2014 First Spouse Gold Coins

The United States Mint has recently unveiled the design selections for the 2014 First Spouse Gold Coins. These coins will honor Florence Harding, Grace Coolidge, Lou Hoover, and Eleanor Roosevelt, the spouses of the 29th to 32nd Presidents of the United States.

The First Spouse Gold Coin Program was launched in 2007 with heavy demand for the initial three releases which saw sell outs of the 40,000 maximum mintage. Interest in the program waned in subsequent years, pushing mintage levels to historic lows. This culminated with the final audited mintage of just 2,168 pieces for the uncirculated 2011 Lucretia Garfield coin. In recent years the series has also been marked by delays due to production problems and other factors, which has compressed the release of all annual issues into an increasingly narrow time frame. The five proof and uncirculated 2013-dated issues were released in rapid succession between November 14 and December 16, 2013.

At this time, the US Mint has not provided release dates for the 2014 First Spouse Gold Coins. However, the schedule may see some better spacing. The design selections have been revealed about three months earlier compared to the prior year.

The initial candidates for each of the coins  were reviewed by the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee (CCAC) and by the Commission of Fine Arts (CFA) in November 2013.

Florence Harding First Spouse Gold Coin

The 2014 Florence Harding First Spouse Gold Coin features a profile portrait on the obverse designed by Thomas Cleveland and engraved by Joseph Menna. The reverse, which was designed by Cleveland and engraved by Don Everhart, features an amalgam of symbols representing the contributions of the First Lady. The initials WWV stand for World War Veterans and form a torch which transforms into a pen at the base to represents Mrs. Harding’s extensive correspondence with veterans, their spouses, and widows. A camera represents her orchestration of photo opportunities supporting her husband’s campaign. A ballot box represents her distinction as the first First Lady to have cast a vote for a presidential candidate, her husband.

In the review phase, the CFA and CCAC had each offered a different set of recommendations for the obverse and reverse. The final obverse selection matches the recommendation of the CFA, while the final reverse selection matches the recommendation of the CCAC.

Grace Coolidge First Spouse Gold Coin

The Grace Coolidge First Spouse Gold Coin contains a portrait designed by Joel Iskowitz and engraved by Phebe Hemphill. The reverse, which was designed by Frank Morris and engraved by Jim Licaretz, carries a depiction of three hands using sign language to spell USA against the backdrop of the White House. Mrs. Coolidge had advocated for the deaf and hearing impaired.

The final obverse design matched the recommendation of the CCAC. The CFA had recommended an alternative profile portrait. The reverse design was recommended by both the CFA and CCAC, although following the recommendation of the CCAC, the letters “USA” were moved from the wrists of the hands to a different location within the design.

Lou Hoover First Spouse Gold Coin

The 2014 Lou Hoover First Spouse Gold Coin features a near profile portrait  designed by Susan Gamble and engraved by Michael Guadioso. The reverse features a late 1920’s style radio set with the words “First Public Address April 19, 1929”. Mrs. Hoover was the first First Lady to give a public radio address. The reverse was designed by Richard Masters and engraved by Jim Licaretz.

The final obverse design matches the recommendation of the CCAC. The reverse design had been recommended by both the CFA and CCAC.

Eleanor Roosevelt First Spouse Gold Coin

The Eleanor Roosevelt First Spouse Gold Coin features an obverse portrait designed by Chris Costello and engraved by Phebe Hemphill. The revere features an image of Mrs. Roosevelt’s right hand lighting a candle against the background of the Earth’s curved horizon, symbolizing the First Lady’s life’s work and the global impact of her humanitarian initiatives. Adlai Stevenson remarked after her death: “She would rather light a candle than curse the darkness, and her glow has warmed the world.”

Both the CFA and CCAC had recommended the selected obverse design. The CCAC had recommended the chosen reverse design, while the CFA had recommended an alternative design showing Mrs. Roosevelt as a delegate to the United Nations.

Comments

1. Ikaika says

I am for sure not buying the Barney Fife FS gold coin. The design gets and F-

2. TMMSR0127 says

I am one of a increasingly low, but surprisingly loyal group of collectors who continues to purchase the FS coins. This year releases were especially difficult as all the FS coins were released in such a small window. I hope that the mint does decided to release the coins over a slightly larger period of time, my wallet will appreciate the relief!

3. VABEACHBUM says

Joel Iskowitz continues to be my Mint Artist of Choice!! While all the protraits seem to get better as the artists have access to increased quantities of photos and related documentation for the 20th Century Spouses, Joel just seems to convey a higher level of interpretation within his artwork.

Based on the selected reverse designs, I think 3 of the 4 offerings could look quite exquisite in the PR strikes. While the Coolidge Reverse portrays a great message, I think that artwork is very busy for the size of the field used to display it.

Finally, a topic I enjoy commenting on! I’m one of the loyal few buyers of the First Spouse series that TMMSR0127 referred to above. I’ve come this far, and I really want to see it through to the end.

The late, rapid-fire release schedule of the past couple years (and likely this year too) really doesn’t bother me anymore. Since each year’s coins are always spaced far enough apart to allow saving up for them, it really doesn’t matter that’s how they’re being released now as far as having the money ready goes. The only way that would hurt is if the next year’s coins were bunched up EARLY in the year, before you’ve had time to save up from buying the prior year coins. No, the main drawback to the way it’s done now is if the price of gold is cheaper earlier in the year, and has gone up by the end when the coins are released, thus robbing us of the opportunity to buy them for less. At the same time though, the price of gold could go down by the time the coins are released, and we would end up saving some money. We’ll see how it works out in 2014.

Anyway, I’m still watching the 2013’s closely, waiting for that first “backorder” notice to appear. Depending on which coin it is, it could result in what I call the “Lucretia Garfield Effect”, and the remaining coins would fall like dominoes. At the moment, it looks like the Mint may have overestimated how many coins to produce again like in 2012, if they did indeed produce 3,000 proofs and 2,000 uncs of each design like I originally predicted. It’s looking like those numbers will be tough to reach at this point. However, if the Mint anticipated less demand for the later coins and reduced the mintages for that, things could get very interesting real quick. Say the Helen Taft Unc coin goes to “backorder” with sales around 1,600 units. If that happened, both the Ellen and Edith Wilson Uncs would be gone in a heartbeat, with reported sales drastically overstating the remaining inventory just like Lucretia Garfield, resulting in a similar large amount of cancellations due to lack of product. That would be a best-case scenario to drive up the value of the 2013’s. However, even if there are no actual sellouts and they all go the full “approximately one year” sales period, there is absolutely no WAY that ANY of the ten 2013 coins will not come in under the lowest reported proof and unc mintages thus far. On that I would wager for certain. I just can’t see the Mint having made more than 3,000 proofs and 2,000 uncs. No WAY. They had to melt down way too many 2012’s to be that brave (or stupid) again. No, 2013 will definitely produce a new mintage low for both the Proof and Unc finishes, no more than 2,9XX and 1,9XX. I’m looking forward to finding out who the winner is.

By the way, sorry to be so long-winded. However, I haven’t commented in so long I figure you guys can handle it! 🙂

5. gary says

Some very appealing portraitures in this group, and the reverse designs also convey well. Good job by the Mint!

Eleanor looks like they loaded a Nixon and a Reagan image and played on the computer for 8 hours…lol

Radio waves have always been little “zzzzz”‘s, not sun rays…I think these folks are about done spending time on these coins and are showing it more and more. Let’s some pride here Mint designers…

lol@Ralph, whatever it is, it doesn’t look becoming of a first LADY, I will leave it at that…New lows for those staying the course…Maybe they can get them all out in a week this time…

9. Ralph says

Off subject: one of my HOF orders has been stuck at 4/16 for what seems like FOREVER!. Any one else have the same status?

10. Jon in CT says

Off Topic. PFSweb, the company which won the contract last year to provide and operate a replacement for the Mint’s current order fulfillment systems, held a conference call last week with analysts shortly after announcing its Q2 earnings. According to a transcript of that call at http://yahoo.brand.edgar-online.com/displayfilinginfo.aspx?FilingID=9981767-4726-48327&type=sect&dcn=0001193125-14-194790:

We are also excited to be working on the project to replatform the current United States Mint program through our End2End solution. With the discovery and design portion of the deployment phase essentially complete, we have begun the build base and expect to launch this program late in the third quarter of 2014. This 10-year contract consists of a 1 year development project plus a 5-year initial support period, followed by a series of 1-year extensions. As indicated previously, we expect the U.S. Mint to initially contribute service fee revenue of approximately $17 million to $20 million annually.

@Ralph – the US Mint’s “Shop” page states the following:

About Changing Shipping Dates: We are experiencing technical difficulties with the part of our system that displays the expected ship date for your order, causing the dates to move incorrectly. Please be assured that orders are being fulfilled according to our standard policy. This issue will have no impact on the actual shipping dates. Thank you for your patience as we work toward a solution

The US Mint will sell its uncirculated “mint sets” tomorrow. I plan to buy one set as part of my annual collection of mint sets.

Anyone else planning to buy a set?

Jon in CT, As I’m sure you’re aware, the Dow made a cross into record territory today, it’s a good time for tech. I expect the markets to be able to price in and keep up the numbers as central bank chairman Yellen has stated that their intentions are to continue focus on macro even as tapper continues. So I feel there’s a good possibility that the markets can remain in earning territory. The question that I have been wondering is, are we in a bubble? Chairman Yellen says no, but I suspect we are! It will be nice to see what PFSweb can do the Mint website operations.

14. VABEACHBUM says

@ Hidalgo – I’ve been holding out for the release of the UNC Set with plans of combining one each of the three Mint sets into one order. The single order of all three with a single shipping charge has a nearly equivalent cost to the three different subscriptions w/ discounts and respective shipping.

15. Bob R says

I ordered 80 HOF $1 proof and unc, I plan on going on vacation sometime this summer, what happens if I am gone when they are sent out from the mint? Will the mint hold them till I get back if I request?

16. Dan A says

Who is going to buy these coins? I don’t imagine there is any market for these coins. The mint should be taking the time they put into these and spending it on producing the BHOF coins that some people are backordered out to September with!

@Ralph, yep me too. One stuck there, one stuck @ 6/1 and the silver HOF Uncirc to 7/6! Geez

Off topic: Any Morgan collectors in the house? I just got one and along the edge of about a quarter of the coin maybe 4mm from the edge it looks like a paint line squiggly. I am no Morgan Dollar expert but any info on what this is called would be greatly appreciated. Disruption in metal flow during striking? It is on both sides in the same spot. Would love to know what it is called.

@Bob R: That sounds like a question for the US Mint Customer Service Center….Would you like me to post the phone number?

19. Bob R says

I will look it up on their web site. I was wondering if others were thinking the same thing too. Thanks

20. Mk says

No offense, but IMHO these are really unappealing…
    @Louis- OT but did you ever get your bbhof insert cards from NGC?

21. VA Rich says

Mk – Ok, this time it shipped! The 02 May order to NGC has been turned around and is en route –

$5 PRF – 2 of 2 graded 70

$5 UNC – 3 of 3 graded 70

$1 PRF – 3 of 4 graded 70

Nothing yet heard of the PCGS order from 4 weeks ago. As VA Bob may have eluded too, with the right tools and a little patience, prescreening or self-grading your own coins is rather fun and not that difficult to do.

@Mk- Thanks for asking. I called and they said they’d get them right out to me. The check is in the mail!

23. Mk says

@VaR- Wow, those are really terrific results congrats. Refresh my memory, the one that graded 69 were you expecting that grade? Any obvious reason as to why it graded lower?

24. Jon in CT says

VA Rich, nobody other than your mom cares. Please try, for once, to stay on topic!

PCGS maintains an interesting “Top 100 Modern Coins” list at http://www.pcgs.com/top100/details.aspx.

At the moment there are five First Spouse coins on their list, none of which have anything special about them outside of their low mintage.

@Dusty- I think the equity market nay be a bit toppy, but I do not think we are in a bubble per se. For one thing tens of millions Americans never went back into the market after the crisis. A lot of money is sitting on the sidelines. Bottom line is if you are a long-term investor don’t worry too much. If things get bad, you can adjust your investments a little. Or just take all your profits out and blow them on coins (insert smile face here)

26. Mk says

I care and I’m interested in results. It’s been a fun ride for me as a novice modern collector and sorry that I was off topic with my questions.

27. Jeff says

Man my $1 BHOF silvers in OGP are flying in the $120 $130 area including $5 shipping I’ll buy back around $70

28. VA Rich says

Mk – I’m curious to know myself and will check them upon receipt.

Jon in CT – back in Nov/Dec ’13 – did you say you made $50,000 on PFSweb?

Or you bought 50k shares of stock when it was back in the $6.50+ range…, if it’s the later, would you please stay on topic and stop touting a stock that you have a vested interest in. And yes, my mom does care, as a $5 PRF & UNC are for her grandsons.

Louis.., a follow up from the great article back on 05 May, any word from the mint as to the shipping delays? Any insight? Thx

29. M says

When will the US Mint let an art director make a decision about designs instead of a political committee?

30. Pittsburgh P says

Jon in CT who are we annoying other than you???? Haven’t heard any complaints… What adults obviously NOT you. I already said once I wouldn’t respond to your ignorant, retarded foul, childish remarks but couldn’t stop myself this time. If you don’t like it stop reading!!!! There would be 6 posts if we weren’t discussing BHoF coins! So shut the hell up period. You always come out from behind the shadows to ridicule or tear down someone and I am sure you’ll try to do it to me, again… I just don’t care. We’ve been down this road before. Earlier in this blog YOU went OT and I find it’s to pump up some company that you own stock in, imagine that. PATHETIC… here is a new topic. Find Jon in CT a woman or a man or a hobby, whatever you are into so you aren’t so grumpy… maybe some anti depression pills. Strike that last one it may bring better results if you don’t take em.

VA Rich and ALL THE MORONIC BASEBALL HALL OF FAME COIN FANS lets talk some circus coins and grading then throw in some EBAY!!!

31. Pittsburgh P says

There he goes again… smarter and better than the lot of us. I bow to you Jon in CT

32. Pittsburgh P says

I apoligize to everyone else about that rant… I just can’t stand some people and I know I should just not say anything at all… I will stop. Sorry

While PP may have gone off the rails in making his pt., I do think he is right overall. I mean people are more interested in the baseball coins than the FS coins. They tend to follow whichever is the most current thread overall. If the last BHOF thread is several topics back, people tend to ignore it and take that up on the newer thread. Maybe I am wrong, and I certainly agree with Jon on the law as far as why the Mint can’t change the way coins are designed, as that is up to the Congress. But I am tempted to quote a famous saying esp. as the one who said it passed away recently: “Can’t we all just get along?” Besides, it was darn hot in the Northeast today and we need to blow off some steam!

34. rsf says

Is anyone else trying to put together the Liberty sub-set of First Spouse coins? These are getting very hard to find. Almost non-existant at shows, and even scarce on the bay in OGP. Probably because 3 of them are on the Top 100 modern coin list that Jon refered to.
    Jon – you undercounted by 3. There are 8 FS coins on the Top 100 list.

35. rsf says

FMT – until you said the squiggly line was in the same place on both sides, I was pretty sure it sounded like a fairly common die crack. A die crack impresion has been known to be transfered to the other die via a die clash event, but that is pretty rare. Have your coin checked out by a dealer.

36. Jon in CT says

rsf wrote on May 12, 2014 at 9:42 PM:

Jon – you undercounted by 3. There are 8 FS coins on the Top 100 list.

You’re right — I completely missed the three Liberty “First Spouse” coins on that PCGS Top 100 Modern Coins list. Perhaps that’s why you’re having such difficulty completing your Liberty “First Spouse” subset. My suggestion is that it would be better to pay up now for you missing coins rather than waiting and hoping. Those First Spouse coins exhibit the three primary characteristics of modern investable coins:
    1) Rarity
    2) Rarity
    3) Rarity

37. Mk says

@Pitt, Louis, VaR, VaB, Gf-and all the other peps who have provided me free valuable advice over the last couple of months, thank you. I really enjoyed the site, until VaR was rudely berated and the rest of us scolded like children over our enthusiasm for the bbhof coins. Regardless, I’m immensely grateful for your time and insight. I’ll be sure to post my NGC results five threads back where you’ll never see them. Lol

38. Jon in CT says

According to the information at http://news.coinupdate.com/cfa-recommendations-first-spouse-gold-coin-designs-3085/, both the CCAC and CFA provided their recommendations to the Mint/Secretary during the last week of November last year. And now, six months later, we finally have finalized designs for the coins which are supposed to be issued within the next seven months. 🙄

I see the CCAC has an upcoming meeting scheduled for May 19, according to https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2014/05/02/2014-10099/notification-of-citizens-coinage-advisory-committee-may-19-2014-public-meeting. Could the 2015 First Spouse designs be on the agenda so that decisions can be taken before the first of the year? Of course not. Instead, they’ll be considering the 2016 AtB designs. 😥

39. Dave says

I will be very interested to see if Grace Coolidge’s eyes look that nice on a coin.

You suppose they had a steel worker model the hands on the reverse? Would have been nice to use her delicate fingers.

Reverse of Harding and Roosevelt ought to be awesome.

Jon in CT
    I understand your purist view, but the threaded approach was tried and rejected by the users. At least we have a blog master who is responsive to his bloggers! You could always try the Coin Community Forum. They still run a threaded approach.

40. Jon in CT says

Dave wrote on May 12, 2014 at 10:48 PM:

Jon in CT

You don’t get it, either. My concerns aren’t about “a threaded approach” — if they were, I’d go to a forum, instead of a blog. With a blog (like this one), the blog owner makes an observation about some topic that interests him and then the blog’s readers are allowed to respond to that topic. But some internet thugs here are proposing that, regardless of the topic raised by the blog’s owner, they can discuss whatever nonsense they happen to enjoy. In other words, they show absolutely no respect to the blog’s owner.

41. Dave says

If the blog’s ” owner” doesn’t want the riff raff, he is entitled to stifle their comments. He chooses not to. So I guess we’ll all have to just deal with it. Complaining about it serves no purpose. The majority approves of the freestyle nature of the blog. It provides a broad spectrum of educational experiences. The newbies learn, the experts get to share their expertise, and everybody prospers.
    Life is good! Enjoy it, everyone.
    And thanks to all for sharing – I have learned a great deal from Michael’s articles, and even more from the astute commenters on this site. I thank you all.

Jon in CT, Would you please calm down! Look at it this way, the blog is the MAIN area of the site, and the thread is SECONDARY to it. The thread is a perk for the readers, it IS for the flowing of ideas. Although, some are not DIRECTLY on topic, they ALL are relevant

43. Bob R says

In the year 2074 a full FS set will sure be something special, they will be very rare. What is popular today changes very fast. If I had the money I would buy every FS coin released, proof and unc for my children. I have collected coins since 1961, looking back what was collectable then in peoples minds sure is different now.

44. Zaz says

Painful least-liked series, only six more coins after this year’s haul. My money is still on the 40-coin set in proof. There’s just nothing like 24kt gold coins in hand. Part of the issue of invisibility is some of the issues are overpriced relative to availability, particularly the Julia and Letitia Tyler coins, whereas the 2011 spouses truly are scarce. As for the Liberty subset, ironically they are seen more frequently than some of the later spouses, the Buchanan coin is underrated compared to the overhyped Van Buren and Jackson coins, IMHO. Good sleeper series now somewhat back down to earth, should receive some additional love & attention when the Jackie coin debuts.

45. Clark says

VA Rich–Congrats on your NGC results! Pay no attention to Jon in CT… must be drink and post night out east.

46. Jon in CT says

Dave wrote on May 12, 2014 at 11:22 PM

I didn’t realize you were a psychic who knows exactly what the blog’s owner and the majority want.

It’s not inconceivable that the blog’s owner and the majority of its readers are too timid or polite to complain about the double-digit-IQ internet thugs who are trying to usurp control of the discussion here. When things go wrong and nobody complains or does anything, then entropy begins to win out.

47. Jerry Diekmann says

IMO, in many ways each of these ladies was a better person than the man she married. But I only buy one set of the bronze medals each year. I have no problem in honoring the first ladies, although making them out of gold was certain to limit their impact for collectors.

rsf says
    MAY 12, 2014 AT 9:54 PM

Thanks but it is already graded a MS64??

If it is a die crack, which looks more like metal flow than a crack, I may re submit for that VAM…

Jerry Diekmann says
    MAY 13, 2014 AT 1:17 AM

I can’t find my album of bronzes anywhere? I moved but looked EVERYWHERE. Hurts, hope somebody didn’t steal it thinking they were gold. Doh!

51. VA Rich says

Dear United States Mint Customer,

The United States Mint will be processing your subscription order for the 2014 America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coin™ in approximately 4 weeks.

So not this May, the following May! haha

52. CasualCollector says

@VA Rich
    Congrats on those numbers from NGC. Just out of curiosity, can you provide the total number of coins you pre-scanned for each coin before sending those in for grading? (my apologies if you already did that in an earlier post).

TIA,
    CC

53. Pittsburgh P says

Jon in CT says
    MAY 13, 2014 AT 12:20 AM

Dave wrote on May 12, 2014 at 11:22 PM

Again, I apologize for my rant last night, cooler heads prevail.

Jon in CT so you are the phychic then? It’s also not inconceivable that Michael set this up for people to talk about whatever interests them in the feild of numismatics and the majority would rather interesting discussion about whatever they want. That does not make their IQ double digits as you put it. So if I or many other’s are thugs to you so be it but imo it’s the other way around.

VaRich…congrats on your NGC grades!!

I also received the emeail from the Mint this morning saying that my ATB subscriptions would be processed in approx. 4 weeks….what’s up with that I wonder?

@Steve… that would be the Arches coin – they have been pretty consistant so far with notifying a month in advance of the pending shipments.

56. RSF says

FMT – the line does not appear to extend to the rim, thus it is not likely to be a die crack. Could just be a planchet flaw. The TPG must not have considered it something that occured post-production.

In their last year of production, the New Orleans mint was clearly using up every last blank, with even less regard for quality than prior years, (if that’s possible) and the dies were used/abused well past normal exhaustion.

thePhelps…the reason it struck me as odd is that I never received a notice on the Shenandoah National Park (VA) ATB and thought this email was for that. But I’m sure your are right though.

58. posterhunter says

Everyone should be happy with all of the talk about the BHOF coins because it has brought in a lot of new collectors into this market. Maybe a few someday will even buy spouse gold coins.

OT…again….I just got my first graded BBHOF in today, an MS70 FR clad. If I were grading it, I wouldn’t expect it to be a 70, but it does have very little wrong with it. The reason I’m bringing this up is because I would like to know from others who have these coins if the D mint mark typically looks as though it’s sitting on another mint mark, with a slight movement away from the center of the coin.

60. Steven says

Here are my NGC results. Far from as good as reported here. oh well.
    total 8 coins, 50-50 split between 70 and 69
    For the proof and UNC, each 50-50 split.
    For the silver, 25-75 split. Only one is graded 70, a MS70.
    For the clad, 50-50 split. One PF70.

As suggested here, if I ever need to sell, I just have to remove 69s from the slab and put them back to the OPG.

61. Hawkster says

I have both read and commented on the mintnewsblog for the past two years or so. Yes, the blog master does allow a freestyle approach, and allows off topic numismatically related comments. There are topics that generate much interest, such as the baseball HOF coins. These topics often generate hundreds of comments, with the great majority being on topic. Often, there are update blogs to hot topics, as was the case with the HOF coins.
    On the other hand, there are MInt topics which generate very little interest, as is the case with the current topic of the FS coins. Off-topic comments quickly take over.
    Do the off-topic comments bother me? No, as long as they are of a numismatic subject that is of a general interest to all. Alright, there is one subject that I can do without: the constant stream of comments in regard to grading coins and commenters boasting on how well their submissions did.

fmt, The line looks more prominent on the upper reverse, is that the one you are asking about, or are you referring to the smaller one on the bottom as well. I’ve seen the small lines on many Morgans, they do seem to be common with them. I’m not sure about larger lines, the Mint was probably pushing the dies to the limit.

63. Pittsburgh P says

@Hawkster thx for your input and I agree with you. I don’t beleive most people who share grading results are boasting… Most since some may be but others are just sharing info they feel is relavant(but off topic) and some are asked to post it.

64. Pittsburgh P says

@Hawkster thx for your input and I agree with you. I don’t beleive most people who share grading results are boasting… Most since some may be but others are just sharing info they feel is relevant(but off topic) and some are asked to post it.

I do have one thing to say about the First Spouse series. I feel that most male buyers of the coins simply do not want the first ladies on coins. Take the Tiffany, Dolly Madison set for example, great looking coins, but it was obvious that they were not big sellers. That may be the reason the Mint decided to create them in 24 kt gold. They may not be big sellers, but the gold factor would create enough sales to at least make it somewhat profitable for the Mint to produce.

66. Mk says

@Louis- Great article, thanks for clarification on signature signed labels..
    @Steven-thanks for posting your results. Did you prescreen before sending? Any 69s that you feel should have grader higher?

67. Steven says

@MK-I haven’t received the coins back from NGC. It took them 6 working days to post results online. I sent in all my coins to get early strike designation. I did paid extra $3 and got back all my OPG.

Thanks, cagcrisp and Mk.

As far as Hidalgo’s post- I agree on the off-topic issue but to me the grading results are actually very useful and have nothing to do with boasting. Not everyone has done great and presumably people are being honest as otherwise everyone would say they got perfect grades, which is not the case.

Also, to me only non-numismatic topics are a problem esp. political comments. The only times I recall the moderator having an issue with posts is when some people used inappropriate language, which is a violation of blog rules everywhere. And it was usually when they were talking politics.

69. Blair J Tobler says

Bob R – I don’t know if you got an answer to your question yet, but I recently went on vacation and had the same situation. If you call the mint CSRs, they can put a “vacation hold” on your order, and it will stay on hold for two weeks. It worked out well for me – my silver HOF’s shipped shortly after I got home. Hope this helps.

70. Mk says

@VaR- I just got my NGC results. Before I post I just want to explain that I was truly on the fence as to if TPGs were worth the extra expense of grading. So I conducted my own little novice grading experiment. Please don’t take this as boasting, as that’s not my style. I haven’t received any gold as of yet, so I sent in four silvers that I had scrutinized from the six I received. All four graded 70’s, two of each type, three came from the Denver mint and one from the regular mint. Good news is that my eyesight appears to be holding up well. Lol

71. Mk says

Oh and many, many thanks PittsP for the Denver tip! I still owe you a beer, make that two beers now. 🙂

72. mark says

Just got my results back from NGC on my 18 proof silvers. Mailed express overnight last Monday 05/05/2014.
    8—pf70s
    10 — pf69s
    Could not give these away on ebay a couple weeks ago in OGPs for buy it now $100 free shipping. Now look how much OGPs are going for. Still happy with the results anyway.

73. Pittsburgh P says

No prob mk, glad I could help and it worked out. Sayin thanks is enough but if we run into eachother down the road I won’t turn down the beer 🙂

74. GoldFishin says

@MK Congrats on the great eye and fantastic results on your (Spouse), oh I meant HOF coins. Oh, and please keep your IQ in check. A brain can be a terrible thing! 🙂 I hope you see this post since the blog has moved on. Remember, check back to past topics periodically to see what you didn’t miss.

75. Pittsburgh P says

@Goldfishin I was gonna comment on your….. uh hmmm
    Lost mine last thot them their dag nab eeit! I git back ta ya when I remembers. I do no it had somtin to do wit them thar baseball coins and NGC or PCNS or AMPEX or IQ or EBAY… One them thar tings wit letters in em. YEE HAW! Hope this there was tha rite blog….

76. GoldFishin says

Oh, that is a royal spouse hoot!!! Yuhoo too funny!

In all seriousness, I greatly appreciate your posts. I think you are thoughtful, inciteful, and helpful. You are just ful of it! 🙂 I admire how you take up for the spat on people and make them feel like they belong. This is a blog that should encourage people to ask questions and become more informed about a great hobby! It shouldn’t be a place where people get ridiculed and discouraged in their pursuit of knowledge. Thanks Pitt P!

77. Pittsburgh P says

Thanks Goldfishin, always enjoy your posts and I do try… Hate to say it but we are in a dying hobby and we need to bring in as many people as possible young and old, male and female. Once they find their first great coin that means somthing to them or get a great deal they’ll be hooked like many of us! That is why the BHoF coin is great for numismatics in general, if it brings a few hundred new collectors to the game that is more important in the long run than if this set is a home run or strikes out & is thrown in with the melt… Only my opinion which isn’t worth much these days:-)

78. S. Knight says

Amazing that the US Mint , in their entire history since 1793, has so few coins minted under 5,000 units in Uncirculated; and under 7,800 units in Proof types.

The old book by Eric Jordan, at the time in 2008, only showed some 100 coin types total.

In these GOLD dripping MS & PF First Spouses are some of the lowest 53 coins in those 100 types – time will tell what part they play as a finished two type set.

Very underrated very under bought very under collected and very misunderstood – the old History Chanel had a PRESIDENTS miniseries nonfiction that had a Spouse miniseries attached. Fascinating.

I love the First Spouses! They won’t be underappreciated forever. People love the thought of owning something that not everyone can have. With that in mind, these ridiculously low-mintage gems will do well after it’s all said and done. I only wish they hadn’t gotten so darned expensive so I could have kept my extra sets going! At least I do have an extra set of both the Proof and Unc Liberty subsets, as well as some good singles like the Julia and Letitia Tyler Uncs that I can sell at some point. I already sold the extra Lucy Hayes and Lucretia Garfield Uncs. From 2012 onward, I only have one of each finish. However, I will probably scrape up some dough to invest in extras of some of the 2013’s. They may well set the mintage lows for the series, unless the 2014’s beat them later.

80. S. Knight says

I see in the NEW Coin World magazine that the buyers at many of the coin shows are demanding third party grading.

I suspect that the big bucks they are paying is to get into more unique assets because they are buying the higher graded
    coins and even in the world type coins.

I also suspect that when this series goes DARK – like after the next 10 or so coins to FORD – (the US Mint said they would NOT skip a president) that the action on these with probably only 2,000 sets in UNC and 3,000 sets in PF – might be interesting.

I am reminded of Albert Einstein’s remark: “Only two things I know are INFINITE; the UNIVERSE and HUMAN STUPITY. However, I’m not sure about the first ONE!”

Coin collectors always wait until something goes DARK – and then like PIGS at the FAIR they grab them when they are two hot because they are afraid they will not get one and get BURNED.

Best wishes to all – buy anything US A under 5,000 MINTAGE UNCIRCULATED and and 7,800 MINTAGE PROOF – and you will probably not get burned.

81. JOSEPH says

On John in CT’s top 100 modern coins, it doesn’t say anything about BHOF and 5* Generals $5 Gold UNC.
    BHOF should in that list, it’s the CURVED coin in US history.

82. JOSEPH says

BHOF should be in that list,100%. it’s the first CURVED coin in US history.

83. Jon in CT says

JOSEPH wrote on May 15, 2014 at 8:01 PM:

BHOF should be in that list,100%. it’s the first CURVED coin in US history.

Thanks for your contribution, JOSEPH, but I think your favorite — Judge Wapner — is on TV now and we know how you hate to miss that show.

84. JOSEPH says

@John CT sorry, I never had a chance to watch that show. but one thing I am pretty sure, I like blogging here and judge on some crappy top list. LOL