2014 Proof American Platinum Eagle

Today, October 20, 2014 at 12:00 Noon ET, the United State Mint will begin accepting orders for the 2014 Proof American Platinum Eagle. This coin will represent the sixth and final release within the “Preamble” series, which has featured representations of the core concepts of American democracy as found in the Preamble to the Constitution. The theme for this year’s coin is “To Secure the Blessings of Liberty to Ourselves and Our Posterity”.

2014 Platinum Eagle Proof Coin

The reverse design of the coin features a depiction of Young Liberty carrying a torch with the sun rising in the background over a gentle landscape. Liberty’s youth represents the hope and promise of the America, while the torch represents freedom. The landscape symbolizes harmony, pleasure, and and sociability, the blessings that flow from a government that ensures freedom passes from one generation to the next. The American Eagle privy mark, which appeared on other releases of the design series, is incorporated into the design. The reverse for this year’s coin was designed by Susan Gamble and sculpted by Joseph Menna.

The obverse of the coin features the portrait of the Statue of Liberty designed and engraved by John Mercanti. This design has been used for the obverse of all numismatic and bullion releases for the series.

packaging

Each coin is struck in 99.95% platinum with a fine weight of 1 troy ounce and diameter of 32.70 mm. The coins are packaged in a custom designed portfolio presentation case which contains a narrative by Chief Justice John G. Roberts, Jr. which inspired the reverse design of the coin. The folder also includes the certificate of authenticity and the coin specification information.

Pricing is covered by the US Mint’s policy for gold and platinum numismatic products which utilizes the average weekly market prices of the metals. The average price of platinum for the weekly period falls into the $1,250 to $1,299.99 range. This should result in an opening price of $1,650 per coin. The Mint has set the opening price at $1,600.

A maximum mintage of 15,000 coins has been established for this release with no household ordering limits in place. The maximum mintage matches the level used for the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Proof Platinum Eagles, despite steadily declining sales over those years. The last reported sales for these coins were 14,790 pieces in 2011, 10,084 pieces in 2012, and just 5,763 pieces in 2013.

Comments

Considering that bullion platinum eagles run about $1400 if paid with cc, the opening price is relatively reasonable. When gold and platinum are about the same, platinum tends to be a bargain at that level since it is scarcer.

2. CasualCollector says

@Pittsburgh P

Well, I am not certain they are “fingerprints” — whatever mark it is, they all look similar and the location is about the same spot on all 7 examples I have seen. I put together the following picture showing all 7 coins

The breakdown is:
    NGC SP69 – 3
    NGC SP68 – 2
    ANACS SP69 – 2

And here is a picture showing the section of the coin with the “fingerprint”

@CC, hmm, those look to me like left over water spots after rinsing…could be wrong but def. in the “process” as they are all uniform…thanks for sharing

4. Hawkster says

Fm,
    Your explanation of the marks on the Kennedy clads sounds more plausible, especially since they are occurring in the same location.
    If the spots were fingerprints, it seems they would occur in a more random manner on the coins.

5. beaver says

These Platinum coins have beautiful designs. Too bad they are expensive. Would be nice if they have the fractionals back. And the smallest offering would be a quarter size!

6. Smiledon says

Anyone here know if the UHR gold and silver coin for next year has been set in stone yet? I did the Mint’s customer survey last month, and I wonder if the actual design has been set yet. Also, since there is to be a silver coin, will that be the same or not.

7. Rick says

The platinum coin is now priced at $1,650 on the Mint’s website as of about 5:00pm. Did they change the price from the opening?

8. cagcrisp says

@Smiledon, what is being Proposed is a Gold UHR and a Silver medal, not a Silver coin.T he Proposal is for both designs to be the same…

VA Bob,

If you read this post, I just responded to your question to me on the Hoover Coin & Spouse Medal Set post from the other day. I never saw it until a few minutes ago. Sorry!

10. Jon in CT says

Mint News Blog wrote on October 20:

I guess people needed to act fast to grab that $1600 “opening” price — it’s current price is $1650.

11. cagcrisp says

And…………………..According to the NEW and Improved US Mint’s Pricing Grid…………….it should be $1,600.00

12. Tinto says

When I put the coin in the shopping cart it showed $1,600, BUT when I tried to check out the $1,650 amount popped up……. sigh … looks like a bait and switch (the price that is) to me not a nice feeling … esp. if their pricing grid shows $1,600

Not a nice feeling .. didn’t place the order ….. yet .. maybe someone at the Mint will see that it should be $1,600 and hit the reset button … what a mess …

Leftover mayo on the corner of the thumb from the slab worker slabbing them as fast as he can?

14. GoldFishin says

@Casual Collector- the spots that are on each of your coins are definitely the same exact pattern. The contamination whether a fingerprint, sponge, grease, glove mark or whatever had to either be on the dye or a run of planchets. I would lean towards the dye since the location was exactly the same. If it were on the planchets the location would most likely be different. It seems to of had the effect of water spotting the coins with the same exact pattern. In Photos 6 and 8 there a a few water spots just below the recurring pattern which are identical in coloration. This leads me to believe that whatever the contamination on the dye was…..it had the effect of spotting the coins just like an improperly cleaned/dried planchet would. JMHO

15. Pittsburgh P says

GF well said… I assumed the same thing on the previous thread before I saw the pics. Since they were Identical markings I didn’t feel they’d pmd.

Fmt lol I hate mayo πŸ™‚

2cents the markings wouldn’t be so similar or identical if that was the case imo… Reeded edges are on the edge of the coin – they’re not visible looking strait at the coin. They are somewhat visible in pics 4 and 6 I think.

16. VA Rich says

Rick – that’s the ‘virtual price” – the American Eagle 2014 One Ounce Platinum Proof Coin is still an Upcoming Product that’s doesn’t even show on the What’s New page – lol!

17. Tinto says

@cagcrisp

“Yes they did change the price from $1,600.00. It was $1,600.00 @ 1:08PM EDT…”

Yeah looks like those who ordered right off the bat, like the dealers (I’d guess to get FS/ER from TPG’s) have gotten a sweet deal .. esp. if they placed bulk orders since there is no household ordering limit

18. POP says

Strange indeed on the pricing for the 2014 Pt A/E. The two I ordered show a price of $1600 each on the email confirmation received and the pending credit card charge verifies that amount. I placed the order online soon after the noon opening. Now I look at the mint website and see a $1650 price (?).

Never saw this before from the mint and I started buying coins from them in1986.

19. Jon in CT says

Those who might find themselves in Southeast Florida during the first week of December this year might wish to attend the launch of the Everglades AtB quarter. The brochure for the Everglades launch events can be found here

Jon in CT says
    OCTOBER 20, 2014 AT 7:45 PM

Got an order in for the S Mint rolls stamped in DC on day of release then stamped at local PO near launch ceremony…:)

Grabbed the puck bullion today and sub for the P puck. Been looking forward to this coin all year…

Brad – Thanks, responded to your comment on that topic.

CC- As the others say, doesn’t appear to be a fingerprint, distortion goes too close too the rim and JFK’s hairline IMO. But I believe at this point it’s no variation either. Again, IMO I would consider it a defect and I’m curious how they got pass “professional” graders. Are all the pictures of the same coin? I’d like to see two examples side by side, it could determine if it is from the rinse (unlikely to look the same on multiple coins) or an issue with the die. If a lot of them show up, exactly the same, and it can be traced to a die (delamination of the die face for example) it might be an error.

I like this Platinum coin, but every image I’ve seen, young Liberty’s eye looks very weak. It could just be the images, and the issue might not exist coin in hand. The last few Platinum coins have looked nice IMO, but I’m not a buyer, too many other pokers in the fire.

23. Jerry Diekmann says

Beautiful coin – haven’t ever seen a “young Liberty” before. Like Beaver posted earlier, I sure wish the Mint would consider fractional coins – 1/2 oz. and 1/4 oz. That’s the only way I could ever afford buying any., and I’m sure other collectors feel the same way.

CC,

An observation of the discoloration spots on your coins, it’s clear that those are all separate coins, but I notice that the markings are all identical. Could it be that they originated at the die strike?

25. CasualCollector says

Thanks to all for your comments about this “mark” on the 2014-P Kennedy High Relief Clad.

@VA Bob
    Picture #1 is just a sample of what the entire coin looks like (zoomed out). Pictures #2 through #8 are actually 7 different graded coins:
    3 – NGC SP69 (2 of them are “First Day of Issue”
    2 – NGC SP68
    2 – ANACS SP69

I only own the 2 ANACS Coins. The 5 NGC Coins are NOT mine, I only saw them for sale on eBay. That is what made me curious about this mark on the coins.

Also, I agree it’s probably not a “fingerprint” — I only mentioned for lack of a better description I called it the “Kennedy Fingerprint” Variation (everyone likes a good name, LOL)

I think there are MORE of these either graded or ungraded. So my original question (in another thread), how many coins with the same “mark” would qualify this as a “Variation”, or is the answer no matter how many there are with the same “mark” (10 / 100 / 1,000 / 5,000 / etc.) that quantity of this type of mark doesn’t matter, and it is just a defect?

I am also curious how 7 coins (2 different grading companies) would still get their high grade — maybe in terms of grading factory marks are ok (but why didn’t the TPG’s look at it and consider it a fingerprint and then lower their grade?)

I have a hunch there are more than these 7 graded coins with the “mark”, and that there are many more that are ungraded at the moment…

26. Pittsburgh P says

CC in the earlier thread when I said I was curious on how they received high grades also was because I thought they were fingerprints before I saw the pictures… TPGs state that anything that occurs during production does not affect grade. So if it was pmd or post production then they would not have graded as high imo…

27. stephen m says

CC, I don’t know what this may be called in the future, variation or defect? In the present it’s a good find. I agree with others here and would think it came from the die. Unusual to say the least.

@CC: If you search up some uncleaned classic coins that are graded, you almost always see a fingerprint from over 100 years ago. That is not considered when grading a coin for strike and wear…It actually helps prove it has not been cleaned IMO. I am talking about things like Morgans from the 1800’s etc…I will try and find you a quick example…

29. cagcrisp says

Mint Kennedy excel spreadsheet update for 10/19/14 (change from 10/12/14 spreadsheet):

2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY GOLD COIN (K15) 64,303 (up 205)
    2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY UNC CLAD SET (K14) 134,631 (up 813)

30. cagcrisp says

Mint BHOF excel spreadsheet update for 10/19/14 (change from 10/12/14 spreadsheet):

Gold proof BHOF 32,495 (same)
    Gold unc. 17,694 (same)
    Silver proof 267,873 (down 5)
    Silver unc. 131,918 (down 4)
    Clad proof 218,956 (up 1,245)
    Clad unc. 133,564 (up 190)
    Young Collector 22,156 (up 138)

Gold BHOF 50,189 oversold 189
    Silver BHOF 399,791

31. Pittsburgh P says

Cag lol….
    If you take the first 2 weeks out my est. of 200 per week would almost be right on at 183.8

Over all 7 weeks the average is -14.6 sold per week lol…

After next week we should be at the original number sold first the week.

Did the math quickly in my head/scrap paper so I hope the numbers are correct πŸ™‚

32. cagcrisp says

Two Weeks ago we thought a price Decrease would be next. Now the next price movement could be Up…

33. gary says

With gold Kennedy coins in OGP or slab 69 selling in the $1000 to $1,100 range on Ebay it is a wonder the Mint can achieve sales of 200 coins per week!

34. ABC says

@gary,
    Not really. The people who are buying from the mint would have a chance at getting a 70 coin. You’re taking a chance when you buy an OGP coin from ebay that most likely has been through the cherry-picking process already. When you buy a 69 coin, you know you’re not getting a “perfect” coin.

35. cagcrisp says

@gary, I agree with what ABC just posted. I have 2 more Gold Kennedy’s to Buy and they will both be bought separately from the Mint. Kept in original boxes and put to sleep for many years. I wouldn’t even consider buying from the bay. Doing a simple search “2014 Gold Kennedy:” <$1,100 and you get "9" sold. Between $1,100 and $4,000 and you get "926" sold. So the odds of getting anything <$1,100 are slim. There are Many sold between $1,100 and $1,202.50…SO…………..you have to ask yourself is it worth at the Best, saving 8% by buying someone else's problem child? Not for me…

36. VA Rich says

Is there an Error or something here that we should know about? What continues to drive these sales, I can’t figure it out!

2014 AM EAGLE SILVER UNC 1 OZ – 205,399 (+5,562)

37. VA Rich says

K15 –
    8/10/2014 – 62,341
    8/17/2014 – 63,521 (+1180)
    8/25/2014 – 63,388 (-133); price increase to $1,277
    8/31/2014 – 64,305 (+917); price decrease to $1,240
    9/07/2014 – 63,927 (-378)
    9/14/2014 – 63,384 (-542)
    9/21/2014 – 63,567 (+183); price decrease to $1,202
    9/28/2014 – 63,757 (+190)
    10/05/2014 – 63,944 (+187)
    10/12/2014 – 64,098 (+154)
    10/19/2014 – 64,303 (+205)

For those in the guesstimate competition-

1,962 units sold over 10 weeks

Forecasted Sales from Sold Average:
    8/25 – 498 x 19 weeks + 63,388 = 72.8k
    8/31 – 654 x 18 weeks + 64,305 = 76k
    9/07 – 396 x 17 weeks + 63,927 = 70.6k
    9/14 – 208 (weekly avg) x 16 wks remaining +63,384 = 66.7k
    9/21 – 204 (weekly avg) x 15 wks remaining +63,567 = 66.6k
    9/28 – 202 (weekly avg) x 14 wks remaining +63,757 = 66.5k
    10/05 – 200 (weekly avg) x 13 wks remaining +63,944 = 66.5k
    10/12 – 195 (weekly avg) x 12 wks remaining +64,098 = 66.4k
    10/19 – 196 (weekly avg) x 11 wke remaining +64,303 = 66.4k

38. cagcrisp says

@VA Rich, Sales are Crazy for the Silver Unc. Total sales for the 2013 (Lowest) is 222,091. The 2014 Will Surpass 2013 Next week. Total sales all options for the 2014 are currently 220,910.

39. VA Rich says

cag – that’s just what I don’t get.., Ag is down considerably, the UNC price hasn’t dropped, it’s not the best of looking coins, so where’s the demand coming from (I’m basing my perspective off of sales from the last several years). Just seems to me there’s better value out there on some many different levels than the Unc ASE, but that’s just me.

40. bg35765 says

When you buy a 69 coin, you know you’re not getting a β€œperfect” coin.

They have you brainwashed, ABC. That 69 is just as likely to be perfect as a 70.

Do you really believe that 88% of the Kennedy coins brought to Chicago were perfect? But non-Chicago coins where the submitter did not pay extra for the First Strike label were given a 70 only 47% of the time?

Remember that there was no cherry picking in Chicago. Pretty much every coin sold there was graded.

Eighty-eight percent.

And frankly that number is low because some of the 69s were resubmitted the next day and now live in a 70 slab.

A 69 vs a 70 has little to do with the coin. It is about who submitted it and how much money the submitter makes for the TPG.

41. cagcrisp says

@bg35765, I don’t disagree that a 69 Could indeed be a 70 or that it depends on Submitting levels and Who is submitting it, however, IF you Buy a graded 69 it will always be a graded 69 unless you have it regraded at extra expense. You May save on the Buying end but you will Lose on the Selling end because, like it or not, it will always be a 69 as long as you keep it in the 69 slab…

42. ips_stuff says

– Off topic
    Surprised to see more (400 coins) bullion version of the Shenandoah 5 oz silver on the weekly numbers. I thought maybe they were only moving forward with the final two releases of the year. It appears the Arches is moving up in price, but buyers might get disappointed. The mint has the ability to produce to the stated mintage limit for the next few months.

Hope they don’t, it would be nice to have something this year with a low mintage.

43. GoldFishin says

@fmt- the first example you gave of a morgan with fingerprints is what I would say are canvas bag marks that show up on the coin from a chemical reaction from being enclosed in the bag for a long period of time. It is similar to album toning, but rarely are they beautiful like album or roll toning can be. You can see that the marks extend across the entire obverse surface.
    The second morgan example you gave is clearly a fingerprint and an excellent example.

44. GoldFishin says

@fmt- I could be wrong however in my assessment. It wouldn’t be the first time. I have to back up on my statement that rarely are morgan’s that have been bag toned are beautiful. I meant that type of toning that you showed. Some of the most beautiful morgans I have ever seen with “tile toning” are bag toned. They are fairly rare but absolutely gorgeous and sometimes come in exquisite blue/green tile like toning.

It’s a pity the obverse of that Morgan is scraped up, GoldFishin. The toned reverse is nice.

46. GoldFishin says

@VA Bob- yes, without that huge gouge across the lower face of Liberty, it would have been a 64 easy. I really like the die crack along the top of UNITED. It really gives the coin some character. I may be one of the few that like to have authentic die cracks on my morgan dollars, so long as they are not real ugly.

47. CasualCollector says

Does anyone happen to know approximately how many coins are struck per die (for the K14 Kennedy High Relief Clad – Philadelphia)?

I was searching last night and found 10 more examples of the “mark” discussed in the previous thread (total visible examples now at 17). The curious thing is that 8 of the 10 new examples were labeled by NGC as “First Day of Issue” — so I am wondering if a die used for the “First Day Release” batch of coins was the die that had this “mark” on it. – and perhaps someone at the Mint finally saw it and pulled that die? If I knew how many that can be struck by a single die, that might set the “ceiling” on the quantity of these — and it would be lowered if a Mint employee noticed the “mark” and pulled the die before it ran its life cycle.

48. CasualCollector says

@fmtransmitter

Thanks for the examples of fingerprints. Agreed, they can be nostalgic (makes you wonder who’s print it is from so long ago).

However, “fingerprints” on a 2014 set that has “Uncirculated” in the title of the set? That might be ok with the TPG’s, but for me it kind of ruins the “Uncirculated” aspect of the coin…

I have to sadly agree with this comment…

@CC: I agree on the fingerprint provenance…I “cowboy” on a horse riding into the sunset in Carson City with a “Squaw” in the distance watching behing a sage brush…Cool!

VA Rich says
    OCTOBER 21, 2014 AT 2:54 PM

2014 AM EAGLE SILVER UNC 1 OZ – 205,399 (+5,562)
    Early holiday shopping?

52. Jeff Wilson says

Has anyone come across a 2012 platinum eagle With an error on the reverse at 12 o’clook cherry bomb above the Minutemen
    with a double edged E and a cracked S in States? It is a PF 69