2014 Presidential Dollar Four Coin Sets, Possible Price Decrease for Gold Products

Today, September 16, 2014 at 12:00 Noon ET, the United States Mint started accepting orders for the 2014 Presidential $1 Four Coin Sets. There are separate four coin sets available from both the Philadelphia and Denver Mints facilities.

Four Coin Set

Each set contains circulating quality examples of the 2014-dated Presidential Dollars featuring Warren G. Harding, Calvin Coolidge, Herbert Hoover, and Franklin D. Roosevelt. The coins feature a portrait of the President on the obverse along with inscriptions indicating the order of Presidency and dates served. The common reverse design features a rendition of the Statue of Liberty.

The coins included in the sets are “circulating quality” which means that they should be similar in quality to the coins found in the bags, rolls, and boxes that have been offered for each respective release. Other products such as the 2014 Uncirculated Coin Set, 2014 Presidential $1 Coin Uncirculated Set, and 2014 Annual Uncirculated Dollar Coin Set contain “uncirculated quality” coins, which are typically of higher quality.

The Presidential $1 Four-Coin Set was introduced in 2012, when the series ceased distribution of new issues to the channels of circulation. The four coin sets seem to be positioned as low price point to acquire one example of each coin of the series issued for the year.

Each set is priced at $12.95. There is a product limit of 15,000 units each for the Philadelphia and Denver Sets.

The 2013-dated sets have reached sales of 15,557 for the Philadelphia set and 11,753 for the Denver set.

Possible Price Decrease for Gold Numismatic Products

gold-jfkBased on the available data, there is a possibility that the prices for the United States Mint’s numismatic gold products may be reduced tomorrow. As most readers will know, the US Mint uses a flexible pricing system which allows numismatic gold and platinum products to be updated based on the average weekly price of the metals.

The pricing system utilizes the average weekly price of the metal based on the London Fix prices from the prior Thursday AM to the current Wednesday AM. If the average moves into a higher or lower tier established at $50 intervals, then a price change may potentially take place. A secondary criteria requires that the Wednesday PM Fix price must agree directionally with any potential change.

The average gold price for the current period will likely fall into the $1,200 to $1,249.99 range. This is one tier lower than the range used to establish current prices. As long as the Wednesday PM fix price is below $1,250 to fulfill the secondary criteria, then the price decrease would take place.

The price of the 2014 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half Dollar Gold Proof Coin would be reduced from $1,240 to $1,202.50. This would represent the lowest US Mint pricing for the product since it was released on August 5.

Other products impacted by a price change would include the proof and uncirculated American Gold Eagles, Proof American Gold Buffalo, and First Spouse Gold Coins. Each product would see its price decreased proportionally by $50 for each ounce of gold content.

Comments

1. Tinto says

@GoldFishin

I read somewhere that CAC has a green sticker and a gold sticker (maybe for something they see as a perhaps a “plus” (just guessing here)… to the grade assigned by the TPG?) maybe there are more varieties of stickers … ??? and WINGS are for world coins (so far I think ….)

Getting really confusing to me but what is not confusing is that the TPG and the sticker folks are making money off this continuing marketing hype …

2. Jon in CT says

Eagle One wrote on September 17, 2014 at 12:44 AM:

Assuming the short term historical performance is approximately equal to present performance, bg35765 should of seen a few 70s.

Eagle One wrote on September 17, 2014 at 12:55 AM:

The sudden decline in recent grades are either due changes in the TPG’s grading standard or the Mint’s manufacturing process experienced a minor degradation.>/blockquote>

I see you have your feet firmly planted on both sides of the issue. Bravo!

3. Jerry Diekmann says

VA Bob – you are SO right about the TPGs. Maybe what the statistics gurus in the group have calculated as the probability of 69s vs. 70s strongly indicates (if not proves) that the whole business is a fraud. This is a conclusion I have been coming to gradually over the last several years with all the hype of first strikes, green stickers, labels, pictures and/or signatures on labels, and now the disparity in grades based on whether you are a big dealer vs. a small time collector. It’s the same way that Coinage and Coin World play the game. If you have a problem with a false advertisement in their publications, expect no help from them, as they don’t want to antagonize their advertisers, the bread and butter of their business, as 90% of both publicationsis advertising and/or current prices for all coins, which just takes up a lot of space, although it does meet the “weight test”. The TPG guys are going to favor the big dealers who speculate on quick and hefty profits to be made on giving 70s ratings to them and 69s to nearly everyone else. I would not be surprised at all if there wasn’t some “quid pro quo” – kickbacks – going on between the graders and the big dealers. Remember the old adage, “Figures don’t lie, but liars figure”. Maybe the ANA should investigate this situation, if they are not already in the pockets of the bad guys. Their reputation as a professional organization has deteriorated over the years. All in all, these dirty tactics are not good for the coin collecting hobby, and I suspect the JFK gold half dollar has lost some sales because of the bitter taste in a lot of people’s mouths over the way the Mint and the ANA mishandled the sales of the coin, plus the big dealers busing in homeless and other people to circumvent the supposed restrictions on monopolizing purchases. Pretty disgusting, and a lot of blame to be shared among the ANA, the Mint, the TPGs, and the big dealers, IMO..

4. Ends in Error says

The Mint should strike a few in Silver – might save em some money. The dual dated Kennedy in Silver would ignite sales a bit. As long as there weren’t too many struck.

5. A different Jeff says

Grading, grading, grading…
    First, we should remember that 70 represents a perfect coin – no flaws (discernible with a5x loupe). Perfection is a truly high standard, one which should represent the exception rather than the rule. I have been collecting for many years (pulled my first Kennedys out of circulation in ’64) and once upon a time a grade of 67 was considered the highest reasonably achievable grade (and the progression was 60, 63, 65, 67), with the granularity to provide a bit of cushion for those pesky in-betweens. Gradually, as the mint improved its manufacturing processes and quality improved we began to see a few 68s. Now, almost all numismatic strikes are regularly MS/PR-69. Grading any coin as a 70 leaves no room for that better specimen which might come along, and also does not allow for slight differences between various examples of a given coin. Not all 70s are the same, so how could those variances be accounted for in supposedly perfect coins? Soon we may see a grade of 70+, or perhaps even 71! Wouldn’t that be a find – a more than perfect coin.

In the immortal words of Garrison Keillor – “Well, that’s the news from Lake Wobegon, where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average.”

6. bg35765 says

Jon – It has been 17 years since my statistics class in college, and if I remember correctly I may have gotten a C. (My professor’s thick accent didn’t help.)

I was thinking something more along the lines of using the PCGS population report to determine the likelihood of one coin being less than 70 and then multiplying that probability over five coins. And then repeating the exercise for the different show/first day labels. And finally a look at a few dealers’ submissions to see how many consecutive 69s they received.

I had a project go in at work on Monday and I am working a lot of hours. So I’ll get to it when things slow down.

Jon in CT, This is a coin blog and I want to keep it that way, plus I actually care about you as a person, the same as myself. Therefore I want to say that I’m no longer engaging in name calling for the sake of all who read and enjoy this blog /thread. This is a community of coin enthusiasts who are not here for contentious words, but for the expression and learning about the hobby. So with that being said I formally apologize for all petty language aimed at you sir. Norman

8. Hawkster says

As long as TPG’s are not held accountable for their very questionable practices, nothing will change. They will remain biased toward the customers that generate the most revenue for them. The small customers should be known as the “69ers”, who are used by the TPG’s in an attempt to make the 70 grade more relevant.
    As long as the TPG graders are aware of whose coins they are grading, this nonsense will continue to prevail. Who would they rather tick off: the big mega dealer customer or the little guy customer?

9. ips_stuff says

total off topic, but I got an email yesterday from the mint…

Items included in this shipment:

1. 2014 BASEBALL HOF GOLD UNC (B32) Qty : 1

Look like that 3/28 order finally is shipping. Any thoughts on what the condition of this “late” BHOF will look like?

10. Pittsburgh P says

Dustyroads its all in good fun & I appreciate your comments being the bigger man. That being said it will fall on deaf ears as I and others have tried the same thing with this commenter. I have apologized & tried to appeal to this person rational side in the past only to be ridiculed and/or laughed at for it. So what I say now may seem harsh but I honestly believe it’s what he/she wants – attention. I have learned just to ignore him/her but at times it is hard because I do not like it when people act superior or maliciously attack others for no reason… I am not hard to get along with and gave learned to roll with it or ignore it 🙂 You are correct this is a coin blog not a statistics or grammer class or high school so if you or anyone has been put off by my comments in jest please let me know & I will stop…

I do appreciate everyones comments and opinions – GF, Cag, VaRich, Jerry, Ikaika only to name a very small few – that are here to learn, inform, and grow collectively as numismatic brethren, stackers, and even flippers…

11. VA Rich says

Pitt P – I’m really looking forward to the grading class we’re signed up for, I think it’ll open up an all new perspective for our own collecting acumen as well as what we’ll be able to share on the blog. And you know they’ll be some very insightful side discussions about the biz that one would otherwise never be privy to (most likely). Anyhoo, I can’t wait! Maybe I should bring a long a sample or two for a second opinion?

Pittsburgh P,

There’s really only two ways it could happen. Either:

1. Consumers “vote with their feet” and stop buying labels. I think this is unlikely given how shady outfits like the Home Shopping Network always seem to be finding new suckers to overcharge, and someone is paying those eBay flippers their asking prices too.

or 2. Some sort of of investigative reporting/journalism is done that somehow exposes direct collusion between TPGs and dealers with irrefutable evidence like leaked emails. The shock of such a revelation might be enough to cause collectors to walk away from labels. Needless to say, I also think this is very unlikely as well.

I can’t do much more than doing my part by not playing the game and not buying graded modern coins. Part of the reason I prefer to do business with mints directly rather than buying from dealers is because I don’t really trust the dealers to send me quality products, since more often than not, those will be the ones sent in for grading and marked way up.

13. Hawkster says

IPS,
    There’s a dood chance that your HOF gold coin will have a more worn glove and the baseball might have a few loose stitchings. Just kidding, good luck with it.

14. gary says

@PittP… Agree. For me the TPG opinion has some validity for determination of authenticity of valuable coins. Even at that they could make errors of judgement. My conclusion is that nobody can hold them accountable for any of their methods of business. They are almost like those major investment banks responsible for the crash of 2008. A monopoly “too big to fail”.

15. ips_stuff says

Hawkster,

I am assuming it will be a coin someone’s returned back to the mint. After this long I would not think the mint had any gold bhof coins just sitting on a shelve.

I will take my contacts out when I get it and give this one a close up look before I decide to keep it.

16. cagcrisp says

@ips_stuff, Take heart you have a chance at getting a good Gold BHOF. Looks like they are trying to get as close to 50,000 as possible. Hard copy numbers are 49,907 while the excel spreadsheet shows 51,279. Some of those coming back to the Mint could be just like the Gold Kennedy’s returning. Just a change of mind, money issues or just that sales dollars are coming down on the bay…

The Gold BHOF are oversold 1,279 with just 93 slots left to be sold to hit the 50,000 mark. Take heart that you could have one of the Last 93 coins sold…

17. Pittsburgh P says

VaRich me too! 😉 Yeah bring some of your “flawless” 69s and we can ask why they weren’t 70s & see if the expert can tell… Better yet bring a 69 and a 70 and cover the label and see if they can determine the grade given.

CO yep I don’t see either of those happening either. I’m with you though and just don’t play the game anymore… Not that I did much before.

Gary I agree the TPGs are useful for authentication but who needs a modern authenticated??? Unless your buyin from Beijing

Ips good luck, depending on how bad your vision is without your contacts I’m sure it’ll be a keeper 😉

18. VA Rich says

cag – do you have to email the seller to find that info out? Or is there a fleabay feature I’m missing?

19. Jerry Diekmann says

Captain Overkill – I will take that as a “second” to my motion that an investigation be conducted into the conduct and collaboration between the TPGs and the big dealers. Like you said, the possibility of something like that goiing on is unlikely. It certainly won’t be coming from the coin publications, which make most of their money off of the advertising from the big dealers. Like you I do not buy modern graded coins. The only value of slabs is for older coins, but as alluded by “the other Jeff”, even then over the years there has been a steady “grade progression”, as MS63s are now MS64s and MS64s are now MS65s, and even VFs become EFs, and EFs become AUs. Conclusion – the graders can assign whatever grade they want to to a coin, with little fear of reprisal. A 69 grade on a modern coin to a big dealer goes to or is exchanged for a 70 grade, and the small-time collector gets thye 69 grade. I think these TPGs and the big dealers are ruining the hobby, and the apparent ineptness of the Mint doesn’t help matters. Conclusion – buy graded coins only if they are older coins – 1964 and before, and recognize that older slabs are more likely to have the true grade than the fancy new hologram slabs.. Don’t buy graded modern coins and for sure don’t buy labels or FS or ER coins – they add zero value to the coin in the long run – it is all hype and a bubble that will burst one day and leave those buyers of those coins with big losses – paper and real. I have lived long enough to know that there are people out there just waiting to take your money or self-created “rarities”, whether they are coins or beanie babies.

20. cagcrisp says

@VA Rich, get the ‘item number’ of the product you are wanting to know the sales price of and then go to the website http://www.watchcount.com. put the ‘item number’ in the Keywords yellow slot and hit ‘Show me what’s Most Popular’ and then you see the Sale price and see Multiple Sales prices under ‘History’ if there is more than one offering( Buy it Now)

21. Sith says

I can’t believe that their is still a discussion about the probability of PF-70s vs PF-69s, you can calculate all the known variables but ultimately it come down to the grader as the grade is selective. IE even if the grader was unbiased which they have already admitted in legal documents that they are not unbiased, it would still depend on the grader’s opinion as it has been proven the same coin will not get the same grade even from the same company. Then your calculations are dependent on a bunch of additional variables not changing such as worn dies, workers, etc.. IE you ordered 5 coins but they came from the same batch, and that batch was run with a worn die.

22. Sith says

CO,

Their have already been investigations and the PCGS signed a consent decrees to stop the at best unethical behavior but of course without declaring wrong doing. That was about 30 years ago, so it is water under the bridge

As a reminder the FTC accused the “PCGS of misleading consumers by falsely claiming that it provides consistent, objective grading of rare coins.”

23. simon says

Clark : I’ll be sure to add the ’92 silver dollar.

Clark, the unique aspect of this coin in uncirculated format is that it has edge lettering – VERY NICE!

24. Pittsburgh P says

Sith most of us knew that. Grading was very different in the 1980s and it was when PCGS & NGC was just getting started. They were not grading modern coins and there wasn’t different labels for the same coins or FS/ER. So it’s really a different topic and not water under the bridge imo.
    I believe what CO and Jerry are saying is another investigation is needed or at the least someone should look into it since it’s pretty obvious people will not stop buying them either due to lack of knowledge or shady TV saleman/dealers as CO said… Or some like them I guess & don’t mind paying a huge premium.

25. simon says

RE: TPG authentication. The authentication process is itself an undesirable business. It involves not only minute examination of the devices, fields, and lettering but also physical handling of the coin to measure its mass and dimensions, and infer material density. If I had an old coin deemed valuable I would not allow TPGs to touch and handle the coin period. I would go after it myself – given the abundance of high resolution coin images on Heritage and dealer websites, and the availability of accurate jewelers scales, and calipers.

26. Sith says

Pittsburgh P – I did not say it was water under the bridge but IMHO these people will be fleeced just like the people who got fleeced by Tulving when it went bankrupt about two years ago. All because they forgot that the very same company did the exact same thing about 30 years ago. If Hannes Tulving, Jr. is still alive 30 years from now I would expect him to be fleecing a new set of investors. History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme. I imagine if

As far as another investigation it has already been discussed that most of us and I would dare say any legal department would not be able to distinguish a 69 from a 70. You could attempt to bring in a bean counter and statistically prove that they are wrong, like what is happening here, but they can’t even stop the brokers and talking heads on TV from giving unbiased advice on stocks,or trade on inside information, and that affects billions of dollars in investments, but we want an investigation on subjective coin grading…good luck with that.

27. silverhawk357 says

@Negative Ned in CT – –
    About the Bulk Purchase Program, you said ” So none of this is the good stuff?” is on the bulk program, then listed what can be ordered, concerning my comment. My comment was short hand to mean that all the new Commems, special releases are not on the Bulk program. How many proof sets does anyone need? How many Gold Spouse coins? If I could add a couple gold Kennedys to the order, it would make sense. I have a valid point. I can order in bulk but a small time honest business just can’t get a break. I’m watching the gold Kennedy today. If I COULD put together a big order with those on the bulk form, I would., and the Mint would get more business from me.

28. A&L Futures says

Wasn’t there supposed to be a price reduction today? The gold Kennedy Half Dollar coin is still at $1,240.00.

29. Pittsburgh P says

Sith I must’ve just misunderstood what was meant when you said:

“That was about 30 years ago, so it is water under the bridge”

I agree with you aboutTulving & if it’s not him it’ll be someone.
    I doubt an investigation will happen and if it does it is subjective as you say… I just think most here are only airing their displeasure with TPGs knowing nothing will change…

30. Hawkster says

The grading of modern bullion coins is especially ridiculous. Hey, we can banter back and forth all we want about the folly of grading moderns. Unfortunately, it is the fringe or casual collectors who are targeted by the TV hucksters, leading them to believe that a modern coin needs to be graded to insure its “pedigree”. It is these collectors/buyers who need to be better informed. A good deal of the responsibility to be better educated, coin wise, lies with the individuals themselves.

31. VA Rich says

2014 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half-Dollar Gold Proof Coin (K15)

This product is temporarily unavailable for product repricing.

32. Sith says

Pittsburgh P – It was my bad, I should have said for the general public it is water under the bridge. My post definitely implied that I personally thought it was water under the bridge, and that is not the case, I find it very relevant to why the dealers seem to get lucky. To quote Animal farm

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others”

33. simon says

Pitt : most here are only airing their displeasure with TPGs knowing nothing will change…

There has to be a grass roots collector effort to “get the word out”
    On examining recent history, the hype, particularly with PCGS,
    is volcanic. To name a few examples, the “1st Kennedy Gold” @ 100K,
    the high mintage “LESPS coins in PCGS tags” each coin selling for > $500,
    not too long ago the 2000/2001 Sacagawea common proofs selling for $2000 – $3000,
    which is unbelievable considering I picked up both coins in PCGS tags recently
    for under $50 at the 70 grade. The list goes on and on simply because the TPGs
    have discovered that people have money and will spend lushly on purely personal whims.

This affects us ordinary collectors quite a bit because we simply can’t get
    original high quality coins we missed on issue directly from the mint.

The coins are simply not allowed to mature in value gradually as used to be the case
    not long ago. Now PCGS can grade 10-20 coins minted in the millions, determine
    that the population of 70s is 1-2, and these coins sell for thousands, at least in the short term.
    The 2000/2001 Sacagawea proofs are a case in point.

34. Pittsburgh P says

Sith no problem but thanks for the clarification… Excellent quote & very true.

VaRich so does that mean 1240$ is the lowest the Mint will sell the JFK gold? Or just for now…. Seems odd and kinda shady. You’d think they’d just pull the plug & call it a loss 🙂

35. Pittsburgh P says

Simon I don’t disagree with you but as I said earlier what can be done?

The general public could care less so who are we getting the word out too?

36. Mr. Kairu says

Kind of off topic question… but is the JFK half that A&L sold the same that comes in the uncirculated set being sold for 9.95? I was just wondering what about it (besides the awesome grade) made it worth that much since I can’t find another 50th anniversary coin that it could be. Thanks!

37. Mr. Kairu says

@AkBob – thank you! I just wondered if the coin from the $10 set was actually worth that much even in that nice a grade.

38. VA Rich says

Pitt – You would think they’d just pull the plug & call it a loss!
    I wonder if the buyers household limit history will carry over
    Good idea on the bringing a few pieces for conversation sake
    Well, we survived Tequila Tuesday, we’ll have to see what’s in store come Ginevening Thursdays

All – Every time the workings of TPG’s are mentioned here on this blog, it is a service provided to the many readers, many who lurk and do not comment. These readers are constantly rolling in and out, so the topic should be repeated from time to time. In perhaps a small way, everyone here is effecting change in the hobby if someone takes away from the knowledge provided and applies it with the coin industry.

It’s an uphill battle when there is money to be made in slabs and labels. The only way to get the sellers to change is to change the buyers. It will be a long process and the TPG’s and their surrogates surely will try to counter it.

40. cagcrisp says

Comparing the Products having the 10% Subscriptions for 2014 vs. Comparable sales Dates for 2013 without the 10% Subscription. Comparing Sales for 09/15/13 vs. 09/14/14. There are 14 items listed for 2014 that the 10% Subscription Discount program. I could not find anything for 2014 for the ATB circulation coin set so I will only compare 13 items. Also I will compare Only the 1st 3 offerings of the last 3 so as to try to get a better comparison apples to apples…

P15 2013 PROOF SET 536,086

NR1-3 2014 ATB SILVER UNC 5 OZ 1st 3 77,691………………+26,849………….+53%

N46-48 2013 ATB QTR 3-COIN SET -1st 3 40,918
    P87-89 2014 ATB QTR 3-COIN SET -1st 3 41,097………………+179…………0%

P45-47 2013 PRES $1 COIN COVER -1st 3 36,860
    P49-51 2014 PRES $1 COIN COVER – 1st 3 32,663……………-4,197…………-11%

Jerry,

I would like to see someone look into the practices of the graders, but I am quite sympathetic to coin publications because many of them are small outfits geared towards hobbyists that often only have a few people working for them, many of whom are probably not getting paid much and are enthusiasts themselves. To really investigate, someone would either have to get lucky and have information leaked to them, or else a dedicated person would have to spend a lot of time digging. (for instance, Mint News Blog is a major coin publication, and it’s basically just one person!)

Other than that, I largely agree with your post and insights. I have long thought myself that coin grades are really only important when dealing with older/historic pieces. I would generally not even consider graded coins past the 1960s and would cast a wary eye on anything after the 30s-40s.

42. A&L Futures says

@ Mr. Kairu,

It’s possible that the price (i.e. the sales price) was based not on the coin itself, but the purpose for which it was sold.

43. cagcrisp says

@Eddie, The Mint has a Gold pricing grid that they follow. The do Not have a Silver pricing grid that they follow or at least they have not published one…

44. A different Jeff says

Briefly two items…

First, with regard to ending sales of the Kennedy golds early, I doubt the mint will cease unless the LBMA gold fix drops so low that they can’t recoup the costs. At this point I believe the mint has produced approximately 70,000 coins of the 75,000 they indicated they could handle before more blanks had to be procured. This gives an inventory of roughly 6,000 finished units (plus whatever they do with returns) to satisfy a demand, after the initial week’s insanity, which is averaging just above 200 units per week. The two weeks with positive net sales both were the result of pending price changes: the first as prices were going higher, the second as prices were going lower. With this new price change, I would expect to see 500 to 1,000 net sales if gold stabilizes in the current range. Given all this, I would not be surprised to see Gold sales end shortly after the Silvers go on sale,probably mid-November.

Second, I received my Clad Kennedy set a few days ago (ordered with my gold Kennedy on opening day), and based on comments I’ve heard and read about the initial batch and the seeming lower quality, I’d have to say there may be an improvement in manufacturing and handling, as mine seem to be better than those described. The Denver particularly shows strong ‘eye-appeal’.

Oh, and one more thing – consider that something approaching 60,000 units (K15) will qualify for ‘First Strike’/’Early Release’ based on the 30 day window. Makes that distinction pretty worthless, huh?