2014 US Mint Uncirculated Coin Set

Today, May 13, 2014 at 12:00 Noon ET, the United States Mint will begin sales of the 2014 Uncirculated Coin Set, a product also referred to as the Mint Set. Together with the previously released 2014 Proof Set and 2014 Silver Proof Set, this completes the US Mint’s trio of core annual sets for the current year.

2014 Mint Set

The 2014 Mint Set includes two folders containing 14 uncirculated coins each from the Philadelphia and Denver Mint facilities. The 28 coins which form the complete set have a collective face value of $13.82.

Specifically, the following coins are included in each set:

• 2014 P & D Lincoln Cents
  • 2014 P & D Jefferson Nickels
  • 2014 P & D Roosevelt Dimes
  • 2014 P & D Great Smoky Mountains National Park Quarters
  • 2014 P & D Shenandoah National Park Quarters
  • 2014 P & D Arches National Park Quarters
  • 2014 P & D Great Sand Dunes National Park Quarters
  • 2014 P & D Everglades National Park Quarters
  • 2014 P & D Kennedy Half Dollars
  • 2014 P & D Warren G. Harding Presidential Dollars
  • 2014 P &D Calvin Coolidge Presidential Dollars
  • 2014 P & D Herbert Hoover Presidential Dollars
  • 2014 P & D Franklin D. Roosevelt Presidential Dollars
  • 2014 P & D Native American Dollars

The 14 coins from each facility are sealed in blisters and displayed in a folder. The folders are illustrated with an image of the American flag accented in blue for Philadelphia and in red for Denver. The interior of the folder contains a certificate of authenticity and coin specification information.

The uncirculated quality coins included in the set are struck on special presses using greater force than circulating coins. This results in sharp and intricately detailed images.

Pricing for the 2014 United States Mint Uncirculated Coin Set is $27.95, unchanged from the prior year. Orders fulfilled through the US Mint’s Online Subscription Program are eligible for the discounted price of $25.15. There are no stated product limits or household ordering limits in place.

As seen for the US Mint’s other core annual coin sets, sales levels and the corresponding mintages for the Mint Set have continually drifted lower in recent years. The 2012 Mint Set generated some attention and strong secondary market premiums when it sold out in late January 2013 at last reported sales of 395,443 units, representing the lowest sales for the product type since 1963.

The 2013 Mint Set went on sale on June 4, 2013 and still remains available on the US Mint’s website. Total sales for the product to date have reached only 359,185 units, which leaves open the possibility for another fresh low upon the eventual sell out.

Comments

1. David says

I was under the impression that there would be something special done for the 50th anniversary of the Kennedy half. I have seen nothing so far. Perhaps the rumours from that year were just that….

2. CasualCollector says

When I look at the “D” Mint Mark on some of the BHOF Uncirculated Clad Half-Dollars, it sometimes appears to be either outlined or laying on top of another “D” (almost like it is one “D” pressed into another “D”). At some angles, it almost appears to be a Double Mint Mark. I have looked at a few of these coins, and at least half (of about 30) have some sort of “outline” — especially the top right corner (the loop of the “D”). The pictures at the following link illustrate what I am talking about.

3. CasualCollector says

I should have added that the pictures are of the only coin I have that looks like that. All other coins I have looked at are either crisp D’s or only have a slight “edging” to varying degrees…

4. stephen m says

Jon in CT, Thanks for the listing. Wouldn’t it be nice to run up on a 1975 no S proof dime. Ranked#2 on the list. I read or heard somewhere that these were made illegally and smuggled out of the mint in an oil pan on a fork lift. Anyone else ever hear or read this?

5. charles says

David, the Kennedy clad and silver sets, as well as a gold coin will without a doubt be issued later this year.

6. joe says

I really do like the silver BHOF coins; even more than the gold or clad. the larger curved coins are really impressive. While I am a bit bearish on the silver BHOF coins over the short haul, I expect them to do well over the long haul.

While they would have been much more expensive, it would have been sweet to have a 1 ounce gold BHOF coin with a mintage of 10K and a household limit of 1 or 2. A coin like that would definitely be over $5K by now. The curved look of a larger gold coin would be impressive.

I have been trying to figure out a way to post a link of my own photo’s for various questions I have. Would you mind sharing how to do it casual? Also, I see what you mean and although wishful thinking, that IMo does NOT appear to be any sort of double die. Here you can clearly see what a true double looks like in this classic coin.
    See the “doubleing” effect?

charles says
    MAY 14, 2014 AT 8:25 AM

ANACS used EU70, EU69, etc for the enhanced silver eagles
    THAT makes more sense to me. Thanks charles! They are the Oldest grading company in the USA…

@joe: IMo @ 5k many people would be priced out and the Mint is in the business to MOVE product and on to the next one ie produce coins that many can afford plus they already have the ultra low mintage gold spouse coins and 1 ounce Eagle’s so for a commem they stayed true to their history with the HOF gold as far as size, weight, and purity..You can ALWAYS have one made for yourself? Medalic Art Company would be happy to make one for you…Be prepared to pay but it could be done..

CC, wow, excellent shots, and nice link too! That is exactly what I was referring to. If you ask me, it looks like a double strike.

fmt, The more exaggeration of the double die, the more attention the coins get. The 1955 DD is a huge classic,but there are many other minor DD’s which are lesser known, but are DD’s none the less. A lot is not know about these .50 clads at the moment, but I am hoping that it does turn out to be assigned a designation. Now wouldn’t that be cool!

Anyone notice the strong sells of the 2014 proof Buffalo in the first week? From Coinupdate:

“Through the reporting date of May 12, sales have reached 7,899 pieces. This is much stronger than the opening sales figures for the product over the past two years. The 2013-dated offering had opened with sales of 4,863 pieces and the 2012-dated offering had opened at 4,110 units.”

12. CasualCollector says

@fm – for posting the pics I happened to know someone who was building out a new site and I was able to use their hosting for the pics. I understand it’s not a ’55 DD. It’s just a strange Mint Mark. I have seen the “D” mint mark be :
    1) Solid/crisp
    2) exhibit some sort of “edge” like an outline font of some sort (the degree of “edge” varies
    3) extreme outline almost like the “D” on top is pressed into the “D” on the bottom

@Dustyroads – thanks! I have been meeaning to post the pics or ask the group — but I did not see a “FILES” section for this blog. Is the coin(s) you are looking at the same level of “outline”? maybe more / maybe less?

13. joe says

@fmtransmitter – I wouldn’t expect the Mint’s sales price to be much more than that of a typical 1 ounce gold coin, so I’m confident the Mint would be able to easily move them. Just look at how the gold 2013 RP AGBs moved off the shelves last year. I was referring to the secondary market price when I stated that such a coin would be at $5K by now.

It’s my personal suspicion that a great number of numismatists have come to believe that $1300. is a good time to buy, even though the price is historically high. I’ve been wondering lately as I watch the AU price refuse to dip below $1273. if we are not looking at an excepted new floor for the medal. Either that, or the US Mint is much more savy than we are giving them credit for! I have also suspected for some time now that these increased sales are due to an evolving demographic of numismatic purchasers who were at one time only bullion purchasers.

CC, Mine has the same outline, but I would have to say that yours is quite prominent, possibly more.

16. bg35765 says

The proof gold buffalo’s initial price last year was $1790 compared to $1640 this year. That probably explains part of the higher sales.

The other factor is dealers getting caught short on inventory with the early sell out last year.

17. VA Rich says

Dusty – you able to lock down a 5 oz WTE at a good price to your liking yet?

No, but GovMint called yesterday pushing the 5 oz. koalas. I did however ask them to let me know when they had another batch of the WTE’s arrive, but the rep sounded like the Perth Mint may be done with them, nothing certain. Still don’t want to pay $6 now.

Steve, I think that’s right where you should be.

My wait for the Silver Proof Set is finally over, now for the critique: Yes, all the Washington obverses are showing lines.
    All Presidential dollar reverse sides have lines on Liberty.
    The Native American dollar has lines on both sides, being more obvious on the reverse. Mostly across young Indian girls face.
    The Kennedy half reverse has lines streaking down the eagle.
    And the Roosevelt dime has lines on the obverse streaking down Roosevelt’s face, this time in the opposite direction.
    I have no intentions of sending them back, but would deem them a US Mint fail.

20. Dave says

Send them back! The Treasury department will reimburse your postage and insurance, and here’s a new one for ‘ya all, they also pay the postage to send the request for reimbursement to Novitex. Just buy the stamp on the same receipt as the product return. Don’t forget to make copies of EVERYTHING and remember to send the receipt from the PO with your request.

If we keep accepting garbage at premium prices, they will continue to send it. At face + 10-20% then ok. But you are paying many multiples of face value. You should get quality for that premium.

21. Dave says

I sent all 5 of my sets back. I’ve gotten better quality in circulation at Costco and Target! Ok, not proofs, but some of the cent coins sure looked like it.

22. Dave says

Wow! Just checked the Bay and in OGP there are only 4 silver dollar items closing today and only 4 tomorrow ( at this time.).
    Looks like OGP will hold it’s premium if the supply remains that low!

23. NATATACK says

A few years back a collector was requesting the redbook company to include mintages/pricing for the satin finish coins but request was rejected. Not sure if the individual coins or sets of those years will ever catch on from the unique finish or ever get recognized.

24. Scott says

Dave and others,
    I confirmed with the mint today, there will be a gold and silver Kennedy half this year. Mintage is not known, but most likely will be the deal where they offer it for 1 month and then close it out. I was also told the coin will say 1964-2014. They are unsure if they’ll be an anniversary “set”.