commemoratives, I’ve bought some but passed on most–always silver, no gold. The majority of commemorative just don’t do that well on the secondary market.
    In regard to the AGE’s and gold buffaloes, I am content to have one proof and one uncirculated of each. I have never felt the necessity of getting a complete run of dates for either of the gold issues.

Clark, I hope this further answers the question you posed to me.

20. cagcrisp says

From another blog referring to the Gold Kennedy “They are an odd size and compared to the AGE and Buffalo coins, they are not legal tender. ”

Dang….What was I thinking?….Spending $1,240.00 for a coin that I could not use to pay off my $.50 debt….Dang….

That’s a Game Changer…..I bet that Guy that spent $100k didn’t know that….Wonder if they will give him his money back?….

Cag – I just want to know where that guy goes shopping so I can buy , from the cashier, the gold buffalos he’s spending to pay for his stuff.

All Mint collector coins are legal tender, but who would spend them as such. Even the proof/unc clad is worth more than face, though these sometimes get spent when kids break open their coin gifts or rob daddy’s collection.

BTW – If the Mint does make the 1916 Walker in gold, in 2016, 3/4 oz. won’t be an unusual size any more.

23. Jerry Diekmann says

Clark – if you like the FS gold coins and have the mweans to purchase them, and if you like the series and the art work, then by all means collect them. There is really no right or wrong in coin collecting, unless you pay way too much for a coin or buy a counterfeit coin. It’s totally up to you what you want to collect. I guess Hi Lo Silver, who used to post on this website, decided to switch to sea shells or some other collectible, according to what some other posters have said. For me, I can’t afford the FS series and the coins don’t represent people who were really that important in the history of this country, with the exception of Eleanor Roosevelt. Some of the FS were pretty women, some were plain, and some were on the ugly side. If I had the money for gold, I would probaby opt for the gold Eagles that have less premium, or if I wanted an example of a numismatic gold coin, I would go for the St.Gaudens eagles or double eagles because of their unsurpassed beauty and craftsmanship. They also represent the very last – forever – of any gold coins ever issued by the US Mint for circulation, and represent a time gone by which will never return. But the final decision rests with the collector, and that’s YOU.

24. Buzz Killington says

Instead of doing these gold one-offs, I would rather see the ASE design change to the Standing Liberty Quarter in 2016, and make that Palladium coin with the Mercury head as a one-off, not a regular bullion issue.

I don’t like how they fall into these ruts (commemorating seemingly odd anniversaries with giant ASE sets), and would rather see something more outside the box.

That is IF they have to do something new. The 100th anniversary of 1916, when a lot of coinage changes took place, is a good year to give us something different, and then give it a rest for awhile, and work on the regular 2 commems per year.

25. Clark says

Hawkster–Thanks for your response. I had asked you if the logic of your statement that, “The cost of a complete FS set precludes the majority of collectors from obtaining it, now and in the future, male or female. Period.” also applies to other gold moderns. You replied that it does not and that you collect one 1oz proof and unc version of Gold Eagles and Gold Buffaloes. If my memory is correct, the gold eagle series started in seventeen years ago 1986 and the gold buffalo series nine years ago in 2006.

If I understand you right, then you’ve collected 34 (17 yrs x 2 oz) Gold Eagles and 18 (9 yrs x 2 oz) Gold Buffaloes since each program began worth roughly $43K and $23K in spot value, respectively. Because the spot value of my complete gold First Spouse collection is worth about the same as your complete collection of gold eagles, I’m wondering why you think that gold spouses are less affordable than Gold Eagles and Gold Buffaloes to the majority of collectors?

26. MarkH says

Well AAN, right now, is auctioning a set of 2014 clad Kennedy’s. Bid is at a laughable $1000. Yes, for that 9.95 set. Oh, they”re first day issue and graded sp68 by ngc. But $1000? And the auctioneer is claiming they’re worth $250,000!!!

27. Clark says

Jerry D–We all collect what we collect for our own reasons. I’m glad you respect my collection choices and I certainly respect yours. It would be nice if that sentiment were more widely shared here.

I’ve been reading MNB and following comments for over seven years now and I’ve noticed in recent years a growing tendency of some folks to denigrate the collection choices of others, insinuating that their collections (and by implication, that they) are somehow superior. It’s a curious way for collectors to treat each other. As a faithful collector of all First Spouse coins, I guess I invite negative comments because the series is unpopular. In fact, I collect them precisely because they are unpopular and controversial and have said so numerous times. Still, it makes no sense to get upset at others who simply have different tastes and priorities.

28. gary says

@Buzz… I think that the Mint will continue to churn out “special” coins as in the anniversary sets. All they need to do is a mix of mint marks and proof, reverse proof, uncirculated, and now special enhanced finishes and put em in a box and they will sell, and sell quite well as long as collectors consider them must haves.

29. HarryB says

@Clark: You are not alone collecting the FS series, I to have been collecting the FS series since the beginning, I have them all in NGC 70, and the first 17 issues in OGP as well. I have enjoyed these threads commenting on the series here for the last 4 years, which criticize the series on artistic or popularity prospectives, I never consider the comments personally directed at my choices, rather I look at these comments as the commenters personal choices in collecting. I also collect Modern Gold Commemoratives, have them all in NGC 70 as well. I also have all the gold Buffalos in OGP and all the AGE burnished in OGP. Enjoy your FS collection, you are not alone! Harry

30. Olde Sailor Bill says

I agree with Harry B & Clark comments. I am a Spouse
    Collector too and real enjoy them,

31. Hawkster says

Clark,
    You misunderstood me in regard to the gold issues. I have exactly four modern gold pieces: AGE proof and unc., proof buffalo, and UHR Gold Eagle. As I mentioned in my comment, I do not feel the need to get a complete run of dates for the gold eagles and buffaloes. Rather, I am content to pursue a type set of the 1oz. AGE’s and buffaloes. So no, I do not have anywhere near the thousands of dollars tied up in these coins that you thought I had.

32. Clark says

HarryB & Olde Sailor Bill–Thanks for coming forward. As one of the most outspoken and controversial of all first spouses, Eleanor Roosevelt would be pleased that the MNB announcement of her coin became a forum for a thorough discussion of the controversial series.

BTW, I too collect AGEs, Buffaloes and gold commems and enjoy them all.

33. Pittsburgh P says

The spouse series is dumb & so is anyone who collects them !!! 😉

JK Clark… I figured you would have known that but thought It better be stated just in case for everyone else.
    I’m with Jerry – more power to ya if you can collect the whole series! I never got into them but do think they will be a sought after set in the future for those who can afford them. How far in the future who knows…

I think most collectors respect others & what they choose to collect. There are so many options out there – Ancient, US, World, Modern… – it is impossible to collect everything & everyone’s collection and wants are different. If someone wants to belittle what you choose to collect and act “superior” in some way they’re not worth my, or your time imo…

34. Hawkster says

Clark,

Because you are into the FS series for the complete run, I think that you are taking criticism of these coins too personally. I don’t believe that any posters have directed negative comments toward the collectors who made the choice to see the series through. Again, we all collect what appeals to each of us.

John Stoner, 42, dug up a 1652 silver threepenny coin on Aug. 31…

I guess I need to collect older coins these days…

In 2012, a silver Colonial Massachusetts coin from 1652 that was found in a potato field was auctioned for $430,000. Stoner’s coin could bring in $1.7 million, according to the Mail.

36. Clark says

PittsP–LOL and thanks.

Hawkster–Perhaps you’re right…it’s been a long, long thread : )

With over 240 comments here and the way Michael indexes topics, his “First Spouse Gold Coins” category recorded a lively, spirited discussion from all sides for future review. And with that, I too am ready for a new topic.

I’ll pick on some of the first spouse coins, but never the collectors. It will be impressive when complete. Besides I believe I have a Eunice Shriver around her some where, and that’s one ugly coin.

38. jeff says

Tomorrows the release of the 2014 Annual Uncirculated Dollar Set any idears . I really like the set but would like to see different packaging or a reverse mint state silver eagle instead of the uncirculated silver eagle ..

Jeff I’d like to see a reverse mint state ASE too, that would surely be something, since all MS’s are a matte like finish. 😉

I can’t get excited about the dollar set, since I all ready have them all, MS and PF, but I understand some label chasers believe they are special and buy/sell for a premium on the secondary market. I say to them, go for it and good luck.

40. Naga says

OT question from a newbie for those who buy Royal mint coins. Excuse my ignorance, but why is there such a difference between what the Royal Mint charges for a 1 oz. 2014 Silver BU Britiannia and what APMEX or similar charge? Are the coins that the bullion dealers sell different (Business Strikes vs. BU?)

41. eddie says

Anyone know when the Mint is going to let us see the packaging for the 4 coin silver Kennedy half sets?
    Why is it being kept so secretive?
    You know know it has to be in a wooden box like the gold coin and not the cardboard holder they had at the show.

Eddie…it will not be a wwod box, but a “embossed leatherette type folder.

From the Mint’s website:
    50th Anniversary Kennedy Half-Dollar Silver Coin Collection (product code K13) – $99.95
    The set is composed of four coins-one from each of the United States Mint’s production facilities-struck in 90 percent silver in four finishes:

One reverse proof coin from the United States Mint at West Point
    One proof coin from the United States Mint at Philadelphia
    One enhanced uncirculated coin from the United States Mint at San Francisco, and
    One uncirculated coin from the United States Mint at Denver.
    Each coin features the 1964 Kennedy half-dollar coin design, but is inscribed with the year 2014. The encapsulated coins are secured in coin wells within an embossed leatherette-type folder that includes the same image of John F. Kennedy that appears on the coins in this set, with patriotic imagery of stars and stripes. The removable capsules allow visibility of both sides of the coins, which are housed on packaging that can be displayed as a trifold or stored and protected by an outer sleeve. The United States Mint logo is on the front of the folder, and the Department of the Treasury seal is on the back. A booklet with information and images about the design of the 1964 Kennedy half-dollar coin and a certificate of authenticity accompany each set.

43. stephen m says

For the collectors that are all in for the FS proof and ms coins I’m rooting for lower gold prices, and I admire those few collectors.

44. J JONAH JAMESON says

XA5 2013 ANNUAL $1 UNC SET update:

Order Date:08/05/2014 at 10:37 AM

Order Status: Your order request is in process.
    2013 ANNUAL $1 UNC SET In stock and reserved
    cancel box gone

An 8/20/2014 is still backordered. Expected to ship on 09/23/2014.

45. eddie says

@Steve
    Well that just sucks! The Mint should have done something similar to the 5 coin ASE set . It would have looked a heck of a lot better. I guess the Mint is trying to make as much money as they can from these Kennedy sets.

46. VA Rich says

K15 –
    8/10/2014 – 62,341
    8/17/2014 – 63,521 +1,180
    8/25/2014 – 63,388 (133)
    8/31/2014 – 64,305 +917
    9/7/2014 – 63,927 (378)
    1,586 sold over past 4 weeks;
    396 weekly average;
    396 x 15 weeks + 63,927 = 69.8k

47. eddie says

I have never really understood the logical behind the United States Mint Annual Uncirculated Dollar Coin Set. Why do they just put the P Presidential coins and no D’s and a D Native Amer. coin and no P?
    Can someone explain the idea behind this set?

48. Pittsburgh P says

Naga I am pretty sure they are the same coin… If you buy rolls from the Royal Mint they are much cheaper. I guess they charge about double if you just want one or two coins of the BU version. The reason I say this is that in the past the mint didn’t sell the bullion version in singles only rolls. If you only wanted a few its cheaper to buy off a dealer. The proofs are much cheaper from the mint though. For instance APMEX is charging 699$ wire or check for the 5 oz proof but the RM is around 550$ shipped. I’m sure you know but the bullion & proof versions are different designs unlike the ASE where the only difference is finish and a mint mark.

If someone knows somthing different please correct me…

49. J JONAH JAMESON says

@ eddie

Annual Unc Dollar Set is mostly gifting, but after the single burnished W silver eagle goes off sale, it is another way to pick one up.

Mint’s spreadsheet now shows 43.850 XA5 + 178,941 single burnished W silver eagle = 222,761 burnished W silver eagle so far.

Compare that to the previos low in 2012 of 28,368 XA5 + 202,504 single burnished W silver eagle or 226,120.

50. cagcrisp says

Mint BHOF excel spreadsheet update for 09/07/14 (change from 08/31/14 spreadsheet):

Gold proof BHOF 32,840 (down 5)
    Gold unc. 18,443 (down 3)
    Silver proof 268,060 (down 7)
    Silver unc. 132,061 (down 13)
    Clad proof 211,474 (up 1,787)
    Clad unc. 131,844 (up 513)
    Young Collector 20,554 (up 1,368)

Gold BHOF oversold 1,283
    Silver BHOF oversold 121

51. cagcrisp says

Mint Kennedy excel spreadsheet update for 09/07/14 (change from 08/31/14 spreadsheet):

2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY UNC CLAD SET (K14) 127,749 (up 2,862)

52. VA Rich says

Pitt – yeah, and it the mint was true to their word of 6,000/weeks for four weeks we should see that back-order status drop this week, and step out day for day on the 10th. Back to earlier point last Wednesday, if sales at week this time next week, yeah I agree, pull the plug!

53. eddie says

Why do these other mints charge so much for their 5ozers? Ours are $139.00 – $159.00 depending on subscription or not and theirs are $500.00 – $600.00 if not more. I had much rather buy 4 or 5 of the AtBs than get just one of theirs.
    I guess that makes since if you are stacking silver. But still.

54. cagcrisp says

The BHOF clads have been available for 24 weeks. The Kennedy Anniversary clads have been available for 7 weeks and Once Again from a Dollar Sales amount the BHOF coins have Outsold the Kennedy Anniversary clads.

Total $$ Sales for All BHOF clads was $88,703.60
    Total $$ Sales for Anniversary Kennedy clads was $ 28,476.90

55. cagcrisp says

@VA Rich, I agree Completely that they should pull the plug. I don’t think they will. The Mint has painted themselves in a corner. I don’t see they can cease Sales until After they Offer the Silvers. I would hate for someone to lose out on $4.95 by not being allowed to purchase All three products at one time…

Guys I wish they’d stop selling the JFK gold too, but we aren’t even in the gold buying season yet. The are going to sell quite a few more.

57. eddie says

Total $$ Sales for Anniversary Kennedy clads was $ 28,476.90.

You have to remember that the Kennedy anniversary clads have a 5 limit on them and the BHoF clads never did.

58. Pittsburgh P says

VaRich we both know they won’t pull the plug especially IF they have been makin 6000 a week and haven’t stop. If the backorder is gone next week and say they produce one more week of 6000 it’ll take em the rest of the year to sell em 😉 This train might not stop til Dec 2015!

Yeah cag oh man another $4.95!!! It’s not like the gold and silver versions came out a week apart! Throw a dime in a jar everyday until Oct 28th & you got shipping paid for 🙂

Eddie they did have a household limit for the clad BHoFs & still do. It is 100 and alot higher but “supposedly” that keeps the same buyer from getting more than 100 period making it harder to sell still. I know its not 5 but it is a restriction and they have been available for almost a half year while the JFK clads for

59. Pittsburgh P says

6 weeks. For them to be out performing them is saying something imo… Can’t tell you what though ; -)

60. Naga says

Pittsburgh P, thanks for the info. I guess I’ll look into buying from non-mint dealers for my non-proof coins.

61. Clark says

I finally received my proof and unc Eleanor Roosevelt coins and was pleasantly surprised with the quality of both sides. Her portrait is a reasonably good likeness of her, and the reverse’s tribute to her “global humanitarian accomplishments” looks better than the pre-production images we saw. The reverse looks particularly stunning in the proof finish.

Most First Spouse coins have been disappointing, yet if there is to be a stand out among them, it is fitting for it to be that of Eleanor Roosevelt. As Ken Burns’ recent seven part PBS series on the Roosevelts reminded us, Eleanor proved to be a more capable and visionary world leader than most presidents. As the series winds down, I’m more than pleased to add these coins to my collection. Well done, U.S. Mint.