2014 Great Smoky Mountains National Park Quarter Bags and Rolls

Today, January 27, 2014 at 12:00 Noon ET, the United States Mint will begin sales of bags and rolls of circulating quality 2014 Great Smoky Mountain National Park Quarters.  This represents the first of the five designs to be released this year for the America the Beautiful Quarters Program.

great-smoky

The reverse design of the coin features a historic log cabin located within Great Smoky Mountains National Park. The image incorporates a segment of the lush green forest, a hawk circling above, and the mountains beyond. The reverse was designed by Chis Costello and engraved by Renata Gordon. A quick search reveals that this image depicts or is very closely based on the John Oliver Cabin, which was built in 1822.

Initially, the US Mint had provided four different design candidates for this coin to be reviewed by the Commission of Fine Arts and Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee. Two of the designs focused on the wilderness and animal life, and two had depicted log cabins. The CFA had recommended the design eventually selected by the Secretary of the Treasury. The CCAC had offered no recommendation and made a motion to “request new designs giving more balance between the images and negative space, and less fine detail.” The US Mint did not provide any new designs.

The products available starting today for the 2014 Great Smoky Mountains National Park Quarter include circulating quality coins struck at the Philadelphia, Denver, and San Francisco Mint facilities. The Philadelphia and Denver Mint coins with the “P” and “D” mint marks will also be released for general circulation. The circulating quality San Francisco Mint coins with the “S” mint mark are not released for general circulation or included within annual sets.

Product options include 100-coin bags containing coins with either the “P”, “D”, or “S” mint mark priced at $34.95 each. There are 40-coin rolls containing coins with the “S” mint mark priced at $18.95 each. Set options include two roll sets including one roll of coins each with the “P” and “D” mint mark priced at $32.95, and three roll sets including one roll of coins each with the “P”, “D”, and “S” mint mark priced at $46.95 each. These price levels are unchanged from the prior year.

All products come in special numismatic packaging that incorporates the name of the park, the state abbreviation, the mint mark, and the face value of the contents.

Although the US Mint offers subscription options for these products, the 10% discount introduced for this year does not apply to the America the Beautiful Quarter bags and rolls.

Comments

1. SmallPotatos says

The 2014 AtB’s as a group, are the best so far, imho. After the first five of 2010, i have been very selective in which 5oz coins i have purchased. This year, i may end up with all five!

Don’t forget, to be true to their word the Mint should remove all of the White Mountain bags and rolls from sale by tomorrow, January 28. All of them have the clause that they will be available for one year from the initial on-sale date or until inventory is depleted.

It appears that they didn’t end them today when the new one went on sale (since they’re still available at the time of this writing), but they should be pulled tomorrow.

That is, or until inventory is depleted prior to the one-year time frame. In other words, they should only be available for one year tops.

4. VA Rich says

To the blog (well, except for high low as he has given up on Moderns) –

AtB Silver Quarter set arrived today – stunning! I had not noticed the pool of water at elevation on Shenandoah and Dunes has a nice contrast between the sand and the mountain, they’re impressive. A 5 oz proof version would be amazing in these designs!

High Low,

No, I don’t remember any comments of yours about 2012 Kennedy rolls. If they were to the effect that those should have been ended though, those rolls don’t have the “available for one year or until inventory is depleted prior to one year” clause on them. That started with 2013 products. I’m looking forward to finding out if the Mint will honor that clause, or conveniently forget to end sales of the White Mountain bags and rolls tomorrow.

@VA Rich – is there one standard laser finish to your ATB silver quarter set? Or are there different degrees of laser finishes (like the 5 star general proof silver coin)?

7. VARich says

that little coveted report is available, just act on it and please don’t start broadcasting it. don’t ask, don’t tell ;7

8. VARich says

Hid – none that I can tell, though the die they used was polished extremely well with amazing intricacy.

9. VARich says

ClevelandRocks – you also called it, those Browns do have some bad decision thrown their way, though I always pull for them. Think you also made another good call.., though we’ll need a good defense to give up no more than another 184 ‘yards’

Well, that’s good to know. The Mint was serious when saying those products would be available for only one year at most. That helps with planning. That could also make for some seriously low mintages on some products, such as the Presidential Dollar Coin and First Spouse Medal sets. Each the 2013’s could well come in with 5,000 or less sold. That won’t allow for very many complete sets of those to be built in the future.

So, the next product to go will be the White Mountain ATB Quarter 3-Coin Set, which will be pulled by February 12. It may be a winner, as the El Yunque set has done well and according to sales figures the White Mountain set should come in at least 2,800 lower. It might be worth a $9.95 gamble.

11. oldfolkie says

I thought all the Smokies designs were good and yet CCAC felt they couldn’t recommend any. I’m glad the mint ignored their request for new designs. If I remember correctly one of the groups also requested that some mountains in the background on the Shenandoah design be removed.

12. Larry says

Just ordered the ATB silver quarter proof set, can’t wait to see them. I wasn’t going to order the Civil Rights Act commem, but the more I look at the back of the coin the more I want to see it. I don’t like the front, so I will just look at the back! Only costs 50 bucks, might as well.

I’ve got both the proof and the Unc CRA coins. The proof is nice but the Unc is not appealing either obverse or reverse. I don’t see that these two coins ever get any traction.

@oldfolkie… I think the recommendation was to remove a tree and change the hiker as well as check the perspective of the road in the middle.

15. simon says

Larry : just my 2c – the proof is absolutely stunning in hand. The obverse field has a prefect mirror finish and the devices float lifelike above the field. The mint captured this design remarkably well, and I would have to count this coin as one of the best in my collection. They have also utilized “enhanced” finish artifacts on the reverse, giving it a highly decorative ornamental look. The flame is very realistic. I do also like the uncirculated matte finish, and the two coins side-by-side are highly complementary. You will definitely not regret your purchase.

16. AkBob says

OT – Someone on here on a previous blog said they had a link to Dansco for Albums and specifically albums they aren’t making or something like that. Was that you Eddie? I need an album for the small code talkers medals. Also I would like to see Dansco make one for the FS Bronze medals as well. Whitman makes one for the FS Medals. All my albums are Dansco and I hate to change albums types if I don’t. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

Not so fast, the White Mountain S quarters are still available along with the P and D’s. The 1/2 oz. gold is new low unless a couple hundred show up in the next report.

18. VA Rich says

What ever happened to First Day covers?

I’m going through taking some inventory to parse out some stuff for the JFK sets I’ll want and just realized they went obscure with the wrap up the territories and a 3rd way thru the Presidents.., guess they weren’t a big seller though I have to admit, some were very well done. Especially like DC (cherry blossoms) and New York (Lady Liberty) which was released right before 9-11. They’re needs to be more consistency to maintain a set…

19. oldfolkie says

@phelps What you said is correct, and I went back to look at their recommendations again and they thought the “hazy hills” in the background could be removed. I can’t wait to see them all.

Dusty,

None of the White Mountain quarter rolls or bags are still available. If you click on the 3-roll set that was left on the product page, the item detail is “sold out” on the next page.

21. Samuel says

it was available about 3 hours after all others sold out. obviously, somebody bought all of them.

Who would have ever thought going into 2013 that in many ways, 2012 was about to look..not so spectacular. Makes me wonder what 2014 is shaping up to look like?

23. Jerry Diekmann says

I can’t help but think how beautiful Great Smoky Mountains and Shenandoah National Parks would have been if the land had been set aside earlier than they were. All the original forests were cut down and the land settled and disturbed. We all owe an immense debt of gratitude to John Muir, Stephen Mather, Theodore Roosevelt, and other men with the foresight and character to preserve some of this beautiful country so that it could be enjoyed by others who came after them. That being said, the Great Smoky Mountains coin is probably the most beautiful of all the ATB quarters so far minted, and I would guess that it would remain so, given what is on the horizon after this year.

24. VARich says

Dusty – 2013 has been quite the year! I hope you’re right about ’14, otherwise it’s shaping up to be long year. Think we got the new low on the AGE half, it’ll be close, very close.

25. Mike S. says

Besides for the money, why is the mint making “S” clad business quarters? I though they were only going to make these in 2012?

I’m sorry to say that there is no we, so good luck. My hopes are in the 2012 1/2 remaining on top. I’ll be happy with mine being runner up if that’s what I’m holding, especially since the mintages are so close. As far as I know, Friday noon may have been that last count at the Mint…another suspenseful week of waiting. Anyway, with Fed taper, market jitters, and the possibility of a dovish Yellen, I think there’s a good possibility that a great deal of US Mint buyers may continue to feel priced out of numismatics and stay in the bullion aisle. That would make 2014 just as interesting as `13. I naturally want peace for us all, but with the load our world leaders our dealing with today, some like babies with power tools, I can tell the coming years are going to be no walk in the park, and have to believe we are not far from PM’s floor. At any rate, PM’s are money, and rare is more money!

27. VARich says

Per Fed Register – some of you guys need to apply – Jerry, Dusty, thePhelps – this is all you!

Pursuant to United States Code, Title 31, section 5135 (b), the United States Mint is accepting applications for membership to the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee (CCAC) for a new member specially qualified to serve on
    the CCAC by virtue of his or her education, training, or experience in American hi
    story.

Dusty,

All of the White Mountain bags and rolls can be found under the “No longer available” tab on the “product schedule” page.

In fact, if anyone is looking for the 3-roll set of Mount Rushmore, it too is currently located under the “No longer available” tab. It seems the Mint inadvertently moved it there when moving the White Mountain products. In case it takes them a while to figure out what happened and move it back, that’s where you can find it in the meantime if you want to order any. It IS still available to purchase.

29. VARich says

I’m thinking about it, at least through my name in the hat. I would love to serve on the CCAC. I think they they’d see me as way too young and not enough pedigrees on the may paperwork. I was thinking about taking the ANA numismatic classes for fun anyway, so that would probably help at a later point.

30. VARich says

oops, “throw” and “on my” paperwork – fingers frozen along with brainfreeze from the outside.

31. Don says

VARich,

I don’t think that they (CCAC) are looking for individuals that have a doctorate in numismatics, so you should be alright.

I am nothing but a bumbling idiot collector. Under educated and overlly opinionated… besides being a crusty old F…art. I don’t think that is the art they would be interested in.

33. VARich says

Don’t be so hard on yourself thePhelps, you have some of the best posting out here…

Thanks Don, in rereading the qualifications that they’re looking for, I have a couple in the bag.., I’m going to apply. Worth a shot!

@VARich
    The number for the 1/2 oz AGE has been lowered to 4,824, a reduction of 33 from what was reported on the excel spreadsheet yesterday. New magic number is 217

Great, would be awesome to see one of the bloggers in the CCAC. Michael? Are you applying? I think you would have a great shot at it.

36. CW says

@Jerry Diekmann, I think you might want to research the creation of the park. Many rightful owners were kicked off their property by the government. It isn’t all rosy. It seems to be more of a Rockefeller pet project that steam rolled anyone who had ties to the area. Just my thoughts.

thePhelps, Just for the record, I value your opinion. Plus I’ve noticed you’ve kept it up for some time. You have equity in this blog.
    VARich, That would be fun, and thanks for the encouragement. I would love hearing what you had to say about CCAC happenings were you able to get in!

38. VA Rich says

Dusty – personally you, the Phelps, Jerry and one other are far more qualified than I for the current the position IMHO, & that’s a very sincere compliment. You guys should at least throw in.

But thanks for the support. They’re also seeking Leadership.., and numismatic representation, …I’m very much enthusiastic about volunteering.., probably a snow balls chance…, but I’m in my early 40’s, …so I’ve got a few years to figure it out…, & it if were to work out, you guys got a voice..

39. Jerry Diekmann says

@ VARich – thanks for the compliment. I probably have less artisitc ability than any of us on this blog, but I can certainly appreciate art. The GSM quarter is the most artisitic of all the quarters, IMO. The Chickasaw and White Mountain quarters are quite pretty. I am a little disappointed with the ATB quarters – I thought they would show more detail – it’s hard to see the animals in some of the NP quarters, and some of the others just come across strange, like Great Basin, to me. And why have a fallen log take up so much space on the Yosemite quarter?

40. Jerry Diekmann says

@ CW – thanks. I know that a lot of people who had settled in what became later Great Smoky Mountains and Shenandoak National Parks were kicked off their lands so that the parks could be created. This was in the 1920s and 1930s, which was quite late in the national park creation program At the time, Acadia, in far off Maine, was the only NP east of the Rocky Mountains. My point was only that I wish our ancestors would have had more foresight in setting aside these mountains before they were settled by people who cut down all the virgin forests. It also happened in the west (I’m from California). If you want to read about some tragedies to our national resources, read what people did to the Sequoia groves and the Gold Rush rivers and mountains in the latter half of the 19th century, before men like John Muir and Teddy Roosevelt stemmed the tide. Otherwise, the West today would be as bad off as the East is now.